Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jiro posted:

I've been looking at the boxed D&D sets lately. Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardon, Drizzt, and Elemental Evils. And if I am reading them correctly their main mechanic is dungeon building yes? So it would play like a more complicated Betrayal at House on the Hill? Has anyone plunked down money for any of these? I see that there's an adventure book so am I right in assuming there are different scenarios and objectives that can be played in new games? My friends and I really enjoy the flexibility of the making a whole dungeon through tile system. Also same question for Mansions of Madness.

I've got two of them (Ashardalon and Drizzt) and yes you do draw tiles to add to the dungeon in a way that is superficially similar to Betrayal At House On The Hill, but every tile you draw spawns a monster (and sometimes an event) that immediately wants to ruin your day. Monsters are controlled by AI cards (different for each monster, some monsters just chase you down to attack, some monsters hang back and affect you from afar, some monsters specifically go for the weakest hero, some monsters teleport, some monsters even try to expand the dungeon on their own, etc). There are different objectives and scenarios, yes, although a fair few of them feel very similar, mostly differing in which boss you get to fight. They scale pretty well to different player counts, and they avoid the mistake most "dungeon-crawly" games do, which is trying to capture the feel of a full-fledged tabletop RPG. They're about getting through the dungeon as fast as possible while killing monsters as efficiently as you can and using your limited resources (daily powers, utility powers, items, healing surges) efficiently. Someone else called them "Fantasy SWAT Team Simulators" and that's what they feel like. It's honestly the only dungeon crawler board game I can tolerate.

Negatives are: Pretty bog standard d20 dice combat with a pretty high luck factor (although once you do hit, damage is non-random, thank God, and most of your big daily powers will deal damage even on a miss so they don't feel completely wasted), will probably feel repetitive for groups that are used to more involved games (although the randomized dungeon layout and the pretty good variety of heroes and abilities helps some)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

My goodness, you mean the man who is best known for Apples to Apples: Hitler is also going to make a mess of The Resistance: Hitler?
It's difficult to believe, I know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I do like that they managed to mail feces to people though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I do like that they managed to mail feces to people though.
They mailed poo poo to people even before that black friday stunt.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

You always hear about cargo cult deck builders in this thread, Is Secret Hitler the cargo cult Resistance we've (not) been waiting for?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
My impression of Eldritch Horror from the few times I tried it are that it is really fun.....until it isn't. The last time I tried we basically stood waiting on doing the same dice rolls and failing, round after round. Nothing we could really do other than that. Then we lost, because of an extreme run of unlucky dice.

Still considering picking it up for how much fun it was, when it was fun. Should I give it a chance?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I still have nightmares about facing 'The Band' (ie a adventurer part with 4 bards :gonk:)

One of my favorite Dungeon Lord moments is when we were playing with the items mini-expansion and I ended up with a party of 4 bards along with the bard items from everyone else.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

lordsummerisle posted:

My impression of Eldritch Horror from the few times I tried it are that it is really fun.....until it isn't. The last time I tried we basically stood waiting on doing the same dice rolls and failing, round after round. Nothing we could really do other than that. Then we lost, because of an extreme run of unlucky dice.

Still considering picking it up for how much fun it was, when it was fun. Should I give it a chance?

I enjoy it for what it is but I also actually enjoy stuff like Elder Sign since sometimes i just want to throw dice around (They are the only games I have that include dice). There's an app you can get called Eldritch Companion that can handle all the event decks except mythos, so it can help with setup time reduction, and it can be customized based off what expansions you play with.

My suggestion is if the game is hopeless just end it and move on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

lordsummerisle posted:

It's one of those games that is fairly mechanically simple, but enjoyable from the events that spawn from it. I got it as a gift from a friend, and even though those lovely situations crop up, we still have fun with it. If you're on the fence about it like this, I'd wait for a sale or something.

Also, never play with an odd amount of investigators. It's frustrating as poo poo when you realize that you draw just as many monsters and gates and poo poo, and almost all the challenges are "number of investigators divided by two (rounded up)", but you still have one less person accomplishing goals and stuff so it's still tougher.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

This must have made the rounds at some point because it's four years old at this point, how have I not seen this until now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weO-3cWqV0A

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Durendal posted:

What are talking about? Firefly is a good gahahaha

Thanks for getting my hopes up about this everyone, my boss was just telling me today how he's expensively imported this and he's looking forwards to playing it...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Scyther posted:

This must have made the rounds at some point because it's four years old at this point, how have I not seen this until now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weO-3cWqV0A
These are some pretty good tips for beginners, I recommend this video.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What's the verdict on Lost Valley? It's just coming back into stock around me after being gone for a while and I like the sound of the mechanics and the theme of it. Any good for two players?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

House Louse posted:

Thanks for getting my hopes up about this everyone, my boss was just telling me today how he's expensively imported this and he's looking forwards to playing it...

I apologize in advance for his loss.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Splizwarf posted:

Other games that I'd like to know more about :

Dark Moon

Legendary Encounters: Aliens

Through The Ages

Among The Stars

Dark Moon is a middleweight traitor game. The more I play it the less I compare it to BSG, since your goals as infected are pretty different. It's a lot less finicky than BSG, but it does trade some depth for it. My group really enjoys it and have pulled off some really surprising plays. I have a few posts in this thread about it, if you want a positive opinion.

Legendary Encounters: Alien fixes a lot of the stuff that sucks about Legendary. It's pure co-op, with an optional traitor. You're basically playing through the events of a given Alien movie, or a mix, and using characters from them to generate offense and resources for new cards, and trying to build a deck that can handle the relevant threats. The game is tense, thematic, and works well from 1-5. I'm a big fan of this one.

Through the Ages is really good, as well. It's a really smooth civilization builder. There's a new edition coming our soon, which apparently cleans up some rough edges. I'd wait for that, personally.

Among the Stars is a really nice drafting game, sort of a spacial 7 Wonders. You're building out a space station and trying to accumulate the most points via card synergy. I really enjoyed this, but the expansions made it a bit of a pain in the rear end go set up, since you have to pick your locations for the deck instead of just adding the random special locations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The General posted:

Andrew Parks also did Ideology which is fantastic.

Wait, what? Are we talking about the Ideology game where you are Capitalism or whatever? What do you think is fantastic about that game? I thought it was super-political and (in your own deck and in the countries that come up) unpleasantly chance-focused.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

This sounds good, trying it online right now. Other games that I'd like to know more about :

Lewis & Clark: The Expedition

Lewis and Clark is a pretty cool race game that mixes in all sorts of other poo poo: deck building/tableau management, worker placement, resource management, etc. It has a degenerate strategy that has been errata'd away, and can have a real obvious runaway leader aspect due to the race element. Plays best at 3, 2 loses some catch up mechanics and 4 takes too drat long. It's a solid if not exceptional game, I got it for 20 bucks and am happy with it at that price.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the verdict on Lost Valley? It's just coming back into stock around me after being gone for a while and I like the sound of the mechanics and the theme of it. Any good for two players?

It's a very good game, but I'm not sure about how good it is for 2.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Huge fan of auction mechanics, but don't have an actual auction game (well, i guess keyflower counts). Saw The Speicherstadt mentioned in the thread not too long ago and that's what i'm going for, anything else to consider?

I know Ra is also popular but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Priests of Ra is, but I heard this is just... worse?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

lordsummerisle posted:

We had something similar when we first played, but our real problem was that we were diving too early into various challenges. We weren't unlucky so much as waiting to BE lucky, ending up sitting on an encounter waiting to roll a couple successes on only 3 or 4 dice for example.

Arkham Horror had clue tokens you could use to mitigate luck by using them for rerolls. Eldritch Horror also has clue tokens that can be used in the same way - but clues are far more precious in EH (they are fewer, and are needed for mysteries) so they can't usually be spared to get rerolls.

My take on it is that EH expects you to spend some time 'buffing up' via skill improvements before you dive in. Once we did that we did much better.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Nique posted:

Huge fan of auction mechanics, but don't have an actual auction game (well, i guess keyflower counts). Saw The Speicherstadt mentioned in the thread not too long ago and that's what i'm going for, anything else to consider?

I know Ra is also popular but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Priests of Ra is, but I heard this is just... worse?

For pure auction, Ra or Modern Art do it for me. Unfortunately I think MA is also OOP...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nique posted:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jiro posted:

I've been looking at the boxed D&D sets lately. Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardon, Drizzt, and Elemental Evils. And if I am reading them correctly their main mechanic is dungeon building yes? So it would play like a more complicated Betrayal at House on the Hill? Has anyone plunked down money for any of these? I see that there's an adventure book so am I right in assuming there are different scenarios and objectives that can be played in new games? My friends and I really enjoy the flexibility of the making a whole dungeon through tile system. Also same question for Mansions of Madness.

I grabbed the ToEE box and am having fun with it so far. The monsters seem to come in two varieties: boring things that may as well be interchangeable that differ only by their attack bonus, and annoying crazy stuff like the Doppelgänger that takes your place and sends you back to start when it's placed, or the gnoll archer that can plink at you from two tiles away.

The game design is solid enough but occasionally results in slight oddities, for example in the first scenario there is no way to avoid at least one character taking a trap to the face on the last tile. Also as mentioned above it is as swingy as a regular D&D D20 game but the low HP of most monsters kind of counterbalances this.

The quest variety in the adventure book isn't earth shattering or anything but there are a few cool ideas in there like the third mission that takes place in town instead of the dungeon and is basically a game of Memory with villagers and monsters. The progression through the campaign is cool but seems to be a case of a good idea not applied strongly enough - you might have won a bunch of scenarios under the best circumstances and added three really good cards to the treasure deck, but the odds of drawing one of those cards in any given game is really small - particularly compared to the chance of drawing one of the tougher Encounter or Monster cards you add to their decks at the same time.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it but I went in with pretty low expectations, just looking for a dungeon crawl style game I could play alone if need be. My fiancé on the other hand generally hates crunchy games and the last few times we've broken it out it's actually been at her request.

One last note is that it is a pain to get the components back in the box when all the tokens and tiles and whatnot are punched out - you'll definitely need a couple extra bags and some creative Tetris-ing to get it all back in there.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Oldstench posted:

For pure auction, Ra or Modern Art do it for me. Unfortunately I think MA is also OOP...

Both are out of print sadly, though Ra has a pretty good iOS app for it at least.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nique posted:

Ra and Modern Art are very much where it's at but No Thanks! and Biblios are also good despite being on the filler side.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've played the tablet version of Galaxy Trucker a few times, and while I like it, it seems like it's very easy to have a good run completely borked in the final missions by a bad die roll you can't do poo poo about. "Oops, space pirates blew off one of your components and now a meteor hit the exposed space and took out half your ship, sorry!"

Is the physical game like that too, or am I just missing something apart from "sometimes you just get bad draws/rolls"?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Who's interested in a Pax Pamir PBP? Low graphics unless I find scans online.

I'm up for this if no one else has signed up yet

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've played the tablet version of Galaxy Trucker a few times, and while I like it, it seems like it's very easy to have a good run completely borked in the final missions by a bad die roll you can't do poo poo about. "Oops, space pirates blew off one of your components and now a meteor hit the exposed space and took out half your ship, sorry!"

Is the physical game like that too, or am I just missing something apart from "sometimes you just get bad draws/rolls"?

That's how the game is. It is, in fact, the point of the game. Sometimes you end up with money at the end, sometimes, you end up flying a cabin attached to a battery. Because Vlaada loves you.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's the games premise. Build your ship and watch it be destroyed. The winners are whoever ended with positive creds

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know if the app lets you, but in the real game during the ship building phase you can look through 75% of the events that are going to happen during the race.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

ImpactVector posted:

I don't know if the app lets you, but in the real game during the ship building phase you can look through 75% of the events that are going to happen during the race.

The app lets you do this too

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't lose to the space pirates.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Evil Mastermind posted:

There is no card or roll in the game that can hurt you, unless you let it hurt you. If you don't wanna get rocked by space pirates, bring more dakka. (Or if you're slick, watch your opponents and figure out who's flying a gunboat, then ride their tail as best you can.) Sure, you can't cover every eventuality, but that's what Precognition is for.

Additionally, there's a few general tricks you just learn from experience. Have two batteries for every battery-powered thing on your ship. Never built crew cabins that touch other crew cabins. Have sideways guns covering rows 6-7-8 whenever possible (a gun on 7 covers all three). If you have exposed pipes, try to face them to the rear of your ship, or bury them in mid-ship donut holes. Et cetera.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

There is no card or roll in the game that can hurt you, unless you let it hurt you. If you don't wanna get rocked by space pirates, bring more dakka. (Or if you're slick, watch your opponents and figure out who's flying a gunboat, then ride their tail as best you can.) Sure, you can't cover every eventuality, but that's what Precognition is for.

Additionally, there's a few general tricks you just learn from experience. Have two batteries for every battery-powered thing on your ship. Never built crew cabins that touch other crew cabins. Have sideways guns covering rows 6-7-8 whenever possible (a gun on 7 covers all three). If you have exposed pipes, try to face them to the rear of your ship, or bury them in mid-ship donut holes. Et cetera.

Thanks for the tips; I've only played like three actual "games" so far so I'm still learning what the strategies are.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It feels good to have just enough guns to tie the pirates or slavers, and pass them onto someone who gets hosed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Scyther posted:

It feels good to have just enough guns to tie the pirates or slavers, and pass them onto someone who gets hosed.

It feels better to have the choice of using a battery and skipping it to get that tie.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Stelas posted:

Not anymore - I'm literally on the other side of the earth in NZ. I've been poking around and I might have a supplier, though, so that's cool.

Also thanks to a goon I now have the stuff to PBP Dungeon Lords, so that's cool.

http://www.boiteajeux.net/ just released Dungeon Lords, so you can do that instead?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is it possible to do a PbP game of campaign for north africa? I imagine with the play time we could probably do several people on a roster that could rotate. Game might even outlast the forums. :haw:

EBag
May 18, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

This sounds good, trying it online right now. Other games that I'd like to know more about :

Among The Stars

It's an ok drafting game, it's pretty light and easy to get into, much easier than 7W, but I found the base game to get boring pretty fast as there isn't much variety to it and the different card abilities aren't all that varied either. I hear the expansions are supposed to be good but like someone else said also make it more fiddly.

If you can find an import copy, I would recommend picking up Glen More instead and just printing the english rules. It has a similar tile-laying aspect but with more depth and variety and the turn order mechanism is pretty cool, plus it also plays quite quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Considering the game takes 1200 hours (literally 50 actual full 24-hour days) to complete, we'd probably see our first combat engagement around the same time the sun explodes.

For demonstration purposes (from BGG):

quote:

A guide to logistics; or, how do you play this thing, anyway?

Campaign for North Africa is the most complex board game ever produced, at least as far as logistics (supplies) is concerned.

This is going to be a guide on how to work out how to run a supply net for a single unit.

Situation:
It’s early in the campaign (Sept 1940), and we are going to move a single Commonwealth reconnaissance unit from central Cairo to Tobruk. For the purposes of this guide, we will ignore coastal shipping and railways. We are going to drive across country (by road, we aren’t stupid) and set up our supply line as we go. The map is totally empty of all units (enemy and friendly) except for our recce unit in Central Cairo (E1830). We have unlimited supplies in Cairo, and an unlimited number of light trucks. Our objective is to drive all the way to Tobruk, and keep the unit supplied once there.

The road distance is about 119 hexes, so we will need to spend several turns to get there. We will need to set up supply dumps on the way, so that we can keep up a continuous supply train.

Light trucks have a CPA (move allowance) of 40, but it costs 2 CP to load or unload, so we should set up our dumps no more than 36 hexes apart. We will place one in Burg el Arab (33 hexes from Cairo), one in Mersa Matruh (33 hexes) and one in Bardia (36 hexes). Bardia is 17 hexes from Tobruk.

Our combat unit is of type hh, which has a CPA of 45, a maximum strength of 8 steps (TO/E) and a fuel rate of 1. This means the unit has a “fuel tank” of 45/5*8*1 =72 fuel points. We will keep it fully fuelled, so we need at least 72 points of fuel to be carried by attached (1st line) trucks. Every 5 hexes or part thereof costs 1 fuel point per TO/E step.

Light Trucks have a CPA of 40, fuel rate of 1 and can carry 50 fuel points each. The trucks themselves have a fuel capacity of 40/5 *1= 8 fuel points. If we attach 2 light trucks, we will have 100 points of fuel in the back of the trucks, plus 72 in the recce unit and 16 in the trucks’ tanks. If this group moves 33 hexes (such as el Arab to Mersa) will cost us 33/5 rounded up =7 fuel per step (10 steps= 8 recce plus 2 trucks) or a total of 70 fuel. A move of 36 hexes would cost 80. Note that if the recce unit moved it’s full 45 CPA, it would have to leave it’s trucks behind, as they could only move 40.

Evaporation: each turn, we are going to lose fuel to evaporation. We will assume normal weather for the whole scenario, given the date that means we will have the rubbish early war fuel cans, giving a 9% loss of all fuel (wherever it is). For our combat group, that makes 9% of whatever is left after moving. If we don’t move we will lose 16.9, rounded down to 16 points every turn from the 188 points available, so we might as well burn some off by moving.

Game turn 1:
Move phase:
The combat group moves to Burg el Arab for 70 fuel, -10 evaporation.
Convoy phase:
14 trucks move 742 fuel to el Arab, leaving 2 more trucks in Cairo.
After refuelling the combat group and the trucks, and after evaporation, 577 fuel
remains.

Game turn 2:
Move phase:
The combat group moves to Mersa Matruh at a cost of 70 fuel, -10 evaporation.
Convoy phase:
10 trucks carry 510 fuel to Mersa.
2 trucks carry 102 spare fuel to el Arab
2 trucks return to Cairo from el Arab, empty.
El Arab now holds 141 fuel,
Mersa now holds 391.

Game turn 3:
Move phase:
The combat group moves to Bardia at a cost of 80 fuel, -10 evaporation.
Convoy phase:
6 trucks carry 300 fuel to Bardia.
2 trucks move empty from Mersa to el Arab, and the Cairo- el Arab convoys are
repeated.
El Arab now holds 128
Mersa now holds 163
Bardia now holds 191 (after all refuelling and evaporation).

Game turn 4:
Move phase:
The combat group arrives in Tobruk, at a cost of 40 fuel.
Convoy phase:
4 trucks Arrive in Tobruk with 216 fuel.
El Arab has shrunk to 116 fuel.
Mersa has shrunk to 152.
Bardia now holds 54.

The total present in Tobruk is 151, after refuelling and evaporation.

Thereafter, the intermediate dumps will continue to shrink unless additional trucks are allocated. Tobruk will continue to expand (214 fuel next turn, 271 the next) while the combat unit remains in Tobruk. The best way is to make sure you are putting more into each dump than you are taking out. For example, have 4 trucks in each direction from Cairo to Burg el Arab, 3 from el Arab to Mersa, two from Mersa to Bardia and just 1 from Bardia to Tobruk.

Ammunition:
The combat unit needs 3 ammo points per TO/E point, for a total of 24 points for the recce unit. That requires a further 12 light truck units to carry (in addition to the recce unit’s internal supplies). As you can see, the fuel requirement just went up by more than double (10 +12).

Water:
While in Cairo, Tobruk or Bardia, the units have unlimited water supplies. The units starting in el Arab or Mersa must roll for water availability. Fortunately, the minimum amount is 100 points of water at these locations (up to a maximum of 500) and villages can store up to 1000 points. A high roll has a 1 in 6 chance of depleting that village until the next rains, however. Each truck and mechanised TO/E uses 1 water per turn, infantry 1 water per unit (any size). One truck can carry 40 water points, so the extra requirements are minimal, even when away from cities.

In reality, the Commonwealth may use any rail hex connected to a friendly city as an unlimited water source, unless the pipeline running through that hex is destroyed. This is of course where the famous “pasta” rule comes in, with Italian infantry having to spend 1 extra water per battalion. Good job there’s no tea rule…

Stores:
Once every 3 turns (one game turn), every TO/E point needs 4 stores points. These don’t need to be carried around once delivered, but our example unit will need 8*4=32 points every 4 turns. A light truck can carry 6 points. You would therefore need to get 6 truck loads to the frontline every 3 turns, otherwise they start to suffer attrition (2% loss every 2 turns). Units can go on half rations, but only if there are no stores present.

That’s a quick look at how to supply a single combat unit. Multiplying up by the size of all three armies will give you an idea of just how scary (or boring, depending on your point of view) this game is.