Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
My snap armor/screen protectors come in tomorrow. Crackin' open that New Nintendo 3DS XL tomorrow night and diving into this poo poo before my trip to New York to visit the Nintendo store or whatever. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

StrangeAeon posted:

So I know there's got to be some fan overlap, and I could use a new silly theme/challenge. So here's a question:

If you had to name pokemon after the Primarchs in 40k, which would you choose? Excepting legendary pokes, naturally.

Obviously Garbodor would be Mortarion.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Once more, with feeling - my OR team for the Elite 4:

Flywheel (Lv. 50 Torkoal) - After getting chumped by Steven's Spikes in Alpha Sapphire, I knew I needed to take a Rapid Spinner to the Elite 4, and Flywheel here fitted in best with the rest of my prospective squad. Flamethrower and that high defence stat also proved to be the best weapons for taking down his Metagross, too, so she ended up being 'Mon of the Match there.
Gillespie (Lv. 50 Swampert) - Didn't take a starter (or a mega-evolver) to either X or AS, so thought I'd mix it up. It may take frustratingly long to get Earthquake or Waterfall for him, but once I did he became crazily powerful. And Ice Beam let him roll Drake's team, too.
Bad Hair Day (Lv. 50 Mawile) - Two mega-evolvers on the same team got awkward at times, but Bad Hair Day's been a tremendous powerhouse for the team throughout the game - Huge Power is a hell of a drug.
MagNeato (Lv. 48 Magnezone) - One of those pokes I've been meaning to try out for a while, that crazy special attack stat came in handy plenty of times. Two lots of steel on the team, but hey, it's a good defensive type.
Springfield (Lv. 49 Dustox) - A regular ol' Toxic tank, following up with Venoshock for one-two punches, as well as being the closest thing the team had to a speedster. Sometimes you just have to stall out battles - unless they're against Dark types, in which case Bug Buzz generally did the job.
Fruit Flies (Lv. 48 Tropius) - Another one I've wanted to use for a while. It's a flying dinosaur with bananas on its neck, what's not to like? Had to hide from Glacia while the rest of the team took a bit of a pounding there, but still did a good job.

Honourable mentions go to Tea Leaf the Shiftry, Pelly the Pelipper, Bugsy the Armaldo, Aerospace the Latios, La-Z-Boy the Slaking and QueenOfSpeed the Sharpedo.

Previous E4 teams:

Y - Gladys, Ethel, Quentin, Ed, Douglas, Dorothy
X - Lapis, Bamboozle, Hydranger, Thumper, Jade, The Heavy
AS - Mozilla II, Fiesta Time, OneHitWonder, Fun Guy, Glow, Mrs. Batty

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

Flywheel (Lv. 50 Torkoal) - After getting chumped by Steven's Spikes in Alpha Sapphire, I knew I needed to take a Rapid Spinner to the Elite 4, and Flywheel here fitted in best with the rest of my prospective squad. Flamethrower and that high defence stat also proved to be the best weapons for taking down his Metagross, too, so she ended up being 'Mon of the Match there.
Gillespie (Lv. 50 Swampert) - Didn't take a starter (or a mega-evolver) to either X or AS, so thought I'd mix it up. It may take frustratingly long to get Earthquake or Waterfall for him, but once I did he became crazily powerful. And Ice Beam let him roll Drake's team, too.
Bad Hair Day (Lv. 50 Mawile) - Two mega-evolvers on the same team got awkward at times, but Bad Hair Day's been a tremendous powerhouse for the team throughout the game - Huge Power is a hell of a drug.
MagNeato (Lv. 48 Magnezone) - One of those pokes I've been meaning to try out for a while, that crazy special attack stat came in handy plenty of times. Two lots of steel on the team, but hey, it's a good defensive type.
Springfield (Lv. 49 Dustox) - A regular ol' Toxic tank, following up with Venoshock for one-two punches, as well as being the closest thing the team had to a speedster. Sometimes you just have to stall out battles - unless they're against Dark types, in which case Bug Buzz generally did the job.
Fruit Flies (Lv. 48 Tropius) - Another one I've wanted to use for a while. It's a flying dinosaur with bananas on its neck, what's not to like? Had to hide from Glacia while the rest of the team took a bit of a pounding there, but still did a good job.

Honourable mentions go to Tea Leaf the Shiftry, Pelly the Pelipper, Bugsy the Armaldo, Aerospace the Latios, La-Z-Boy the Slaking and QueenOfSpeed the Sharpedo.

Previous E4 teams:

I love Torkoal, mad props for using him. :3: Not as cute as macargo or slugma, but he's a badass fire turtle.

Turtle pokemon are the best pokemon.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

you let the ai setup spikes on you?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ruggington posted:

you let the ai setup spikes on you?
Steven leads with a Skarmory with Sturdy, there wasn't a huge amount I could do to stop it getting the spikes off in AS. Shame really, because they ruined OneHitWonder and he'd've been perfect for dealing with Steven's Metagross.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Previous E4 teams:

This is a cool team just for having Torkoal, Dustox and Tropius on it, and the nicknames make the whole thing even more awesome.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

MagNeato is the best name for a magnezone there is.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Previous E4 teams:

I remember the first time I found a Tropius back in the Sapphire days and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.
Then I learned this rad monster is widely regarded to be a piece of poo poo. :(

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Got to admit, I went through a few iterations with the Name Rater to get some of the nicknames just right. Springfield's on her fourth name now (my brain went "Dustox... Dusty... Springfield!")

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Pentaro posted:

I remember the first time I found a Tropius back in the Sapphire days and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

gently caress tier charts. I lead with Farfetch'd. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I eagerly look forward to being disappointed by mega tropius

I hope it has more bananas

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Pentaro posted:

Pokemon are more than just weapons, guy. My buddy Tropicana is an indispensable member of my team with Fly, Rock Smash, Sweet Scent, and... Cut, I think.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I eagerly look forward to being disappointed by mega tropius

I hope it has more bananas

Banana Meteor

e: VVV Cacturne is the catalyst of the legendary "Sucker Punch spam" team

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 2, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The best thing about the Pokemon main game is that you can whatever combo of cool rear end dudes you want. I'm gonna use Cacturne and Seviper on my Omega Ruby playthrough and I'm pretty sure they aren't good but hell yeah I'm gonna use a demon cactus and a big loving snake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

God help the poor son of a bitch whose favorites are Sunflora, Ledian, and Unown, though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Pentaro posted:

I beat champ wallace with a level 29 tropius

he's my friend and he's powerful

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

I am Reverend posted:

Banana Meteor

From the only other game series I've ever been as obsessed with as this one...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

God help the poor son of a bitch whose favorites are Sunflora, Ledian, and Unown, though.

Fun facts about Ledian, a pokemon that learns a lot of physical punching attacks and has Iron Fist as a hidden ability

Pokemon it has lower attack than;

Pichu
Butterfree
Pachirisu
Ditto

In fact, it has the 7th lowest attack of all fully evolved Pokemon only beating out;

Blissey
Smeargle
Luvdisc
Shuckle
Darmanitan (Zen)
Wobbuffet

... gently caress you gamefreak

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

you can make ledian good in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mega Ledian just puts all +100 stats into Attack, then gives it Huge Power.

Still dies to a stiff breeze though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

remove 100 points of special defense, put it all in speed

then give it 100 in attack, megahorn, aerialate, huge power, gale wings, and wonder guard

guaranteed uu 4 sure

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ruggington posted:

remove 100 points of special defense, put it all in speed

then give it 100 in attack, megahorn, aerialate, huge power, gale wings, and wonder guard

guaranteed uu 4 sure

Wonder Guard on a Bug/Flying? That's still NU at best

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Mega Ledian just puts all +100 stats into Attack, then gives it Huge Power.

Still dies to a stiff breeze though.

In Gen VII, Ledian now can learn Mach Punch.
Become the One Punch Bug.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

As in, One HP Damage Punch Bug.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kikas posted:

In Gen VII, Ledian now can learn Mach Punch.
Become the One Punch Bug.

it learns mach punch at level 17

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Wonder Guard on a Bug/Flying? That's still NU at best

*huge power, aerialate, gale wings double edges you*

it's not very effective

*dies*

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ruggington posted:

you can make ledian good in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

He was my partner in Explorers of Sky's postgame and I would pump him full of Protein, give him a Mobile Scarf, and set him to "go the other way" and he'd pick up hidden items in walls and beat up anyone he came across.

He's leading my current team in Super too, and despite it being stupid in the normal games Comet Punch is, like other PMD multi-hit moves, the best. He's paired with Arm Thrust Pin Missile Bullet Seed Heracross and they're bug bros.

EDIT: Also, it took 3000 years but

got my fav

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 2, 2015

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Now I really want to try using Ledian, with all the poo poo being flung at it. Maybe I'll do a Fling set?

Can anybody give me a HA Ledyba though? I can give you a HA Munna (or anything from ORAS if you don't mind waiting) for it.
FC : 2895 - 9068 - 6799 (Schmidt)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I ask a question in regards to super?

I've literally never played this series before and the only game similar to it is ZHP years ago. I got introduced to the quest grid thing or whatever you want to call it and finished Sylveon's only to get told the next quest is to beat up a level 50 dragon that one shots me and I'm not sure if this game's pulling my leg or what.

The story seems to have just kinda ended with the vacation and there's literally no other quests as far as I can tell so I'm just kind of walking around picking up trash and it's not terribly exciting. What exactly am I missing or is the rest of the game just eat berries and grind?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've literally never played this series before and the only game similar to it is ZHP years ago. I got introduced to the quest grid thing or whatever you want to call it and finished Sylveon's only to get told the next quest is to beat up a level 50 dragon that one shots me and I'm not sure if this game's pulling my leg or what.

The story seems to have just kinda ended with the vacation and there's literally no other quests as far as I can tell so I'm just kind of walking around picking up trash and it's not terribly exciting. What exactly am I missing or is the rest of the game just eat berries and grind?

You can absolutely beat the level 50 dragon at your current level with judicious item use, sleep wands are very effective.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Get good.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Even if you don't beat Salamence, you can still get other sidequests by talking or fighting other pokes. Though I don't remember if you can get too much more at that point? Just do an expedition without trying to do the Salamence mission (or any missions at all!), that should advance the plot.

The Story goes nuts after vacation, you haven't seen anything yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do I get good

I don't know the flow of these games

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Use your wands, use your orbs, use your alliance attacks (They bypass resistances) and just circle-beat the fucker.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You never need to grind. Use items to beat Salamence (and the rest of the game).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do I get good

I don't know the flow of these games

Wands are your friend. So are Blast Seeds. They do seriously massive damage. Here's a good tip: bring the Vulpix. It should have Roar. Set up an Alliance, and end with Roar. Salamence only has close-range attacks. Keep Alliancing it when it gets close, and it can't do poo poo cuz it wastes all its turns walking back up to you.

Oh and Alliance Attacks ignore type resistances.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
How to get good:

-Get as many sleep wands as possible. Confusion wands might work too if you're out of sleep wands.
-Get a bunch of Blast Seeds(at least 4)
-Spam both
-Win

Similar strategies apply for any place where you're suddenly getting your rear end kicked.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah wands work especially well in battles that take place during expeditions. Less so during boss battles because they shrug off status ailments much more easily. But say in the future, you run into large groups of enemies that you're tasked to beat during expeditions, you can use Warp, Petrify, Stayaway Wands to make sure you're only fighting one at a time, and Slumber Wands to keep them locked in one position and never attacking you back. They can also, I assume, fall victim to other handy wands like Quarter, HP-Swap, Truant... Basically, don't be afraid to use your items. Hoarding is the worst thing you could do.

EDIT:

Silver Falcon posted:

Also, :siren: Wands work at range! :siren: I didn't figure that out for an embarrassingly long time.

Super good tip, I was stupid about this for a while too.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Also, :siren: Wands work at range! :siren: I didn't figure that out for an embarrassingly long time. I kept using Wands at 1-range. No. No you can totally snipe things from across the room, and if you have the "Wand Expert" Emera, you can AoE with Wands! I'm not sure what the maximum range is, but it's at least 4 squares.

• Locked thread