Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
I admit that I may have given too much credence to a widely held assumption about reserve governance, and agree that aboriginal communities should receive more funding than they do already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Scaramouche posted:

Ikantski you're on spot duty

So apparently Justin Trudeau is stereotyping natives with the ol' noble savage trope, lovely. Could this fuckin' guy be any more sheltered?

http://aptn.ca/news/2015/11/30/trudeau-says-indigenous-people-can-teach-how-to-care-for-the-planet/ posted:

While outlining the principles on which Canada will base its climate action plan, Trudeau included a reference to the importance of working with Indigenous people.

He said Indigenous people are taking a leadership role on climate change and that Indigenous knowledge could be helpful in dealing with the issue.

“Indigenous peoples have known for thousands of years how to care for our planet,” said Trudeau. “The rest of us have a lot to learn and no time to waste.”

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If you call "reshaping nature to fit our needs" "caring for the planet" then sure I guess.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Ikantski posted:

So apparently Justin Trudeau is stereotyping natives with the ol' noble savage trope, lovely. Could this fuckin' guy be any more sheltered?

Canada's indigenous peoples have been unfairly demonized as being 'good environmental stewards' for too long. Keep fighting the good fight, Iki.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Huron Wyandot culture was on the cusp of building a really European trading town near Toronto but it was wiped out by disease borne through those exact trading ties.

There was a documentary called curse of the axe, but I don't know if it's still available.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Wait, which Pearce? I think I have him next semester.

Steven

he can be a douche if the mood takes him and likes to be confrontational, you've been warned.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Trudeau is going to stay in power for a decade just like Harper and at the end we will be in the same lovely spot we were at the end of Harper's reign but no one will care because he has nice hair and a tattoo and sometimes occasionally mentions poor people (though never promises them anything).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God I wish Vancouver would get a loving clue about the value of transit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brannock posted:

If you call "reshaping nature to fit our needs" "caring for the planet" then sure I guess.

Isn't doing it well the whole point, though? And there were some amazing work of ecological engineering in the americas.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Whatever this dude ensured that the piece of poo poo elevated highway through Toronto is maintained at great cost instead of tearing part of it down just so suburban drivers can save a minute.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ikantski posted:

I saw this Pocahontas poo poo in the paper today and my eyes rolled out of my head.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't doing it well the whole point, though? And there were some amazing work of ecological engineering in the americas.

Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I mean.

cowofwar posted:

Whatever this dude ensured that the piece of poo poo elevated highway through Toronto is maintained at great cost instead of tearing part of it down just so suburban drivers can save a minute.

It's amazing how dumb that vote was.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Constant Hamprince posted:

Canada's indigenous peoples have been unfairly demonized as being 'good environmental stewards' for too long. Keep fighting the good fight, Iki.

You say potato, I say stereotyped in the most patronizing way, mixed with a splash of white guilt and used as a prop to fire up the eco-capitalist engine. The longer the politicians abuse the myth that aboriginals are so much different than the rest of canadians, the deeper they drive that wedge and the longer it will be until we see any real change. A message as blatantly pandering and divisive as JT's doesn't help anybody. If I was a politician trying to stir some level of real compassion in millions of people, the message would be that we're all the same.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Oh right that Pearce. He's retired now and the guy they have teaching 320 in his place is a tool. Never got to take any classes with him.

Nah he was just on leave, he'll be back.

Ikantski posted:

This has been part of climate activism for awhile, most climate change activists are quick to point to first nations people as having a greater interest/investment in the impacts of climate change on their (unceded) territory.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brannock posted:

Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I mean.

Terrace Farms are loving broken, please nerf next patch.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ikantski posted:

So which group of Haida adopted Justin and his old man; Skidegate or the ones that thought it was a good idea to send a freighter load of iron powder out for an incompetent and inadequately monitored ocean fertilization experiment?

JFC

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coolwhoami posted:

Nah he was just on leave, he'll be back.

This has been part of climate activism for awhile, most climate change activists are quick to point to first nations people as having a greater interest/investment in the impacts of climate change on their (unceded) territory.

It is true that in Canada First Nations have spearheaded a lot of environmental fights. This, though, is not due to their status as better stewards of the environment or history of noble savagery. It's because a lot of Canadian environmental concerns, like pipelines or spills, for example, directly affect land that is currently part of First Nations reserves in isolated rural areas that nobody else cares about.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Scaramouche posted:

You guys are going to need to step up your shitposting game with CI on the sidelines for a week. Melian, I'm going to need you to take the morning shift. Ikantski you're on spot duty, and someone see if they can get hold of HAL to get him out of retirement.

I'm offended. :colbert:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Facebook in Vancouver ...?

This office closed some time ago.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i don't keep up with things. when is weed gonna be legal? asking for a friend...

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

THC posted:

I had some really pretty good profs but that guy was something else. He was obsessed with conspiracy theories, said we shouldn't take climate science seriously because computer models are sometimes bad, claimed to have worked for the JPL and that he once met Ronald Reagan. Entertaining but generally pretty unpleasant.

Haha, I was in that class. He's just a really weird guy but he was a good MACM teacher.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Global News has a pretty reasonable article trying to clear up some common misconceptions about climate change: http://globalnews.ca/news/2372582/reality-check-clearing-up-misconceptions-canadians-have-about-climate-change/

It didn't work.

(that's the article's only comment)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Some days I wish I could be just as blissfully ignorant :smith:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

It is true that in Canada First Nations have spearheaded a lot of environmental fights. This, though, is not due to their status as better stewards of the environment or history of noble savagery. It's because a lot of Canadian environmental concerns, like pipelines or spills, for example, directly affect land that is currently part of First Nations reserves in isolated rural areas that nobody else cares about.

I agree, although I also find that many activists tend to emphasize land connectivity in a spiritual way that indeed can be interpreted as seeing first nations people as "noble savages". I am generally incredulous that suddenly a bunch of people who previously didn't care all that much about indigenous issues suddenly care about them a great deal because their goals align. I don't think it's a deliberate act for the most part but it's still a bit worrisome.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
> killing capitalism
> redistribution of wealth
> world government

Are any of these even bad things?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
actually all of them are and I have yet to see someone explain to me how a true functioning communist government would work that wasn't worse that what we have here at our current state.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

QuantaStarFire posted:

> killing capitalism
> world government

In order: yes, possibly depending on degree, and yes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

actually all of them are and I have yet to see someone explain to me how a true functioning communist government would work that wasn't worse that what we have here at our current state.

We wouldnt know until we actually, you know, try it at least once. But no, instead every time an attempt is brought up to change how we would tackle a move to the left everyone thats rich and powerful gets up on their golden soapbox and proclaims that the death of capitalism would be the death of the world because theres no way we could live without them running everything. People have to be poor to appreciate what theyve got after all. :jerkbag:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Do it ironically posted:

redistribution of wealth especially from the affluent who accumulate dead capital is in fact a good thing, even for capitalism

some kind of world governing body with the ability to legislate on behalf of all nations on issues of that scope would probably be a good thing but not really viable until the power players of the day are less able to dictate all world policy like they do at the UN

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

QuantaStarFire posted:

> killing capitalism
> world government

No, and Agenda 21 owns.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Do it ironically posted:

I wouldn't worry about it buddy, you'll be dead long before it happens, purged with the other kulaks. As I imagine most of us would be at some point.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm just saying literally the only reason I work is because I don't want to be homeless, the reality that I could be living on the streets gets me up at 5am. If i didn't have to work, I wouldn't, plain and simple, what are you going to force me to work? That's what I don't get because I'm definitely not the only one who thinks this way, are you going to point a gun in my face and force me to?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

QuantaStarFire posted:

> world government

Given that probably about the population of canada unironically thinks that voting for Donald loving Trump is a good idea, yeah that's probably not such a great thing

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChickenWing posted:

Given that probably about the population of canada unironically thinks that voting for Donald loving Trump is a good idea, yeah that's probably not such a great thing

Who said it would be democratic? Probably a temporary dictatorship of the proletariat until individual areas are ready for more and more local control after successful re-education and the elimination of serious counter-revolutionary elements, might take a generation or two.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Do it ironically posted:

I'm just saying literally the only reason I work is because I don't want to be homeless, the reality that I could be living on the streets gets me up at 5am. If i didn't have to work, I wouldn't, plain and simple, what are you going to force me to work? That's what I don't get because I'm definitely not the only one who thinks this way, are you going to point a gun in my face and force me to?

So, if you were guaranteed a 500 sq. ft. studio apartment in a safe but otherwise arbitrarily crappy location, you'd decide to just sit on your rear end all day, doing nothing to try to improve your circumstances further?

That's unbelievably unambitious and sad, to be honest. Thank god most people don't think like you do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Who said it would be democratic? Probably a temporary dictatorship of the proletariat until individual areas are ready for more and more local control after successful re-education and the elimination of serious counter-revolutionary elements, might take a generation or two.

This sounds like it could go very, very wrong indeed.

EDIT: Honestly, it seems like a frightening number of people all across the political spectrum feel that dictatorship would be cool and good, if only the dictator followed their own personal ideology. You people scare me.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

So, if you were guaranteed a 500 sq. ft. studio apartment in a safe but otherwise arbitrarily crappy location, you'd decide to just sit on your rear end all day, doing nothing to try to improve your circumstances further?

That's unbelievably unambitious and sad, to be honest. Thank god most people don't think like you do.

Yuu'd probably be surprised if you made it an anonymous survey

why the gently caress would i work, i literally couldn't care less about all of you or helping you out, hosed up but true.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Do it ironically posted:

That's counter-revolutionary behavior comrade, I think you may need to go to Siberia for some fun times at a reeducation/work camp. We'll make you appreciate labor :cop:

E: beaten by someone not joking about it. I can't wait for all the middle class revolutionaries to present me their benign Canadian Trosky. A dictatorship of the proletariat is actually the end state of the revolution when the working class is in direct control of the government and means of production, so I'm not sure what a transition from it would mean. The largest city controls everything until they decide everywhere else deserves political freedom?

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

This sounds like it could go very, very wrong indeed.

EDIT: Honestly, it seems like a frightening number of people all across the political spectrum feel that dictatorship would be cool and good, if only the dictator followed their own personal ideology. You people scare me.

But it's actually good! We just need to be ruled by philosopher kings*!

* - do not actually exist