Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it's important to note that Shauna also remembers Blossom as the person who handed her over into the clutches of a mind-taking onion alien.

Like, this isn't the first time Blossom has done something terrible to Shauna out of spite.

'Spite' is really a poor way to describe that situation.

Worth re-reading that part considering Blossom's POV. Shauna can really come off as a manipulative jerk, and what she's doing in that chapter is especially reflective of the current chapter.

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20110805

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fangz posted:

Worth re-reading that part considering Blossom's POV. Shauna can really come off as a manipulative jerk, and what she's doing in that chapter is especially reflective of the current chapter.

Uh... rereading that story just reminded me of how much of a manipulative jerk Blossom herself is.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
They're teenage girls trying to figure out romance, prison sentences, family, and growing up. Most of what they do will be lovely but it's part of the process. I hope they can become friends again. =/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Uh... rereading that story just reminded me of how much of a manipulative jerk Blossom herself is.

You don't see anything wrong in Shauna not acknowledging at all the fact that they were being bullied ('too weak to stand up for yourself when you are teased!'), never bothering to sway them with an argument and instead bribing Blossom's friend with the promise of a relationship that it seems obvious is not genuine?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fangz posted:

You don't see anything wrong in Shauna not acknowledging at all the fact that they were being bullied ('too weak to stand up for yourself when you are teased!'), never bothering to sway them with an argument and instead bribing Blossom's friend with the promise of a relationship that it seems obvious is not genuine?
http://scarygoround.com/?date=20111108
http://scarygoround.com/?date=20111109

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The fact that Blossom acted like a jerk does not mean Shauna didn't act like a jerk also.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 1, 2015

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

Shauna looks so young in that chapter! I swear these characters age 1 day per published page, so you never notice any change until you look back a few years.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Fangz posted:

The fact that Blossom acted like a jerk does not mean Shauna didn't act like a jerk also.
so what youre saying is,

you think Shauna going to them for help and handwaving away a legit point,

is manipulation on the same level as all the bullshit Blossom pulled that chapter

Fangz posted:

instead bribing Blossom's friend
:lol: maybe you should reread it because that was all Corky

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RIP ole Knotty.

Like, I made that comment above/last page because we have seen enough of Blossom to know she isn't right in the head. Even loving Darren is actually shaping up (slowly but surely), but Blossom? I just said Shauna tried really hard and in the end it didn't matter at all.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 2, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jackard posted:

so what youre saying is,

you think Shauna going to them for help and handwaving away a legit point,

is manipulation on the same level as all the bullshit Blossom pulled that chapter

:lol: maybe you should reread it because that was all Corky

I'm saying I wanna talk about Shauna's behaviour in that chapter and why it might mean that Blossom, in her limited self-centred view of things, would interpret her behaviour in this chapter as Shauna having a pattern of using people as tools for her own purposes, and never really caring about anyone except herself.

I'm also saying I kinda have no interest in comparing the relative karmic levels of Blossom and Shauna.

I'm additionally saying that I don't see Blossom's behaviour in that chapter as spite, but as function of someone who has been bullied for a long time being told to help restore the lovely status quo by a total stranger who doesn't give a drat about her. The stuff with Corky was possessiveness.

This is not me trying to excuse Blossom's actions there, or necessarily here. (I think Shauna should have told Darren the truth looong ago...) But no, I don't think this point is the end of Shauna and Blossom's relationship and I think it's entirely wrong to claim it was a total waste of time.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 2, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Man, I've got the weirdest sense of relief/disappointment in being wrong about Shauna's chav brother. :confused:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blossom also had friends back in that chapter. Friends who are absent in this chapter, possibly for Shauna-related reasons. Blossom's been simmering on her own for years, and now that she's come to a full boil, it's going to take a lot to stop her. I've been there. I never turned to violence or killed a man with pure surliness, but it's a bit much to expect all that anger to go away after just a few overtures of friendship.

Not to mention the fact that right after Blossom started to turn towards trusting Shauna, she caught Shauna discouraging a boy from her. You know, the thing that Shauna did the first time to give Blossom the grudge. Sure, Shauna has her reasons, but nothing that Blossom could see. When you're bitter and lonely, you latch onto things.

I hope things take a turn and the loanshark is revealed to be an Ettin who Blossom has to punch to death.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah despite all this I can't really see Blossom as anything other than a target for pity rather than ire. Allison perfectly encapsulated a no-hope teenager when he created the character, Blossom has basically been poo poo on all her life. That doesn't make her actions admirable, but does make them comprehensible.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
this theme has recurred in Bad Machinery a few times before: people who are jerks might have been dealt a terrible hand by life (which we are to solemnly regret in some cosmic way), but they're still jerks and their inevitable fate is to fall from grace when some act of jerkiness unwittingly rebounds on them

see, e.g., Benny Marks the bully (ratted out by a girl even higher on the schoolground hierarchy), Onion Lem (roasted by a spaceship when he tries to stay where he doesn't belong), Sasha the murderous selkie (however much it sucks to be married off as a kid and to lose your heritage forever - lured into a trap and sent to prison for attempted murder), Camille of the six nipples (scheme leveraging her recovered popularity succeeds at great effort, but is immediately made socially irrelevant again through an unexpected interference that wasn't even aimed at her)

e:

Captain Bravo posted:

Are you ready for my Lock of the Week prediction?

Claire runs over to Colm, because he's hurt. He confesses his true feelings, which she reciprocates. Linton gets pissed because he won, earning him scorn from everyone for treating claire like a prize to be earned.

He runs away, runs into Blossom, they connect and end up dating. Two weeks later, Linton and Blossom beat the poo poo out of the entire school. :black101:

:golfclap:

here's half a cookie. let's hope you don't get the other half

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 2, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Sonny, Sonny, Sonny. You could do better than that. Or at the very least make him shave off that dirtstache.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

ronya posted:

this theme has recurred in Bad Machinery a few times before: people who are jerks might have been dealt a terrible hand by life (which we are to solemnly regret in some cosmic way), but they're still jerks and their inevitable fate is to fall from grace when some act of jerkiness unwittingly rebounds on them

see, e.g., Benny Marks the bully (ratted out by a girl even higher on the schoolground hierarchy), Onion Lem (roasted by a spaceship when he tries to stay where he doesn't belong), Sasha the murderous selkie (however much it sucks to be married off as a kid and to lose your heritage forever - lured into a trap and sent to prison for attempted murder), Camille of the six nipples (scheme leveraging her recovered popularity succeeds at great effort, but is immediately made socially irrelevant again through an unexpected interference that wasn't even aimed at her)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I gotta go with Blossom here; I've seen this coming for a while now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol

ronya posted:

this is drawing way too specific a trend from the fact that most people, including the primary characters, in john allison strips are kinda jerks and terrible fates are handed out to everybody on a regular basis. The Boy is a horse now; one of the two original main protagonists of Scary Go Round got burned alive by satanists, as did Ryan's perfectly nice french girlfriend. in two separate unrelated incidents, even.

Camille setting up bloodsoaked moped empire on her summer vacation and then eventually going home and reconciling with her childhood friend doesn't really rate imo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 2, 2015

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Yes, Nude Bog Lurker from August, he is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Yes, Nude Bog Lurker from August, he is.

I'd saw he might actually be bisexual, though, since he seemed genuinely interested in Ellen the selkie from The Case of the Fire Inside.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ronya posted:

:golfclap:

here's half a cookie. let's hope you don't get the other half

Man, if I'd just stop tossing in to my predictions that characters are going to beat the tar out of each other, I'd be batting 1000. :downsgun:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd saw he might actually be bisexual, though, since he seemed genuinely interested in Ellen the selkie from The Case of the Fire Inside.

He was like 12, and there might have been selkie magic involved.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dabir posted:

What does him being 12 matter?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dabir posted:

I figured the selkie magic only worked one way, because Lee clearly lost interest in Sasha (but not the other way around).

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
My only surprise regarding this is assuming Lottie would come out (as mysterysexual) before Sonny. :allears:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

What does him being 12 matter?

I'd argue it's relevant in that he might've still been learning things about himself. There was a lot of "Why are Jack and Linton so much more interested in girls than I am?" In that story if I remember right.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'd argue it's relevant in that he might've still been learning things about himself. There was a lot of "Why are Jack and Linton so much more interested in girls than I am?" In that story if I remember right.

Well he had er...rude dreams about Ellen. And very clearly liked her once he got to know her-he just felt a relationship built on Selkie-skin theft was not one he had much truck with.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, Linton's face is perfect.

Sonny's a pretty chill dude. Probably likes both ladies and boys, but wouldn't make an embarrassment of himself about it like his contemporaries.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, Linton's face is perfect.

Sonny's a pretty chill dude. Probably likes both ladies and boys, but wouldn't make an embarrassment of himself about it like his contemporaries.
Yeah, he definitely seems a great deal more mature over relationships than everyone else. Possibly because he received words of wisdom from a Russian oligarch.

SexyBlindfold posted:

My only surprise regarding this is assuming Lottie would come out (as mysterysexual) before Sonny. :allears:

She already did.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 2, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Please do not ride the zebra.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sonny has been the nicest of the lot pretty much from day one.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well he had er...rude dreams about Ellen. And very clearly liked her once he got to know her-he just felt a relationship built on Selkie-skin theft was not one he had much truck with.
The Case of the Fire Inside is far and away my favorite arc. I can't decide me favorite part, but one of them is Colm consoling Sonny about his dreams.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

And then everyone started asking "How can I disassemble my life as quickly as possible?".

Odds of Linton saying something he is going to regret for a very long time on Friday: high.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
isn't Friday still dedicated to the tales of chronological disassembly

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ronya posted:

isn't Friday still dedicated to the tales of chronological disassembly

I guess Linton is safe for a while, then.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This discussion got me rereading The Case of the Fire Inside, and I noticed relevant to this chapter: Blossom in the background looking lonely and angry about it, her friends from the previous chapter nowhere in sight. This was the chapter immediately after the one with onion-boy and Blossom's introduction, so we see Allison thinking through the aftermath of that incident in her life right away.

EDIT: and yep also relevant to this chapter is Colm being a stand-up guy. He really is a victim of his father's terrible advice.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 3, 2015

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Wow, Darren's a oval office.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's the classy nice-guy reaction to finding out someone deliberately destroyed your life because they thought teenage you was obnoxious

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what's the classy nice-guy reaction to finding out someone deliberately destroyed your life because they thought teenage you was obnoxious

"someone" being a literal child who was terrified of you
"obnoxious" being criminal behaviour and a total disregard for your own family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I also re-read Fire Inside yesterday and I'm appalled I had forgotten completely that the old lady commits suicide at the end. That's a goddamn allegory on how we treat old folks: forgotten or mostly an after-thought. Just made me realize I haven't talked with my grandfather in several months.

• Locked thread