Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Man, I can't wait to sit down with this tonight and spin up a world or two.

:allears:

Hahah, it's absolutely perfect :buddy:

Overall what people have posted here of the new content has been wonderful and promising, in a very :iit: way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Please tell me someone is already streaming this.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Blackray Jack posted:

This. This is the literary peak. Nothing can top this. :unsmith:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Met posted:

Dual wielding weapons is useless, I believe. I don't know if there's a benefit to having multiple shields.

It's not. In the Dwarf Fortress Arena Tournament thread it was discovered that an extra weapon massively increase parry chances and the number of possible opportunity strikes. Extra shields also help.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Met posted:

Dual wielding weapons is useless, I believe. I don't know if there's a benefit to having multiple shields.

Dual weapons just lets you have more options as to what to spend your turn doing. Dual (and up) shields continues to up your block chance, unless that got changed this update. Find a way to take care of your speed and then by all means, cosplay a pangolin- you can hold an entirely unreasonable amount of shields in each hand.

edit:

my dad posted:

It's not. In the Dwarf Fortress Arena Tournament thread it was discovered that an extra weapon massively increase parry chances and the number of possible opportunity strikes. Extra shields also help.

Oh, neat.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
*eyes clock* let me go hoooome.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

my dad posted:

It is terrific.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Alehkhs posted:

:lol:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Meet Gaval, the snowy owl man.

Gaval is kind of a hosed up individual.

Gaval tries to woo the bone doctor with the fantasy equivalent of drunken air guitar.

The woman is understandably unimpressed, so Gaval pecks her to death.

Gaval then runs into the nearby house and starts a spooky murder story...

Except, Gaval was phone was the murderer all along! The townsfolk were also unimpressed (and quite angry).

Of course, being a never-ending font of :spergin:, Gaval soon found himself arguing philosophy with a roaming goblin soldier.

The goblin, as it turns out, had more bite than bark. :haw:

BONUS: This is what my next character, a string instrument bard, spawned with. It weighs 31 pounds.

Elth fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 2, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Is there a way to manually save other than exiting? I lost an embark to a crash

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Elth posted:

BONUS: This is what my next character, a string instrument bard, spawned with. It weighs 31 pounds.

An accordion mixed with bagpipes? :psydwarf:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

An accordion mixed with bagpipes? :psydwarf:

A bagpipe with 54 stone pipes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Elth posted:

:iit:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I really hope artifact instruments are possible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

quote:

small

quote:

hand-held

*is the mix between an accordion, a bagpipe and a church organ with the cathedral still attached*

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

scamtank posted:

*is the mix between an accordion, a bagpipe and a church organ with the cathedral still attached*

It was made for titans.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Blackray Jack posted:

So when you start an actual dwarf fort it begins going through a calendar...and then crashes. :argh:

Anyone actually making it through yet?

I had to generate a new world with small size and short history to get that to not happen.

Only other crash I had was from accidentally following a dwarf.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Elth posted:

I really hope artifact instruments are possible.

Mate it's an unholy accordian-bagpipe combo incorporating what is basically a stone organ, if that's not "Artifact" I don't know what is.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I actually successfully embarked for the first time without any crashes at any time. Still, I've gotten so spoiled by LNP's incredible convenience that I will probably wait for the new package. Maybe I'll try adventurer mode in the meantime.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Elth posted:

I take your 54 and raise you 200 more pipes.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm just reading the list of generated books. "Gears: Natural or Supernatural?" seems pertinent given how levers work in DF, and "Burning: My Only Mistake", a book about classifying combustible materials, implies a good story.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I'm not touching the game until about christmas, but this stuff is pants-wetting.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

The whole adventurer needs system seems weird. Some of them make sense, like "Socialize" or "Fight". But then you have stuff like "Take it easy" and "Be Extravagant", which seem to imply that you have to do something but aren't really clear on exactly what that is. And after that you have stuff like "Be with Friends" and "Make Romance", neither of which I'm pretty sure are even possible right now. This is definitely something which requires further testing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2015: You Enunciate Poorly

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Oh yeah. Toady also did a small "Future of the Fortress" entry today.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

VerdantSquire posted:

The whole adventurer needs system seems weird. Some of them make sense, like "Socialize" or "Fight". But then you have stuff like "Take it easy" and "Be Extravagant", which seem to imply that you have to do something but aren't really clear on exactly what that is. And after that you have stuff like "Be with Friends" and "Make Romance", neither of which I'm pretty sure are even possible right now. This is definitely something which requires further testing.

I think a lot of the needs only really show up in fortress mode. It is possible to have a retired adventurer in your fort, and with the ability to grant citizenship, I guess they could end up like a regular fort denizen now. I have not tested any of this out, only messed around with adventure and legends mode.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
It's now possibly to continue eating in adventure mode after you're full. You can continue to stuff yourself until you vomit. Also, adventure mode now shows little progress bars by your skills so you can see if you're leveling up.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

"Burning: My Only Mistake"
Dwarf version of "Ignition!"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

quote:

(not that it matters so much since the average 64 bit save will probably use too much memory to load in 32 bits anyway)
Toady in charge of putting your RAM to good use.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look you can't just have libraries without books, and you can't just have books without paper.

quote:

We have three branches for the release: papyrus, paper (from cloth plants) and parchment. Papyrus is easier to use if you can find it on the map (you make sheets directly at the farmer's workshop. Otherwise you'll have to set up a mill+press for paper (mill to slurry, press slurry to sheet), or go through the parchment process: calcium carbonate stones at kiln -> quicklime, quicklime at ashery -> milk of lime, hide + milk of lime at tanner -> parchment sheet. Currently in the game, a parchment sheet is called a "vellum sheet" when made from a cow (of any age). Otherwise, it is called "<animal> parchment sheet". These materials can currently only be use to make quires or scrolls (with rollers). Then you can bind the quires into codices with bindings.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Speaking of, has anyone managed to find a library yet? :(

My prospective Uristiana McJones wandered around for a while in search of one to learn about missing texts and relics to track down with no luck.

Ended up wandering into a tavern where the guest performers were standing off against an ambush of goblins (and a single consort that apparently picked the wrong side?). I helped put down the goblins, but was awoken in the middle of the night to see more gobbo eyes approaching in the darkness beyond the door. Of course, you can shout pretty much everything except an alarm/call-to-arms, so I screamed about how I had killed one of their green-blooded brethren the previous day (with a whip of course) before being struck down.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

some of these books are pretty great

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

How do you lose a book in 2 years? Get it together, Bannerdrill.

Meanwhile, the goblins are putting together essays of dad jokes.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Haifisch posted:

How do you lose a book in 2 years? Get it together, Bannerdrill.

So, when they say something is "lost," is it entirely destroyed, or is it possible to go track it down? Because I'm rolling another Jones-esque archeologist character currently, and it would be nice to know.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alehkhs posted:

So, when they say something is "lost," is it entirely destroyed, or is it possible to go track it down? Because I'm rolling another Jones-esque archeologist character currently, and it would be nice to know.

This could be a fantastic LP - someone starts by building a libary, then people have to go out into the world and collect all the tomes, artifacts and other collectables and bring them back and store them in said libary.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Grey Hunter posted:

This could be a fantastic LP - someone starts by building a libary, then people have to go out into the world and collect all the tomes, artifacts and other collectables and bring them back and store them in said libary.

Yup. Am currently doing such on a solo adventure.

Unfortunately, I don't know that there's any way to find out about lost things without just perusing through the Legends beforehand. Nearly all books already in the libraries I've found are part of the techtree, and don't give many details. I've managed to find an autobiography that mentions an artifact created by the author (and where he stored it), but that's about as far as you can get without just looking for lost items in the Legends screen. :(

If someone ends up doing just such an LP/Colaboration, let me know - It belongs in a museum library! :argh:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 2, 2015

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Ideally, you would first create a fortress and build a library in it, then retire the fortress and use adventurers to bring books in. And you can switch between the fortress and adventurers however the LP demands.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

I'm guessing this is a fake one

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jyrraeth posted:

some of these books are pretty great

This book is singularly amazing.

Adbot