Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

They dont ship to Canada so it's a no go. The same things go for about $170CDN on amazon.ca and I'm not doing that. That's ridiculous.

Edit: I also went to four or five IRL stores to find some trays for counters, and almost came up empty handed. I dunno what the gently caress, but some of my best options might have been at the dollar store. Only I would felt bad about throwing out all those screws and bolts and poo poo to use the trays they came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The General posted:

They dont ship to Canada so it's a no go. The same things go for about $170CDN on amazon.ca and I'm not doing that. That's ridiculous.

Edit: I also went to four or five IRL stores to find some trays for counters, and almost came up empty handed. I dunno what the gently caress, but some of my best options might have been at the dollar store. Only I would felt bad about throwing out all those screws and bolts and poo poo to use the trays they came in.

Can confirm that Oregon Laminations won't deliver to Canada. I had to ask a guy who was visiting during the summer to deliver one. You can try BGG if you don't mind trusting someone with $60.

As for storage, I go with Hozan stuff. They ship to Canada, but you'll want to get as many as possible to cut down on shipping. Occasionally, some of those find their way on Ebay and can be cheaper in total cost to get it to your doorstep.

http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hobpacadostn.html

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Tek I still wait gor you to clip the drat counters because I enjoy watching PTSD victims.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

Tek I still wait gor you to clip the drat counters because I enjoy watching PTSD victims.
You will have to suffer, like you made me suffer.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The General posted:

I really wish amazon.ca was useful instead of just third-party scum selling things for 3x-10x normal.

Did you try oregon laminations' website? I thought they ship to Canada from there, at least a bunch of BGG folk have gotten them in the past.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

1/5

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You fool! There is no turning back now! :ohdear:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can confirm that Oregon Laminations won't deliver to Canada. I had to ask a guy who was visiting during the summer to deliver one. You can try BGG if you don't mind trusting someone with $60.

As for storage, I go with Hozan stuff. They ship to Canada, but you'll want to get as many as possible to cut down on shipping. Occasionally, some of those find their way on Ebay and can be cheaper in total cost to get it to your doorstep.

http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hobpacadostn.html

$40?? That seems a bit spendy, maybe.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

You fool! There is no turning back now! :ohdear:

Also, it's loving amazing how quickly I check the thread after someone mentions the "F" game.

It has warped my mind. It calls to me. It's evil. :tinfoil:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

rchandra posted:

I really wish amazon.ca was useful instead of just third-party scum selling things for 3x-10x normal.

Did you try oregon laminations' website? I thought they ship to Canada from there, at least a bunch of BGG folk have gotten them in the past.

Whelp. Looks like it might be happening again. 2.5mm, 3mm? 5mm(!)?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, it's loving amazing how quickly I check the thread after someone mentions the "F" game.

It has warped my mind. It calls to me. It's evil. :tinfoil:

The wargame to end all wargames.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks to this thread I've got Combat Commander: Europe coming in on Friday. What should I know before I try to play this bad boy?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Impermanent posted:

Thanks to this thread I've got Combat Commander: Europe coming in on Friday. What should I know before I try to play this bad boy?

Me too! Along with Wing Leader and the most current Battletech intro box. (I've bought so many btech things through the years that I never play.)

:retrogames:

This is what happens when you go on CSI in the wee hours after being up all night with a sick baby.

Also Force and Destiny, but that's not a wargame.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Impermanent posted:

This was quite helpful for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYh8_0fCmQE

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Impermanent posted:

Near the end of the play book are some design notes that really give some good tips on how the game is played. I'd say the two most important factors for me starting out were fire power management and deck/time management. Generally on defense you want to get a "time" event drawn as much as possible which means both players rolling as many dice as possible (which are through card draws). So the attacker should pay more attention to the rules on how to stack as many units together to make one big fire power roll and the defender on the rules to get as many different units shooting at different targets through one order.

Also leaders bonus only effects units in the same hex and the bonuses stack with other leaders in the hex, but a leader cannot activate another leader. Also a hero can be activated multiple times per round. I think those were the things we looked up the most often the first couple times playing.

I also got wing leader on the GMT 50 off sale. I've only done the intro mission but I liked the system, seemed very easy to pick up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

$40?? That seems a bit spendy, maybe.

Well, 40$ is their largest storage unit, if I remember correctly. Its fully modular so its pretty easy to sort an OOB. For ASL it works perfectly for me, gets me an entire nation per box.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't think it's all that spendy. I went out and looked hard for counter trays. 3 hours (I misread my map. Took longer than expected.) All the good boxes have stuff in them. The dollar store had some decent ones, but I couldn't just throw out the screws and stuff. Same problem everywhere else too. All the good boxes are full of stuff.

I spent $20 on six modular ones that are sadly half the size they need to be. And they don't fit in the box. 4 of them do. But not all six. Space Empires if it matters.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Wake Fishing lure boxes have done well for me (found them at walmart.ca but haven't seen them online recently - maybe in person?), 5 of the small ones work pretty well for Space Empires 4X and almost but not quite let the box fully close (without the board, or maybe even just the papers, it would). One per player for their ships, one shared for number/colony/misc counters. I also use them for random other games, like Netrunner tokens. I imagine other useful fishing boxes exist. Their larger sizes are sometimes better than GMT/Chessex trays for large/odd counters like Ogre DE or Titan.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The General posted:

And they don't fit in the box.

This is the real issue for me. I've got a bunch of board games now with random tackle box solutions that don't fit in the box and it looks retarded on my shelf and it's hard to see what's what at a glance unless I get aggressive with labels or something.

For my games with lots of chits, I don't see any way to avoid going to little baggies if I want them to fit in the box, I guess.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think they'd fit in the boxes if I didn't have two complete sets of counters. I can't bring myself to get rid of the old counters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

880 counters done :q:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

880 counters done :q:

YOU CAN'T KEEP CLIPPING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Tek - you up for something in December? I have finally punched (and clipped, according to your definitions), BTR, and again have an EOTS sized itch. I'm particularly lookign forward to playing as the Japs this time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The USE itch is hitting me again. Here's hoping I can trade this unpunched copy of A World At War 2nd edition for it, because gently caress if I'm ever getting that to the table.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My clippers shipped but they didn't charge me? We'll see how this goes.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

The USE itch is hitting me again. Here's hoping I can trade this unpunched copy of A World At War 2nd edition for it, because gently caress if I'm ever getting that to the table.

USE?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Unconditional Surrender Europe.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Quick, possibly stupid question about Fire in the Lake: there are three Tunnel counters, but only one of them is ever used in the setups and I don't see any cards that allow you to replace them. Are they just spares, or am I missing something?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Quick, possibly stupid question about Fire in the Lake: there are three Tunnel counters, but only one of them is ever used in the setups and I don't see any cards that allow you to replace them. Are they just spares, or am I missing something?
There are event cards that allow you to place tunnels iirc. They are pretty rare though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

Tek - you up for something in December? I have finally punched (and clipped, according to your definitions), BTR, and again have an EOTS sized itch. I'm particularly lookign forward to playing as the Japs this time.
If you are free between the 19th and 23rd, yes, I am free then. I do want to play eots as the allies. Also, I'm gonna do my first game of fof tomorrow :q:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

But why are you smiling?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

But why are you smiling?
There will be blood.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

If you are free between the 19th and 23rd, yes, I am free then. I do want to play eots as the allies. Also, I'm gonna do my first game of fof tomorrow :q:

Forgive this man, Lord, he knows not what he does

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Admit it, you're getting the itch to buy it again and pop some good times in Vietnam.

I mean, between those OP radios and assault choppers, what could go wrong?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i own fire in the lake now and i hope i get to play through it this weekend

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Admit it, you're getting the itch to buy it again and pop some good times in Vietnam.

I mean, between those OP radios and assault choppers, what could go wrong?

I can quit any time I want!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

I can quit any time I want!

Can you not just play it on VASSAL or something every time you get the itch to remind yourself of why you hate this game

Like when I have a Pot Noodle every now and again to remind myself why I don't buy Pot Noodles more often

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's just not the same experience without having to shuffle cards every two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

It's just not the same experience without having to shuffle cards every two minutes.

And don't forget the long stretches of "did I... did I do... uh... what did I do with that guy?... was he supposed to be exposed? poo poo... hm... where did this litter team come from? was this fire team from 1/3rd or 2/3rd?"