Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Peggy not catching on at all when her friend asked where she was for the fourth time

I cant tell if she was just playing along, or really not catching on to the wierdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I loving love this show so much.

It really looks like Ed and Peggy are caught and are going to jail. Unless they manage to cartoonishly escape, that's where they'll end up. Ah well, probably better for Peggy. She can become the prison hair dresser and help the other inmates to actualize.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Paladinus posted:

My only complaint about this show is that I don't think there's been a single oofta and we're already 8 episodes in.

Well, I mean, ya know.

the phrase is "uff da". an "oofta" is an archaic term for a black american who adjusts their "blackness" depending on context

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 2, 2015

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
"It’s an 18th Century word for dark-skinned Moor. I’ve learned the word ‘black’ in every language, just so I know when to be offended. Russian tcherny, Korean hooking, dolphin eeee eeee eee eeee."

Not a retort, just always looking for an excuse for a good Tracy Morgan quote.

Also: "That is a 15th Century term for a black pirate. Racist!"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I just realized that the movie peggy was watching was loving foreshadowing the end of the episode.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This show is so loving good. Dunst is absolutely amazing, she is pulling off batshit insane so well. The conversation in the car jesus christ.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

KoRMaK posted:

I just realized that the movie peggy was watching was loving foreshadowing the end of the episode.

:aaaaa: Oh my god you're right. I mean the obvious connection was the Dodd reveal immediately afterwards, like he was the Nazi who just got away when you thought he was done for. But then Larsson and Solverson show up like the American soldier and shoot at the Nazi (Hanzee) who walks away.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

:aaaaa: Oh my god you're right. I mean the obvious connection was the Dodd reveal immediately afterwards, like he was the Nazi who just got away when you thought he was done for. But then Larsson and Solverson show up like the American soldier and shoot at the Nazi (Hanzee) who walks away.

i took it to mean that hanzee was reagan. he puts on a good show in the movies (rhetoric), but when the rubber meets the road he'll leave you high and dry, c.f. the urinal scene with lou

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I absolutely love how they've shown that the Gerhardts are far, far more interested in their war than getting Dodd back. They could really care less. Not only does it shoe the family's indifference (at best) for the POS Dodd, but it also contrasts well with all the Hell they raised about Rye. Not nearly that level of attention went into retrieving Dodd.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I absolutely love how they've shown that the Gerhardts are far, far more interested in their war than getting Dodd back. They could really care less. Not only does it shoe the family's indifference (at best) for the POS Dodd, but it also contrasts well with all the Hell they raised about Rye. Not nearly that level of attention went into retrieving Dodd.

Well, it wasn't really the Gerhardts as a whole that didn't give a poo poo about Dodd; it was just the brother who kind of hates him.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Remember that Hanzee called the compound and told the Gerhardts that he found Dodd. Floyd went running to the phone, because she cares about all of her children. Why Hanzee called home to give the news about Dodd, and then went to kill him remains to be seen I guess.

I'm guessing Bear's showing of appreciation towards Hanzee is what killed Dodd. Bear called him a brother, and Dodd called him a mongrel.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well, it wasn't really the Gerhardts as a whole that didn't give a poo poo about Dodd; it was just the brother who kind of hates him.

Fair enough, but Bear is basically working as their head enforcer now. I guess that's more accurate.

edit:

jerkstoresup posted:

Remember that Hanzee called the compound and told the Gerhardts that he found Dodd. Floyd went running to the phone, because she cares about all of her children. Why Hanzee called home to give the news about Dodd, and then went to kill him remains to be seen I guess.

I'm guessing Bear's showing of appreciation towards Hanzee is what killed Dodd. Bear called him a brother, and Dodd called him a mongrel.
Yeah, also that, too. Fair points.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

jerkstoresup posted:

Why Hanzee called home to give the news about Dodd, and then went to kill him remains to be seen I guess.

The impression I got was that Hanzee originally didn't intend to kill Dodd when he entered the cabin, that he was still torn between loyalty to the Gerhardts and the super lovely day he had just experienced, and once Dodd started with the half breed poo poo it set him off.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i took it to mean that hanzee was reagan. he puts on a good show in the movies (rhetoric), but when the rubber meets the road he'll leave you high and dry, c.f. the urinal scene with lou

Well after the little incident at the bar he had no real reason to be loyal to the Gerhardts anymore. It's not like he could just go back to living at Gerhardt HQ or even remain in the state. I'm supposing the only reason he tracked down Ed'n Peggy was some lingering loyalty to Dodd. And to get a kicking haircut of course.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Really mixed on this episode. I liked the suspense and the way Peggy was spiraling into crazy but having Hanzee, who has likely spent his whole life dealing with racism, suddenly break at the exact moment he's about to rescue Dodd just seemed really contrived. I mean the dude was forced to be a tunnel rat probably because his racist NCOs didn't give a poo poo if he made it out alive but a couple racists at a bar make him go full murder spree? And how many times is Peggy going to somehow physically overcome professional murderers? I know it's supposed to be a dark comedy but this episode really just seemed a bit too corny and slapstick. The Blumqists have bungled their way out of hopeless situations just one too many times for my tastes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Unzip and Attack posted:

Really mixed on this episode. I liked the suspense and the way Peggy was spiraling into crazy but having Hanzee, who has likely spent his whole life dealing with racism, suddenly break at the exact moment he's about to rescue Dodd just seemed really contrived. I mean the dude was forced to be a tunnel rat probably because his racist NCOs didn't give a poo poo if he made it out alive but a couple racists at a bar make him go full murder spree?

In my head, what makes that fit is his nice role at the Gerhardt family business softening up longstanding depersonalization, causing unresolved issues he's been numb to to finally become emotional again and serve as triggers for three tours in Vietnam's-worth of PTSD.

And as the business dissolves, and his role within it, as he sees the sign...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0cGt5-69k

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Hanzee recognized a fellow tunnel rat in Peggy who defended her basement maze successfully against overwhelming odds.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Peggy's line about his bone structure was great.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the phrase is "uff da". an "oofta" is an archaic term for a black american who adjusts their "blackness" depending on context

So is Milligan an 'oofta' with his apparently white accent? :v:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Have you actualized fully?

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 2, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Mouse Dresser posted:

It really looks like Ed and Peggy are caught and are going to jail. Unless they manage to cartoonishly escape, that's where they'll end up. Ah well, probably better for Peggy. She can become the prison hair dresser and help the other inmates to actualize.
I don't know why people keep saying this. Lou & Hank are obviously gonna get caught up in whatever happens between the Gerhardts and the KC mob in the remaining episodes, which should provide enough non-cartoonish escape opportunities (or death). poo poo, we don't even know if they brought backup cops yet.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Such an awesome episode. I'd really like for Ed and Peggy to make it out alive and well (or at least in prison but still alive). The initial impression was that they were a couple of goofy and selfish (mostly Peggy) people, who would deserve any comeuppance, but that quickly shifted and now they are two people who despite obvious flaws care for each other and manage to survive together against all odds. And they are really fun to watch.

I mean we already know that Sioux Falls is going to be a massacre and probably one worse than those we already had in the season, but at least Ed and Peggy seem to be taken away from that.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 2, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Really mixed on this episode. I liked the suspense and the way Peggy was spiraling into crazy but having Hanzee, who has likely spent his whole life dealing with racism, suddenly break at the exact moment he's about to rescue Dodd just seemed really contrived.

You could certainly argue this. It will be interesting to see how his breakdown looks once all the episodes are out.

The part I found more contrived was how Hank and Lou show up at the cabin. First, there is the issue of our hero cops driving all over the countryside to find the place where the Blumquists are holed up. Ed, being a typical country boy, likely knows of a dozen or more cabins and old family farms that are unoccupied and that they can hide out in for a while (especially since it isn't lake season). Of course, Lou and Hank know this too, but this raises the question of how they interviewed all of Ed's family, friends, high school sports teammates, and childhood piano teacher, compiled a list of every property owned by these people and their extended families, and devised a plan to hunt and check every one of them, many of which are no doubt an hour or two away from Luverne, and in every direction.

Second, it seems like Lou and Hank have totally forgotten their basic cop skills. After watching the episode, I was confused, because Rushmore, MN, is nowhere near Clay County, the name of the gas station and the newspaper sold there, respectively. So I looked at a map and realized there is a Clay County in South Dakota too (and apparently the gas station is just a Mount Rushmore tourist trap). The problem here, of course, is that you have two cops from Minnesota barreling over a state border. On top of this, they aren't following the basic cop strategy of covering all the exits of a building, which is surprising given the tactilol treatment that Lou gave Peggy's magazine crypt earlier.

However, the "why are these morons bumbling up to a cabin in the wrong state" thing might have an easy explanation: there are South Dakota cops waiting outside the front of the cabin, and Hanzee is caught by them right as he exits.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The ethnic badass over-reacting to racism with a violence/murder spree was a little cliche for Fargo, I thought. The entire arc I was waiting for him to get on with the most predictable actions. So was the tied up villain escaping poo poo. I'd be a little down on this episode if it wasn't for Peggy being batshit crazy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I assumed Hanzee's haircut was because he intended (figuratively if not literally) to switch over to the side of The Future. The whole "tradition" versus "future" dynamic has been splattered all over the season, and the fact that he said he wanted a "professional" cut plays up how he (and the Gerhardts and the Upper Midwesterners) are (allegedly) about tradition and family and etc. What has that gotten Hanzee?

1) He's the henchman for a family who has mostly been getting slaughtered in their war with cold impersonal business-y Kansas City.
2) He tracks down Ed and Peggy for the family, and Dodd coerces him into lying about how Ed is a KC hitman even though Hanzee knows they're not in order to further this war.
3) The war doesn't go that great for the Gerhardts, and Dodd specifically proceeds to gently caress up his revenge murder of Ed and Peggy
4) Dodd's fuckups get at least two lieutenants killed, his nephew in jail, and gets Dodd himself kidnapped by a butcher and a hairdresser.
5) So he tracks them down AGAIN and finds Dodd, bleeding and paralyzed on the floor, hurling racist invective at him.
6) At this point he must realize the only real players involved on the Gerhardt side are an imprisoned matriarch, one brother who hates Dodd's guts, and Dodd, a bumbling, paraplegic racist.
7) He also spent the whole day getting poo poo on for his family/tradition/past and snapped and killed some dudes and now has an APB out and his picture in the papers, wanted for murder.

On the micro level, getting a haircut will at least make it harder for people to ID him while he's on the lam.
On the macro level, Hanzee seems savvy enough to realize that even if no one really 'wins' the war, the Gerhardts sure as heck aren't winning. If he has to choose a side between their 'tradition' and the future represented by Kansas City (who everyone keeps describing and cold and businesslike) maybe he thinks a haircut will help him try to sell his services to Kansas City (or more abstractly, any crime organization that represents 'the future' and also isn't racist as all hell.

Of course, on the other side of things you have Mike Milligan, the most flamboyant figure in the Kansas City organization, also the only person of color who plays any real role, bumping up against the racism inherent in the KC organization too. And the two of them are some of the only pieces left on the board for the last two episodes.

I liked the haircut thing a lot, I could be reading way too much into it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The part I found more contrived was how Hank and Lou show up at the cabin.

The store owner called the police when he realized who Hanzee was. How the cops got there so fast was a little iffy but that's how the authorities found out. Why there weren't other local cops swarming the place is also a bit of a mystery, considering the huge manhunt that was on for Hanzee.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Did anybody catch what Hanzee said before the haircut? I thought it was something like "I'm tired of this life" but I wasn't sure and I wasn't able to go back and re-watch it yet.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

lifts cats over head posted:

Did anybody catch what Hanzee said before the haircut? I thought it was something like "I'm tired of this life" but I wasn't sure and I wasn't able to go back and re-watch it yet.

It was "all professional like" I think? As in a respectable 'I am not a dangerous man' haircut.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

lifts cats over head posted:

That's what I heard.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
what i got out of it was that hanzee wanted to die and knew that Peggy was going to try to damage him via scissors

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

Really mixed on this episode. I liked the suspense and the way Peggy was spiraling into crazy but having Hanzee, who has likely spent his whole life dealing with racism, suddenly break at the exact moment he's about to rescue Dodd just seemed really contrived. I mean the dude was forced to be a tunnel rat probably because his racist NCOs didn't give a poo poo if he made it out alive but a couple racists at a bar make him go full murder spree?

I mean, all we have to go by is what has happened this season obviously, but my assumption is that after Hanzee got back from Vietnam he has been working for the Gerhardts but has probably only been doing basic tracking/enforcing work. Until Dodd started his stupid cry baby war and put him right back in the poo poo, massacring a bunch of people and putting his life in constant danger.

I don't think you can pin it down to one incident that made him snap, it's just an entire life of doing people's terrible dirty work while they treat you like poo poo because of your race. Hanzee may have hated it in 'Nam but he obviously couldn't have snapped on his CO without getting killed. He just had the perfect opportunity here with Dodd having already been kidnapped and beaten to within an inch of his life, he just decided he had had enough. The Gerhardts are on their way out and can't protect him from being hunted down for killing those cops, and none of them are in a position to get revenge on him anyway, why the hell should he take Dodd's poo poo in this situation?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Edge & Christian posted:

Of course, on the other side of things you have Mike Milligan, the most flamboyant figure in the Kansas City organization, also the only person of color who plays any real role, bumping up against the racism inherent in the KC organization too. And the two of them are some of the only pieces left on the board for the last two episodes.

Lots of parallels between those two, and they're the most competent actors in their respective organizations who do basically all the real legwork. And they keep getting hosed from all sides, so there's definitely going to be a meetup before this is all over. What the outcome will actually be is up in the air at this point since we already have the K.C. leader dead and most of the Gerhardt family dead.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'd love it if mike and hanzee teamed up and went around stomping on white privilege

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

The store owner called the police when he realized who Hanzee was. How the cops got there so fast was a little iffy but that's how the authorities found out. Why there weren't other local cops swarming the place is also a bit of a mystery, considering the huge manhunt that was on for Hanzee.

I think Ed also mentioned it was his uncle's cabin. Probably not something that requires extended interviewing in a little town like Luverne.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Edge & Christian posted:

I assumed Hanzee's haircut was because he intended (figuratively if not literally) to switch over to the side of The Future.

He's going to kidnap George Clooney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqeoW3XRa0

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think Ed also mentioned it was his uncle's cabin. Probably not something that requires extended interviewing in a little town like Luverne.
On topf of that, the gas station guy tells Ed it's the wrong season for a vacation (so most / all the other cabins would be empty) and Ed didn't bother hiding Dodd's car (which is how Hanzee found them).

We also have no idea how large or small that lake actually is yet (unless local MN goon makes another effortpost).

Lemon
May 22, 2003

We also don't know the full story of how the cops got there yet, this whole last episode was just filling us in on what happened in the cabin during the previous one, so we might get some more info in the next.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was hoping we'd get some full auto action out of Hanzee's M-16, but he was pretty surgical putting down those cops in the alley by the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
They spent three minutes in the opening scene of this season showing a couple of rich, out-of-touch white guys jerking around a Native American actor from New Jersey. On a historical site where a bunch of white guys shot 300 Native Americans for absolutely no reason and got medals for it.

I guess Hanzee decided it was time to fully actualize.

• Locked thread