Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

precision posted:

Another essential Mickey Rourke classic is Barfly though I don't know if it's streaming anywhere right now.

e: it's on Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus (or whatever you call "I pay for Hulu")

It's a good movie, but it's kind of misleading. There's not near enough vomiting for what the title suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

axleblaze posted:

I'm not sure if Rare Exports is still on streaming, but if it is, that.

Looks good! It's made the list

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's a good movie, but it's kind of misleading. There's not near enough vomiting for what the title suggests.

I think of that same bit every time I read the title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSJfpMUqKDc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For that matter, there's not enough vomiting for being a screenplay written by Charles Bukowski :v:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

morestuff posted:

I think of that same bit every time I read the title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSJfpMUqKDc
I wonder if not mentioning Problem Child 2 was an oversight or intentional.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

axleblaze posted:

I'm not sure if Rare Exports is still on streaming, but if it is, that.
God yes. The Goonies except it's Trollhunter instead. With Christmas!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 1, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Electric Boogaloo is basically the 80s in documentary form.

It also put into sharper focus why I disliked Kung Fury so much. While re-watching scenes from the movies Kung Fury was so desperately aping, it just seemed so spiteful and cynical. I don't get the feeling that they loved 80s cinema, only that they love parodying how terrible it was.

And maybe you just had to be a kid in the 80s to truly love Cannon Films. Delta Force, Invasion U.S.A., Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo, Treasure of the 4 Crowns, American Ninja, Cobra, Bloodsport, Kickboxer.

I remember watching all of these as a kid and being absolutely enamored and 100% entertained, re-enacting my favorite scenes with my friends. Now through adult eyes I can appreciate just how ridiculously bad these movies were, and enjoy them on that level as well.

I watch Kung Fury and it feels like they just skipped straight to the "hahaha these movies were terrible" stage without experiencing any of the wonder that was 80s cinema.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It also put into sharper focus why I disliked Kung Fury so much. While re-watching scenes from the movies Kung Fury was so desperately aping, it just seemed so spiteful and cynical. I don't get the feeling that they loved 80s cinema, only that they love parodying how terrible it was.

And maybe you just had to be a kid in the 80s to truly love Cannon Films. Delta Force, Invasion U.S.A., Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo, Treasure of the 4 Crowns, American Ninja, Cobra, Bloodsport, Kickboxer.

I remember watching all of these as a kid and being absolutely enamored and 100% entertained, re-enacting my favorite scenes with my friends. Now through adult eyes I can appreciate just how ridiculously bad these movies were, and enjoy them on that level as well.

I watch Kung Fury and it feels like they just skipped straight to the "hahaha these movies were terrible" stage without experiencing any of the wonder that was 80s cinema.

I was born in 1994 and I unironically love Cannon Films :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah, "80s action" has become kind of a genre that's only farce. But the 80s was an amazing time which nobody could recreate without some wild bladerunner-esque scifi poo poo going down anyway. Which is pretty much how it ought to be, come to think of it.

But Kung Fury doesn't have the uninhibited fun, it's just trying to do a low budget full Spaceballs/Scary Movie treatment, the toxic avenger version of that movie that made fun of '300'.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, "80s action" has become kind of a genre that's only farce. But the 80s was an amazing time which nobody could recreate without some wild bladerunner-esque scifi poo poo going down anyway. Which is pretty much how it ought to be, come to think of it.

But Kung Fury doesn't have the uninhibited fun, it's just trying to do a low budget full Spaceballs/Scary Movie treatment, the toxic avenger version of that movie that made fun of '300'.

I fully admit nostalgia may be unfairly coloring my reaction to Kung Fury. I also didn't like The FP. Maybe it's just hard to parody movies that are already unintentional parodies.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I fully admit nostalgia may be unfairly coloring my reaction to Kung Fury. I also didn't like The FP. Maybe it's just hard to parody movies that are already unintentional parodies.
Have you seen the remake of the Lost Boys. I'm genuinely interested, in the vein of this convo on 80s movies. I have some strong opinions and would love to hear others, but I don't know if it's streaming anywhere. That remake is important to me because of Eighties Movies (a ton of 90s movies are also 80s movies, btw).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

Have you seen the remake of the Lost Boys. I'm genuinely interested, in the vein of this convo on 80s movies. I have some strong opinions and would love to hear others, but I don't know if it's streaming anywhere. That remake is important to me because of Eighties Movies (a ton of 90s movies are also 80s movies, btw).

Wait, what?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

I remember watching it, but remember none of the relevant plot points, so it must not have made a huge impression on me. I still need to give The Thirst a try.

Holy poo poo, Over the Top was Golan Globus? These guys basically directed half of my childhood.

I really need to find a copy of The Apple now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The funniest thing about Electric Boogaloo is whenever they cut to the MGM guy who clearly completely despises Cannon Films and resents ever having had to deal with them. Even when it's pointed out that a movie they made was good or successful he's like "NO. That doesn't count! It still sucked, they all sucked, gently caress off."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Have you seen the remake of the Lost Boys.

You mean the sequels? :confused:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My favorite part in the Cannon documentary is when Elvira showed up out of character with no mention of Elvira at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The same way many historians will, for discussion purposes, speak of one century ending and another beginning based around certain major events that cause a huge shift in culture instead of just saying one ends on the year. As the 19th century ends with the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, to me the 80s action movie ended with Under Siege II: Dark Territory in 1995. I love that movie.

One thing I found interesting was the correlation of how Hollywood star payment got so inflated because of them paying so much to get Stallone to do Over the Top. After Cannon went bankrupt and Golan/Globus split up, Golan did the same thing with Death Wish 5. Death Wish 5 was set up to have a budget of $5 million. Like Stallone with Over the Top Bronson was like this is dumb as hell you'd have to give me like $5 million to do this. And he got it which is why the movie is shot in Toronto instead of NY for the few minutes of time they're not in a studio (every interior shot in the movie).

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I totally agree with you about Kung Fury. I think of the things best things ever in this vein is the "Arab terrorists" in Planet Terror that are helping Naveen Andrews' character. Planet Terror obviously had a high budget compared to any of the movies it was homaging, but they really nailed the aesthetic of the ultra cheaply made stuff like Black Cobra 2 and 3 by having them just be generically swarthy dudes with headbands. It was perfect.

Speaking of which, it ends up up focusing mostly on Cannon Films anyway but I think the documentary Bad Arab is still on Netflix which is also pretty cool.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 2, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

That Cannon film documentary was great. It makes so much more sense why stuff like Lifeforce is so bizzare now!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, it ends up up focusing mostly on Cannon Films anyway but I think the documentary Bad Arab is still on Netflix which is also pretty cool.

Reel Bad Arabs is a good companion piece to the Cannon documentary because Golan and Globus did to arabs what Steven Spielberg did to sharks.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

hemale in pain posted:

That Cannon film documentary was great. It makes so much more sense why stuff like Lifeforce is so bizzare now!

I like that during the discussion of all these odd films, they still had to take time to point out Lifeforce is truly loving batshit.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0

Also this song is probably the most played in my workout mix.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sleeveless posted:

Reel Bad Arabs is a good companion piece to the Cannon documentary because Golan and Globus did to arabs what Steven Spielberg did to sharks.

Finding out that a ton of the most sexist, sexually exploitative and "Arabs are the generic bad guys" movies of the 80s were all made by a couple of Israelis was like finding a missing piece of the American pop culture puzzle.

E: That came out a wee bit more anti-Semitic than I meant it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 2, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I need a movie to watch

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I need a movie to watch

Rambo III

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I need a movie to watch

Ravenous
Pontypool
The Good the Bad and the Weird
The Legend of Drunken Master
God of Cookery

Just go in blind. enjoy

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Ravenous and Legend of Drunken Master are legit, haven't seen the rest. I'd recommend a double viewing, and Ravenous is a weird comedy/horror/thriller mixture with a lot of good acting and scene chewing.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 2, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Pontypool it is. Thanks

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkie Disease posted:

The Good the Bad and the Weird
Saw this last week for the first time and I do not get the hype.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Junkie Disease posted:

God of Cookery

Yeeeees.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's mostly people who are jazzed at old-school action scenes, most of the movie is boring garbage but the opening with the characters running through the train in long cuts tickles 80s nerds something fierce.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God of Cookery is ridiculously good and you should absolutely watch it with the English dub.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Into the Abyss is really good and also incredibly depressing on just about every level.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watch Golgo13 or Cowboy Bebop on Hulu Plus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watch The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime or Fargo season 1 on Hulu.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

If you ever get the chance to see Tears of The Black Tiger, watch that instead.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Marketing New Brain posted:

Ravenous and Legend of Drunken Master are legit, haven't seen the rest. I'd recommend a double viewing, and Ravenous is a weird comedy/horror/thriller mixture with a lot of good acting and scene chewing.

Ravenous loving owns. The soundtrack alone is worth the watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Call Me Lucky is a good movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sleeveless posted:

It's mostly people who are jazzed at old-school action scenes, most of the movie is boring garbage but the opening with the characters running through the train in long cuts tickles 80s nerds something fierce.

I like most of it and the Mr.Bean action scenes

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Thanks for the Pontypool recommendation. Pretty cool movie. When I was watching it it reminded me of Coherence in a way although it was definitely less confusing. Just a really solid indie film that kind of fucks with your head as you try to figure out what's going on and what's happening to these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Thanks for the Pontypool recommendation. Pretty cool movie. When I was watching it it reminded me of Coherence in a way although it was definitely less confusing. Just a really solid indie film that kind of fucks with your head as you try to figure out what's going on and what's happening to these people.
Glad you liked it.
Watch the after credits scene then Google some interpretations