Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Liberatore posted:

Game assigns you to the closest data center, then matches within that. If it can't find players, it matches you within a different DC.

There's normally no way to change this, but you can party up. MM region is based on party leader (who does the first invite). When solo, I use a SSH tunnel to get matched within Central South US and East US DCs.

loving crazy because I live in Maryland. I never ever get matched with Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Carecat posted:

Bandit's electric traps, too situational to be useful? They are great at taking out drones but the chances of anyone ever standing in one or hitting a wall with one seems hugely low. They would be a good gently caress you to anyone who enters a window but that's as big a crap shoot as putting them on a wall.

Although I just read you can use it on riot shields :eyepop:

We used them to surround a hostage, so when they lingered outside the window, I popped Smoke's gas and they jumped in to try and smash and grab the hostage and more or less died to the barbed wire.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Shadowlz posted:

loving crazy because I live in Maryland. I never ever get matched with Americans.

Makes no sense to me. Check what data center you're connected to. Brazil's only one is "sbr", I believe. In Maryland, you should be connected to "eus" (East US).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Liberatore posted:

Bandit's batteries are pretty good for their ability to prevent Thermite from breaching reinforced walls, if they don't have a Thatcher or in some cases, Twitch.

Some Operator abilities are most useful when countering other Operator abilities, anyway. Like IQ vs Pulse, Bandit vs Thermite or Ash vs Castle + Mute.

One thing I like doing with shock wire is placing two or three of them somewhat overlapped under a trapdoor. Have Jager cover that trapdoor. Hilarious results when it works.

Badit + barbed wire or a ballistic shield on a chokepoint is good at slowing them down

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Liberatore posted:

Makes no sense to me. Check what data center you're connected to. Brazil's only one is "sbr", I believe. In Maryland, you should be connected to "eus" (East US).

Yeah I was connected to sbr. No clue why it's doing that. I'm not on any vpns or anything. I ping like 180-270.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So to anybody on the fence about the Xbox version, don't be! This game is a total blast other than the spotty hit detection and horrors of playing with pubs.

I also love how they categorize every kind of victory and defeat imaginable. I especially love if you lose during overtime as you get a "Heartbreaking Defeat" :3:

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Shadowlz posted:

I'm also MD :whatup: and have never not been on us east in any game, except when it's by choice.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wish they'd just let you pick whatever datacenter you wanted. They said you would be able to at launch but nope.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

I guess it's some routing tomfoolery going on. Hopefully they will add the feature to pick your own data center soon. I'll just play with goons or something till then. Sometimes I get lucky and get WUS instead of SBR.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So last night us goons in the channel played against Matimi0 with 850 people watching.

And won.

Shadowlz posted:

I'm in the Baltimore area as well, and the only time I notice playing with non-Americans is if I'm in a group with other people who use a different data center. Otherwise I usually have a great ping (Eastern US data center gives me like a 19 ping so I'm pretty sure it's in DC or something) and most everyone else in the server does as well.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 2, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Dvsilverwing posted:

So last night us goons in the channel played against Matimi0 with 850 people watching.

And won.

Nice, find the stream and post the highlight man!

Also where's everyone finding this the cheapest on PC? Need it for myself and to put in the OP.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Made a dumb thing out of some beta footage for the sake of it (and because that Idris Elba trailer was too silly to not take the piss out of)

Gotta say, for as much as they've been pumping up the PVP for those HOT ESPORTS MT DOLLARS, Terrorist Hunt really feels like an unsung successor to the co-op of the old games. It's really nice to see Bad Company-esque destruction with much tighter level design and in a more quaint lil' context. I've also had pretty decent luck with communication and no intentional teamkills or elitist bullfuckery yet, so that's a real plus.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Keket posted:

Nice, find the stream and post the highlight man!

Also where's everyone finding this the cheapest on PC? Need it for myself and to put in the OP.

I got it for a little over $45 CAD off of cjscdkeys.com, which I've dealt with before and seems relatively trustworthy, but their site is laid out like trash and they sent me an actual picture of a retail box code, which definitely implies the risk of stolen-out-of-the-back-of-a-truck keys. I wouldn't blame anyone for giving it side-eye, so G2A's probably the safest bet, if you can't get a decent price on a spare Nvidia code off Ebay.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I had a few people intentionally TK but the game was pretty quick about taking them out of the game so it wasn't really an issue aside from one round's loss.

Anyone playing this on a console really owes it to themselves to get a good set of headphones if they don't have one already; surround sound is such a boon to locating enemies that it's practically a handicap just using a television

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

The soundwork in this game reaches borderline-DICE levels of masterful engineering, sometimes arguably surpassing that. Sound occlusion tends to be pretty barebones and crappy in most games, especially for footstep sounds, but the amount of effort they put into it here gives a sense of dread kinda akin to hearing someone actually scurrying around a floor above you. That's a real difficult thing to do in the wild world of game sound design.

Granted, none of it's HYPER REAL and actual voices still carry a bit too far, but the reverb lends them enough credibility and honestly i'm surprised at how much VO the AI alone has for everything. I mean, it's not uncharacteristic for these games, but with how little they needed to care about that stuff they definitely put some effort in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cameras are also a great drama-creating design idea. There has been a few tunes when I am flipping through camera and hit upon an entire attacking team stacking up right above a ceiling that looks suspiciously like the one that is right above me at that very second and no one bothered to bar. Then the world explodes

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Moartoast posted:

The soundwork in this game reaches borderline-DICE levels of masterful engineering, sometimes arguably surpassing that. Sound occlusion tends to be pretty barebones and crappy in most games, especially for footstep sounds, but the amount of effort they put into it here gives a sense of dread kinda akin to hearing someone actually scurrying around a floor above you. That's a real difficult thing to do in the wild world of game sound design.

Granted, none of it's HYPER REAL and actual voices still carry a bit too far, but the reverb lends them enough credibility and honestly i'm surprised at how much VO the AI alone has for everything. I mean, it's not uncharacteristic for these games, but with how little they needed to care about that stuff they definitely put some effort in.

Yeah the sound is awesome. Also a lot of neat visual effects like dust off the basement ceiling when someone sprints across it and lights flickering when explosions go off. The debris carry a nice weight and things don't tend to fly across the room in a glitch spasm.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So I know there isn't a "best " operate because they're all unique little snowflakes but is there a worst? So far everyone I've used seems to have some use on every map but are there any guys are just flat out inferior ( as in outclassed by another operator, etc)?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I know there isn't a "best " operate because they're all unique little snowflakes but is there a worst? So far everyone I've used seems to have some use on every map but are there any guys are just flat out inferior ( as in outclassed by another operator, etc)?

Doc is pretty situational. He's really good if Rook is on the team though because his extra armor makes people get downed instead of killed WAY more often.

It's really easy to kill Twitch and Bandit's devices too, but they're still pretty useful.

Mute and Thermite are almost always taken though.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I don't think there are any stand-out poo poo ones, but i think its more 'you should always have at leased X on your team' which is usually Thermite and maybe castle/whoever does the tazer poo poo.

Also yes, you owe it to yourself to get some good headphones for this loving amazing game.

And thinking about it, I'd much prefer watching competitive games of this than watching competitive CS.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
The sound design is amazing for this game. In Counter-Strike you can tell where people are by what they're running on, same thing here. There are different things around the map to indicate position, broken glass, broken boards, tarps, each has a different sound when people run on them. The booming reverberation of the attackers running above you is insane in making the tension come to life.

Its also pretty important to situation awareness.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Dvsilverwing posted:

I'm in the Baltimore area as well, and the only time I notice playing with non-Americans is if I'm in a group with other people who use a different data center. Otherwise I usually have a great ping (Eastern US data center gives me like a 19 ping so I'm pretty sure it's in DC or something) and most everyone else in the server does as well.

It's in Virginia. There's also DCs in Texas and California, possibly Iowa and/or Illinois. Outside of the US, there's ones in at least Singapore, Ireland, Tokyo, São Paulo, Hong Kong and Netherlands.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

IQ's device is pretty much only useful as a counter to Pulse; She has a good gun and she's fast, so people still like her, but she's easily the worst attacker. Kapkan's booby traps won't even slow down decent players, but he has C4 and a great loving SMG.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Its pretty balanced but some operators have a broader use than others, some I don't really like are:

IQ: She has low armor and her ability lets her see electronic devices which is super situational because most devices are focused in the objective area and Thatcher (who has medium armor) has EMP grenades and plenty of them to deal with most electronics, so when I play as him I preemptively toss nades into the objective room to clear out devices. She does have great primary weapons to choose from and gets the other LMG (the other being Fuse)

Sledge: Most of the time his ability is not useful as everyone will have breaching charges or otherwise, however since his hammer isn't powered by electricity he can deploy it on things covered by Mute jammers (specifically Castle walls with a jammer behind them), however he exposes himself to shots if they enemy knows he's at the window.

Twitch: The drone is useful, but once again the EMP grenades do the same thing and cannot be countered by things that counter drones. Only benefit is it can scout as well. She also looks like a gimp and has a great weapons selection.

This is all my opinion, some goons here pick IQ every time and I laugh at them off mic because of it while they proceed to carry with the LMG.

Captn Kurp fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 2, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cameras are also a great drama-creating design idea. There has been a few tunes when I am flipping through camera and hit upon an entire attacking team stacking up right above a ceiling that looks suspiciously like the one that is right above me at that very second and no one bothered to bar. Then the world explodes

I just wish they let the Defenders plant their own cameras the way the Attackers can position their drones. Once you learn the camera placements it's easy to train yourself to shoot them every round.

It's not like they aren't super-obvious, they glow red whenever a defender is looking through them.

Speaking of positioning your drones, try to put them high rather than low. I like to jump on bookcases, boxes, and anything else above eye-level. The common terrorist is physically incapable of looking up, use this to your advantage.

If you have eyes inside the objective room, winning the round should be a given.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah it kinda sucks how the cameras aren't randomized at all.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Really loving this game.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Liberatore posted:

It's in Virginia.

Okay so pretty close to DC, anyway.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

IQs ability is situational but it has its uses. It's great in t-hunt because the AI likes to drop nitro cells all over the place. You can also use it to help Thatcher guide his nades or as a quick scout if you didn't find the location during the setup phase since the room with all the traps is the one you'll be going to.

Basically, IQ compensates for bad teammates.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

IQ can straight up detect the bomb/biohazard which can be useful in T-Hunt, but is pretty useless in MP.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Moartoast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti6ZWRSiqpQ
Audio Director explains propagation with stick figures.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

IQ is invaluable for thunt's "entire room of C4" situations, but she really depends on your teammates actually listening to your warnings. I've called out stuff plenty of times and then saw a teammate just charge in blindly and get blown to hell

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Who are THE BEST operators?

From beta my limited experience is that: Thermite, Ash, Mute, Tachanka, Castle were all pretty good

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Who are THE BEST operators?

From beta my limited experience is that: Thermite, Ash, Mute, Tachanka, Castle were all pretty good

Thermite and Thatcher are a must have for every attack team. Fuze is just behind.

For defense it's not as marked. Mute or Bandit are nice to have but now that we have Thatcher they aren't as good as they used to be.

SMG are apparently terrible

Krogort fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 2, 2015

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I also forgot Kapkan, who has the choice of an auto shotty (great!) and his SMG had insanely good iron sights, so you dont need to splurge on a red dot.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerkface posted:

I also forgot Kapkan, who has the choice of an auto shotty (great!) and his SMG had insanely good iron sights, so you dont need to splurge on a red dot.
Glaz also is quite good. It's like they purposely made no bad Russian operators. :tinfoil:

Orv
May 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Glaz also is quite good. It's like they purposely made no bad Russian operators. :tinfoil:

Tachanka's turret is basically a death trap that will sometimes get you one kill, and anyone who dies to a Kapkan trap is a certifiable retard. Their guns are really good at least.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Orv posted:

Tachanka's turret is basically a death trap that will sometimes get you one kill, and anyone who dies to a Kapkan trap is a certifiable retard. Their guns are really good at least.

You obviously haven't seen Gamesguy play as Tachanka.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Tachanka turret needs one of two things to be useful:
Make it remote controlled - helps Tachanka, helps IQ, makes Thatcher even better.
Make it shoot through shields - helps Tachanka, makes it a viable counter to shields but keeps the extreme vulnerability to anything that isn't shields.

And I'm sure goons can come up with even more changes that would make the turret not a death trap or at least a death trap that's worth risking.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DatonKallandor posted:

The Tachanka turret needs one of two things to be useful:
Make it remote controlled - helps Tachanka, helps IQ, makes Thatcher even better.
Make it shoot through shields - helps Tachanka, makes it a viable counter to shields but keeps the extreme vulnerability to anything that isn't shields.

And I'm sure goons can come up with even more changes that would make the turret not a death trap or at least a death trap that's worth risking.

Just give it a shield imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If you put a Kapkan trap behind a barricade can they still see it? Might be ok behind barricades they expect to be in a 100% clear zone.

• Locked thread