Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2JQpVPUms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rexroom posted:

Well it's certainly not in the first hours like in Fallout 4. According to reports you'll have to sink a lot of time before the game throws you a doll to use.

And yes, I prefer the term Dolls more than Skells. Fight me.

I agree with you. "Skells" sounds like some bullshit someone made up to make their invention sound awesome, "Dolls" sounds kinda anime-y, but also is a pretty fitting word for giant robots.

So both plausible, I guess, but I prefer Dolls.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFWf4ARzuE

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Anybody knows what time games come out on the digital wii u store? Midnight?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tenzarin posted:

Its like a prettier xenogears. I cant remember if you could leave the gears in xenosaga and explore on foot.

No one answered but yeah you could leave your gears and walk around, though if you chose to do that 9 times outta 10 you'd get jumped right away by gear sized enemies that would just poo poo all over you.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Jsor posted:

I agree with you. "Skells" sounds like some bullshit someone made up to make their invention sound awesome, "Dolls" sounds kinda anime-y, but also is a pretty fitting word for giant robots.

So both plausible, I guess, but I prefer Dolls.

yeah but apparently elma's old unit was called the doll squadron in japanese, where in english they get to be called the skelleton crew.

that alone makes the change worth it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Inflammatory posted:

yeah but apparently elma's old unit was called the doll squadron in japanese, where in english they get to be called the skelleton crew.

Okay, that's a pretty A+ change, I might be sold.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Skells 4 lyfe

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Baal posted:

Skells 4 lyfe

:yeah:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dolls was a stupid name. I'm not saying I'm completely sold on Skells, though I might be now with the Skeleton Crew, but it baffles me that people are upset that they changed the name at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rexroom posted:

Well it's certainly not in the first hours like in Fallout 4. According to reports you'll have to sink a lot of time before the game throws you a doll to use.

And yes, I prefer the term Dolls more than Skells. Fight me.

It's true. I was playing my favorite game earlier Final Fantasy 6. I love the adventures of Tina and Mash and Lock, they're all great characters, especially the way they fight Cefca. After that I played a bit of Pocket Monsters. I started with Fushigidane and by the time he evolved into Fushigibana I was completely prepared to kick Shigeru in his Pokeballs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ImpAtom posted:

It's true. I was playing my favorite game earlier Final Fantasy 6. I love the adventures of Tina and Mash and Lock, they're all great characters, especially the way they fight Cefca. After that I played a bit of Pocket Monsters. I started with Fushigidane and by the time he evolved into Fushigibana I was completely prepared to kick Shigeru in his Pokeballs.

Satoshi no, that's rude. Ookido-hakase would not approve. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My favorite FF Protagonist is Butz with the Waiban.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Dolls was a stupid name. I'm not saying I'm completely sold on Skells, though I might be now with the Skeleton Crew, but it baffles me that people are upset that they changed the name at all.

People are autistic and think that any localization that does more than just robotically translating text is somewhere between censorship and ruining the artistic vision.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They're not dolls, they're action figures.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

They're not dolls, they're action figures.

This really should be the thread title.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I would have named them Kex. Fly your Kexs around Mira, upgrade your Kex with new equipment, color your Kex until it looks the way you want it to!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm still going to call them World Enemies though. Not because of artistic integrity or stupid poo poo like that but because it sounds badass.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Inflammatory posted:

I see, so it was more about the male sex being afraid of a strong female who imposes her feminine values on others. Interesting.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rexroom posted:

I see, so it was more about the male sex being afraid of a strong female who imposes her feminine values on others. Interesting.

No? It was more about dolls being a stupid name. Dolls are dumb and boring. They cry "mama" and piss themselves, and that's about it. If they did actual cool things, it'd be a different story, but they don't. So they are dumb. This is fact.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't care about localization as a general thing, I understand things have to be changed and the like. It's really just this one thing, to me. I don't care about them changing what BLADE means or whatever, I just think Dolls is a cooler name for mechs than Skells. This is possibly due to a history of playing tons of mech games and watchings tons of mech anime though, the term Doll as a name for a giant robot comes up surprisingly often. The most famous example is probably the Mobile Dolls in Gundam Wing.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

No? It was more about dolls being a stupid name. Dolls are dumb and boring. They cry "mama" and piss themselves, and that's about it. If they did actual cool things, it'd be a different story, but they don't. So they are dumb. This is fact.

Dolls own hth

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow that GameXplain review was long. Looking forward to this more after watching that and some stuff is clear now. Except the multiplayer, what exactly is it? Is it just side objectives you pursue as a group or do you actually go into fights alongside others?

Also

Rexroom posted:

Silver Falcon posted:

What the hell are we talking about?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Xenoblade X on the Wii U developed by Monolith-Soft, Published by Nintendo, and with music composed by famous Gundam Unicorn & Attack on Titan composers, Hiroyuki Sawano

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Wow that GameXplain review was long. Looking forward to this more after watching that and some stuff is clear now. Except the multiplayer, what exactly is it? Is it just side objectives you pursue as a group or do you actually go into fights alongside others?
Yes.

TLDR its like a pyramid scheme and if your multiplayer match up sells enough Cutco knives, you get to fight an asynchronous raid boss.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dolls was good because it was a joke and skells is not

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

zedprime posted:

Yes.

TLDR its like a pyramid scheme and if your multiplayer match up sells enough Cutco knives, you get to fight an asynchronous raid boss.

Thanks, I was worried this MMO wouldn't have any actual multiplayer.

There's so much poo poo in this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where's the goon NNID thing so we can be friends and you can all be friends with my robot that
I will inevitably color neon

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Get a list of NNIDs up on the OP. Or the Launch thread.

Gonna have to color the mech hot red for a Sexy Scarlet Skell

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Someone posted a spreadsheet link on the previous page

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So is there a goon nnid thing?

gently caress it, made a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15XBTrRJQnZ4qZzCET_Rgn3mD2cdpOkCuJ75lFkCyKfE/edit?usp=sharing

You all should be able to edit it.

Putting this in the OP would probably be a good idea.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Quick question, I'm considering actually buying a Wii U just so I can play this game (and Hyrule Warriors), will the digital version fit in the 32 GB default hard drive or is an external an absolute necessity? I know the download size is supposedly 23 GB, which WOULD fit, but sizes for console HDs can be tricky sometimes. Just wanna make sure here.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The digital version will fit, yeah. You're gonna be really tight on space though so you might as well buy a hard drive unless XBX is the only game ever you're planning to buy digitally on the Wii U.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Get a list of NNIDs up on the OP. Or the Launch thread.

Gonna have to color the mech hot red for a Sexy Scarlet Skell

This is the launch thread.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Got my NNID stuff on the spreadsheet. Looking forward to surviving with other goons on Mira.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This is the launch thread.
I may have not been paying attention to when the thread changed. I'll have to check my NNID for the list later.

Looking at some of the weapon sets the shields look so goofy to use and they're probably what i'm gonna go for.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Infinity Gaia posted:

Quick question, I'm considering actually buying a Wii U just so I can play this game (and Hyrule Warriors), will the digital version fit in the 32 GB default hard drive or is an external an absolute necessity? I know the download size is supposedly 23 GB, which WOULD fit, but sizes for console HDs can be tricky sometimes. Just wanna make sure here.

If you're planning on getting the Hyrule Warriors dlc then I'm not sure you'll be able to fit all of it and XCX at the same time.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The 11th can't come soon enough!

...:smith:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am going to call everything in the game what it is called in the game I am playing because that is what everything is called.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Levantine posted:

I am going to call everything in the game what it is called in the game I am playing because that is what everything is called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
If you made a giant robot and then decided "Im going to call these 'dolls'" then you are bad and dumb.

• Locked thread