Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
WAIT, STOP! ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THIS GAME? IF THE ANSWER IS YES
READ THE loving MANUAL
THE GAME ACTUALLY EXPECTS YOU TO DO THIS

Welcome to the new thread for Xenoblade Chronicles X!

The old thread served as a vehicle for keeping us hyped for a game for a long time away and now that it is almost here it was a good idea to not have a huge thread full of a lot of bad in the way.

BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME

Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: 12/04/15 (This Friday!)
Price Tag: 74.99/124.99 Canadian
59.99/89.99 U.S
39.99/59.99 U.K

Developer: Monolith Soft
Director: Tetsuya Takahashi
Character Designer: Kunihiko Tanaka
Writers: Tetsuya Takahashi
Yuichiro Takeda
Kazuho Hyodo
Mamoru Ohta

Composer: Hiroyuki Sawano
Genre: Japanese Role Playing Game

Platform: ONLY FOR WII-U

Info about buying the disc copy of the game! :siren: Nintendo discovered game installs! Unlike other systems, they're on the game's eShop page (found under DLC) instead of on the disk, which means you can load them before you pick up the game itself. Four packs of textures and other miscellaneous data, ~10GB in all, and about 15GB(?) required for the download and installation. If that's too much for your WiiU internal memory and you don't want to shell out for an external hard drive, just download the basic/field data pack, the one labeled High Impact. This isn't necessary for those taking the digital route, as they're built into the whopping ~23GB download.

WHAT KIND OF GAME IS XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X?

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a spiritual successor to Xenoblade Chronicles. It's not really the same game, a greater focus was placed on exploration and combat, and the story was placed on the back burner. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a Japanese Role Playing Game that plays like a single player MMORPG, although it does have some online functionality to it. In addition to having a party of characters you can fight with, you also have the ability to climb into mechanized robots called Skells which you can also use to traverse the planet and fight monsters. You have to be careful though, because they are not cheap to replace when destroyed. In a change from XC, in XCX, you have customization of the main character and choose to make him/her as you see fit.

THE PLOT?

I'm just gonna let Wikipedia gonna explain this one -

The game begins in the year 2054, as two alien races engage in battle near Earth, causing significant collateral damage to the planet. With governments sensing Earth's obliteration, humanity is forced to evacuate in enormous interstellar ark ships, though very few of them manage to escape before the planet is destroyed. The story follows the passengers of the American evacuee ship, the White Whale, as they are found two years later by one of the alien races and are attacked, causing them to crash land upon the planet Mira. From there, they attempt to establish their new home of "New Los Angeles" alongside the planet's native Nopon race while still being hunted by the aliens.

THE COMBAT CLASSES

XCX this time around uses a class system for the main character. You will start off as a jack-of-all-trades drifter but after that you have the ability to class up into one of three different classes

Striker - Branch of Drifter class. "Choose this route if you want to go in guns blazing." Mixes offensive and defensive Arts. Provides HP and melee attack bonuses. "Well balanced and suited for beginners."
Long-ranged - Assault Rifle
Melee - Longsword

Rank 10 with this class unlocks the following classes: Samurai Gunner and Shield Trooper.

Commando - "Choose this route if you want to rack up damage." Focuses on skillful application of damage buffs. Provides bonuses to melee accuracy, ranged accuracy, and evasion.
Long-ranged - Dual Guns
Melee - Dual Swords

Rank 10 with this class unlocks the following classes: Winged Viper and Partisan Eagle.

Enforcer - "Choose this route if you want to provide support from afar." Offers Ranged Arts. Provides bonuses to ranged power and potential. "Tricky to master and suited for professionals."
Long-ranged - Raygun
Melee - Knife

Rank 10 with this class unlocks the following classes: Psycorruptor and Blast Fencer.

(There are further classes, but I am going to try sticking to a little bit of the basics and probably update OP once people come up with a more detailed guide)

UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU: JOIN A DIVISION TODAY!

(I stole this from the Hardcoregamer website! Credit where credit is due)

Divisions are groups you can join which will give bonuses to the class you picked and give them further ways to enhance combat. Here is a breakdown of each companies specialty.

Pathfinders’ main objective is to place data probes around Mira so as to map the terrain and expand BLADE’s information system dubbed FrontierNav — a computer network designed to collect intel on the planet’s flora and fauna on a macro and micro level. A player can enhance their Division Points while playing as a Pathfinder by planting data probes and discovering new locations. Pathfinders experience great HP recovery over time. They are a bit paladin-y by design, making them great for someone who is looking to deal damage, self-heal, and even do a bit of group healing.

Interceptors are tasked with creature subjugation, act as bodyguards for survey teams, and rescue New Los Angeles citizens in need. Division Points are boosted through defeating enemies and completing missions. They are ranged combat experts and experience a boost in damage dealt by ranged weapons whenever they are used. They are a bit like a standard ranger/archer in that they are glass cannons; from afar, they can wreak havoc on foes, but if an enemy closes the gap they are easily taken out.

Their goal is to defeat the most fearsome creatures Mira has to offer. Division Points are boosted through defeating enemies as well as Xenoblade Chronicles X’s largest monsters, Tyrants. They experience a boost in damage dealt by melee weapons and are considered the most melee-oriented division in the game; so those looking for up-close-and-personal combat should apply to the Harriers. Think of them as the typical melee DPS class.

Reclaimers search for and recover parts from the White Whale that have been scattered across Mira in the crash landing made after being shot out of the sky. They also focus on recovering lost items from the battlefield, such as weapons that may be left behind from fallen comrades or Skell scraps that have been torn off in the heat of combat. They are more likely to receive items from enemy drops, making them the token rogues of the bunch. Division Points are boosted through retrieving White Whale wreckage and planting data probes.

They pioneer, scout and survey Mira’s unexplored territories, and collect materials from across the landscape. To obtain Division Points as a Curator, players are tasked with finding and acquiring collectibles as well as defeating Tyrants, like the Reclaimers. They specialize in increased critical hit rates, allowing them to put up big numbers when combined with the right weapon, skills, and attributes.

Prospectors use the aforementioned FrontierNav system to mine for minerals and resources, with the aim of maintaining peoples’ livelihoods through their exploration and acquisition of resources. Division Points are enhanced by players mining Miranium and discovering locations. Their combat role is to take less damage from enemy attacks, thus specializing in what the game refers to as “defense support.” They make great tanks thanks to their damage absorption.

They support the development of the Arms Manufacturers in New LA, and are developers themselves of weapons and equipment for Skells and ground troops. By leveling up the Arms Manufacturers around NLA, and earning R&D points, they enhance their Division Points. They receive boosts in commercial points (R&D Support), which go toward Skell and weapon development, making them vital in group content and guilds, as they can produce fantastic combat items for team members.

Mediators’ core objective is to resolve problems between citizens of New Los Angeles, acting as community problem-solvers of sorts. They’re a bit like cops, really. They obtainDivision Points via completing missions and training new prospective BLADE members. They can increase their Tension Points by using Arts, as well as by using the standard auto-attack option, and are best thought of as a more traditional mage class.

CHARACTERS: A HERO IS YOU

Main Character:

YOU! YES THAT IS RIGHT! You will be creating your main character and almost everything about them in order to create your own anime dream protagonist!

Other Main Character

Elma

Elma rescues you from your escape pod and will be the first face you see.

There are other a lot of other characters, but I'm mainly gonna keep this part sparse as I've never felt that I need to read up on characters before the game. There is a XCX wiki if you want to dive right in though (Possibly spoilers in there of course)

:siren: HELP I DON'T KNOW WHO/WHAT/WHERE IS :siren:

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK BECAUSE IT'S GONNA HAVE SPOILERS

Xenoblade Chronicles X Google Doc

MISC Q&A ABOUT THE GAME

Why Are Goons excited for this?

The Wii U pretty much as no good JRPGs. Same with the Wii. So when Xenoblade Chronicles came out and it actually turned out to be pretty good, all Wii fans got a little bit excited. Maybe too excited. That doesn't change the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles turned out to be a good game that was Tetsuya Takahashi's first game that wasn't brought down in some way due to time/money constraints. Takahashi finally found a good publisher in Nintendo and they seem to keep giving him money to make games so something is working.

How Anime will this be?

VERY

but...

INCREDIBLY ANIME

Why do all the characters look like weird doll anime people this time

Takahashi has worked with the main character artist during previous games such as Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode 1 and more than likely threw him a bone because they are friends and he likes his work. The problem is while his designs work well in 2D games like Xenogears and Sands of Destruction. They look like utter poo poo in 3D. Just get used to it.

Can I customize my character to make them wear a bunch of crazy poo poo?

Yes

How is the Soundtrack?

It is going to be very hit and miss for people. Because it is headed up by Hiroyuki Sawano who is surging in popularity these days, he is doing a TON of work and unfortunately (in my opinion) it is creating a bit of a repetitive thematic sounds across his works. There is also opinions that the music just doesn't match the tone of the game or that he adds in unnecessary vocals.

Judge for yourself. I'm of the opinion Xenoblade Chronicles will have a better soundtrack, but they could have done much worse than Sawano and his stuff is pretty catchy and bombast. There's a reason why he is popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfqF0o7XWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_Fsg7kdJw

How big is the game (land-wise/poo poo to do?)

It's bigger than Witcher 3 and Fallout 4....combined. Apparently. So yeah. Have fun exploring!

How long till I get my big anime robot?

There's no hard hour answer, but it is going to be quite a ways into the game. So don't count on jumping into any giant robots right at the beginning of the game.

How does the online work?

:siren: READ THIS :siren: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...rmation_thread/

THE "CONTROVERSIAL" poo poo

So there's been two main things brought up about this game in regard to censorship and it's gonna come up anyway so I'm gonna try address it here so it doesn't have to be brought up much in the thread proper.

1) There is a young character in the game called Lin who is 13-14 around there and had the ability to wear some pretty skimpy swimsuits. This has been altered for the North American/European release of the game and she wears something I honestly think looks cool. I don't think this is an issue anymore and I think Nintendo has nicely shut the nail on the coffin of what was a lovely debate going on.

2) There is no boob slider if you create a female main character. One bust fits all. This one was kind of a weird decision to take out because even western games and MMO's have done this no problem, but Nintendo was probably acting on the safe side. There has been, and probably will be no official reason why they did this.

:siren: SPOILER POLICY :siren:

Please don't do it. Please mark and tag if you absolutely must talk about spoilers, but in general if you don't really need to bring it up, it's probably best just to not do it.

BEGIN THE COUNTDOWN

HEY GOONS WHO WANT TO PLAY ONLINE WITH OTHER GOONS!

Want to join up with other goons to do objectives? Put your NNID on this handy list!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15XBTrRJQnZ4qZzCET_Rgn3mD2cdpOkCuJ75lFkCyKfE/edit#gid=0&vpid=A1

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I assume there's going to be one Division all Goons should join for multiplayer?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The first 6 hours of this game is a grueling monotony and only after that does it open up. Stick to the quests because if you go off on your own you won't last 30 seconds before something kills you.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You get some pizza from this game too. Actual pizza.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's also a huge big long mclarge huge tutorial where they explain to you the concept of elite monsters(they're the named monsters that have the stats of bosses) but it takes 15 minutes for them to explain it to you.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

here is to adam howden for continuing work on the xenoblade series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wish i could give my character big tits

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i love xenogears and was lukewarm on xenosaga. loved xenoblade. looking forward to this.

got the special edition on preorder, what am i getting in it?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Mill Village posted:

I assume there's going to be one Division all Goons should join for multiplayer?

as far as i know the divisions just add minor stat bonuses and give you bonus exp for doing relevant stuff, they don't factor into multiplayer all that much.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

Big box, Large Artbook, Game, USB stick with songs, art lithograph.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mill Village posted:

No!

What division you join for multiplayer actually doesn't matter, and it's all down to what bonuses you really want. So just join what you really want. In finding out the answer to this question I found a good post on Reddit (sorry) which is pretty informative of the online features of the game. Read about them here - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/3u77rz/xenoblade_x_multiplayer_information_thread/

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hubris.height posted:

i love xenogears and was lukewarm on xenosaga. loved xenoblade. looking forward to this.

i'm catching up on perfect works too.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

hubris.height posted:

why would you preorder a special edition without knowing what was in it

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Inflammatory posted:

Goons are bad with money. I bought it knowing the cost was well not worth it, but I have almost every Monolith Soft game including Namco X Capcom so I jump on any Special Edition thus proving my point.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mill Village posted:

Nah, that's not how the Squad (assuming that's what you mean) system works, to my knowledge. It's mostly asynchronous stuff, and you want to be as close as possible to the 32-person max at all times, so by default you choose a random group of people to join up with every time you start the game. You can, however, look up the Squad that someone on your Friends List is currently in, as well as send friend requests to those in your current Squad. So it'll still be worthwhile to trade codes ITT if you feel like it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Change the youtubes in the OP because you linked the dirty brit videos where the videos are blocked in america for copyright reasons.

Theme X https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_Fsg7kdJw

Black Tar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfqF0o7XWw

This is one of my favorite tracks:

Uncontrolable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgudF-hVlDA

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 30, 2015

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Remember when the game was just a few battle clips and a mysterious red X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Big box, Large Artbook, Game, USB stick with songs, art lithograph.

Is the flash drive large enough that you can export the songs then use it for the crazy amount of storage this game needs?

I'm still considering picking it up, though it looks very different from the original Xenoblade.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Change the youtubes in the OP because you linked the dirty brit videos where the videos are blocked in america for copyright reasons.

:canada:

(but yes I'll get on that)

edit: Done, let me know if story trailer works or not. Used the same one but provided by IGN this time.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 30, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is the flash drive large enough that you can export the songs then use it for the crazy amount of storage this game needs?

I'm still considering picking it up, though it looks very different from the original Xenoblade.

I wouldn't advise it because you'll burn out the USB stick that way

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also the music composer Hiroyuki Sawano did the music for Kill la Kill. If you liked that thing, that should make you happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Sawano

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also the music composer Hiroyuki Sawano did the music for Kill la Kill. If you liked that thing, that should make you happy.

everybody knew this 3 years ago

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

He's also doing music for the Seraph of the End show currently airing, Attack on Titan, and Aldnoah Zero. If you watch anime at all you've probably heard his work.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

me too

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
the tit editor is still in the game's code but you need to use something like an action replay(which doesn't exist for the wii-u) or whatever to make the slider selectable.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What is a good division to start out with as you're learning the ropes and I guess gaining any resources you can to help out when the game lets you get out from the tutorial?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually on second thought I want to give my character small tits :twisted:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Amazon.ca hosed up a bunch of E3 preorder deals or some such and now I'm getting XCX for 19$ with an additional 30% off :canada:.

I was thinking of using the money to get this Collector's Guide or whatever. Does anyone have any idea if this is worth it or not?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

RuBisCO posted:

Amazon.ca hosed up a bunch of E3 preorder deals or some such and now I'm getting XCX for 19$ with an additional 30% off :canada:.

I was thinking of using the money to get this Collector's Guide or whatever. Does anyone have any idea if this is worth it or not?

I have no idea but I pre-ordered it from Ebgames so I'll let you know.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Crabtree posted:

What is a good division to start out with as you're learning the ropes and I guess gaining any resources you can to help out when the game lets you get out from the tutorial?

Reclaimers for increased loot drops.

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually on second thought I want to give my character small tits :twisted:

Women have tits of all sizes and should be loved equally.

The Taint Reaper posted:

the tit editor is still in the game's code but you need to use something like an action replay(which doesn't exist for the wii-u) or whatever to make the slider selectable.

So basically, wait for the wii-u emulator to be a bit more developed

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crabtree posted:

You will have 6 hours in the tutorial. If you don't learn the ropes by then, then there is no hope for you.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i shed a tear for busty space marines everywhere

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

You will have 6 hours in the tutorial. If you don't learn the ropes by then, then there is no hope for you.

You don't know jack poo poo how much time I will waste in the tutorial, son. I'm an OG slow player

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You might want to mention the downloadable data packs, why you might need them, how big they are, etc.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How does the gameplay stand up? This game looks good but idk about $60 good.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Inflammatory posted:

i knew what was in it

the contents of the box seem worth 30 bucks to me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You might want to mention the downloadable data packs, why you might need them, how big they are, etc.

c/p this if you feel like it:

:siren: Nintendo discovered game installs! :siren: Unlike other systems, they're on the game's eShop page (found under DLC) instead of on the disk, which means you can load them before you pick up the game itself. Four packs of textures and other miscellaneous data, ~10GB in all, and about 15GB(?) required for the download and installation. If that's too much for your WiiU internal memory and you don't want to shell out for an external hard drive, just download the basic/field data pack, the one labeled High Impact. This isn't necessary for those taking the digital route, as they're built into the whopping ~23GB download.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 30, 2015

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Very excited for this game, picked up Xenoblade Chronicles for the 3ds in anticipation for X. The dub is really quite charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
I remember reading that it took 40 hours for someone to finally get a mech. Is that normal, or did he just dick around with other stuff for way too long?

• Locked thread