Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

'Master bladesmith' is something that an Etsy store would brag about having.

Depending on where the maker is located, that is an actual thing. The American Bladesmith Society grants the title to smiths who pass their master bladesmith test. I'd bring it up in every conversation I could if I could pass the ABS master bladesmith test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I am a master blademaker.

On the internet.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Glockamole posted:

Depending on where the maker is located, that is an actual thing. The American Bladesmith Society grants the title to smiths who pass their master bladesmith test. I'd bring it up in every conversation I could if I could pass the ABS master bladesmith test.

I just looked this up and that poo poo is interesting as hell. Seems like a lot of time and effort needs to be invested to become a Master Bladesmith.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I just looked this up and that poo poo is interesting as hell. Seems like a lot of time and effort needs to be invested to become a Master Bladesmith.

Have you seen this? This dude's a master bladesmith. I'd say he deserves the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0f2b_0kn0

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Have you seen this? This dude's a master bladesmith. I'd say he deserves the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0f2b_0kn0

That was awesome. Also, thanks for introducing me to another Bourdain (web)series I'd never heard of.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How difficult is it to thin a chinese chef knife? I have my eye on one that's cheap but a little thick.

Do I just thin the first inch of the knife or do I thin the whole thing?

How much would a knife shop charge to do it?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I recenly came across a tarnished, disused Sabatier chef's knife, and I'm hoping for some opinions on if this is worth restoring and how. The knife was made in the mid-70s saw quite heavy use—if the wear on the blade is any indication—but has sat untouched in a drawer for a quarter century at least. Whatever trademark might once have been printed on the blade is gone; 'SABATIER' is imprinted inside an oval in the handle enamel. Its form factor looks pretty close to K Sabatier knives but wikipedia says there's a lot of low-quality knives with the mark. On a sacrificial test onion it cuts pretty well as-is.

The knife:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I recenly came across a tarnished, disused Sabatier chef's knife, and I'm hoping for some opinions on if this is worth restoring and how. The knife was made in the mid-70s saw quite heavy use—if the wear on the blade is any indication—but has sat untouched in a drawer for a quarter century at least. Whatever trademark might once have been printed on the blade is gone; 'SABATIER' is imprinted inside an oval in the handle enamel. Its form factor looks pretty close to K Sabatier knives but wikipedia says there's a lot of low-quality knives with the mark. On a sacrificial test onion it cuts pretty well as-is.

The knife:

Clean it up with some Barkeepers Friend, sharpen it and it should be good to go.

Nice looking knife BTW, definitely has the shape of a Sab at least, does it have a fairly extreme distal taper?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

How difficult is it to thin a chinese chef knife? I have my eye on one that's cheap but a little thick.

Do I just thin the first inch of the knife or do I thin the whole thing?

How much would a knife shop charge to do it?

Are you talking about thinning the steel behind the edge on a Chinese cleaver or some other type of Chinese kitchen knife? If you're talking about thinning it out behind the edge, you just do it on a stone at a very low angle where the edge is off the stone. If you're wanting to radically alter the blade geometry/stock thickness, you'll want a belt sander. A shop would want probably $20-40 to do that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you thin just behind the edge, and the rest of the knife is still fairly thick, it will wedge like a motherfucker.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So how much work is it to thin a Chinese chef knife from 3mm to 2.2mm

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

So how much work is it to thin a Chinese chef knife from 3mm to 2.2mm

Depends on the steel and the thinning method used but it could be a lot of work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it dremelable

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

Is it dremelable

No. Just buy a better knife in the first place.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Is it dremelable
You'd have a hell of a time getting a flat surface.

Also, any time you start talking about using a rotary tool like that you'd better be in good shape with whatever angels and ministers of grace you happen to follow because that poo poo is just asking a sharp thing to be unexpectedly chucked at your face.

If it was me, I'd just use contact adhesive to stick a sheet of coarse sandpaper to a workbench and do it by hand. It'll be tedious, but taking half a mm off both sides won't be more work than, say, lapping the heel of a bench plane. Unless you're looking at a slab of some kind of super steel. Which if it's that thick I'm going to guess it's not.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Steve Yun posted:

Is it dremelable
troll, or idiot?

Watch that bourdain video posted a few posts back and look for the bit at the end where he grinds it to shape by hand.

That. Those are the tools you need.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Barkeeper's Friend worked wonders on getting rid of the tarnish, thanks. There's still quite a bit of pitting and some discoloration but it doesn't look like it'd give a potato tetanus any more.

The blade tapers evenly from an eighth of an inch at the bolster to a paper-thin tip—it's much more pronounced than any of the no-brand/IKEA knives I have at hand for comparison.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Barkeeper's Friend worked wonders on getting rid of the tarnish, thanks. There's still quite a bit of pitting and some discoloration but it doesn't look like it'd give a potato tetanus any more.

The blade tapers evenly from an eighth of an inch at the bolster to a paper-thin tip—it's much more pronounced than any of the no-brand/IKEA knives I have at hand for comparison.

Well, it has the shape and taper of a genuine Sab then, it might even be one but as long as the steel and shape are right it might as well be. My main knife, a Japanese one, has a pronounced distal taper and it makes the tip really good for more delicate work, so congrats on having a really nice knife. :)

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Awesome! I've never had a high quality knife before and I'm literally just hitting the point in my cooking interest where I'm feeling the impact of knife quality and technique. I'm so excited to sharpen it and try it out now :kimchi:

I've read the stuff on sharpening from the OP and first few pages, but given that this knife has been out of service a long time and I'm a total knife novice (knovice?) would it be better to take it to a pro?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Awesome! I've never had a high quality knife before and I'm literally just hitting the point in my cooking interest where I'm feeling the impact of knife quality and technique. I'm so excited to sharpen it and try it out now :kimchi:

I've read the stuff on sharpening from the OP and first few pages, but given that this knife has been out of service a long time and I'm a total knife novice (knovice?) would it be better to take it to a pro?

Hmmm, it's not that hard to put a new edge on a knife but some people have a lot of trouble getting the hang of it, I'd practice on another knife that you don't care about very much first. Do you have stones? Or one of the Edge Pro knockoffs?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Right now all I have is an old, pretty cheap honing rod.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

coyo7e posted:

troll, or idiot?

Watch that bourdain video posted a few posts back and look for the bit at the end where he grinds it to shape by hand.

That. Those are the tools you need.
Nah. That guy's doing that poo poo all day every day, and if that's what you're planning on doing (as well as, you know, forging poo poo from scratch) you need a lot of gear that you really, seriously, don't need to gently caress with if all you're trying to do is to thin a blade by a mm. That, no poo poo, is something you can accomplish with a couple of bucks of sandpaper and some patience.

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014
After reading some of this thread I feel like poo poo for using some random giant chef's knife my grandma gifted me for my first apartment for EVERYTHING.
I poo poo you not but I've even peeled carrots with that thing.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DoBoMi posted:

After reading some of this thread I feel like poo poo for using some random giant chef's knife my grandma gifted me for my first apartment for EVERYTHING.
I poo poo you not but I've even peeled carrots with that thing.

You're fine. The diminishing returns on kitchen knives is a brutal curve past $50 or so. Sure you might get some nice features on a $100 knife, but a $400 knife won't be "$300 better" than the cheaper one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SubG posted:

Nah. That guy's doing that poo poo all day every day, and if that's what you're planning on doing (as well as, you know, forging poo poo from scratch) you need a lot of gear that you really, seriously, don't need to gently caress with if all you're trying to do is to thin a blade by a mm. That, no poo poo, is something you can accomplish with a couple of bucks of sandpaper and some patience.
I get that you can rub it down by hand but that'd be a lot of :jerkbag: , I was referring to the mounted belt sander and blocks-and-leather he used at the end, those are both easy to find and use. ;)

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Is that CCK cleaver still a steal at 70$ or is there a better option now that the price has gone up so much?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Broletariat posted:

Is that CCK cleaver still a steal at 70$ or is there a better option now that the price has gone up so much?

This seems to be a pretty popular alternative:
http://www.amazon.com/Wok-Shop-Vegetable-Cleaver/dp/B00018U1J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449516451&sr=8-1&keywords=wok+shop+vegetable+cleaver

A few goons have bought it and said it was pretty good

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wok-Shop-Vegetable-Cleaver/dp/B00018U1J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449516451&sr=8-1&keywords=wok+shop+vegetable+cleaver

I have one of these and quite like it for the price. Not super sharp out of the box but got it pretty sharp with a few minutes on one of my stones.

The ones from amazon have a lot of complaints about them coming pitted and rusted or dented. May have something to do with the way they are stored there.

I got mine directly from http://www.wokshop.com/ and it was in perfect shape.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those types are easy enough to find in a random Asian grocery too.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
So I tried out the $18 APEX EDGEPRO knockoff on one of my kitchen knives. Seemed to work pretty well. For the most part it stuck to the table and was sturdy enough, however the pivot/hinge for the rod w/ the stone was a bit sticky and wouldn't glide like I imagine the authentic one would. I bought 2 of the nicer stones to use next, but even the cheap stones got the knife sharp enough to cut tomatoes a reasonable thin-ness. The cloth for wiping off the stones sucked - can I just use damp paper towel to wipe off the grit that comes off the knife and stays on the stone?

Bonus: The instructions were in ENGLISH and actually weren't terrible! I still looked up a instructional video, but probably could have gotten by w/ just what was written.

$18 knockoff link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OAZEIA

Edit: Apparently they jacked the price up to $20, but there is a $17 option in the other sellers tab (probably straight from china 1 month shipping time!

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 7, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

extravadanza posted:

So I tried out the $18 APEX EDGEPRO knockoff on one of my kitchen knives. Seemed to work pretty well. For the most part it stuck to the table and was sturdy enough, however the pivot/hinge for the rod w/ the stone was a bit sticky and wouldn't glide like I imagine the authentic one would. I bought 2 of the nicer stones to use next, but even the cheap stones got the knife sharp enough to cut tomatoes a reasonable thin-ness. The cloth for wiping off the stones sucked - can I just use damp paper towel to wipe off the grit that comes off the knife and stays on the stone?

Bonus: The instructions were in ENGLISH and actually weren't terrible! I still looked up a instructional video, but probably could have gotten by w/ just what was written.

$18 knockoff link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OAZEIA

Edit: Apparently they jacked the price up to $20, but there is a $17 option in the other sellers tab (probably straight from china 1 month shipping time!

Huh, with the AGPtek one I have the rod for the stone glides just fine. For removing the swarf between stones just use some running water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
AGPTek glides with no problem. I also rinse the stones.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
It may be due to inexperience or poor tolerancing of the parts, but I can't seem to slide the stone along the blade edge while also adjusting the stone so that it evenly grinds nearly as easily as the videos I've watched. I'll probably give it another go in a couple weeks. Also, something I didn't mention before. The notched angles aren't quite right. I checked it with a smartphone protractor and it was close, but off by 3 degrees or so... Of course that is an easy adjustment.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I get that you can rub it down by hand but that'd be a lot of :jerkbag: , I was referring to the mounted belt sander and blocks-and-leather he used at the end, those are both easy to find and use. ;)
If you don't already have a belt sander, rotary tools, and all that poo poo you're going to spend way the gently caress more time learning how to use it safely and practicing how to use it precisely than the hour or so total you'd spend with a couple US$1 sheets of sandpaper.

I mean yeah we're in a knife thread in the cooking subforum so we're like two levels of gear obsession down. And far be it from me to try to talk anyone out of throwing way too much time, effort, and money into gear. But one-off thinning a blade is really, really not a gear problem.

Steve Yun posted:

They're not poo poo or anything, but they're nowhere near as nice a knife as the CCK:

...and at that it's about 255 g/9 oz to the CCK's 312 g/11 oz. I mean if you only want to spend like ten bucks it's not unusable or anything, but it's not the crazy value for money that the CCK was back when you could get them for like thirty.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
even at $70, CCKs are amazing knives. Just buy one. I got my CCK tall cleaver way back when for $40, I still think it can out-perform my $200 Goko most of the time.

e: as for dude who asked about thinning cleaver: If your cleaver is thick, it for bones, if it is thin, it is for veg. They are not the same, stop thinking they are.

AGPtek talk: if it is sticking, spray some Vegalene or whatever on it. Also, if you use your grocery's cooking spray (lol!), stop loving buying that poo poo and get a case of vegalene at your local restaurant supply, it'll last you YEARS/DECADES.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 8, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Part of the reason why I want to thin this knife is to get more hands-on knowledge of knife work. It's educational!

Right now it's impressively sharp and nimble enough to peel an apple despite its ridiculous hugeness, but gets wedged pretty hard in an onion. I figure I'm gonna thin different parts in stages to see how it affects performance.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 8, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

e: as for dude who asked about thinning cleaver: If your cleaver is thick, it for bones, if it is thin, it is for veg. They are not the same, stop thinking they are.
A 3 mm thick cleaver isn't for bones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's 3mm at the spine, and tapers to the edge.

My meat cleaver is also 3mm, but it stays 3mm all the way until half an inch before the edge.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
I ended up getting a Tojiro DP with some stones. Can't wait to try them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
question: i have a wusthof paring knife i need to put a whole new edge on, should i go for ~+20 degrees or is it ok to go for a more aggressive angle?

• Locked thread