Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I have never dealt with a competent person from any telco, I'm pretty sure it's idiots all the way down (or up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

I have never dealt with a competent person from any telco, I'm pretty sure it's idiots all the way down (or up).

One of my Comcast Business installers was incredibly competent when he came to wire up my apartment. Knew what he was doing, was friendly, and cut one of the dead "drill a hole in the wall" cables that a previous tenant had left.

Another Comcast Business installer in another (commercial/artist loft) building managed to run wiring from a central panel within the building to our unit, including drilling holes in the wall and leaving cable at the demarc, and then left without even hooking it to a meter. Second tech showed up the next day (this was a 2-person 2-day job for some reason) and discovered that while the building was wired internally by them for cable, they hadn't actually lit the building, which could have been verified by the first tech if that tech gave even half a poo poo.

That second story is the only time I've literally invoiced Comcast for my time and effort, and they loving paid up.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. The way I had heard it, they got physical access to one POS machine and went from there. The article is almost certainly right, though.

I worked as a field tech at Targets in 2014. I got an urgent ticket about a server being down. I get on site, the server shows okay. I call my help desk, they check it out, it looks okay. They call Target's server support. It turns out someone on that team had tried to access the server without the credentials, and freaked out when they got no reply. Apparently before the breach, Target's servers were open to their intranet without any credentials. That's from the same person who told me the physical access version of the breach story, though. So take it with a grain of salt.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/inside-target-corp-days-after-2013-breach/

quote:

In one instance, they were able to communicate directly with cash registers in checkout lanes after compromising a deli meat scale located in a different store.

Emphasis theirs. Truth always ends up stranger than fiction :psyduck:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Friend of mine went from doing infosec to running a restaurant a few years ago and he's still looking for a point of sale system that isn't either a complete piece of poo poo, a massive security hole or both.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
We had a wise + competent rep for our ISP. He died during a heart attack two months ago. His boss is filling in for him on the admin side of things and says his office is still raw -- everyone knew and loved him because he knew what the heck he was doing and made time to tutor others.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I get back to my desk from making a coffee and the phone is going,

"Hello, IT support?"
"Where the bloody hell were you? Making a coffee?" I can tell from the tone and anger it's my boss!
"Yes, actually making an actual coffee."
"Well, tell the new guy to answer his loving phone will you!"
"He was also making a coffee with me."
"Doesn't take two of you..." grumbles into something I just ignore. he continues, "This other guy needs you to turn his laptop on for him as he's out the office."
"Yes, I've already done that, I was letting it boot while I made a coffee and was going to reply when I got back to my desk. Anything else you'd like me to already be doing?"
"No, that's fine."

I'm slipping. I'm letting passive aggressive bullshit comments drop out and letting pointless bullshit get to me. Hard to keep up the pretense some days.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

We recently installed a comcast business MAN and I was blown the gently caress away by how good these guys were. They did a site survey, sketched our building in a CAD program, took 50 pictures and did a complete mockup on the pictures of where they were running the fiber.

The fact that it was Comcast just made it all the more surreal. Definitely the exception, not the rule however.

We're trying to get a simple MPLS link installed in Rochester NY, the circuit was originally ordered in July... delivery date was Dec/1 from the LEC. They emailed us at 4:30 yesterday saying basically "Yeah, didn't get this done, will try to finish it in the next 3 weeks, k?" :psyboom:

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Yay, ISP chat.

I've been posting a bit about in the small shop admin thread, but every interaction I've had with CenturyLink has left me convinced they are being run by a retarded alpha version of Skynet. The people themselves, when you get to talk to them, are helpful enough; but fuckin' Hell the underlying systems and business practices are absolute poo poo.

It has taken me a solid -week- of hassling them on the phone to get an additional ADSL line order confirmed; a week of the order silently being cancelled, specs changing, fees appearing\disappearing. I cannot get my head around how they seem so blase` to all the weird things their system throws up at them either; isn't anyone slightly worried about orders disappearing for a business client?

The tech side of things is terrible as well (we currently have a line running from the exchange to our demarc -across the ground- that's been needing to be buried for 2 weeks), but being from Australia originally I'm already a bit desensitised to horrible DSL tech.

The weirdest issue I had the other week though I'd love to know the reason behind. We have two ADSL lines coming in, and a T1. Both ADSL lines run from the same exchange, both CenturyLink. T1 is through another provider, but it runs on CenturyLink's lines. Most web traffic is over the primary ADSL line, VoIP traffic of the T1, some other application specific data over secondary ADSL with some simple load balancing of spill over traffic from the primary when needed. On our internal network, we suddenly couldn't reach our externally hosted website. Test showed a whole bunch of long time outs and inconsistent packet loss when trying to reach the IP range of it, but all other traffic was fine. Out of curiousity, I got the switch to start routing all website traffic over the T1... and it worked! Then for funsies, changed the route to the secondary ADSL... and that was fine as well! Switched back to primary... borked. I can't figure out how it could be technical; I imagine both ADSL lines at least are hitting the same routing hardware at there end. Deliberate throttling maybe? CenturyLink support of course had no useful answers.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I used to work at TWC, and we had competent, knowledgeable, and courteous people in our department (Tier 3 support). Good loving luck getting to us though.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
Come work in Montana and you guys will learn to love the telcos your dealing with now. Im talking stuff like you sign a 5 year multi million dollar contract and they take over a year to implement and then fail to deliver what was promised. Oh that new MPLS core we were waiting on for 6 months isn't for our traffic? No I dont want my MPLS traffic routed to Colorado and back.... no half a t-1 of throughput, 120 ping between sites is not acceptable. On the up side they hosed up when we canceled the contract and sent us 120k... If it was me I would have cashed that check just for the hell they put us through. Luckly we found a small outfit that was great... until they got bought out. I hate ISPs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zakutambah posted:

...isn't anyone slightly worried about orders disappearing for a business client?

They really aren't. Customer service is one of the many reasons my company will no longer do business with them in any manner at all. Even so far as to tell customers we can't guarantee our product uptime if it's connected to a Century Link line. On more than one occasion, they've taken one of our static IPs and assigned it to another customer without any warning or notification. All the time swearing that the old IP is still correct in their system, even though it clearly was't. Every time it takes us physically disconnecting the line to show we were still getting ICMP Echo Responses from said IP. Which would be impossible if someone else wasn't using it.

gently caress Century Link and their lovely service.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

tehfeer posted:

Come work in Montana and you guys will learn to love the telcos your dealing with now. Im talking stuff like you sign a 5 year multi million dollar contract and they take over a year to implement and then fail to deliver what was promised. Oh that new MPLS core we were waiting on for 6 months isn't for our traffic? No I dont want my MPLS traffic routed to Colorado and back.... no half a t-1 of throughput, 120 ping between sites is not acceptable. On the up side they hosed up when we canceled the contract and sent us 120k... If it was me I would have cashed that check just for the hell they put us through. Luckly we found a small outfit that was great... until they got bought out. I hate ISPs.

The client i'm assigned to deals with Verizon exclusively now. I was not part of planning/implementation (we don't handle network for the client), but they definitely delivered what was promised and in a reasonable time frame (roughly 2500 remote sites, that I know of, to handle so not the largest client ever but no small task).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're in the UK and you haven't been enlightened by working with Exponential-e then I feel sorry for you.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

flosofl posted:

gently caress Century Link and their lovely service.

Seriously. We're a little stuck with them on a month-to-month basis for the next few months until we've sorted out officespace, but after that I am pushing for a nice fibre connection from anyone else but them.

And again, when I included that sentiment to one of the supervisors I was dealing with, they really didn't seemed fussed. A business customer informing you that they have no confidence in their service, and that with no confidence in their service (meaning I can't have confidence in mine) that they wouldn't even be considered as our ISP for a new buildout... and they just seem 'whatever'. :psyduck: I cannot fathom how you stay in business with such an attitude.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just had a member of upper management come in and scream that the webcam they had wasn't working. They plugged the usb cable into an iPhone charger and plugged it in the wall.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Just had a member of upper management come in and scream that the webcam they had wasn't working. They plugged the usb cable into an iPhone charger and plugged it in the wall.

Awwww yeah

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

If he's screaming, that's when you stand by his door for the entire web conference 'just to be sure the webcam doesn't break again'.

Stand there and stare and make him feel the shame and guilt.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

make him feel the shame and guilt.

Rub his nose in it

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I think ridding oneself of all concept of shame is part of becoming upper management. Never mind guilt.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ask him every day for the next month if he's remembered to charge his web cam.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
"The webcam worked when the IT guy was standing here all call, so from here on out an IT staff member is to stand by the desk during all webcam-involved conference calls. No sitting, because we don't know if it'll break again since it worked while standing"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MJP posted:

"The webcam worked when the IT guy was standing here all call, so from here on out an IT staff member is to stand by the desk during all webcam-involved conference calls. No sitting, because we don't know if it'll break again since it worked while standing"

I'm okay with this as long as I can use my phone to do research at the same time.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

pixaal posted:

use my phone to do research

A ticket comes in:

"During web conference, a faint deep voice could be heard saying "Sodalicious" repeatedly. Please advise."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DigitalMocking posted:

We recently installed a comcast business MAN and I was blown the gently caress away by how good these guys were. They did a site survey, sketched our building in a CAD program, took 50 pictures and did a complete mockup on the pictures of where they were running the fiber.

The fact that it was Comcast just made it all the more surreal. Definitely the exception, not the rule however.

We're trying to get a simple MPLS link installed in Rochester NY, the circuit was originally ordered in July... delivery date was Dec/1 from the LEC. They emailed us at 4:30 yesterday saying basically "Yeah, didn't get this done, will try to finish it in the next 3 weeks, k?" :psyboom:

The important thing to remember with all large ISPs is that quality of service is highly locality dependent. Especially in cable-based ISPs, the actual company is a patchwork of thousands of origin cable systems, and a good deal of them still operate differently then others in the overarching company. If say Comcast bought out a really good cable system, you're likely to still get good service in that territory. If they bought a really lovely one, then your Comcast service in that area is likely to continue to suck.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fishmech posted:

The important thing to remember with all large ISPs is that quality of service is highly locality dependent. Especially in cable-based ISPs, the actual company is a patchwork of thousands of origin cable systems, and a good deal of them still operate differently then others in the overarching company. If say Comcast bought out a really good cable system, you're likely to still get good service in that territory. If they bought a really lovely one, then your Comcast service in that area is likely to continue to suck.

This is the case even with smaller ISPs. I loving love Cablevision, but I've had them on Long Island/Brooklyn. A friend has them in NJ and says it's garbage.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Inspector_666 posted:

This is the case even with smaller ISPs. I loving love Cablevision, but I've had them on Long Island/Brooklyn. A friend has them in NJ and says it's garbage.

Yeah I live on LI and have Cablevision also. Haven't really had an issue with them in the ~15 years I've had cable internet through them.

On the other hand, I know a few people who have Verizon FIOS internet with nothing but trouble. Funny too, because they just laid down the infrastructure for that 10 years ago, so it's pretty new.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I live on LI and have Cablevision also. Haven't really had an issue with them in the ~15 years I've had cable internet through them.

I've never had an issue that wasn't also accompanied by a natural disaster, and even more importantly for me, their techs are knowledgeable and empowered enough to actually resolve issues quickly and on the first try.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fishmech posted:

It's even dependent down on a RF node level too, so customers a block away from each other can have vastly different experiences depending on where or what the problem is.

Plus there's not much you can do about some things, like other people downloading something on their phones and placing it directly on top of their modem mid download. Granted your ISP should be smart enough not to use LTE frequencies for data for exactly that scenario but still, it serves as an example of how easy it is for a single customer to ruin everything.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit your avatar Renegret

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inspector_666 posted:

They're the 5th biggest cable company in the country, that's not exactly small!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fishmech posted:

Geographically small, that is.

And yeah, that's relative too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fishmech posted:

it is when comcast/twc have bought everyone else.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Almost all municipality admin staff is off to handle today's EU election. I've handled all my tickets, and my documentation is in order.

I'm bored enough to take pictures of my office, and now you get to suffer too!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

fishmech posted:

What are there, like 7 total?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I used to live in a town with a public Telco and they were universally loved by all. Great services and speed at a great price. I dont understand at all the amount of fear and loathing people have about public utilities. Then you read stories about Telcos lobbying to make municipal internet illegal, it's really disheartening. I hope at some point the barrier to entry gets low and more municipal services could start up.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in ...

Or no, wait, it didn't. It was facebook messenger, it was 8.30 PM and it was from a collegue' about his mothers laptop that gave some kind of warning. gently caress off, I'm not a work.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

lodewijk posted:

A ticket came in ...

Or no, wait, it didn't. It was facebook messenger, it was 8.30 PM and it was from a collegue' about his mothers laptop that gave some kind of warning. gently caress off, I'm not a work.

"I charge triple my hourly rate for consulting work"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RFC2324 posted:

it is when comcast/twc have bought everyone else.

They haven't. You put them together and it's only 30% of cable users.

Erwin posted:

What are there, like 7 total?

There are 20 with over a million potential cable internet customers (due to area covered, but some of them will be using DSL instead like fools), 9 with over 5 million, and 5 with over 10 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I used to live in a town with a public Telco and they were universally loved by all. Great services and speed at a great price. I dont understand at all the amount of fear and loathing people have about public utilities. Then you read stories about Telcos lobbying to make municipal internet illegal, it's really disheartening. I hope at some point the barrier to entry gets low and more municipal services could start up.

This has been one of those culture shock things for me with moving to the US... the overwhelming distaste for the government to own/run anything, and that almost cult-ish belief a private company will always run it better. I mean, I'm pretty all for open market, healthy competition when it gets right down to it for most things; but there's just so much infrastructure that really only makes sense being publicly owned.

The most :psyduck: thing for though has been despite all that, wrapping my head around state owned liquor stores. We won't let a public office with a vested interest in quality of service to keep state wide infrastructure in working order, obviously some multinational can do that better... but dammit, government knows what is best for you when it comes to alcohol.

((I'm in Utah, I'm aware this is not a nation wide thing))

• Locked thread