Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

markus_cz posted:

Ideally, you would first create a fortress and build a library in it, then retire the fortress and use adventurers to bring books in. And you can switch between the fortress and adventurers however the LP demands.

Dammit, I even have a title.

"Dwarf Fortress Libarians - Knowlage run Armok"

I think I may have to do this once the version gets a bit more stable. I guess it might be an idea to run a few fortresses in fort mode to get more places to hunt for artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"This is a seriously lovely place to live."

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
All of these are great but I'm still giggling at 'The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control: Don't.'

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Inadequately posted:

All of these are great but I'm still giggling at 'The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control: Don't.'

This is appropriate once more.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Really liking the small changes to stuff in Fortress mode, like being able to set priority levels to mining designations, the "Do this now!" button in workshops to force your dwarves to rush important stuff ahead of whatever else you have, having workshop orders tell you what's lacking if you can't make an item.. Someone told me that someone told them that getting your dwarves to use archery stuff is easier but I haven't tested that yet. Also I've got a bunch of travelling adventures in my tavern, "The Spongy Maggot" sharing stories and talking to my dwarves, it's pretty rad. Planning to build the a giant library soon!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The first half of those things were added in the just previous version. But yeah they're pretty nice.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Is there a way to manually save other than exiting? I lost an embark to a crash

You can't manually save without DFHack, but there is an init option for making a save on embark in addition to the seasonal autosaves. I still haven't gotten through a single season without crashing though, which is extra sad because literally the first site I picked has a brook, soil, no aquifer, surface and deep metals, flux stone and surface layer lignite and gypsum veins. Was it possible to look up a worlds random seed somehow so I can attempt this location again in a future version?

vvv e: Yes, but it's not doing me much good when it crashes persistently, and I didn't think you could just copy region folders between different game versions.

Mygna fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 2, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

shouldn't you still have the created world?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Load up the world in legends and export the map and gen info. You'll get the random seeds in the worldgen info file, which you can use to recreate that world.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My current fort's civ has a lot of interesting artifacts. There's the solid stone guitar which must be played with a bone plectrum, the colossal fuckoff pipe organ that has over four hundred pipes, and the block of wood. It's just... it's just a block. You take the block and you hit it, and it makes a noise, and the noise is art.

This civ has the dwarfiest music ever.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

My current fort's civ has a lot of interesting artifacts. There's the solid stone guitar which must be played with a bone plectrum, the colossal fuckoff pipe organ that has over four hundred pipes, and the block of wood. It's just... it's just a block. You take the block and you hit it, and it makes a noise, and the noise is art.

How many tiles does that pipe organ take up? One?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

nielsm posted:

I don't know. IIRC it requires stone, metal, glass, and ceramic to make. I just started this fort so I don't have a furnace industry quite yet, and I don't even know how to make ceramic. I'm definitely going to try to build one of those fuckers in the middle of a giant ominous temple though.

e:

Another world had some sort of dwarven trombone/tuba hybrid that could be carved out of a single piece of wood :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 2, 2015

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

nielsm posted:

Likely as many as a 3000 ton forgotten beast or bronze giant.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Posted without comment.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Grey Hunter posted:

Dammit, I even have a title.

"Dwarf Fortress Libarians - Knowlage run Armok"

I think I may have to do this once the version gets a bit more stable. I guess it might be an idea to run a few fortresses in fort mode to get more places to hunt for artifacts.

No need to seed - there's already tons of artifacts/books/etc in any given world. You need only build a single fortress library to bring them to.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No sense of self-worth?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Angry Diplomat posted:

https://vimeo.com/55624839

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Pictured here, a thrilling performance by a visiting human bard with a bone triangle and three nerds with imaginary instruments in the 'Fierce Mushrooms' tavern. The audience includes the diplomat from the Mountainhomes (still lazing around after three seasons) and a visiting human warrior. Also note one of my miners standing in the corner, telling a story to nobody in particular.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Enough of your loving books and songs, you nerds, tell me about demon cities and goblin armies.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So how do I get my dwarves to start writing? I get how to make scrolls and books (I think), but the actual writing? Does it happen on its own? Does it need someone to be told a story and decide to put it to print?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Meanwhile, in the old version, I'm here noticing a lot of "X cancels Y: Interrupted by manager" spam. Like, I get the amusing workplace commentary the game is trying to make, here, but I don't really see why the game would be causing this, until I get a death notice and check the announcements.

Whoooooops.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

canepazzo posted:

So how do I get my dwarves to start writing? I get how to make scrolls and books (I think), but the actual writing? Does it happen on its own? Does it need someone to be told a story and decide to put it to print?

Have you assigned a scholar and a librarian in the (L)ocations tab?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Seeing all these books makes me want a cheese making system.

Iden Copperpools is a legendary wheel of sow milk cheese created in Bannerplanes and aged from Felsite 149 to Diorite 154. It is amber in color with a hard, crumbly texture. It has a sharp, nutty flavor with a fruity aftertaste. It is best paired with apricot wine and mandrill spleen. It menaces with veins of green mold.

In early winter of 154 Iden Copperpools was stolen by the rat man Snodub Barrowhalves.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hihohe posted:

Have you assigned a scholar and a librarian in the (L)ocations tab?

That was it, thanks! I thought i needed ink and pen, but it seems they just need paper. More stuff:

What's the difference between a Quire, a Scroll, a Sheet?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Sheets are the base object. They turn into quires, which go into books, or combine with rollers to turn into scrolls.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I made a brown recluse woman adventurer and she sang a marching song for a local lord. The dude's three guards all jumped forward and started horribly beatboxing to accompany her singing. The lord stood around in silence, watching his idiot guards buzz and splutter horrendously while the spider lady studiously ignored them and tried to keep singing. Afterwards all the guards agreed they enjoyed the song, and that it was terrifying (:confused:).

The brown recluse woman went outside, climbed nimbly onto the roof, and yelled at her god to ask him how he was feeling. She then felt greatly gratified to have communed with her deity, so she went inside and took a nap. When she woke up, she realized she had somehow spun webs everywhere in her sleep and people were getting tangled up in them, so she yelled loudly about friendship while all the web-bound guards cheerily agreed with her.

Update owns.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

The dude's three guards all jumped forward and started horribly beatboxing to accompany her singing

I'm imagining a 90s kids' movie where the musical segments have hip hop, breakdancing and record scratches thrown in to keep it fresh. You just invented a Disney Channel movie about a spider lady

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I rolled a horned owl man bagpiper, argued with a child to feel better about myself, and then flew around telling stories how the local ruler failed to be cheesemaker.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Keep circulating the bugs!

:frog: posted:

With the release come the bugs, and with the bugs come the fixes! I've corrected what is hopefully the cause of all the world generation freezes (an uninitialized poetry refrain index...), and I fixed a problem causing worlds not to reproduce correctly with the same seed. I also fixed the older bug causing constructions to crash when placed over tree tiles. There are still more crashes to check, so I'm going to continue to work on 42.02 for a few more days, and then I'll put it up. Then I'll continue on with bug fixes.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Tunicate posted:

Glad everyone's honest about whether they're a vampire.

"Hey man, are you a vampire? You have to say yes if you are, otherwise it's entrapment."

Kennel posted:

e. Haha, the author Dumat Helmedrelics is Bim's husband.

So this guy is like dwarf Bill O'Reilly? Killing Lincoln 2: Eating Lincoln.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I spawned a brown recluse man in an elven settlement. I sang a few songs and was then promptly shot dead by the town guards.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My spouse and I started a fort and immediately had our wheelbarrow stolen by a kea. They're, like, pigeon-sized parrots. How the gently caress

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I forgot - now the "living world" has been implemented in part, has anyone tested what happens "two weeks later" in the world if you open a hole to Hell?

After your fort falls, I mean. :unsmigghh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Demons fall upon a tavern, become caught up in a rousing chorus of 'Glands!'

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

The books are an amazing addition.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DeadGame posted:

The books are an amazing addition.

Yeah.

I just wish there were history books that were basically just Legends mode entries. Would let me better roll archaeologist adventurers that dig through dusty tomes to rediscover lost artifacts/settlements. :eng99:

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer:

Upcoming Development Lists posted:

Adventurer Role: Treasure Hunter
  • Adventure sites
    • Non-town sites need to created and used for various purposes in world generation (prisons, tombs, temples, mines, castles, etc.)
    • These places should often fall into disuse (or not be active entity pop locations, as with a tomb)
    • Old abandoned structures can be partially buried in available soil layers
    • Sites should contain any appropriate items to their (possibly former) purpose
    • World gen should utilize defunct sites and get them new inhabitants
      • Underground monsters
      • Villains/bandits/etc. hideouts
      • Outdoor creatures
      • Megabeasts
      • Night creatures (see below)
      • Regular entity sprawl/migrants near surface
    • Existing town-style sites should be updated as possible (dwarf fortresses, etc.)
  • Movement
    • Improved swimming (holding breath, currents, etc.)
    • Ability to climb in adv mode
    • Ability to jump in adv mode
  • Lighting
    • Proper environmental lighting
    • Construction and use of torches
    • Candles/lamps/lanterns
  • Traps
    • Whatever comes out of mechanics (below) should occur in the sites you explore to the extent that the traps can be detected and surpassed
  • Writing
    • Phrase storage and grammar updates
    • Have books around that can contain maps/locations/names/traps/purpose/artifacts of older sites
      • Sometimes you might just have a name and know an artifact is there, and then be able to cross-reference that in the next source you find until you feel you are prepared
    • Some sites might contain additional tomes/tablets/inscriptions that lead to more information

:sigh:

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
a commendable demonstration of dishonestly

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Legendary Persuader retired adventurer with intense need to argue joins your fortress. A week later everybody thinks friendship is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So when dwarves are assigned as tavernkeeper, scribe etc., does it create a new labor for them? What happens to their normal labors, (which afaik don't get removed), what takes precedence? What about noble jobs / military assignments?