Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Bob, you've broken my heart. I will never be able to forgive you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOU7MdkwyOk

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Go go safe picks (also locking up a gimmick player I used a lot back in the day)

edit: who was mostly valuable for staying under salary cap but welp

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Are we clear to submit for round 2? I'm SHOOTIN FROM THE HEART

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
8 picks for Kevin Brown. Awesome.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Got my Dodger babieeeezz

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I wanted to get round one up fast so I'm not ready for more picks yet. I'll let you know soon when round two starts.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I'm very surprised that the one player I did get was Roger Clemens, I figured I'd get Knoblauch or Erstad and miss on all the pitchers

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

No one gets these guys:

code:
Adrian Beltre
Albert Belle
Alex Rodriguez
Andruw Jones
Barry Bonds
Ben Sheets
Bryce Harper
Chuck Knoblauch
Clayton Kershaw
Curt Schilling
Darin Erstad
Eric Gagne
Gary Sheffield
Greg Maddux 
Hideo Nomo
Jake Arrieta
Jason Schmidt
Jeff Bagwell
Joe Mauer 
Johan Santana
Jose Bautista
Kenny Lofton
Kevin Brown
Koji Uehara
Larry Walker
Manny Ramirez
Mark McGwire
Matt Harvey
Nomar Garciaparra
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Roberto Alomar
Roy Halladay
Sammy Sosa
Todd Helton
Tony Gwynn
Zack Greinke
These players were taken successfully:
code:
Albert Pujols
Barry Larkin
Bret Boone
Carlos Beltran
Chipper Jones
Chris Carpenter 
Chris Sale
Clay Buchholz
Coors Field
Dee Gordon
Dodger Stadium
Doug Drabek
Edgar Martinez
Eric Chavez
Frank Thomas
Garrett Richards
Grady Sizemore
Hanley Ramirez
Hong-Chih Kuo
Ichiro
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jason Giambi
Jim Edmonds
Jose Fernandez
Juan Guzman
Ken Caminiti
Luis Castillo
Marcus Giles
Mariano Rivera
Matt Kemp
Matt Williams
Max Scherzer
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Mike Trout
Pat Hentgen
Paul Goldschmidt
Paul Molitor
Roger Clemens
Tim Lincecum
Tim Salmon
Todd Hundley
Troy Tulowitzki
Vernon Wells
Vladimir Guerrero
Wade Boggs
Yu Darvish

kensei fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 2, 2015

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I'm very surprised that the one player I did get was Roger Clemens, I figured I'd get Knoblauch or Erstad and miss on all the pitchers

I was so close to picking Roger. Should have done it :)

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Bob Shabazz posted:

I wanted to get round one up fast so I'm not ready for more picks yet. I'll let you know soon when round two starts.

Soz boss I sent mine already, ignore them please and I'll send them again when you tell me to

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Son of a loving bitch I didn't get Larry Walker? He was supposed to be my lock MVP

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I'm not going to accept picks tonight, I need time to come up with my list. Any time after midnight Mountain time is fine, I'll send mine to the first set I open tomorrow.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Edgar and Garrett Richards. Just who you want to start a franchise with.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Edgar and Garrett Richards. Just who you want to start a franchise with.

I almost picked Edgar. Nicely done.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Nice, I hoped everyone would forget that Big Time Timmy Jim was good at one point.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Power of Pecota posted:

Zamboni Jesus also picked Barry Bonds so no they didn't.

I'm guessing NutShellBill hates me now since we were both the only ones to block each other on Ben Sheets AND Tony Gwynn

Nope. You are clearly a gentleman of discernment and taste.

Really wishing I'd got at least two of my picks, though.

You and me, Chipper. But I'mma call you Larry.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Devo posted:

Son of a loving bitch I didn't get Larry Walker? He was supposed to be my lock MVP

No, we did not get him. Maybe we can split him? 320 ABs each?

Also!

When are round 2 picks due?

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
My life was great before this and now my life is terrible.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

My life was great before this and now my life is terrible.

Put this in the ol' WIS.txt file

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sent my round 2 picks in.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is my first season on What if Sports. Can someone help me here with a bit of strategy based on this leagues rules of no DH. So I drafted Paul Molitor for example, but the same idea for someone like Frank Thomas. If you want to use one of their best offensive seasons, where they happened to play the majority of their time in real life at DH , but played 20 games at 1b, can we draft them from that year to be our full time 1b, or do they only get to play 100 ABs or whatever because thats how often they played the field in that season?

regfairfield
May 22, 2005
I either started off strong or more likely I have no idea what goes into a good WiS team.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

zapplez posted:

This is my first season on What if Sports. Can someone help me here with a bit of strategy based on this leagues rules of no DH. So I drafted Paul Molitor for example, but the same idea for someone like Frank Thomas. If you want to use one of their best offensive seasons, where they happened to play the majority of their time in real life at DH , but played 20 games at 1b, can we draft them from that year to be our full time 1b, or do they only get to play 100 ABs or whatever because thats how often they played the field in that season?
You can play a guy at any position as often as you would like. There is no PA or defensive restriction in that sense. You could play Molitor all 162 games at SS if you wanted, although this would be a terrible idea since he does not have any ratings at that position. The exception may be RF which sees the fewest opportunities. In general, anyone position player can play any position for any length of time. It's not capped.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And will our league be bound by this 80 million max salary for the team rule?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

zapplez posted:

And will our league be bound by this 80 million max salary for the team rule?

No, there is no cap for this league.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Ivan Drago posted:

You can play a guy at any position as often as you would like. There is no PA or defensive restriction in that sense. You could play Molitor all 162 games at SS if you wanted, although this would be a terrible idea since he does not have any ratings at that position. The exception may be RF which sees the fewest opportunities. In general, anyone position player can play any position for any length of time. It's not capped.

generally infielders can play in the outfield without it being disastrous, but outfielders in the infield is not a good idea unless they have ratings for said infield positions.

i once played jose bautista at ss and he committed over 500 errors.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

kensei posted:

No one gets these guys:

code:
Adrian Beltre
Alex Rodriguez
Andruw Jones
Barry Bonds
Ben Sheets
Bryce Harper
Chuck Knoblauch
Clayton Kershaw
Curt Schilling
Darin Erstad
Eric Gagne
Gary Sheffield
Greg Maddux 
Hideo Nomo
Jake Arrieta
Jason Schmidt
Jeff Bagwell
Joe Mauer 
Johan Santana
Jose Bautista
Kenny Lofton
Kevin Brown
Koji Uehara
Larry Walker
Manny Ramirez
Mark McGwire
Matt Harvey
Nomar Garciaparra
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Roberto Alomar
Roy Halladay
Sammy Sosa
Todd Helton
Tony Gwynn
Zack Greinke

This list is missing Albert Belle.

Also, just to be clear, we cannot draft from the black list OR from the list of players taken already, correct?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I don't know if there's a rule against it per se but I honestly don't know why you'd want to.

Ivan Drago posted:

So even if one of my players only managed 300PA in one season through injury, I can give them 600PA? How does this affect their stats?

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 2, 2015

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know if there's a rule against it per se but I honestly don't know why you'd want to.

So even if one of my players only managed 300PA in one season through injury, I can give them 600PA? How does this affect their stats?

They will perform very badly if you push their innings/PA limits too much. Otherwise you could use guys like 2003 Eric Gagne as a starter every day. If I'm remembering correctly you can usually get about 10% over their listed playing time without performance degrading too badly.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

That previous response was to a slightly different question. If a hypothetical real life player had 600 PA - 300 of which came with him at 1B and 300 at DH - that doesn't mean you have to follow those same splits. You have 600 PA and can play him all year at 1B (or any position depending on how daring you want to be).

In your case, if you only have 300 PA then that's all you're going to get. Like Devo says though, you can usually push it a bit before they completely fall apart.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Devo posted:

They will perform very badly if you push their innings/PA limits too much. Otherwise you could use guys like 2003 Eric Gagne as a starter every day. If I'm remembering correctly you can usually get about 10% over their listed playing time without performance degrading too badly.

I think, generally, better pitchers can be stretched a bit more too because it goes by pitch count as opposed to actual innings. Less batters faced allows for more innings.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

This list is missing Albert Belle.

Fixed in our spreadsheet and I updated the post.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
in general i think the ideal is something like having a lineup with declining PA of something like

at which point you should be able to use your set lineup every game without getting fatigued and needing to have a bench. in practice this doesn't really work in theme leagues because the theme restrictions but the basic PA requirements hold.

having 950-1000 starting pitcher IP and at least 1400 good pitcher innings is more important than having enough PA i think though.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I've updated the second post with the blacklist as well as the link to the blacklist Google Doc.

16 sets of picks in so far!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Bob Shabazz posted:

I've updated the second post with the blacklist as well as the link to the blacklist Google Doc.

16 sets of picks in so far!

Mine will come later tonight - maybe set a deadline for tomorrow, sometime after you're done with work or whatever?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I don't really want to set hard deadlines. If there are stragglers I'll talk with them and figure it out.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Picks are in. I fully expect to be skunked this round.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
Mine are in. Would be cool to get more than 100 innings and 0 PAs out of these but we shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Picks are in. I fully expect to be skunked this round.

I have two picks that I think I'm an idiot for submitting (although I thought the same thing about Mike Trout who I really wanted to pair up for a potential Salmon/Trout OF)

• Locked thread