Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
That. Is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That novel is legitimately amazing and I have 3 copies on their way to people this year. Modelland is somehow "Willy Wonka as written by Tyra Banks" and its a glorious mess that I hope ANTM ending means we'll get sequels to.

Models literally gain superpowers, y'all.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

poparena posted:

Speaking of, we are now up to TWO months without Spoony releasing any content, scripted or otherwise, still makes three times that of a retail employee.

I wandered into his site for a bi-monthly visit and saw he hasn't even posted a summary video of his recent convention. I can't believe anyone invited him to a convention. Correction: that anyone would pay for him to come to a convention. February since his last film review. August 2014 since his last game review.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The AVGN Holiday Special this year is a daily look at bad video game artwork. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNS7T7QRcU

And Jim Sterling had a loving AWESOME Jimquiziton he planned to do this week, if it was not for those pesky SJWs ruining it! :argh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghPzcbOV8pI

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's a pretty good vid the both of them utilizing satire effectively.

The Jim Sterling video does a pretty good job in putting in as much effort this nontreversy was. A marketing ploy to boost sales for the gullible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

From the looks of it, that supremely heavy-handed satire still wasn't obvious enough. Those comments. Sheesh...

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

When did angry joe get fat?

I honestly did not notice anything until you brought it up. I can kinda see it, but not much.

Then again, I'm fat enough that I can't tell if anyone else is fat until they're at least as fat as me. :smith:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't know what you guys are talking about, clearly the good folks at playasia dot com are selling this EXCLUSIVE BOOBY GAME out of the goodness in their hearts and to fight the evil SJW apocalypse, and not to make some easy money manufacturing controversy or anything like that.
Just like Hatred was totally rated AO because it was just that edgy and hardcore and the man is trying to keep it down, and not because the developers specifically requested an AO rating as a marketing ploy. It was the game the ESRB didn't want you to see!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BigRed0427 posted:

And Jim Sterling had a loving AWESOME Jimquiziton he planned to do this week, if it was not for those pesky SJWs ruining it! :argh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghPzcbOV8pI

The video loses points for the number at the end not being FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!1!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MonsieurChoc posted:

The video loses points for the number at the end not being FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!1!

and skulls, not enough skulls.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

DStecks posted:

I've been watching Max Landis's stuff, and on so many levels he's Spoony if he got therapy (and also became a successful screenwriter).

:monocle: drat, that's why I like Landis so much.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
A review of "We Wish You A Turtle Christmas" was posted... four years ago by Phelous.

http://phelous.com/2011/12/01/obscurus-lupa/obscurus-lupa-presents/olp-we-wish-you-a-turtle-christmas/

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

surf rock posted:

:monocle: drat, that's why I like Landis so much.

Even their mannerisms and cadence of speech are bizarrely identical.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Infamous Sphere posted:

Alison - excellent review of LIFE SIZE, what the hell was that movie.

This was a good Movie Nights episode though because I actually seen this movie. Several times. Man, I watched weird stuff when I was a kid.

Although this got me thinking about what Phelous and Alison said about the end of the movie where the doll line is saved because of a haircut although there's also the fact that the Tyra doll no longer talks about how great she is. They make it so that the doll says encouraging lines to the girls instead if memory serves me correctly (if not, its been years, slay me)

That said, it was a dumb movie, but somehow very watchable.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

DStecks posted:

Even their mannerisms and cadence of speech are bizarrely identical.

But Spoony will never convince models to act out wrestling feuds with him. :smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm incredibly amused that Brad has started Snob'ing Midnight Screenings movies. I really hope he does Oogieloves eventually. :allears:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Annointed posted:

It's a pretty good vid the both of them utilizing satire effectively.

The Jim Sterling video does a pretty good job in putting in as much effort this nontreversy was. A marketing ploy to boost sales for the gullible.

not only that I don't think "SJW" care about games that where it prev on it sleeve. people only get upset when it in a game that is taken itself seriously and have a dev team that we expected better from.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Cyron posted:

not only that I don't think "SJW" care about games that where it prev on it sleeve. people only get upset when it in a game that is taken itself seriously and have a dev team that we expected better from.

I cannot parse this at all.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mischalaniouse posted:

I cannot parse this at all.

[activates Cyron-to-English translator]

Cyron posted:

Not only that, I don't think SJWs care about games that wear their perv on their sleeve. People only get upset when it's in a game that takes itself seriously, and has a dev team that we expected better from.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

BigRed0427 posted:

I did not know anything about the DoA 'controversy' before watching this so I had a few rather uncomfortable moments watching this video trying to figure out who the target was...

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

KayTee posted:

I did not know anything about the DoA 'controversy' before watching this so I had a few rather uncomfortable moments watching this video trying to figure out who the target was...

Guys like MundaneMatt and AlphaOmegaSin are insanely angry that the evil SJWs have taken away their video games.

Edit: https://youtu.be/HInXMcOgT54

I can't even be assed to look up the other videos since they all say literally the exact same thing.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 2, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jim was making fun of people whining that "politically correct" "SJWs" somehow managed to prevent Tecmo-Koei from releasing a jiggly tits simulator in North America. Because they have that power, you see, and totally not because Koei has their own idea about what to send over and what will sell to western markets. But SJWs, you see. CENSORSHIP.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

There's also the point to be made that most likely 90+% of the people angry about this have never even bought a Dead or Alive game, which is, you know, why it's not being brought over. Because nobody in the west actually plays the drat things.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Plus the PS4 and Vita are region free. If people want them they can just import them. Hell, you can get a PSTV for thirty bucks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tracula posted:

Guys like MundaneMatt and AlphaOmegaSin are insanely angry that the evil SJWs have taken away their video games.

What makes me real sad is that I stumbled onto AlphaOmegaSin through some of his apparently older videos a bit back and he seemed like a cool dude, right up until I got to like the other huge chunk of his videos and it just turned into crying about "SJWs" and GG bullshit.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

[activates Cyron-to-English translator]

Why did you remove the quote marks around "sjw"?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Cyron posted:

Why did you remove the quote marks around "two messenger of God"?
FTFY

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

lornekates posted:

A review of "We Wish You A Turtle Christmas" was posted... four years ago by Phelous.

http://phelous.com/2011/12/01/obscurus-lupa/obscurus-lupa-presents/olp-we-wish-you-a-turtle-christmas/

Thank you, I'd successfully forgotten that special existed.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Compendium posted:

Although this got me thinking about what Phelous and Alison said about the end of the movie where the doll line is saved because of a haircut although there's also the fact that the Tyra doll no longer talks about how great she is. They make it so that the doll says encouraging lines to the girls instead if memory serves me correctly (if not, its been years, slay me)

Okay but how? How did the doll pass on its knowledge to the doll makers??? Did they just find this new haircut doll with new catchphrases and steal it??

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DStecks posted:

Because nobody in the west actually plays the drat things.

This is probably it right here, no one buys those fetish games. At least, not on consoles. I'm sure if they put it on steam though....

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Leal posted:

This is probably it right here, no one buys those fetish games. At least, not on consoles. I'm sure if they put it on steam though....

It's a small niche. And DOA isn't as big as a series as it was 10 years ago.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, it was really funny seeing the controversy spring up because I'm kind of in some circles tangential to the SJW thing, and the first I'd heard of the game in any way was from some dorks on a game making board freaking out that SJWs had gotten a titty game banned.

I tend to assume that if there's a successful SJW banning of a thing, it'll be all over the place both in terms of "Hey gals, let's team up and get this wished into the cornfield!" and in terms of "poo poo YEAH WE WON TITTY GAME #5003 IS IN THE CORNFIELD HOORAY FOR US!"

(This putting aside the fact that most SJW stuff consists of whining on the internet about things and doing nothing substantial to change them, just like everything else on the internet.)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

Okay but how? How did the doll pass on its knowledge to the doll makers??? Did they just find this new haircut doll with new catchphrases and steal it??

The Dark Arts are a frightening supernatural force, I hope our lord and savior Mitch can look into this perplexing case.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Compendium posted:

The Dark Arts are a frightening supernatural force, I hope our lord and savior Mitch can look into this perplexing case.

Sounds like a great episode for Baywatch Nights had it survived it's second season.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm incredibly amused that Brad has started Snob'ing Midnight Screenings movies. I really hope he does Oogieloves eventually. :allears:

I'm digging it. It's like getting a glimpse into the creative process behind the Snob episodes. You get the initial, raw notes in the Midnight Screening-- and then get to see how it becomes refined amazing after scripting.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leal posted:

They did port DOA5 Last Round over to Steam back in March, so it's a possibility. Only problem is that Koei Tecmo is pretty bad when it comes to porting games to PC.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Rebochan posted:

Sounds like a great episode for Baywatch Nights had it survived it's second season.

They did have an episode with a witch and like Angie Harmon's character decides to randomly read from a magic book and suddenly has powers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DStecks posted:

There's also the point to be made that most likely 90+% of the people angry about this have never even bought a Dead or Alive game, which is, you know, why it's not being brought over. Because nobody in the west actually plays the drat things.

The DoA devs also got very petty about the whole DoA Dimensions debacle too. There was a new character added to DoA 5 who is a very clearly underage swedish girl, whose in-game bio says she's eighteen.

(For the peanut gallery, Sweden's the country that knocked back DoA Dimensions from getting a rating, due to sexualizing underage girls, until they filed off the numbers and rewrote all the sixteen-year-olds as eighteen.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

They did port DOA5 Last Round over to Steam back in March, so it's a possibility. Only problem is that Koei Tecmo is pretty bad when it comes to porting games to PC.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the creator (or someone high up) threatened to stop making DoA games if nude mods were made (iirc, they successfully sued someone who hosted nude mods) they would stop making the games. Well guess what happened shortly after DoA was on steam? Maybe that is why DOA: Volleyball 3 wont come stateside

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The DoA devs also got very petty about the whole DoA Dimensions debacle too. There was a new character added to DoA 5 who is a very clearly underage swedish girl, whose in-game bio says she's eighteen.

Fun Skeevy fact: In the manual for DoA: Volleyball 1 Kasumi's and Hitomi's age were put down as "???" since they are underaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008
DoA creator Tomonobu Itagaki left Tecmo Koei in 2008, and sued the company for unpaid wages/bonuses. So it's unlikely Tecmo Koei really gives much of a poo poo what Itagaki thinks about anything anymore.

For his part, Itagaki has more-or-less called everything done with Dead or Alive after his departure trash. As soon as someone told him about the DoAX3 thing, he criticized it as a cowardly marketing stunt. Note that Itagaki isn't making up a lot of his DoAX3 criticisms, the game really is dropping a lot of characters/features from DoAX5 and DoAX2.

The weirdest thing (to me) about the entire debate is that Tecmo Koei has already prepared an English localization for the title, which will ship in the Asian version. The title isn't region locked and will play on any PS4 or Vita worldwide. So anyone who is really desperate to play DoAX3 in English can easily just import it from any dealer who sells the Asian version. Unless Tecmo Koei changed things about the localization or content for an NA release, that SKU would be entirely pointless in the first place.

• Locked thread