Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Oh my god there's practically nothing exclusive about GW2.

This is like any MMO's endgame where there's nothing to do except run old content for its own sake, or grind for... what exactly? A little pvp tag next to your name (which is pretty dumb tbf)? You feel alienated because some people will have a shinier tag? Or a single set of raid armour? Or because you can't world complete in a week then do nothing until season 3?

None of the ~rewards casual players are denied~ have any value at all. Unless you're bafflingly compelled to have all your percent completions add up to a nice, comforting 100 at all times I guess.

For the record, I have no legendaries, about 50% world completion and haven't even touched the raid.

are you complaining about something specifically i cant parse this post at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Strategic Tea posted:

This is like any MMO's endgame where there's nothing to do except run old content for its own sake, or grind for... what exactly? A little pvp tag next to your name (which is pretty dumb tbf)? You feel alienated because some people will have a shinier tag? Or a single set of raid armour? Or because you can't world complete in a week then do nothing until season 3?

None of the ~rewards casual players are denied~ have any value at all. Unless you're bafflingly compelled to have all your percent completions add up to a nice, comforting 100 at all times I guess.

For the record, I have no legendaries, about 50% world completion and haven't even touched the raid.

Nice meltdown, but I don't think you get to tell people what they value in a game and what they don't.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Guys if you think this is bad, try mindlessly grinding influence or whatever it was in gw1. Gating through gaining exp/points/tiers is not new to anet. Hell back then it was per character!

So far anet has been really good at fixing stupid unfair bullshit, so lets see what they do with everything you all are complaining with.

Also what's the best way to get ascended armor boxes atm? Is it still fractals or are the rewards so borked that I'm best just daily teqing and hoping I get some kick'n pants. I remembered I made an ascended chest piece way back when for my engineer's look, and that I still have an ascended armor box from the luminescent armor set waiting for me to finish. Thankfully you only need an exotic viper inscription to switch stats, and black diamonds are only 4g now. I mean that's still a bit pricey, but hey you do what you must.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are plenty of things that are bad and worse, you can still call out Anet for doing dumb poo poo or not learning from past mistakes.

I mean, I could be playing Wildstar.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

orcane posted:

There are plenty of things that are bad and worse, you can still call out Anet for doing dumb poo poo or not learning from past mistakes.

I mean, I could be playing Wildstar.

Yeah no, I agree. Anet does seem to keep pulling stupid poo poo like this. But in many cases they also recognize mistakes and will actually go and try to fix them. Just it takes forever.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I still can't believe there have already been 4 black lion weapon sets since HoT came out. $50 got you what, Chak, Auric, and the Plated line? And those sure as poo poo ain't as easy to get as just handing over more money.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

kater posted:

I still can't believe there have already been 4 black lion weapon sets since HoT came out. $50 got you what, Chak, Auric, and the Plated line? And those sure as poo poo ain't as easy to get as just handing over more money.

"Economist"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mizuti posted:

If not him directly, then others like him with this attitude. There's always a crowd rooting for MMOs to be more exclusive, more difficult, and more timesink intensive. It doesn't matter if the game is nothing of that sort to begin with: they'll call for it to be more hardcore anyways. What happens if they get their wish? Well, Wildstar was explicitly tailored to their fantasies, and it bombed because very few people actually will do and enjoy that kind of content. Wildstar's developers have been spending a lot of time and money trying to backpedal from this failed model, and it only cements the fact that spending too much time appeasing these people is a bad idea.

GW2 isn't just making the mistake of humoring these types, they've suddenly changed the game's entire model to fall in line with their demands. Big timesinks, high difficulty, and lots of exclusivity were never central features of the game until now, and it's giving most players terrible whiplash.

A lot of perfectly sane people wanted more instanced PvE content.

To be honest, I have no problem with raids being included. From what I've seen in videos the raid looks like it's probably pretty fun if you're into that kind of thing, and I'm all for offering more content tailored to more playstyles. What bugs me is that raids were added to the exclusion of more casual instanced PvE. Fractals got one good change (one fractal at a time is good) and are probably just going to be exactly like they are now for a good year and a half. Dungeons are to be struck from memory.

I also think they've got their reward structures all hosed up. Even Destiny does a better job of doling out rewards that a player cares about at a satisfying pace than Guild Wars 2 does. "Two blues and a green" is just the worst poo poo. What caused me to burn out on Heart of Thorns isn't a problem with any of the content specifically, but a problem that's been there all along: everything just feels so incremental, so slow, that even things that aren't particularly grindy feel like grinding. Building up currency by breaking down trash items is not a fun reward structure. Even when the content is fun--and some of Heart of Thorns's content is, to be fair--eventually I just didn't see the point in continuing to do it because it wasn't building to anything that I could see.

Also, I really hate how meta-events work and how megaservers play into it. The big events at the end of the meta-event chains are cool but failing over and over because I can't taxi into a good instance just killed all the fun of it for me.

And gently caress Black Lion Claim Tickets and the slew of gem store glider skins and outfits and ugh, god drat.

tl;dr gently caress MMOs I guess

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Meet my musketeer warrior.

Warriors are the best, but ANET please make rifles more flexible.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like Heart of Thorns is in the running for the dumbest purchase I've made all year.

Pretty much this. I've had no interest in doing anything other than logging on every day to finish getting leveling tomes to get my Rev to 80.

I'm sorry Anet but you've lost the magic in your pretty princess simulator for me.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

actually raids and pvp are hella fun and if you'd shed your mortal terror of accidentally touching anything "too hardcore" you might actually find an enjoyable experience beyond "princessing" in LA and complaining on forus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

subhuman filth posted:

actually raids and pvp are hella fun and if you'd shed your mortal terror of accidentally touching anything "too hardcore" you might actually find an enjoyable experience beyond "princessing" in LA and complaining on forus.

PvP is pretty much the only thing I find fun in GW2 anymore to be honest. I haven't had a chance to try raids because I haven't had the hours required to learn the encounters yet, but I'm sure they're fun.

It's just that those are really it. The open-world stuff is marred for me by being a huge hassle if you're not doing meta-events with a large organized group (you're gonna fail unless you luck into a good map), fractals are already old because they're the same drat ones we've had for two years, and dungeons are never to be spoken of in ArenaNet's presence again.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Every match is a parade of dragon hunters reapers and heralds, any team with a different class is going to lose.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think peoples main complaint is the fact you need a ton of map currency in heart of thorns, and each map has it's own currency you can only get there, which means your stuck doing the same meta events over and over.

Compared to release, where if you wanted top tier exotic armor, you had the choice to craft it, get karma from doing stuff elsewhere in the world then heading to orr, doing WvW or dungeons, or just collect gold as you play and buy it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

What on earth are you ranting about, you're completely missing my point

subhuman filth posted:

It's almost like fun is subjective and people enjoy different things, you sound like a lot of fun at parties

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Disco Infiva posted:

Meet my musketeer warrior.

Warriors are the best, but ANET please make rifles more flexible.

Very nice Conquistador look.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

subhuman filth posted:

I was a GW1 player that went 30/50 in HoM before taking a break before GW2 dropped. I've played since launch. I've ground out multiple titles in PvP and just don't have any interest in playing the same maps anymore. I've never been in to doing dungeons unless I needed to for grinding out the multiple legendaries I have so raids are moot to me.

It isn't about being too hardcore, it's about being a lot of real lackluster content and design decisions that is more of a lovely grind than actual fun.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Aleph Null posted:

Very nice Conquistador look.

Thank you.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But at least they keep the gemstore things coming because who needs more than three armor/weapon models in a $50 expansion, there's still dozens from the vanilla game you can earn entirely within the game!

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Geekslinger posted:

I was a GW1 player that went 30/50 in HoM before taking a break before GW2 dropped. I've played since launch. I've ground out multiple titles in PvP and just don't have any interest in playing the same maps anymore. I've never been in to doing dungeons unless I needed to for grinding out the multiple legendaries I have so raids are moot to me.

It isn't about being too hardcore, it's about being a lot of real lackluster content and design decisions that is more of a lovely grind than actual fun.

you answered your own dilemma. every single thing you listed here is a slow, tedious grind towards some nebulous fill-the-bar goal. try content that actually challenges your skills as a player like raids, high level fractals (not just 2 swamps and a maw per day), structured pvp, story mode achievements. you're so intensely focused on the reward at the end of the tunnel that you cant even see the game anymore.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

subhuman filth posted:

you answered your own dilemma. every single thing you listed here is a slow, tedious grind towards some nebulous fill-the-bar goal. try content that actually challenges your skills as a player like raids, high level fractals (not just 2 swamps and a maw per day), structured pvp, story mode achievements. you're so intensely focused on the reward at the end of the tunnel that you cant even see the game anymore.

jfc dude, people play different games for different reasons. I'm glad you found your calling with whatever you do in gw2, but please realise there are other possible & equally valid playstyles.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

ok man but I'm not the one complaining about video games on a message board instead of pursuing what I find enjoyable and fulfilling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

subhuman filth posted:

ok man but I'm not the one complaining about video games on a message board instead of pursuing what I find enjoyable and fulfilling.

No, instead you're complaining about other people complaining. Go jerk off in your precious raids and high level fractals instead.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

haha holy poo poo

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You're tearing us apart, Anet!!!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mods gas this lovely thread plz

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

subhuman filth posted:

you realize you just told a person who has multiple loving legendaries that they haven't been playing enough parts of the game, right?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Trap sprung, your posting days are over.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

malhavok posted:

Every match is a parade of dragon hunters reapers and heralds, any team with a different class is going to lose.
You forgot Chronomancer and Tempest.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So what exactly is the problem with the pvp league icons? A few people seemed pretty upset about it, but I don't get it. I barely even notice them in the first place. To me it just seems like an incredibly minor thing and that people just wanted to complain about something, but perhaps I'm missing something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So what exactly is the problem with the pvp league icons? A few people seemed pretty upset about it, but I don't get it. I barely even notice them in the first place. To me it just seems like an incredibly minor thing and that people just wanted to complain about something, but perhaps I'm missing something.

It's ugly visual clutter and completely pointless to display in the PvE side of the game, that's literally the point multiple people have made. It's incredible how some have extrapolated beyond that.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Are there any non elite spec classes that can compete? I don't have Hot but I would like to try to play. Altough I watched a guy on twitch try to play spvp and he seemed very frustrated about the matchmaking.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
No.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

CLAM DOWN posted:

ugly visual clutter

Be fair, designers just wanted to match the new icon to its intended game environment: a permanent soup of spell effects.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

fuccboi posted:

Are there any non elite spec classes that can compete? I don't have Hot but I would like to try to play. Altough I watched a guy on twitch try to play spvp and he seemed very frustrated about the matchmaking.

I actually prefer to play necromancer without the reaper specialization, with elementalist you might be able to get away without the spec. Either way matchmaking has always been lovely and adding a poorly thought out esports division system only made it worse.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

fuccboi posted:

You could play warrior in pvp and not lose any competitiveness without the berserker trait line.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Condi engi and necro, warrior, that's about it, it's a short list of which classes/specs the elite isn't a massive upgrade in power.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

fuccboi posted:

I'm seeing handful Thieves without Daredevil spec or Engineers not using Hammer, but that's about it. Also sPvP is frustrating no matter what unless you play certain meta builds, due to balancing issues.

shrach posted:

You could play warrior in pvp and not lose any competitiveness without the berserker trait line.
Yes and no. Warrior can play without Berserker spec (unless you want to utilize condition damage), but Warrior itself has almost zero competitiveness.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's ugly visual clutter and completely pointless to display in the PvE side of the game, that's literally the point multiple people have made. It's incredible how some have extrapolated beyond that.

In the post you made before you seemed to be concerned about "lower league scrubs" being made fun of or something, so I was wondering if people simply didn't like looking at it or if there was another reason beyond that. I don't really think I'm extrapolating by asking that. I mean honestly it still seems like a really minor thing to me, especially as like maybe 25% of people have one from what I've seen, but whatever. Only displaying it in pvp seems fair enough to me if people are bothered by it. For all the complaining you've been doing about people being dismissive towards your opinions, you're pretty good at doing the same thing to people who disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aesis posted:

I'm seeing handful Thieves without Daredevil spec or Engineers not using Hammer, but that's about it. Also sPvP is frustrating no matter what unless you play certain meta builds, due to balancing issues.

Yes and no. Warrior can play without Berserker spec (unless you want to utilize condition damage), but Warrior itself has almost zero competitiveness.

Get Scrapper, use Flamethrower.

• Locked thread