Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
She's someone who was considered a failure and we're shown during the preliminaries that despite her talent for the culinary arts, the high pressure environment of Tootsuki really brought her down which to me is a relatable feeling; that being, while you may have capabilities, insecurity can cripple you and make you feel like poo poo especially when everyone else around you seems way more talented, put-together, and you yourself can't meet expectations. Megumi's the one character in this series who we see starting at her lowest, but begins to climb upwards, showing that she's got real cooking skills to contend with that can only get better from here even when she got knocked out of the finals.

That's why I think she's interesting and holds up well as a character for this cooking manga, tyvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
People love a good underdog story.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
She also has a cool Stand.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

(is there some label for earnest characters who are always trying their best?)

"Ganbariya" is a word for those people. Not sure it's a "label" in the anime trope sense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pewdiepie posted:

Who's the biggest jobber in this manga?

Aldini, I'd think. He's presented as being Soma's "rival" but he's pretty clearly not even on the same level in terms of basically anything.

As for Tadokoro chat, my biggest problem with the character is that we got a "stop being a sidekick" arc 30 chapters in, but she's still a 100% sidekick character. The typical shonen handwave of "well she's in love with Soma" doesn't even work because the entirety of her development on that front is a panel where she's blushing in that one chapter like a year ago. She's just a sidekick who's apparently okay with it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 2, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Everyone is Soma's sidekick she is just the best one.

Except Alice because Akira and Ryo are her sidekicks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Akira thinks he's his weird adoptive-mom's sidekick, but something tells me he's going to get stuck as being Alice's unwilling sidekick. I'm pretty sure each of those two hot-blooded guys at Polar Star think that the other is the sidekick.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Angry Grimace posted:

Aldini, I'd think. He's presented as being Soma's "rival" but he's pretty clearly not even on the same level in terms of basically anything.

Aldini's only a rival in his own mind, that's the joke. Soma's real rival is Akira as he's the only person that's a threat to Soma without being actively antagonistic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Akira and Ryo are basically equals, as far as rivals go. I guess you'd say it's a three-way rivalry. Of course, the tournament arc made a big deal of the fact that neither of them consider Soma to be their rival, on account of him not having magical fish powers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

Aldini's only a rival in his own mind, that's the joke. Soma's real rival is Akira as he's the only person that's a threat to Soma without being actively antagonistic.

Did Soma actually do better than Ryo in the competition? I forget if they ranked all three of them or if they just chose a winner. If the latter, then there's nothing really saying that Soma is better than Ryo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Did Soma actually do better than Ryo in the competition? I forget if they ranked all three of them or if they just chose a winner. If the latter, then there's nothing really saying that Soma is better than Ryo.

They just selected Hayama as the winner and that's it. Ryou argued he came in second and Soma came in third, but his argument kind of sucked on the grounds that Soma actually won his semi-final round and Ryou didn't.

Soma has a lot more accomplishments, but in fairness we don't actually see what Kurokiba and Akira are actually doing - Soma got an item on the menu of a restaurant that has Michelin stars, but we didn't even see Akira or Ryou's stagiare much at all. They sucked at the Festival, but that was mostly Alice's fault (it was also Alice's fault they recovered).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 2, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Elite 10 could benefit greatly with having a molecular gastronomist in their ranks

She's probably poo poo at business though

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The Elite 10 could benefit greatly with having a molecular gastronomist in their ranks

Well yeah, she, Nikumi and Erina are all pretty squarely in the realm of "no common sense."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Half of the Elite 10 are going to graduate next year anyway, so the stars of the first years were always destined for that. I mean, it'd be a huge swerve if she wasn't. I'd say Alice, Ryo and Akira are shoe-ins for the next Elite 10, assuming the story ever actually gets there and/or the whole system doesn't come crashing down first. Frankly Soma's pretty much destined for that too, no matter how much everyone keeps looking at him as an underdog.

Edit: I mean, it's kind of odd for a shounen story to have an untouchable elite group whose members naturally change every year and which the up-and-comers are pretty much guaranteed to get into without any fuss, but as a school organization that's the only way it can work.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Clarste posted:

Half of the Elite 10 are going to graduate next year anyway, so the stars of the first years were always destined for that. I mean, it'd be a huge swerve if she wasn't. I'd say Alice, Ryo and Akira are shoe-ins for the next Elite 10, assuming the story ever actually gets there and/or the whole system doesn't come crashing down first. Frankly Soma's pretty much destined for that too, no matter how much everyone keeps looking at him as an underdog.

Edit: I mean, it's kind of odd for a shounen story to have an untouchable elite group whose members naturally change every year and which the up-and-comers are pretty much guaranteed to get into without any fuss, but as a school organization that's the only way it can work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Azami's existence is a plot device to prevent Soma and his friends from ever making the Council so he can be an underdog until the series is over.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I actually fully agree; she isn't a very interesting character and is pretty cliche. Her personality is basically "is nice" (is there some label for earnest characters who are always trying their best?) and the fact that she tries hard and is good at cooking doesn't really change that. I don't think she's bad or anything (Soma certainly isn't any more interesting), but I have no idea why anyone would think she's one of the more interesting/entertaining characters in the series.

Yeah, she's not a character that actively ruins things and I'm glad that things worked out for her with the Shinomoya thing but I'm not always enthusiastic about her showing up like I am Alice, Hinako or Rindou. She's a fine character on her own and everything but eh, something about her just doesn't entertain me.

Compendium posted:

She's someone who was considered a failure and we're shown during the preliminaries that despite her talent for the culinary arts, the high pressure environment of Tootsuki really brought her down which to me is a relatable feeling; that being, while you may have capabilities, insecurity can cripple you and make you feel like poo poo especially when everyone else around you seems way more talented, put-together, and you yourself can't meet expectations. Megumi's the one character in this series who we see starting at her lowest, but begins to climb upwards, showing that she's got real cooking skills to contend with that can only get better from here even when she got knocked out of the finals.

That's why I think she's interesting and holds up well as a character for this cooking manga, tyvm.

Good points, but I feel like with Erina despite having an understandable reason for why she's like how she is- I'm talking about before we found out her dad basically brainwashed her Pavlovian style- with the whole life being built up all about gourmet food and everything else is worthless now throw it away. It's... ugh, I don't know how to explain what I mean. I understand what the author is getting at with her character but it doesn't really make me like the character that much, y'know? She's still doing a whole lot better recently though, her butchering that monkfish was really cool, for example.

Ah well, I give up, I'm just gonna own up my bad opinion and say that I like Ikumi more than Tadokoro. Also Marui's constant survival in this series continues to shock me.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I have no idea what you're getting at, just that you're talking about Megumi and Erina in the same paragraph.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Megumi is really cool and good and all the times she's gotten serious focus are some of my favourite parts of the manga. She's the type of character who I honestly wouldn't expect to end up getting much significance in other shonen but she's pretty much second to only Soma and she's a lot easier to cheer for than most other characters because she's the only one who is really an underdog. Everyone is basically established as a pro or near to it and she's the one who was constantly shown as not being at their level, but up until the Autumn Tournament she improved herself and managed to be able to stand toe-to-toe with the pros. And that's pretty neat.

She basically gets equal focus with Soma in the Autumn qualifiers and is basically our main character of the B block and honestly her struggles were a lot more compelling than his because Soma's pretty much just competing with Akira for first place and if he loses he'll get another chance to take him on later on in the tournament, while Megumi is fighting to just make it into the top 8 and pass to the next round which means a lot more. Her just barely edging out the competition and making it to the quarterfinals was a good moment and was treated as being really significant which made Megumi seem pretty cool. Her match against Kurokiba in the quarterfinals was also my favourite of those matches. Even if you ignore the stand battle it was just a really good match and them being treated like equal competitors meant a lot because she was bottom of the class at the start of the series and he was at the same level as Soma and Alice. So it showed her development really well even though she lost.

Basically Megumi is cool and is involved in cool things so I like her a bunch.

RareAcumen posted:

Ah well, I give up, I'm just gonna own up my bad opinion and say that I like Ikumi more than Tadokoro. Also Marui's constant survival in this series continues to shock me.

What's wrong with Marui?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Angry Grimace posted:

They just selected Hayama as the winner and that's it. Ryou argued he came in second and Soma came in third, but his argument kind of sucked on the grounds that Soma actually won his semi-final round and Ryou didn't.

On the other hand, Ryou at least tied once against the eventual winner of the tournament, whereas Souma technically lost to Hayama twice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What's wrong with Marui?

Literally just what it says on the tin. I'm amazed he hasn't died yet. Each new event that passes I'm just waiting on him being a skeleton wearing his glasses and school uniform.

Compendium posted:

I have no idea what you're getting at, just that you're talking about Megumi and Erina in the same paragraph.

Ergh, I knew this would happen. Basically, I think Megumi's cool but she's not my favorite female character in the manga but I don't actively dislike her or anything. She's done well on paper and there's nothing to intensely dislike about her like Erina, what with her being surrounded by more interesting characters than her, but I don't really feel that strongly about her as a character. I won't deny that she's had a great character arc. That's the gist of what I'm getting at.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 3, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Okay, that makes more sense.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What's wrong with Marui?

Smash cut to a bleached white skeleton.

e:fb

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While it's nice to have a good discussion about what constitutes a well-rounded character beyond the goof-abouts that makes us smile, I thought we had gotten a new chapter already. You fucks need to quit playing games with my heart. :mad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Well yeah, she, Nikumi and Erina are all pretty squarely in the realm of "no common sense."

Erina's on the 10 though and part of the criterion is business sense (from what Eizan said) which she doesn't seem to obviously lack. Same with Meat, though she's not in the 10.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

On the other hand, Ryou at least tied once against the eventual winner of the tournament, whereas Souma technically lost to Hayama twice.

Not really. They set up that at Shokugeki he would have beaten Hayama in there prelims 3-2.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Erina's on the 10 though and part of the criterion is business sense (from what Eizan said) which she doesn't seem to obviously lack. Same with Meat, though she's not in the 10.

Hasn't Erina been making money as both an advisor and connoisseur/taster since she was like 8 or 9?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ikumi at least has a skewed sense of expense (remember her proposal to sell A5 meat to Souma 'cheap' for the Karaage arc) but it's not particularly problematic since her focus is high-end cuisine anyways.
Erina, as far as we can tell, has no particular issues regarding money.
Alice is totally wacked tho. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She does have all those patents, though.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Erina has to barrow her shojo manga.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Elfgames posted:

Erina has to barrow her shojo manga.
Can you imagine her going to buy those things? :v:

Wark Say posted:

She does have all those patents, though.
Yeah but that could've been set up by her parents and after that it's basically fire and forget.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New Shokugeki is out, and Eizan continues to provide amazing faces.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
That's a real good chapter.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am hype to find out what's in that poo poo.

On the scale of foodgasms, does full-body paralysis top clothesplosions?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't like this Shokugeki so far, and its mostly because all we're seeing is that Soma is Super Shonen Man™ and just Leeroy Jenkinsing his way through despite the fact that judges are rigged and don't want to eat the food. Just making food so delicious they can't resist and taunting them to get them fired up would all well and good if Soma actually knew anything about that or why it would be effective. Instead, we've established he doesn't know poo poo about either of them and it just worked because his food is so super awesome.

Imagine if Soma showed up to the Election finals and just said "my ingredient selection is vastly inferior to the other two competitors but I just made a super better dish to compensate so its competitive." But that would have been dumb, so instead he analyzed his opponent's strengths and determined he couldn't beat them with a straight up dish and found an alternative preparation that would overcome his inability to select the best ingredients.

This is the cooking equivalent of Natsu breathing even more fire to beat a fire-resistant guy.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't like this Shokugeki so far, and its mostly because all we're seeing is that Soma is Super Shonen Man™ and just Leeroy Jenkinsing his way through despite the fact that judges are rigged and don't want to eat the food. Just making food so delicious they can't resist and taunting them to get them fired up would all well and good if Soma actually knew anything about that or why it would be effective. Instead, we've established he doesn't know poo poo about either of them and it just worked because his food is so super awesome.

Imagine if Soma showed up to the Election finals and just said "my ingredient selection is vastly inferior to the other two competitors but I just made a super better dish to compensate so its competitive." But that would have been dumb, so instead he analyzed his opponent's strengths and determined he couldn't beat them with a straight up dish and found an alternative preparation that would overcome his inability to select the best ingredients.

This is the cooking equivalent of Natsu breathing even more fire to beat a fire-resistant guy.

you do realize that in the last chapter the main character said "And now i'll show you my(food's) true form" this manga never pretended to be anything but pure shonen

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I wanna eat that chicken skin gyoza

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honestly I don't think that gyouza sounds very tasty. Parmesan cheese, really? Then again, I don't really like most dishes that involve a significant amount of cheese.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm pretty sure Souma glommed onto the fact Eizan is very prideful even if he hides it behind profit motives. Remember Eizan and Souma's first meeting was Eizan being pissy because Souma messed with his karaage business.
From there to what he did now is a deduction away. All he had to do was get Eizan to eat his cooking. The judges are just toadies.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I think it makes perfect sense for Soma to to take on Eizen at least by attacking his pride and taunting him, and once Eizan gives in it's just thematic for the judges to follow his lead. I also don't think Soma won just due to making something very good-tasting because by the mangas own logic making the best tasting dish doesn't mean anything if you don't follow the criteria for it. So I imagine next chapter Soma will explain his last hidden ingredient and reveal that all along this dish was able to bring out the strongest flavour of the chicken despite using many other ingredients.

Also, Eizen is the best and i'm going to be upset when this shokugeki ends and we no longer get new faces every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elfgames posted:

you do realize that in the last chapter the main character said "And now i'll show you my(food's) true form" this manga never pretended to be anything but pure shonen

Yes I realize this is printed in Weekly Shonen Jump thanks for the meaningful response.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think it makes perfect sense for Soma to to take on Eizen at least by attacking his pride and taunting him, and once Eizan gives in it's just thematic for the judges to follow his lead. I also don't think Soma won just due to making something very good-tasting because by the mangas own logic making the best tasting dish doesn't mean anything if you don't follow the criteria for it. So I imagine next chapter Soma will explain his last hidden ingredient and reveal that all along this dish was able to bring out the strongest flavour of the chicken despite using many other ingredients.

Also, Eizen is the best and i'm going to be upset when this shokugeki ends and we no longer get new faces every week.

It makes sense if he knew about it. The fact that his personality just happened to be a foil just makes it so Soma stumbled into the key to beating him. He didn't actually do anything but show up and do what he always does. Sure, it's super shonen hot-blooded determinator stuff, but its not actually interesting, and saying "well shonen sucks sometimes" is kind of a non-response since they've had a decent explanation for why and how Soma won in pretty much every other match.

It's not too late to turn it around, but they already established Soma didn't know poo poo about either Eizan or the judges.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 4, 2015