Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

T___A posted:

Anyone know when the EU4 converter will be updated? I just finished a game and I would like to play it with the new EU4 update.

I did it a few months after Horse Lords came out. The converter makes the right files, you just have to put them in the EU4 mods folder manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Anonononomous posted:

I did it a few months after Horse Lords came out. The converter makes the right files, you just have to put them in the EU4 mods folder manually.
I've done it before, just for whatever reason the game does not consider the files up to date.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

So when I go to launch the game it tells me it failed to create a graphics device. Drivers are up to date, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and I've verified the game cache and it still doesn't launch. Anything else I could try?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Freakus posted:

Is it just me or are nomads insanely powerful? Abbasid declared a holy war on me 3 times, each time I repelled their 30k stack with just 10k troops. Eventually I was able to get my empire calm enough (so much pillaging) to invade Persia, which was a trivial matter.
Nomads are hella OP which is why I'm doing my best now to take advantage of it for cheevos. I even have a copy of the ironman from when one of my vassal clans turned zunist, heh.

Use it and abuse it while you can, I suppose; the problem to my mind is that on one hand, all the non-horde unit types are utter poo poo now, but aside from OP cultural tactics I don't see how to really model just how much better the hordes were at this whole 'warfare' dealio until later.

Edit:

Groogy, having my nomad capital in Syr Darya gives me the "Capital at Tengri Holy Site" twice.

Also why the rotten hell do my family members not take concubines? Even just one? I see you've fixed the Zorastrian incest problem (i.e., I'm inundated in requests for child bethrothals) but them not taking concubines leads to some uhhh, big problems down the line. Also lack of realism, blah blah blah.

(I've already had one hideous imbecile live to high rank, though he's now "The Lionheart" so he's not all bad)

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 2, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
More inner clan bullshit. Clans should be constantly fighting each other over crap.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Snatch Duster posted:

More inner clan bullshit. Clans should be constantly fighting each other over crap.

And huge succession crisis, at every succession.

At the same time, while nomad is super-easy mode for the player, for some reason the AI seems incredibly ineffective at it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Easily my favorite ruler yet:

Though her AI dad is equally impressive:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 2, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gotta explain it dude

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Gotta explain it dude

Attractive lustful warrior poet tourney winner formidable fighter duchess. Just managed to roll perfect in pretty much all occasions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CrazyLoon posted:

It might be an option, if war was not imminent. But like how he described it? Way too unreliable I think, especially since the whole insta-murder for hundreds of gold option got removed. Even if you get 100-200% plot power on the Abbasid Caliph (very hard most likely), sometimes the RNG just makes it so that it doesn't trigger for 2 or 3 years. Even if a child takes over by then, I dunno...very dicey.

There's a bug where a plot can fail to pop no matter how much power you have. I had one sitting at something like 700% for five years without a single attempt on the guy. I cancelled it and restarted, and he was dead within two months.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What would be cool is if clan allegiance and independence was a lot more fluid; since there aren't any government types in the game that play like this.

Basically what I'm imagining is that most nomadic rulers would be independent king-level khans, but for X hundred prestige, they can declare themself a Khagan. Khagans could get CBs to vassalize khans, but in general khans would be much more willing to accept diplovassalization, which for them would be largely dependent upon relative prestige power levels; for nomads, religion and culture would not factor into willingness to diplovassal. Khans would also be able to unilaterally declare independence without needing to declare a war, and would inevitably do so upon khagan succession if they have more prestige than the new khagan.

The idea would be to simulate both the young years of Genghis Khan rallying together the tribes of Mongolia under his banner, and the breakup of the Mongol empire into the various hordes.

Another interesting idea could be to dial back how demanding the clans are of territorial equality, but make it so that if the khagan's clan holds a vast swath of territory to itself, upon succession the non-inheriting sons would start their own clans and get a chunk of the holdings.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Me? Empress? Don't mind if I do! Pays to be hot I guess?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
dammit, why did my half-brother the Emperor of Abyssinia-to-be have to goddamn well inherit right now? Shoulda made him independent earlier I SUPPOSE.

Or maybe that would have done nothing, either. SIghhhhhh.

Also what the hell governs who I can transfer vassals to this time? Apparently just being lower rank and neighbours isn't enough any more. :argh:

DarkCrawler posted:

Easily my favorite ruler yet:

Though her AI dad is equally impressive:

drat son, why aren't you seducing like a mofo with her.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So, uh, if you conquer a tribal/pagan county (as a Catholic) that consists only of tribal lands and a bishopric, is there ANY way to hand it out to someone such that they don't become a prince-bishop? Like even with the console I can't find a way to do it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deceitful Penguin posted:

drat son, why aren't you seducing like a mofo with her.

Why seduce people when you can just push their poo poo in and take the crown? :black101:

(by far the fastest I've even gotten to Empire, oh Byzantium)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 2, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

So, uh, if you conquer a tribal/pagan county (as a Catholic) that consists only of tribal lands and a bishopric, is there ANY way to hand it out to someone such that they don't become a prince-bishop? Like even with the console I can't find a way to do it.

Create a barony in the bishopric by clicking on the holding?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Create a barony in the bishopric by clicking on the holding?

A barony in the bishopric? Not sure I'm following. I did try creating a castle/barony in the county, setting the barony as the county capital, handing out both it and the bishopric to different people, and then giving the baron the county title. He automatically kicks out the bishop and becomes prince-bishop with the bishopric becoming the county capital. I don't get it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DStecks posted:

What would be cool is if clan allegiance and independence was a lot more fluid; since there aren't any government types in the game that play like this.

Basically what I'm imagining is that most nomadic rulers would be independent king-level khans, but for X hundred prestige, they can declare themself a Khagan. Khagans could get CBs to vassalize khans, but in general khans would be much more willing to accept diplovassalization, which for them would be largely dependent upon relative prestige power levels; for nomads, religion and culture would not factor into willingness to diplovassal. Khans would also be able to unilaterally declare independence without needing to declare a war, and would inevitably do so upon khagan succession if they have more prestige than the new khagan.

The idea would be to simulate both the young years of Genghis Khan rallying together the tribes of Mongolia under his banner, and the breakup of the Mongol empire into the various hordes.

Another interesting idea could be to dial back how demanding the clans are of territorial equality, but make it so that if the khagan's clan holds a vast swath of territory to itself, upon succession the non-inheriting sons would start their own clans and get a chunk of the holdings.

All of these are good ideas.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

A barony in the bishopric?

Randomly generating a vassal by right-clicking.

But yeah, that sounds bizarre.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is it perhaps because a temple got built before a castle and so the game is hard coded to regard the thing that got built first as the natural county capital? Meaning when it comes under AI control the AI automatically sets it as county capital no matter what and kicks out the existing bishop if necessary.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OK, this is weird. I used the console to force-convert the religion of the county to Catholic, then upgraded the holding to feudal. Now there's a castle, a church and a city. I create vassals for the church and city. I then hand out the county to someone--he STILL becomes a Prince-Bishop even though he does not hold a church, he holds a castle.

This is a bug, right?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 2, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
^ EDIT: Sounds like a bug ^

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is it perhaps because a temple got built before a castle and so the game is hard coded to regard the thing that got built first as the natural county capital? Meaning when it comes under AI control the AI automatically sets it as county capital no matter what and kicks out the existing bishop if necessary.

Not that I'm aware of. I've never had that happen before. Usually the baron is fine with just the barony.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DStecks posted:

This is all good because it would still allow nomads to expand extremely rapidly but would dissuade blobbing and make the steppes a bit more chaotic and fun.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
My 29-intrigue spymaster apparently is now Possessed. Is this bad? :sweatdrop:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DarkCrawler posted:

Why seduce people when you can just push their poo poo in and take the crown? :black101:

(by far the fastest I've even gotten to Empire, oh Byzantium)

What mod are you playing with? I recognise the religious icon as being used in several, but I assume it's not WtWSMS.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

catlord posted:

What mod are you playing with? I recognise the religious icon as being used in several, but I assume it's not WtWSMS.

CK2+

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If I press one of my direct vassals' claims on a county that I am not de jure liege of, will I become liege of it on account of already being the ruling vassal's liege?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GlitchThief posted:

If I press one of my direct vassals' claims on a county that I am not de jure liege of, will I become liege of it on account of already being the ruling vassal's liege?

Yes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In fact, that's actually one of the more common ways to expand your realm once you start blobbing. Getting a dynasty member with claims or waiting for your chancellor to get off his rear end and do something can be pretty slow.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
So according to paradox's new rules, could we all be banned from the forums for discussing mods here?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I doubt it, but modders could probably get in trouble for disseminating mods here!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Well, I just finished my first game of Crusader Kings II. Started as the Count of Dublin and went on to unite Ireland, conquer Scotland, and take a decent bite out of brytho... britu... Wales. Took forever though. I had read some advice that suggested coasting on speed 3, but given it took me like 50 hours to wrap up that game I'll probably go up a notch next time.

Overall though, I ended up very engaged by the game once I had figured out a few of the systems. This thread was immeasurably helpful. I can tell I still have a lot more to learn too.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

GlitchThief posted:

Well, I just finished my first game of Crusader Kings II. Started as the Count of Dublin and went on to unite Ireland, conquer Scotland, and take a decent bite out of brytho... britu... Wales. Took forever though. I had read some advice that suggested coasting on speed 3, but given it took me like 50 hours to wrap up that game I'll probably go up a notch next time.

Overall though, I ended up very engaged by the game once I had figured out a few of the systems. This thread was immeasurably helpful. I can tell I still have a lot more to learn too.

It's a good game but you should definitely not listen to whoever told you that and you should definitely play on speed 5. Save 3 for wars

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GlitchThief posted:

You have done what I have never been able to do with over 400 hours logged on CK2 since launch day: finish a grand campaign.

One day... :smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

OK, this is weird. I used the console to force-convert the religion of the county to Catholic, then upgraded the holding to feudal. Now there's a castle, a church and a city. I create vassals for the church and city. I then hand out the county to someone--he STILL becomes a Prince-Bishop even though he does not hold a church, he holds a castle.

This is a bug, right?

Yea, this has been happening to me for a while; sometimes they just end up as lord-mayors or prince-bishops and it doesn't seem like there's anything you can do about it. Even revoking the church title doesn't always work, nor does making the caste the capital.

Annoying, especially in ironman when you can't just use set_government >: [

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

current Letland ironmayne status: hell yeah holy war owns, just conquered Norway and Sweden through it

Just need to spread the faith to a few more places and save up dosh/prestige for an empire. If not a custom empire, I still need 13 more provinces for Scandinavia.

Either way Suomi has to go, because those fuckers have been a pain in my rear end since day one.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Drone posted:

You have done what I have never been able to do with over 400 hours logged on CK2 since launch day: finish a grand campaign.

One day... :smith:

I have to admit, I was kind of wondering how common that sort of thing is among dedicated CK2 players. It doesn't really prove anything except that I can keep the dynasty alive for about 400 years of gameplay. Except for a close call where I ended up playing as a Queen in a non-matrilineal marriage, that didn't even register as a challenge for me.

I was really hoping to form the Empire of Britannia, but my initial goal was to unite Ireland, so overall I'm happy with the conclusion. Next time I play, though, I think I'd want to attempt something a little more novel,

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GlitchThief posted:

I have to admit, I was kind of wondering how common that sort of thing is among dedicated CK2 players. It doesn't really prove anything except that I can keep the dynasty alive for about 400 years of gameplay. Except for a close call where I ended up playing as a Queen in a non-matrilineal marriage, that didn't even register as a challenge for me.

I was really hoping to form the Empire of Britannia, but my initial goal was to unite Ireland, so overall I'm happy with the conclusion. Next time I play, though, I think I'd want to attempt something a little more novel,

Novel or hard?

King of Navarra in 1066 is a start I've always wanted to do. Turn Iberia into Basque culture :getin: But probably hard as balls.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Maybe a little of both. From my point of view, forming the Empire of Britannia qualifies as hard, but I do not relish the idea of going through the process of fabricating claims, pressing claims, fabricating again, etc. etc. until I have Ireland and Scotland under my control. I guess I could just start as the King of England, that would probably give me a bit of a head start.

The other thing is I now have a handful of DLC to try, so I'm no longer limited to Catholic play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GlitchThief posted:

The other thing is I now have a handful of DLC to try, so I'm no longer limited to Catholic play.

Oh, in that case, play a Norse pagan. I had a giant smile on my face when I got The Old Gods right at release and how much fun it was to raid.

You could also form (Norse) Britannia as Jorvik.

• Locked thread