Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Obscurity posted:

I just bought the Skyrim Legendary Edition since I've always wanted to play this game, but never took the plunge. Finally deciding to and I realize I am going to want to mod this. So I downloaded all of the mods/patches in the OP for new player recommendations. Now what I need help with is the visual modding. I do not know anything about modding this game other than what I skimmed in the OP. Is there a general suite of mods I can download for the best visual experience? I don't really care to nitpick each mod I just want this game to look beautiful and realistic. What can I do to make this easier on myself?

Since you're asking for quick and dirty, just get the 2K beth textures. There aren't exactly full high res texture packs out there. It's more of a piecemeal thing, with a lot of packages overlapping with one another. aMidianborn stuff tends to handle weapons and armor, but a few packs retexture creature. Bellyache's packs tend to address creatures, but I think he has some that retexture a few dungeons. So once you start getting into this realm, you have to try figuring out which textures from which mods you actually want, and effectively install them in reverse priority, so that last mod you install is the one you do not the others to interfere with.

Seriously, just use the 2K Beth textures can just play the game. They have their rough spots, but so do other texture packs. Vanilla snow textures for example can look really flat, but most of the replacers that make the snow look softer/fluffier look like garbage when you have "snow drift' objects overlapping with other other snowy objects. I'm getting the impression this is your first trip ever? Just don't gently caress with this, and simply use Beth's 2K textures.

Else, ENBs. They're a big performance hit, but if you have the high-end videocard they're one of the best ways to get the game looking ridiculously good. Which one to use (they're mostly just presets of shader variable data, but some include higher/lower quality shaders)? This is entirely preference. I'd recommend something 'vanilla like', but how that works to your eyes in practice is another story. Also, avoid any that require things like ELFX (enhanced lighting and FX). There's nothing inherently wrong with them, but you really should be playing the game than worrying about this stuff. As with textutes I'd just as soon recommend vanilla, no ENB, because it means you're actually playing the game than worrying about it looking "the great". If you have the hardware and would really like to make it stretch, then I guess go try the vanilla preset of Vividian. It's a fairly "vanilla like" ENB. Final note on ENB: disable the depth of field. Most will include/apply heavy bokeh, which might look great for a screenshot, simulating some sort of tight focal length photograph, but it is God awful for gameplay. FInal Final Note on ENB: They install different from regular mods, and like SKSE you install them to your root Skyrim directory (same location as skyrim.exe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There's a series of mods called "Bethesda Performance Textures" that IMO do a good job of improving detail without a performance hit. Just two big packs, and the author has other miscellaneous "good detail, same resolution" mods.

Clothing/Armor/Weapons: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/42360/
Animals and Creatures: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43921/

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also, get SkyUI and SPERG. It's just better.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Welp installed a bunch of random visual mods as well as the mods from the OP for newbies.....and game crashes on load.

Seems its the Unofficial patches causing it..

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 26, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Obscurity posted:

Welp installed a bunch of random visual mods as well as the mods from the OP for newbies.....and game crashes on load.

The Unofficial patches recently combined into one Legendary Edition patch. Check LOOT and see if you aren't missing Masters because the mods you used depended on the older editions of the Unofficial Patches.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Obscurity posted:

With on load, do you mean when you start the game? Before you even get to the main menu? If so, the most common cause of that is a missing master. Basically: the game is trying to find a plugin (one of those .esm or .esp files), fails and throws a CTD-inducing hissy fit..
If you're using the old, individual unofficial patches that are still linked in the OP, check if you actually have the DLC installed.
If you're using the new Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (which combines the 4 separate patches into one), then again check if you actually have the DLC installed, or if any of the other mods you're using has one of the old, individual patches as a master.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 26, 2015

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Yep, I didn't have the DLC esm's loaded. All fixed now! :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Obscurity posted:

I just bought the Skyrim Legendary Edition since I've always wanted to play this game, but never took the plunge. Finally deciding to and I realize I am going to want to mod this. So I downloaded all of the mods/patches in the OP for new player recommendations. Now what I need help with is the visual modding. I do not know anything about modding this game other than what I skimmed in the OP. Is there a general suite of mods I can download for the best visual experience? I don't really care to nitpick each mod I just want this game to look beautiful and realistic. What can I do to make this easier on myself?

lol if you think you can stop yourself from nitpicking, you are so hosed lol

I'm playing modded Skyrim again because I've got at least a year before Fallout 4 hits its stride modding-wise.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Kiggles posted:

Since you're asking for quick and dirty, just get the 2K beth textures.

By "Beth textures" I assume you mean the HD DLC? I thought those were well under 2K.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Airfoil posted:

By "Beth textures" I assume you mean the HD DLC? I thought those were well under 2K.

Yes, I mean the HD DLC. And, sure not every texture in the package is 2K, but anything that was 1024x1024 is generally 2048x2048. Everything else is generally doubled from vanilla, which is how a lot of the unofficial HD packs work.

It certainly has its problems, but for a simple quick easy way to improve the general visual quality if the while still having the same visual style for a person's first playthrough I don't think there are exactly any other options.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 30, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are there any mods/tweaks that make the third-person camera good?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Mazz posted:

Skyrim Archery Overhaul: changes the max attack distance to 14000 and fixes the camera, which is a common bow mod change, but also reduces the collision box of arrows by like 500% so you can actually make aimed shots at long distance and not hitbox into a tree right next to the NPC you're shooting at. Also makes all the bows have consistent draw times so the arrow lands in the right place in the crosshairs. Playing a sneaky bow character without this type of mod is actually kind of awful IMO.

Hey, couldn't find this one on either Steam or the Nexus, do you have a link to it?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are there any mods/tweaks that make the third-person camera good?

That probably depends on exactly what you think is bad about it!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Customizable Camera allows for a pretty full range of adjustment for third person camera position.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

There was a mod a while back that randomized the heights of everyone so everyone wasn't the exact same height. I can't seem to find it anymore, which is a real bummer because it always bugs me that everyone's the same height.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is it Gender And Race Height or Height Adjusted Races?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sociopastry posted:

There was a mod a while back that randomized the heights of everyone so everyone wasn't the exact same height. I can't seem to find it anymore, which is a real bummer because it always bugs me that everyone's the same height.

Everybody's Different?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51612/

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is it Gender And Race Height or Height Adjusted Races?

I think it was Gender and Race Height, but I think I'll give the one Kaker linked a try. Thanks, guys!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Scyantific posted:

Shezrie's Hearthfire Kitchens and Greenhouses: Adds a fully functional kitchen to the small back room behind the main hall in Hearthfire houses, and moves the Greenhouse to the North Wing option, so now you can have bedrooms and a greenhouse.

The link's dead, it seems. Is there anything else good for changing up the north wing of a homestead? The vanilla options are so... boring.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The link's dead, it seems. Is there anything else good for changing up the north wing of a homestead? The vanilla options are so... boring.

Here's a working link for that mod at least
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65973/
It's pretty nice since that back room is so useless.

Not the north wing but I like this one as well: Simple Hearthfire Attics

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 2, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Everything Burrito posted:

Here's a working link for that mod at least
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65973/
It's pretty nice since that back room is so useless.

Mod Organizer has words about it.

I have no idea how to correct this or if it even is a problem that needs correcting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's just a directory nesting thing you have to set. You'll run into that a lot.

Right click the "Data" folder under "ShezriesHFKitchenLakeview" and there should be an option called something like Set Data Directory. Do that and MO will say you're good to go.

basically MO expects the data folder to be at the top of every mod's directory tree when you install. If it's not, you can drag files around and/or manually tell it "nah this is the Data folder down here" or whatever, and then it works just fine.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Psion posted:

Right click the "Data" folder under "ShezriesHFKitchenLakeview" and there should be an option called something like Set Data Directory. Do that and MO will say you're good to go.

The text at the bottom changed to a green "looks good" so I suppose it looks good.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm planning to wrap up Fallout 4 this weekend and then let it simmer for a year or so. In the mean time I'm looking to take Skyrim out for another whirl. Two years ago I used Skyrim... Redone? I remember referring to it as Skyre.

A friend told me about Perkus Maximus last week and that sounds kinda neat too. Although from the bit of research I did it sounds like in PM you choose a class instead of picking perks and stuff to create your own class like in vanilla/Skyre.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Skyre and PM? I don't have any idea what kind of character I want to play. Im debating between stealth+magic, warrior+magic, or straight up magic.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Perkus Maximus is actually the "sequel" to SkyRe - it's by the same guy.

Personally, while impressive in its scope, it really wasn't my cup of tea. I'm a SPERG man, personally.

Hint: Use Mod Organizer and you won't have to choose. You can create profiles for each overhaul and try them out painlessly without loving up your Skyrim install.

Seriously, use mod organizer.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've always been intimidated by anything other than NMM. Being able to download and install mods with it makes life so much easier. I suppose I should just set aside 30 minutes and watch the mod organizer video in the OP. Potentially dumb question: using mod organizer for Skyrim won't cause any conflicts with NMM which I use for New Vegas will it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm planning to wrap up Fallout 4 this weekend and then let it simmer for a year or so. In the mean time I'm looking to take Skyrim out for another whirl. Two years ago I used Skyrim... Redone? I remember referring to it as Skyre.

A friend told me about Perkus Maximus last week and that sounds kinda neat too. Although from the bit of research I did it sounds like in PM you choose a class instead of picking perks and stuff to create your own class like in vanilla/Skyre.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Skyre and PM? I don't have any idea what kind of character I want to play. Im debating between stealth+magic, warrior+magic, or straight up magic.
there's also Ordinator by the dude who makes Apocalypse Magic and a few others. I'm eyeing it fr my next playthrough because I've been using SPERG for ages and fancy a change, but SPERG owns if you haven't used it before

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I've always been intimidated by anything other than NMM. Being able to download and install mods with it makes life so much easier. I suppose I should just set aside 30 minutes and watch the mod organizer video in the OP. Potentially dumb question: using mod organizer for Skyrim won't cause any conflicts with NMM which I use for New Vegas will it?

I definitely found Mod Organizer to be a little intimidating at first glance, but it's honestly pretty straightforward (and is by far the best modding experience I've ever had with a Bethesda game). You can actually send Nexus mod downloads directly to it the same way that NMM seems to work. I didn't watch the video for it (because I loving hate video documentation), but there's also a built-in tutorial that takes about ten minutes to run through that explains everything.

I don't see any reason why it would interfere with your New Vegas installation.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I didn't even know there was a MO tutorial video or whatever. It seems to have a lot of power user features but they did a reasonable job of making the obvious dumb idiot actions sufficient.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Trust me, MO is easy as hell, and it doesn't have the inherent shittiness of NMM. And you can have it handle the "Download with NMM" links on the nexus.

The main thing to remember is to run everything through MO. MO doesn't put anything into your data folder, it creates a virtual directory at runtime, so any other modding tools you use (like LOOT or tes5edit) need to be run through MO to see the virtual directory.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's also Ordinator by the dude who makes Apocalypse Magic and a few others. I'm eyeing it fr my next playthrough because I've been using SPERG for ages and fancy a change, but SPERG owns if you haven't used it before

There's now a patch to use both ordinator and sperg together

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
SPERG sounds interesting I might give it a shot. One thing I liked about Skyre was the new spells it put into the game. I remember finding a scroll that gave me a spell to give me increased jump height and reduced fall damage. That quickly transformed my play style. Does SPERG have anything like that?

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

SPERG sounds interesting I might give it a shot. One thing I liked about Skyre was the new spells it put into the game. I remember finding a scroll that gave me a spell to give me increased jump height and reduced fall damage. That quickly transformed my play style. Does SPERG have anything like that?

If you do use Mod Organizer this time, be aware that sperg may not install 100% correctly. I suppose the easiest way to check is just to look at the right side pane in mod organizer and make sure you have sperg-dg.esp and sperg-db.esp there. Assuming you have the dlc and selected those options when installing. It's a nested folder issue that's been explained a few times here.

I'm typically a sperg user myself, but am nearing the end of a playthrough using Marelo's Overhaul that has been pretty fun. Check out the readme for what it offers. I did remove the no fast travel feature for my playthrough because... gently caress that, and the "lives" system is pretty cool but takes some getting used to. Lots of nice features though. Pretty underrated imo.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

SPERG doesn't add any new spells, but there are tons of mods that do. All SPERG does is change perks, which helps make it compatible with nearly everything.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Technically SPERG adds a buttload of spells, but they're just slightly tweaked versions of vanilla spells and you won't usually notice a difference in the game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I have two Lesser Wards, the SPERG version and the vanilla one. Tolfdir must've taught me the vanilla one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Would you believe there's a bug associated to that particular spell?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Would you believe there's a bug associated to that particular spell?

It's a Bethesda game. I'd believe there was a bug associated with anything.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I managed to get DynDOLOD working last night :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I might do some work on Mazz's End this weekend, a little bit of cleanup but also play with some ideas for a kids room and other layout changes. Anyone have any requests/comments/etc?

• Locked thread