Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The Global Energy Balance Network, the group funded by coca-cola to tell kids it's a-ok to eat a lot of junk food and eat a lot of sugary poo poo as long as you balance it with exercise, has disbanded:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/anti-obesity-group-funded-by-coke-global-energy-balance-network-disbanding/

quote:

The group had previously said that it received an "unrestricted gift" from Coke and that the Atlanta-based soft drink giant had "no input" into its activities.

Last week, The Associated Press reported on emails showing that Coke helped with the selection of the group's leaders, edited its mission statement and suggested content for its website. When contacted about the exchanges, Coke CEO Muhtar Kent said in a statement there wasn't enough transparency regarding the company's involvement.

But lol if you think this is going to affect children's health education one iota:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/obesity-exercise-energy-balance

quote:

The class is part of a program called Together Counts. That program is wholly funded by a group called the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation—which is in turn run and bankrolled by junk food corporations. Indra Nooyi, CEO of PepsiCo, is the chair of the board, and directors include the CEOs of Kellogg, Hershey, Nestle USA, Coca-Cola, Unilever, Smucker, and General Mills. The organization's mission, according to tax filings, is "to help families and schools reduce obesity—especially childhood obesity."

In addition to schools, the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation, which has an annual budget of about $10 million, funds energy balance programs for a wide variety of organizations, including the Girl Scouts, the National Parent Teacher Association, and the National Head Start Association. A Boy Scouts program is in the works. Moms are sponsored to blog about the benefits of the energy balance programs. In all, HWCF estimates that 28 million students from pre-K through fifth grade have taken part in the program, as well as another 1.7 million Girl Scouts.

Basically kids are getting this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay0dnLeCGGw

And getting taught that literally all there is to weight loss is to just exercise for 100 calories for every 100 calories you eat, completely ignoring whether those calories are coming from fat, whether there's a balance of the right nutrients, etc.

The girl scout handbook in the Mother Jones article is pretty bad and you can see that the prevailing lesson these kids are learning isn't so much to be smart about their energy intake as it is teaching them that they better consume a lot of food in case they want to be active. It doesn't mention energy stored in fat, nothing about weight, nothing about the different rate at which calories burn, it's a mess. It advocates snacking between meals to "keep your energy up" and advocates such great ideas as "you need to be active for 60 minutes a day but that doesn't need to come all at once, you can do little spurts throughout the day."

You wonder why kids are getting fat in the United States of America, it's because your curricula are all based on this 1936 way of thinking about exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There already is a fat thread in dnd.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think he wants to have an actual discussion and not read the Best of GBS and r/fatpeoplehate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think schools are making kids fat. They certainly weren't teaching good health or nutritional science back before the juvenile obesity epidemic.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

pathetic little tramp posted:

The Global Energy Balance Network, the group funded by coca-cola to tell kids it's a-ok to eat a lot of junk food and eat a lot of sugary poo poo as long as you balance it with exercise, has disbanded:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/anti-obesity-group-funded-by-coke-global-energy-balance-network-disbanding/

But lol if you think this is going to affect children's health education one iota:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/obesity-exercise-energy-balance

Basically kids are getting this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay0dnLeCGGw

And getting taught that literally all there is to weight loss is to just exercise for 100 calories for every 100 calories you eat, completely ignoring whether those calories are coming from fat, whether there's a balance of the right nutrients, etc.

The girl scout handbook in the Mother Jones article is pretty bad and you can see that the prevailing lesson these kids are learning isn't so much to be smart about their energy intake as it is teaching them that they better consume a lot of food in case they want to be active. It doesn't mention energy stored in fat, nothing about weight, nothing about the different rate at which calories burn, it's a mess. It advocates snacking between meals to "keep your energy up" and advocates such great ideas as "you need to be active for 60 minutes a day but that doesn't need to come all at once, you can do little spurts throughout the day."

You wonder why kids are getting fat in the United States of America, it's because your curricula are all based on this 1936 way of thinking about exercise.

That and microwave pizza being equal to a vegetable serving doesn't help.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

So is this poll claiming that registered Democrats would be more likely to vote for the Republican candidate if Hillary wins the nomination?
More likely to vote third party or not vote at all, I'd guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I've come to the conclusion that Trump is a Native American trickster god.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Also topical: Students at a 95% free lunch Chicago high school are forced to eat Aramark-provided lunch food that's so bad they're boycotting it because it's worse than the food Aramark sells to prisons.

quote:

Rotten pears, burned pizza, and fat-filled chicken patties and burgers. Those are just some of the unappetizing, often unhealthy lunch items being served to teens at Roosevelt High School on Chicago’s Northwest Side—and some of the students have had enough. Starting Wednesday, they plan to boycott the gross cafeteria food, and they have launched a petition demanding that lunch offerings be improved.

The effort, called “The School Lunch Project: Culinary Denial,” was created in November by civics students at the school. They hope to educate the public about the problem with the food they are being served and mobilize the 1,400 students at Roosevelt to stand up for better nutrition.

“I think it’s especially important for young people in Chicago—where we see so much corruption, cronyism, and nepotism—that they learn how to make change within large organizations,” Tim Meegan, a veteran social studies teacher at Roosevelt who supports the student-led effort, told WBEZ on Monday. “This is just one of many diverse tactics that we are trying to teach young people so they are fully equipped to participate as citizens in a democratic society.

The school serves a student body that’s 94 percent minority—predominantly Latino and black—and mostly low-income. A full 95 percent of students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch—which, given the school-to-prison pipeline, makes one observation the students made about the offerings from food service provider Aramark particularly problematic.

“Today, our lunch at Roosevelt is no better than the ones in Cook County prison. In fact Aramark is the food service provider for both institutions,” wrote the student activists on the project’s website. Chicago Public Schools partnered with Philadelphia-based Aramark two years ago when the district, like several others across the nation, shifted to offering free meals to all students at most campuses.

“Prisons only care about one thing when it comes down to meals—that it has enough nutrients for what the human body needs, it doesn’t matter if it tastes or smells bad. One online review of the prison food shows that prisoners get better food from Aramark than we do. For example they have corn muffins, steamed carrots, green beans, also mac and cheese.”

The teens mainly want appetizing food that meets the disputed healthier standards—less fat and sodium and more healthy fruits and vegetables—set by the National School Lunch Program. In other words, fruits and vegetables that aren’t rotten and main course offerings other than pizza or burgers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

I stared into the abyss of a Donald Trump related CNN comment section, and leave it bewildered. What is the appeal of being a mean spirited rear end in a top hat? Worse, taking pride in being "un-PC", which really only translates to kicking people who are already down?

Secondly, where do they get this poo poo? It's not in the bible to be that way. It's not in children's programming. Hell, most media in general has some sort of "don't be a raging rear end in a top hat" vibe.

We have a presidential candidate here in the Philippines whose schtick is about the same thing: he brags about extra-marital affairs, he brags about having shot criminals dead and burning the bodies afterwards, he cussed out the Pope because the Papal visit left him stuck in traffic

And much like Trump, he just gets more supporters and rabid fans for it.

The main thing is that if you're tired of "establishment/traditional politicians", a candidate that shoots his mouth off distances himself from those kinds of people, because even Huckabee or Ron Paul etc still have the slightest veneer of speaking like a statesman even when the meaning of their statements themselves is vile

By being "politically incorrect", Trump distances himself from everyone else. He's willing to do things that the other candidates won't, and once you vote him into the Presidency, he's going to follow-through on that un-PC-ness into results.

You know how it goes: Tea Party darlings get voted into Congress ... but the Democrats keep winning on their agenda anyway! When will this slow string of defeats be stopped?! Trump will stop it, because he can do an end-run around those darned Democrats and RINOs the same way he's doing an end-run around the basic rules of public discourse.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

“I think it’s especially important for young people in Chicago—where we see so much corruption, cronyism, and nepotism—that they learn how to make change within large organizations,” Tim Meegan, a veteran social studies teacher at Roosevelt who supports the student-led effort, told WBEZ on Monday.

RIP high school social studies teacher.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

euphronius posted:

There already is a fat thread in dnd.

I actually dıd not know that and trıed lookıng for ıt, my bad

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/mitch-mcconnell-campaign-finance_n_6251380.html

Huffpo link, sorry, but Mcconnell wants to combat the pervasive influence of SuperPACs... by effectively ending restrictions on campaign contribution limits and coordination between candidates and national party councils.

Fight fire with fire until we're all literally on fire! :hellyeah:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Don't conservatives say that birth control pills are abortificents? I swear I heard someone like Santorum say that. And many others as well.

gently caress it, y'all. Why dogwhistle anymore? We know what they're really trying to say here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BlJRtsQrgo

pathetic little tramp posted:

If you're exercising enough to burn every calorie you eat every day, you're going to be swole as gently caress. At 2500 calories, that's daily marathons, ~4 hours of squats, etc. You'll be an exhausted, broken, hungry, muscular, skeleton in no time.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Monkey Fracas posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/mitch-mcconnell-campaign-finance_n_6251380.html

Huffpo link, sorry, but Mcconnell wants to combat the pervasive influence of SuperPACs... by effectively ending restrictions on campaign contribution limits and coordination between candidates and national party councils.

Fight fire with fire until we're all literally on fire! :hellyeah:

Mcconnell does not want to work in the senate anymore apparently.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Toph Bei Fong posted:

gently caress it, y'all. Why dogwhistle anymore? We know what they're really trying to say here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BlJRtsQrgo

If you're exercising enough to burn every calorie you eat every day, you're going to be swole as gently caress. At 2500 calories, that's daily marathons, ~4 hours of squats, etc. You'll be an exhausted, broken, hungry, muscular, skeleton in no time.

You'd die of water poisoning long before becoming a skeleton. Then you become a skeleton.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

euphronius posted:

The South has poo poo tons of oil so that would make things really interesting.

Well I guess it would depend on where California and the other west states filtered out.

California had been admitted as a free state as part of the Compromise of 1850 and was fiercely pro-Union once the war started, with the small minority of secessionist traitors in Southern California being suppressed by the end of 1861.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Harry Turtledove has a series of books that start with the South winning the war and then following that history all the way through like WW2. I only really remember that they called tanks barrels for some reason.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Captain_Maclaine posted:

California had been admitted as a free state as part of the Compromise of 1850 and was fiercely pro-Union once the war started, with the small minority of secessionist traitors in Southern California being suppressed by the end of 1861.

Almost completely accurate, with one small exception.

A tiny town in NorCal technically seceded from the Union in 1850 and, due to a clerical error, didn't rejoin for a very long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_and_Ready,_California

From the Anderson Valley Advisor:

http://theava.com/03/0910-roughready.html

quote:

On April 7th, 1850, the townspeople signed a Constitution similar to that of the United States, and they elected Colonel E. F. Brundage as President. The Constitution was referred to as Brundage's Manifesto, and read in part: "We deem it necessary and prudential to withdraw from said Territory (of California) and from the United States of America to form, peacefully if we can, forcibly if we must, the Great Republic of Rough and Ready," but the Republic fizzled the following 4th of July when Nevada City saloon owners refused to sell liquor to "foreigners."

Another town meeting was held, and the citizens of the "Great Republic" thirstily decided they wanted to rejoin the Union — immediately — so the world's smallest nation came to an end in slightly less than three months.

On July 28th, 1851, Rough and Ready became the third town in Nevada County to establish its own post office, but it was discontinued for about five years during World War II. When the local citizens reapplied for a post office, old records revealed the town had never officially rejoined the Union, but the matter was finally settled and Rough and Ready was welcomed back into the United States in 1948 — almost a century after seceding.

To be fair, though, this was a "nation" brought to its knees by a liquor shortage; it's unlikely it would have made much military impact.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't know what would have happened to CA eventually since it was not contiguous with the rest of the states.

But that would have been a real wildcard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I think Harry Turtledove has a series of books that start with the South winning the war and then following that history all the way through like WW2. I only really remember that they called tanks barrels for some reason.

Yes. It's really not as interesting as you might think by dint of Turtledove basically find-and-replace-ing his way through WWI and WWII, except with American locales.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. It's really not as interesting as you might think by dint of Turtledove basically find-and-replace-ing his way through WWI and WWII, except with American locales.

Yeah, Turtledove's real AH wheelhouse is his Agent of Byzantium series, since he's got a Ph.D. on the subject. Everything else is a little more :effort:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I haven't read those, but in the real world "tank" was because when the first tanks were still classified wartime projects the cover story was that they were being developed as mobile water tanks for the front. So probably just an "exact terminology differed" sort of AU thing there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Killer robot posted:

I haven't read those, but in the real world "tank" was because when the first tanks were still classified wartime projects the cover story was that they were being developed as mobile water tanks for the front. So probably just an "exact terminology differed" sort of AU thing there.

Oh, well there you go, thanks.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

You'd die of water poisoning long before becoming a skeleton. Then you become a skeleton.

I see nothing wrong with this, and if approved, Our Troops would become invincible. Why is Obama not letting our skeleton warriors loose?

In other news, Thomas Piketty agrees with Bernie Sanders that income equality is the driving factor in most of the world's problems.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, because it's hit the right-wing media at this point, so it must be true.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I see nothing wrong with this, and if approved, Our Troops would become invincible. Why is Obama not letting our skeleton warriors loose?

In other news, Thomas Piketty agrees with Bernie Sanders that income equality is the driving factor in most of the world's problems.

This should be hung up in every high school across America. :allears:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Thank you for this .

Usually I read this thread to keep me depressed and hopeless. Today, a reasonable belly chuckle.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Re: Alt history.

CA has a metric gently caress-ton of oil and basically cancels out what the gulf states (minus Texas) produce. Texas however is literally a petrol-state and produces something like 1/2 of all US oil.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Does anyone remember what that website was called that catalogged all the crazy poo poo in the 2008 election? it was almost like just plaintext of all the nontroversies like the flag pin incident and madrassa raising and stuff

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Does anyone remember what that website was called that catalogged all the crazy poo poo in the 2008 election? it was almost like just plaintext of all the nontroversies like the flag pin incident and madrassa raising and stuff

http://thisfuckingelection.com

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

"You haven't heard of me I'm Chris Dodd" makes me crack up everytime.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Hypothetically, if the Union and the Confederacy remained split as two separate countries to this day, would their relationship to each other be like India and Pakistan's today (ie highly poisonous and antagonistic)?

its extremely unlikely that the south would still exist, its economy was based almost entirely around cotton production and it's unlikely that would change after the cotton barons won a war of independence. in the late 1800 cotton took a giant hit due to expanded global production and the boll weevil, so then you have the south's economy collapsing at most a few decades after the war, at a time when the north's industrial economy is growing tremendously

assuming that the south somehow managed to survive this economic shock, the almost certain large scale self smuggling of hundreds of thousands of slaves to a much more welcoming north, and the tricky navigation of a certified constitutionally guaranteed slave state in an era when slavery really starts to become unpopular, all with a vengeful and industrially powerful hostile neighbor, the relatiohship would be probably less hostile but far more imbalanced as a power differential than india/pakistan

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there any truth to the Lost Causer/States' Rights claims that the South was on the verge of abolishing slavery themselves? Seems to me like you wouldn't go to war over a thing you're about to get rid of anyway.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

WampaLord posted:

Literally happens all the time. That's why IVF uses like 5 embryos minimum when implanting.

This is not true at all.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Talmonis posted:

I stared into the abyss of a Donald Trump related CNN comment section, and leave it bewildered. What is the appeal of being a mean spirited rear end in a top hat? Worse, taking pride in being "un-PC", which really only translates to kicking people who are already down?

Secondly, where do they get this poo poo? It's not in the bible to be that way. It's not in children's programming. Hell, most media in general has some sort of "don't be a raging rear end in a top hat" vibe.

What you're seeing is old white people lashing out at a world that doesn't value them nearly as much as it used to. It's easier to accept being nice to folks when you've got a fat pension and two new cars in the garage, and it's hard to accept that the world doesn't think you deserve that anymore just because you're a fat, fundamentalist middle manager.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Is there any truth to the Lost Causer/States' Rights claims that the South was on the verge of abolishing slavery themselves? Seems to me like you wouldn't go to war over a thing you're about to get rid of anyway.

no not a bit

they would have had to abolish slavery anyway at some point because if the cotton economy collapsed there would have been no economic justification for slaves, there were few places to sell slaves to in the late 19th century, so the easiest way to recoup losses would be to 'liquidate' and sell the slaves their freedom eventually and move to sharecropping, aka privatized contract slavery

but since the abolishment of slavery was specifically illegal in the csa constitution this would have been a crazy constitutional crisis, the pro-slavery legalist hardliners against the reluctantly anti-slavery planters who are looking to divest themselves from a bare minimum human upkeep on a population of slaves who they can't turn an appreciable profit from

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

What a racist, sexist opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

The idea behind this is based on historical hindsight: the industrial revolution would have changed up economics and manufacturing so much that slavery would no longer have been a feasible backbone for the Southern economy and they would have had to either adapt or collapse.

It's also largely BS, as the Southeners only ever had plans to expand slavery at the time.

• Locked thread