Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Last episode specifically Meg is listening to the audio tour say that on October 14th of the departure there was an earthquake that wasn't caused by fracking, but by an explosion in the city's sewage system. Given the way all clues fit so far, it would be sort of a weird coincidence that:

1- Meg listens to an audio tape about an explosion in the sewage system creating an earthquake on the very day of the departure,
2- Meg is rumored to have obtained C4
3- Meg fakes a departure
4- But the earthquake is unrelated, despite happening on the same day as 3

It's not a ridiculous theory, although I would point out that your first point by its very nature shows that they have a way to determine what is causing the earthquakes, which is how they knew the one on October 14th wasn't due to fracking.

There is also the idea of motivation, as in why stage an earthquake along with a departure? Just for the added biblical flair? It seems like it could easily give them away if someone discovered the c4 explosion.

You're probably right, but there are a few things that need to be straightened out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Last episode specifically Meg is listening to the audio tour say that on October 14th of the departure there was an earthquake that wasn't caused by fracking, but by an explosion in the city's sewage system. Given the way all clues fit so far, it would be sort of a weird coincidence that:

1- Meg listens to an audio tape about an explosion in the sewage system creating an earthquake on the very day of the departure,
2- Meg is rumored to have obtained C4
3- Meg fakes a departure
4- But the earthquake is unrelated, despite happening on the same day as 3

If the earthquake and the departure are linked in Miracle's townspeople's minds then I guess it would help sell a departure as opposed to three annoyed teenagers running away from their exceptionalist town where they're basically museum exhibits on display. If you're gonna play up the mysterious nature, the lake going poof certainly helped it seem supernatural. I just thought the C4 was a red herring...then again who knows :lost:, we won't know until next week and that's so so far away!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

I am guessing that the girls will hang themselves from the bridge. That would tie it nicely into Kevin's visionquest encounter with the guy on the bridge and his offer of a noose.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking will happen

Again I hope this is the last we hear of the GR, I think that this season's increase in quality is somehow connected to the GR not being a prominent part of it so the writers should just keep going with that from now on

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah this is what I'm thinking will happen

Again I hope this is the last we hear of the GR, I think that this season's increase in quality is somehow connected to the GR not being a prominent part of it so the writers should just keep going with that from now on

I disagree about the GR not being prominent, they were the central focus of 2 episodes, heavily referenced in Kev's vision quest, and their former leader was constantly talking to Kevin. Unless you mean large portions of almost every episode being communicated through notepad, because yea I am glad that poo poo has gone away forever.

I love (to hate) the GR, but I do think after their previous thing with the real dolls that people would just refuse to tolerate their poo poo anymore. Like after rewatching last seasons finale I thought anything involving the GR would be a massive anti-GR movement hunting them down and shutting down anything they tried to accomplish, instead of things basically going back to how they were at the beginning of last season.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I disagree about the GR not being prominent, they were the central focus of 2 episodes, heavily referenced in Kev's vision quest, and their former leader was constantly talking to Kevin. Unless you mean large portions of almost every episode being communicated through notepad, because yea I am glad that poo poo has gone away forever.

I love (to hate) the GR, but I do think after their previous thing with the real dolls that people would just refuse to tolerate their poo poo anymore. Like after rewatching last seasons finale I thought anything involving the GR would be a massive anti-GR movement hunting them down and shutting down anything they tried to accomplish, instead of things basically going back to how they were at the beginning of last season.

Yeah this. Quiet scenes with emotional Sharpie scribbling is bang-my-loving-head-against-a-wall annoying, smug actors smoking cigarettes and crossing their arms are annoying, Liv Tyler is annoying

Head Patti has been one of the best parts about this season

Like you I'd hoped that the GR would have been relegated to "hunted down by over-zealous ATFC agents" status, that could have been fun to watch, while a new cult took their place

I guess I got half of what I expected, but GR Trolling storylines don't interest me

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Was Patti the creator and leader of the GR, or just the head of the Mapleton group?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Was Patti the creator and leader of the GR, or just the head of the Mapleton group?

I'm not sure if we've ever gotten a concrete answer regarding this, but the "power of silence" remark she makes in the Jeopardy monologue makes me think she was instrumental in the forming of the GR's main tenets.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Just the Mapleton chapter. I think there were a few instances of her communicating up the chain of command last season when they were planning their doll stunt.

I guess I was alone in never having a problem with the Sharpie-scribbling, finger-snapping scenes in season 1. I thought it was an effective way to put you into the GR's world, and Amy Brenneman and Ann Dowd both acted the hell out of their scenes without speaking.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I guess I was alone in never having a problem with the Sharpie-scribbling, finger-snapping scenes in season 1. I thought it was an effective way to put you into the GR's world, and Amy Brenneman and Ann Dowd both acted the hell out of their scenes without speaking.

:hfive: Sup fellow GR sympathizer? Clearly we're in the minority of Leftover fans who actually enjoyed the scribble scribble, glance, scribble scribble, lifts up notepad moments.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

I also liked it. I like everything about this show. Except Tommy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I liked it. They did some really excellently tense scenes while you were waiting to see exactly what they were writing and then watching other characters read and understand. But I can understand people not liking it, and I don't think it is something they need to do to such an extent that they did last year.

I'm still more blown away that the concept of the GR was still allowed to exist after pissing pretty much everyone in the world off last season. And in pretty much the exact same manner too, with no real changes to how they operate or how people react to them. Like a few weeks after they caused what had to have been nationwide riots and attacks, they were back to business as usual? And nobody except Laurie was trying to go after them?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
As much as I think this season is awesome, I do think the writers are trying to have their cake and eat it too with the move to Texas, but still bringing along virtually the entire original cast. Like, Matt being there works, because he is what inspired Nora to want to move there and bring the Garveys. Patti is in Kevin's head so that works. But Meg showing up feels very convoluted. It doesn't taint the season at all for me, but if you're going to do something like move the show across the country you can only bring so many characters with you before it gets ridiculous.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AndyElusive posted:

:hfive: Sup fellow GR sympathizer? Clearly we're in the minority of Leftover fans who actually enjoyed the scribble scribble, glance, scribble scribble, lifts up notepad moments.

I liked it as, y'know, a thing they did, and how there were a few scenes just comprised of that, but I feel that now, we get it and don't need anymore of them.

EDIT:

Tomahawk posted:

As much as I think this season is awesome, I do think the writers are trying to have their cake and eat it too with the move to Texas, but still bringing along virtually the entire original cast. Like, Matt being there works, because he is what inspired Nora to want to move there and bring the Garveys. Patti is in Kevin's head so that works. But Meg showing up feels very convoluted. It doesn't taint the season at all for me, but if you're going to do something like move the show across the country you can only bring so many characters with you before it gets ridiculous.

I get what you mean, but think about all of the people they left back home. Jill's friend, the mayor, Kevin's dad (for the most part, though he moved, himself), the weird dog guy, the twins. Even Laurie and for a while, Tommy. Meg went to Miracle because of her past visit and how it really is a national park. Matt went there for similar reasons, and as you said, Matt brings the Garveys and Nora.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 2, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
What if Dog Killer guy replaces Patti as Kevin's head friend now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

What if Dog Killer guy replaces Patti as Kevin's head friend now.

Then the show would somehow get better then it already has :psyduck:

Spoilers for 12 Monkeys The actor was a background character on that show who was unceremoniously killed, I still wonder if he's attached to the show and will be more important later, because Time Travel and all, but I would be amazing for him to come back and drink some beer with Kevin as they shot sum dawgs

I'm fully expecting that Kevin will have a new Head Friend in the final scene of the season.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

I think they pretty much address this via Meg's talk with Matt this week. Anywhere else and it would have been a coincidence. In Miracle it makes sense that there would be a congregation of people deeply hosed up one way or the other by the departure. And perhaps Meg may make the most sense of all. She wasn't affected by the departure directly, she was affected by people grieving for the departed and not giving a gently caress about her. So it makes sense that 1- she'd try to go somewhere where people wouldn't be grieving about the departure, 2- she'd be pissed off about the people there thinking they are special and not giving a gently caress about her, 3- she'd try to stick it to them.

Of course, there are still some other unexplained coincidences, like the Garveys moving next to precisely the one girl who was going to fake her disappearance, or that happening right as the whole burying the bird thing happens. But those are precisely the point, in that they can be supernatural or just incredible coincidences, and the goal is to let that remain ambiguous.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
The scene where Meg chucks the grenade on the school bus, was it a dud grenade and she was just trying to terrify them? I really don't think she'd still be alive if she was actually blowing up kids.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Beep Street posted:

The scene where Meg chucks the grenade on the school bus, was it a dud grenade and she was just trying to terrify them? I really don't think she'd still be alive if she was actually blowing up kids.

It was a dud, but despite that, Meg and her followers still shouldn't be alive because the ATFC is literally insane and would burst in guns blazing

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beep Street posted:

She was just loving with them, otherwise why remove the driver? An adult in a situation like that might be able to control the chaos, but not without.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Then the show would somehow get better then it already has :psyduck:

Spoilers for 12 Monkeys The actor was a background character on that show who was unceremoniously killed, I still wonder if he's attached to the show and will be more important later, because Time Travel and all, but I would be amazing for him to come back and drink some beer with Kevin as they shot sum dawgs

I'm fully expecting that Kevin will have a new Head Friend in the final scene of the season.

He was a sort of significant side character on The Man in The High Castle as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Le Saboteur posted:

He was a sort of significant side character on The Man in The High Castle as well.

Oh man I need to watch that still, it is my favorite PKD novel

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh man I need to watch that still, it is my favorite PKD novel

Don't get your hopes up, despite having a 96% RT rating it's pretty network-y

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

It was a dud, but despite that, Meg and her followers still shouldn't be alive because the ATFC is literally insane and would burst in guns blazing

To be fair, they do seem to drop some hints that the GR are further underground than before. In season one they were buying churches and massive complexes and painting them all white. In this episode Meg's meeting with the GR leadership is in some abandoned building, and Meg's own group seem to occupy a nondescript garage or warehouse.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, that's fair. Hopefully by next season it will be unmarked graves.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Beep Street posted:

Dud, it's apparently a common GR tactic (Remember, Nora bumped into some GR in the middle of NYC last season who pulled the pin on a dummy grenade that said "ANY DAY NOW" and passed it off to her.)

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm still more blown away that the concept of the GR was still allowed to exist after pissing pretty much everyone in the world off last season. And in pretty much the exact same manner too, with no real changes to how they operate or how people react to them. Like a few weeks after they caused what had to have been nationwide riots and attacks, they were back to business as usual? And nobody except Laurie was trying to go after them?

Maybe that stunt was just localized to the Mapleton's branch? I do wish at some point we'd been given a closer look at all the movements that sprang up in the wake of the Great Departure - if it's big enough to add a C to the ATFE in just three years, I want to know what other new religions have taken hold. We've seen the GR and Holy Wayne firsthand. While there's plenty going on outside the gates of Miracle, we've really only seen it broadly, on the edges.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Maybe that stunt was just localized to the Mapleton's branch? I do wish at some point we'd been given a closer look at all the movements that sprang up in the wake of the Great Departure - if it's big enough to add a C to the ATFE in just three years, I want to know what other new religions have taken hold. We've seen the GR and Holy Wayne firsthand. While there's plenty going on outside the gates of Miracle, we've really only seen it broadly, on the edges.
Last season there were the Target-on-head barefoot folks and Holy Wayne and his magic hugs of course. I can't remember any others but there were probably some quickly made up cults in the episode where Nora goes to that convention. You could argue that Jarden itself is a town as a cult, their belief that they are exceptional with their songs and chants about being The Spared, the wierd rituals like the lady in her wedding dress and goat slaughter man. John's probably been shutting down miracle peddlers non stop since he got out of jail.

joepinetree posted:

To be fair, they do seem to drop some hints that the GR are further underground than before. In season one they were buying churches and massive complexes and painting them all white. In this episode Meg's meeting with the GR leadership is in some abandoned building, and Meg's own group seem to occupy a nondescript garage or warehouse.
Yeah when Tommy went under it was all large industrial space looking places, no repurposed houses and the cops didn't care in the slightest when Kevin brought in Patti's corpse. It was bad enough when Gladys died and they wanted no investigation but this was like "how dare you bring this to us? don't waste our time. GR aren't even worthy of life".
You can probably get away with murder so long as you dress the victim in all white.

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, that's fair. Hopefully by next season it will be unmarked graves.
CATF has industrial furnaces for cult member bodies. Gladys went there.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 2, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

n3wt posted:

CATF has industrial furnaces for cult member bodies. Gladys went there.

Oh right, even better

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Binged through this show over the past week. Pretty fantastic all around. Can't wait for the insanity Sunday.

What is the theory on how the manholes both blew open in both towns? Both seemingly from gas explosions?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Tom Perotta and Damon Lindelof were on Fresh Air on NPR today and it was a really good interview. They played Kevin reading from the book of Job from season 1 and I totally forgot that scene and it's just so beautiful to listen to.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Le Saboteur posted:

Tom Perotta and Damon Lindelof were on Fresh Air on NPR today and it was a really good interview. They played Kevin reading from the book of Job from season 1 and I totally forgot that scene and it's just so beautiful to listen to.

Just rewatched that scene, Theroux is loving incredible. Might be the best troubled/breaking down face actor of all time?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

His face is very expressive in a way you don't see very often, it's pretty impressive.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

His eyebrows are extremely flexible.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This is your reminder that Parks and Recreation had Justin Theroux as a recurring character for literally a half season and made him come across as blander than unsweetened oatmeal

it's important to juxtapose that with here where he's unreal good

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

This is your reminder that Parks and Recreation had Justin Theroux as a recurring character for literally a half season and made him come across as blander than unsweetened oatmeal

it's important to juxtapose that with here where he's unreal good
Apparently writing and direction matter. Or he just didn't give a poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I thought he did a good job in Six Feet Under as the temporary Nate replacement for Brenda.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

He's also really good in the two David Lynch films he's appeared in so far; Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So basically don't put him in a comedy because he sucked in Wanderlust too.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Is it Sunday yet? :ohdear:

I don't know anyone else who watches this show so I don't have anyone to talk to about it, but it's so good. After the International Assassin episode I was just floored, and then the end of last week's... :pusheen:

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

JethroMcB posted:

Dud, it's apparently a common GR tactic (Remember, Nora bumped into some GR in the middle of NYC last season who pulled the pin on a dummy grenade that said "ANY DAY NOW" and passed it off to her.)

I forgot about that scene. In hindsight I do wish I watched Series 1 again before Series 2 began.

I totally knew GR would have the girls the moment I saw Meg talking to Evie. I sid assume GR had kidnapped them rather than the girls signing up so it was still a shocker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Tomahawk posted:

I realize this probably won't happen, but I've had the idea for a bit now: imagine if the opening from season one returns for the last episode of season two. Obviously the credits would have to be updated for the current cast. It would work well too since each opening is supposed to fit the town of the season (and I guess mood of the season). The season two opening seems more upbeat and less dramatic, though under the surface and the more you stare at it the more messed up and chilling it seems (particularly the visuals). However, now Miracle has either gone to hell or is about to--plus the point I was referring to about all the major living Mapleton characters having converged on Miracle--so the season one opening with its Sturm und Drang fits perfectly. Mapleton has fully come to Miracle, and that's the whole point.

Professor Shark posted:

That's true in that that's what was probably about to happen, and Meg knows this. Did you notice how right after that (and the...dog thing) Meg and many of her supporters relocated across the country, started dressing like normal people, and killed a guy for discovering them? She's turning her part of the GR from this unique, majestic thing with some but not all aspects of a terrorist group that Patti created into pretty much a regular terrorist group. The episode did a good job of showing how bad Meg is at being a GR member (and maybe leader, but that's another story): she doesn't write instead of talking once, I'm pretty sure, and I think she might not have even smoked once either. (Not sure there). Of course, the next episode could reverse that because it will reveal what she's actually planned, which could be either violence or a return to more traditional, inspired GR trolling.

Potpourri:

I think Patti founded the entire Guilty Remnant. They probably didn't and don't have one central leader though. The riots at the end of season one were just in Mapleton.

The ATFEC lady's eyepatch in season 2 episode 2 and the reason for it are a metaphor or reference to the departure. She draws attention to it and asks if Kevin wants to know; Kevin pointedly doesn't ask; and the audience is never given an explanation for it.

The instrumental version of "Where Is My Mind?" is played overlaid like most TV music, not diegetically. However, I'm pretty sure the actual original song version of "Where Is My Mind?" is always being played diegetically because Kevin is listening to it. A lot, both in the truck and on earphones. I will concede that you either get different playthroughs of it strung together into one or it's a hybrid of overlay and diegetic playing, a technique used in the Matt episode of season one. Anyway, the point is that this is what Kevin is actually listening to, quite a bit.

I hope there's another season. I wish it were a foregone conclusion, but it's not. It is a good sign that HBO is referring to the next episode as just the "season finale." I've been thinking for a while that if there's a good side to HBO cancelling its planned Utopia remake, it's that it makes The Leftovers more likely to survive. As for what may happen in potential future seasons, beyond the Australia hints, I bet the GR does well in prisons.

• Locked thread