Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

KoB posted:

If you made a giant robot and then decided "Im going to call these 'dolls'" then you are bad and dumb.

I guess you haven't heard of the army tradition of nicknaming your rifle with a female name. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Armored exoSKELetons. I'm fine with Skell and Skelleton crew.

Rexroom posted:

I guess you haven't heard of the army tradition of nicknaming your rifle with a female name. :v:

You can rename each of your Skels, so if you want to call your giant robot "Sally Skell" go right ahead.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The only correct name for your Skell is Metal Face.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Louisgod posted:

I don't want to give my mecha your girlfriend's nickname. :mad:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KoB posted:

If you made a giant robot and then decided "Im going to call these 'dolls'" then you are bad and dumb.

Well like someone pointed out, Dolls is not an exclusive thing to the Japanese version of Xenoblade X. It is a common term in giant mech anime.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Rexroom posted:

I don't want to give my mecha your girlfriend's nickname. :mad:

First, it's Skell, second, your mom didn't tell me her nickname.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

KoB posted:

actually engrish (wasei-eigo in the superior nipponese) is cool and good, much like the anime of which it is an essential part

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"Well, it's called a skell. But in the untranslated Japanese version of the game, it's referred to with the Japanese word for 'doll'. So I call them dolls. *sighs* It's not just me, it's actually a common term in giant mech anime."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it is bizarre to change it from one engrish monstrosity to another though. just leave it at dolls if your plan is to change it to skells or whatever the gently caress

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What's a doll like you doing on an alien planet likes this?

I can almost see a point because "skelleton crew" is almost too cool of a translation for the game to still register as too-anime.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Louisgod posted:

excuse me but in the pure and original japanese script as intended by the writers he is called black face

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zedprime posted:

What's a doll like you doing on an alien planet likes this?

I can almost see a point because "skelleton crew" is almost too cool of a translation for the game to still register as too-anime.

no such thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

"Well, it's called a skell. But in the untranslated Japanese version of the game, it's referred to with the Japanese word for 'doll'. So I call them dolls. *sighs* It's not just me, it's actually a common term in giant mech anime."

I've never cared about this dumb pissing match, but they use the English "Doll" in the JP version.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Motto posted:

I've never cared about this dumb pissing match, but they use the English "Doll" in the JP version.

And in the game we're all about to play, they don't!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Levantine posted:

And in the game we're all about to play, they don't!

They still do in the music lyrics

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

it is bizarre to change it from one engrish monstrosity to another though. just leave it at dolls if your plan is to change it to skells or whatever the gently caress

"Skells" is almost certainly a change because of the "dolls sounds girly" response people tend to have.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Motto posted:

Wait so in the original Japanese, they use a word from another language? Wouldn't it then not be true to the original to use an English word in the English translation?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

who cares

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Man I sure am glad that I have Saturday off so that I can play this game and not read this terrible loving argument!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Wait so in the original Japanese, they use a word from another language? Wouldn't it then not be true to the original to use an English word in the English translation?

they should translate it to italian IMO

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Off-brand Wonder mask, anyone?

I'll probably go with color coded power ranger skells anyway, so why not.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hahaha what the gently caress NoE? The UK launch trailer is basically FILLED with giant spoilers. Including a massive end-game reveal. If you don't want to spoil the plot for yourself, stay the hell away from it.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've got this giant monstrosity downloaded to a usb drive, anyone have experience running digital games from a usb drive? Does it work okay or should I risk the ire of my wife and transfer xenoblade to the wii u Hd and move everything else off to the usb?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress NoE? The UK launch trailer is basically FILLED with giant spoilers. Including a massive end-game reveal. If you don't want to spoil the plot for yourself, stay the hell away from it.

I'll stay away from this thread for a while then since the last time spoilers came up in the other thread people started discussing them for a page until someone quoted and forgot to re-tag.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
My gamepad is currently in Nintendo's possession for repairs. I do not believe I will have it until late next week at the earliest. I have a Pro Controller, though.

Will I be able to play this on Friday? And if so, will I be missing any important features?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I trust the translation I also trust that something like changing Dolls to Skell was probably a committee decision made by marketing. It's not like the translators get to just make poo poo up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tequila Bob posted:

My gamepad is currently in Nintendo's possession for repairs. I do not believe I will have it until late next week at the earliest. I have a Pro Controller, though.

Will I be able to play this on Friday? And if so, will I be missing any important features?

You need the gamepad in order to fast travel and, more importantly, to place data probes. You won't be able to progress past a fairly early mission without a gamepad, I'm afraid, as it's a tutorial for setting those up. You can probably still play and explore around, but your progress will be severely limited.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently the UK launch trailer is full of spoilers, I suggest not watching it, or at least the very ending part.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Infinity Gaia posted:

Haven't you noticed basically every game is doing that now? Even some big release movies. Terminator has always revealed any plot twist in the movie trailer.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is this game getting a limited release like the first one, or could I buy it used for $20 in 6 months?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pain of Mind posted:

Is this game getting a limited release like the first one, or could I buy it used for $20 in 6 months?

I dont think its going to be another game stop monolopy on the game this time where the price shoots up to over 100 for a plastic wrapped game.

Oh cool xenoblade chronicles the best jrpg, you have to have a wii and pay gamestop your first born child.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
It's a great trailer if you already know the gist of the story.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm expecting them to announce an HD release of the first xenoblade for the NX so you can finally get a copy of the game that doesn't look like muddy blurry crap. I mean they're fixing the textures in Twilight Princess and that was the blurriest textured game for quite some time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still not shipped, not looking good for getting it Friday. :(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Last Christmas I accidentally bought a year of Amazon Prime so I'm sorted :)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm probably gonna have to wait an extra day so I can pay for it, but Amazon prime has my back

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm expecting them to announce an HD release of the first xenoblade for the NX so you can finally get a copy of the game that doesn't look like muddy blurry crap. I mean they're fixing the textures in Twilight Princess and that was the blurriest textured game for quite some time.

I wish Nintendo had just did this for Wii U so they can publish the game in North America. Gamestop still has exclusive rights to the American release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

There's no such thing as limited releases anymore. You will always be able to buy this game, if nothing else on the eshop. Nintendo games don't drop in price ever even in retail though. There are launch WIi U games that are still $50.

• Locked thread