Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fulchrum posted:

It still doesn't quite top literally advocating creating SPECTRE and giving it millions of drones as a method to fight ISIS.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/108028360866/corporations-versus-countries

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Idran posted:

Yeah, even outside the awful politics he's a weird guy. In another of his older books (or maybe the same one) he was also pushing what was essentially "The Secret" years before that book came out, saying it's literally where he got his success from. Which seems like it'd clash with the rest of his ethos?
Well, if you actually believe that the only thing you need to do to be successful is be positive and wish for it really hard, then anyone who refuses to do the same deserves their hardships and not sympathy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Knight posted:

Well, if you actually believe that the only thing you need to do to be successful is be positive and wish for it really hard, then anyone who refuses to do the same deserves their hardships and not sympathy.
That's not fair. You also have to write it down. And it works because of quantum mechanics. :pseudo:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I don't know a lot about Christianity, but Jesus didn't seem like the type of guy who would want people fawning over his birthday for a long period of time, and would be most likely very cool with the idea of celebrating everyone's faiths and holidays.

I mean, poo poo, isn't "Merry Christmas" technically applicable like one/two days per year? This "war on Christmas" is great and just boils down to "my thing isn't getting 100% of the attention all the time".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some Christians are wholly against the idea of any celebration because they view it as a pagan festival and that by making some days more holy they diminish the holiness of the others, or that the only days that the Bible tells Christians to keep holy is the Sabbath and maybe Easter. Jehovah's Witnesses and Puritans fall into this group.
Others like Anglicans and Catholics think that it should be made a huge deal of with feasts and merry-making.

The general reconciliation between these contradictory views is Romans 14.

Romans 14:5-10 posted:

One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.

In reality the actual response has been anything from passive-aggressive facebooking to religious persecution and deportation, but the Biblical view is "don't be a dick about the trivial matters as long as you all believe in Jesus."

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That's why I say "Enjoy your vacation" because gently caress your holidays, Christmas or otherwise, and double gently caress you if you have to work :smug:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Idran posted:

Yeah, even outside the awful politics he's a weird guy. In another of his older books (or maybe the same one) he was also pushing what was essentially "The Secret" years before that book came out, saying it's literally where he got his success from. Which seems like it'd clash with the rest of his ethos?

I've never read The Secret™ but from what I understand it sounds like it could be beneficial to really think about your goals and try to understand what you really need/want. Some people are loving terrible at that. The problem comes when you believe you have to purchase and read an entire book about it. Really it should be a self help pamphlet. Basically at its core it might be good, but then someone realized that they could exploit suckers and market it...wait...The Secret™ was actually some authors the secret! :eek:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Secret™ is that by thinking really hard about what you want and writing it down repeatedly, reality will shift and make your desires come true without you actually doing anything.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Yup, it's basically 'Just World Theory' wrapped up in wishy washy self help book about wishing for things real hard. Much like religious people who can say, 'you just didn't believe/have faith!' when bad things happen, it's the fault of the person it happened to.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skellybones posted:

The Secret™ is that by thinking really hard about what you want and writing it down repeatedly, reality will shift and make your desires come true without you actually doing anything.

Noted wrestler The Ryback used the secret to become strong and buff and eat a lot. Good going The Ryback.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Skellybones posted:

It's also the basis of Sigilite Chaos Magick as practiced by Austin Osman Spare, the Fields of the Nephilim and Alan Moore.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Somebody learned about WordArt.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

No lens flares. How drole.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Poizen Jam posted:

Yup, it's basically 'Just World Theory' wrapped up in wishy washy self help book about wishing for things real hard. Much like religious people who can say, 'you just didn't believe/have faith!' when bad things happen, it's the fault of the person it happened to.

drat. I'll take it off my Christmas list. Gonna get Ask and It Is Given™ instead.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
It would be awesome if the "silent majority" could just shut up for a single, solitary, moment. Might as well add them to the joke about vegetarians and crossfitters with the way they go on and on and on about their dumb opinions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parachute posted:

I don't know a lot about Christianity, but Jesus didn't seem like the type of guy who would want people fawning over his birthday for a long period of time, and would be most likely very cool with the idea of celebrating everyone's faiths and holidays.

I mean, poo poo, isn't "Merry Christmas" technically applicable like one/two days per year? This "war on Christmas" is great and just boils down to "my thing isn't getting 100% of the attention all the time".

The religious right is openly hostile to ideas other than their own. They also believe that fundamentalism is just fine and dandy. They genuinely want to force everybody in America to celebrate Christmas and be Christian. Trust me, they genuinely believe they'd be doing everybody else a favor by enacting Christian fundamentalism and forcing everybody to be Christian. What Jesus actually taught matters gently caress all to these people; it's "I am right and will go to Heaven. You are wrong and will go to Hell. I will force you to agree with me for your own good."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't understand. No one looks at my skin and assumes I'm German and no one ever mocks me with German stereotypes and asks where my wurst and liederhosen are because of my skin color.....sooooo I guess the Asian guy is right?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Poizen Jam posted:

Look, you put that out in the universe, it's going to come back to you.

It's like a just-world budget version of Karma.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand. No one looks at my skin and assumes I'm German and no one ever mocks me with German stereotypes and asks where my wurst and liederhosen are because of my skin color.....sooooo I guess the Asian guy is right?

I keep forgetting you're not actually a black teen holding a gun like you're avatar.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

VitalSigns posted:

No, I can't tell them apart so CHING CHONG DING DONG! OOO I WOVE TEA!

Oh but you can't tell if I like schnitzel, tacos or shark meat that's been buried and fermenting for months! So who is the real racist? huh?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
its real dumb how racist white americans claim 'irish heritage' or whatever when they're seventh generation

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More or less dumb than when racist irish americans claim 'white heritage' or whatever when white was a made up term used by landowners to divide european indentured servants from african slaves so they'd spend more time fighting each other rather than uniting to unseat the landed gentry?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its real dumb how racist white americans claim 'irish heritage' or whatever when they're seventh generation

More or less dumb than black people claiming "african" heritage when they're even further removed than 7 generations?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Those Irish are taking good American jobs! :argh::hf::911:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Armyman25 posted:

More or less dumb than black people claiming "african" heritage when they're even further removed than 7 generations?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

VitalSigns posted:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pretty much all white people look alike and are unidentifiable beyond really really strong Nordic or Eastern European features and even those aren't 100% and best case will tell you a region but not a country.

I've been told I look Irish, Russian, German, Jewish, Polish, Greek, part Asian by multiple people because I have "squinty eyes" and others when I look hella Slovakian but no one ever says that because most people don't even know it's a country.

Also I grew up in a large Asian community and the different ethnicities are definitely way more distinct than generic white people. Chinese people don't look Korean but I'll be hosed if I can tell Irish from Scottish from German even when they're natives until I hear them speak.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I keep forgetting you're not actually a black teen holding a gun like you're avatar.

I may change it, it makes me kinda uncomfortable that my avatar is a dead kid :smith:

E: but I have yet to find something I like, I guess I could always go back to my dumb 80s album cover

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 2, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

You know most of those people didn't get a choice in leaving Africa and it's almost impossible to trace where their ancestors actually came from and the other alternative to connect with their heritage is American slave culture, right? Black Americans have much more justification to try to establish some sense of identity than white Americans whose ancestors weren't property. Like you're aware there are people alive today who lived through segregation. And yeah the Irish have faced persecution in recent history too but not the ones whose ancestors came to America generations ago.

I generally think you get more flak here than you deserve but then you say dumb false equivalency poo poo like this and it's hard to keep feeling that way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

African-Americans actually do have distinct cultures that are different from white Americans around them though, whereas 7th-Generation "Irish"-Americans are just like any other white person in their state

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I personally prefer the term black to African-American because I don't want to give any kind of legitimacy to American as an ethnicity. I think a large part of the drive to use African-American is because black Americans wanted to be seen as American and not The Other.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Pretty much all white people look alike and are unidentifiable beyond really really strong Nordic or Eastern European features and even those aren't 100% and best case will tell you a region but not a country.

Some people look German as all hell

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

theflyingorc posted:

They're a lucky few, though.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

It's almost as if that "African" heritage makes them visually distinct from other groups and has historically been used as an identifier to oppress them and restrict their opportunities.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

I just wanted to say your avatar is loving awesome

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How about the fact that, going by occupied landmass and population, China is bigger than all those white places put together? So knowing the difference between those groups is actually like understanding the difference between people from the distinct provinces of China, not China, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

How about the fact that, going by occupied landmass and population, China is bigger than all those white places put together? So knowing the difference between those groups is actually like understanding the difference between people from the distinct provinces of China, not China, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

Eeeh. I can't tell an English person from a Canadian and they're at least ten miles away from each other.

I think it's more about shouting "Wow you look Chinese can you teach me karate do you know Jackie Chan??" at Asian people than the understandable mistake of not being able to tell Chinese from Japanese despite the easy to remember rhyme.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I'll have to take your word for it. I can't even think of physical traits I'd associate with being German.

Rick_Hunter posted:

I personally prefer the term black to African-American because I don't want to give any kind of legitimacy to American as an ethnicity. I think a large part of the drive to use African-American is because black Americans wanted to be seen as American and not The Other.

I also feel like in present day it's just become a zero effort way to score good liberal points while doing nothing else to try to respect black culture or people or stand up against racism. Which I guess would still be okay if I didn't meet so many white people who expected to be instantly cool with black people because they were vocal about using the term. Those people tended to talk about black people like they would just instantly crumble into a pile of tears if anyone called them black also and would say things like hearing the N-word, even in a movie or song or something, was triggering to them.

In some ways I had more respect for overtly racist whites I knew because they'd at least treat black people they knew personally like human beings and not like, I dunno, emotional chinchillas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
There is no way to tell northeast Asian ethnicities apart by physical differences alone. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling racist stuff on par with Celtic simian features.

Language, style, mannerisms sure. But Chinese, Japanese and Koreans mistake each other all the time at first glance.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that there has been a shitload more intermixing of those races than any of them are willing to admit.