Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
stealing a cruise ship would be incredibly rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
So what's the current best exp heist? Every time I get tired of strolling through the game and decide to infamy it's only fun till about level 70, then the grind begins.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
technically overdrill

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Rats with full loot is pretty good.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've been wanting to get into this game for a while now but always got sidetracked with other games. I'm about to take the dive - if I pick up the GOTY edition on Steam, what other essentials do I need to get the most out of the game/have fun with Goons?

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
Gage Mod Courier is an absolute must. After playing the game a bit, definitely spring for a weapon DLC pack that corresponds to your favorite play style.

e: also, definitely don't buy the multiple DLC's that are currently glitched out and displaying at 50 bucks a pop.

e2: oh, you're buying GOTY. You don't need anything else for now.

e3: but what you should do is wait for the Steam Winter Sale, Payday 2 goes on discount every sale, and like 4 times between every sale.

King Gonorrhea fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 2, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

King Gonorrhea posted:

e: also, definitely don't buy the multiple DLC's that are currently glitched out and displaying at 50 bucks a pop.

Clicking through on those DLCs shows that its just displaying the MSRP of the GOTY edition. Not a "glitch", but not the clearest way to present the fact that "this content is part of the game purchase itself"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Afraid of Audio posted:

technically overdrill

in terms of xp/time I don't think it is actually

that's right, Overdrill needs to be buffed :laugh:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
GOTY has a cutoff point so you'll also need Samurai for Grandpa Jiro, Ninja if you want puke weapons and stealth nades, Cowboy if you want some Single Action Army and western weapons, BBQ is essential because fire is a game changer, Golden Grin mostly for the buzzer so you can taze tazers, OVERKILL if you want to bring the boom like Sykic and Sokol for crime baby and grinder. The rest can be waited on for sales, but buy what you want.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Furious Mittens posted:

I've been wanting to get into this game for a while now but always got sidetracked with other games. I'm about to take the dive - if I pick up the GOTY edition on Steam, what other essentials do I need to get the most out of the game/have fun with Goons?

Did you take a look at the list in the OP?

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Furious Mittens posted:

The GOTY has all the basics and then some (all paid DLC up to and including Clover pack). you might want to wait for the Christmas sale, as it was just on 75% sale over thanksgiving. Keep in mind that the Jacket pack is given when you buy Hotline Miami 2 deluxe edition IIRC. You can join heists you don't own, so you can try them out.

Outside the GOTY, I like the ninja pack, the SMG and sniper are really good, and the overkill RPG is a real winner.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

There's also the strategy of just buy everything because more guns is more funs.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shadowed Bacon posted:

The GOTY has all the basics and then some (all paid DLC up to and including Clover pack). you might want to wait for the Christmas sale, as it was just on 75% sale over thanksgiving. Keep in mind that the Jacket pack is given when you buy Hotline Miami 2 deluxe edition IIRC. You can join heists you don't own, so you can try them out.

Outside the GOTY, I like the ninja pack, the SMG and sniper are really good, and the overkill RPG is a real winner.

Nice. This (and the other replies) are exactly what I was looking for. I think I may end up getting it outside of the sale, just because I've been looking into it for so long and I've got the itch to play.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The BBQ pack is the single greatest piece of DLC that isn't in the GOTY bundle. The flamethrower is the best weapon in the game and has only gotten better with the crimefest rebalance.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Explosionface posted:

There's also the strategy of just buy everything because more guns is more funs.

Yeah, at this point, the only DLC that doesn't have anything especially wonderful is the Historical pack. I love it because I am a 'tard for that era of firearms, but the Sterling, MG42, and C96 got left behind. The Mosin's still fun on a bun, but

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

The BBQ pack is the single greatest piece of DLC that isn't in the GOTY bundle. The flamethrower is the best weapon in the game and has only gotten better with the crimefest rebalance.

It's true. It used to seem like real garbage, but it is undeniably excellent and very DW-viable right now. It also shoots fire and that is Good.

Even Dragon's Breath ammo, while lackluster, can feel pretty satisfying. Wear a BBQ hat and cook cops every day.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, at this point, the only DLC that doesn't have anything especially wonderful is the Historical pack. I love it because I am a 'tard for that era of firearms, but the Sterling, MG42, and C96 got left behind. The Mosin's still fun on a bun, but

But the MG42 is pretty good now? Since bipods make all LMGs have the same accuracy/stability, the Buzzsaw's higher rate of fire really shines.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
man they hosed this game up good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, with LMGs finally having a true defined purpose of bipod down and hold a point, I'd say the MG42 Buzzsaw is the King of LMGs with its focused DPS.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Piglet got a huge buff too since they made its accuracy near perfect. Really the only loser in the new meta is now the Steakout, which got better in the beta but they still need to tweak it more.

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, with LMGs finally having a true defined purpose of bipod down and hold a point, I'd say the MG42 Buzzsaw is the King of LMGs with its focused DPS.

It is. The only thing we've really lost is the ease with which you can hose down a Dozer's face at point blank due to the massive recoil that every LMG has when not deployed with a bipod. The Mosin Nagant is as good as it ever was, and the C96 was never really that good to begin with. The Patchett got destroyed in the new balance though.

I hope the new sniper rifle is not just a Rattlesnake clone but it might be going from the similar model, animations and re-used sound effects.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh

UnknownMercenary posted:

I hope the new sniper rifle is not just a Rattlesnake clone but it might be going from the similar model, animations and re-used sound effects.

There's no way it'll be better than the leben right? right? a guy can hope.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It will probably have the power to back up Almir's words of "potentially kill anything in one hit" so it might be a slightly weaker Thanatos. I mean, why not give it the power to make good on that headshot animation for Tazers?

But even if I'm wrong I'll still be sort of right because every other sniper rifle is just a weaker Thanatos in some degree.:v:

EDIT: And there went my 100%. 10 new achievements for the new heists. It is a hot day My Friend, to burden your horse with such a heavy purse.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 2, 2015

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

that's right, Overdrill needs to be buffed :laugh:

put a forklift in the overvault

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

ClonedPickle posted:

all of my money

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ClonedPickle posted:

Put in two of them for duels.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Crabtree posted:

GOTY has a cutoff point so you'll also need Samurai for Grandpa Jiro, Ninja if you want puke weapons and stealth nades, Cowboy if you want some Single Action Army and western weapons, BBQ is essential because fire is a game changer, Golden Grin mostly for the buzzer so you can taze tazers, OVERKILL if you want to bring the boom like Sykic and Sokol for crime baby and grinder. The rest can be waited on for sales, but buy what you want.

Cowboy weapons all blow really really bad now. It might be the worst dlc.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Afraid of Audio posted:

stealing a cruise ship would be incredibly rad

At that point we'd just need a Keanu character pack...

We'd need to steal a phone booth, too. Possibly the trophy for the 32nd century sit up champion, as well.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I hope they add a shoe bomb as a throwable to go along with the box cutter.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
What does the new perk deck do exactly? I can't find a breakdown on here, reddit, or the official site.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

clockworkjoe posted:

What does the new perk deck do exactly? I can't find a breakdown on here, reddit, or the official site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKo8fFv7x5E

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I think that's a pretty dang cool mechanic, on paper. Now all we have to see is how it plays out.

Also, anyone who wants to trade a payday con mask (or two) for the upcoming Point Break heists, let me know. I have the masks, you have the second copy of the heists. I gotta get rid of these things.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The historical pack is great for people who don't get the GOTY edition since it has one of basically everything you get from other DLCs. If you didn't have any other DLC, it gave you the option to use a sniper, a LMG, and grenades.

Since we now have a free LMG and sniper rifle, it's lost a bit of its luster.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bbcisdabomb posted:

The historical pack is great for people who don't get the GOTY edition since it has one of basically everything you get from other DLCs. If you didn't have any other DLC, it gave you the option to use a sniper, a LMG, and grenades.

Since we now have a free LMG and sniper rifle, it's lost a bit of its luster.

Historical pack doesn't give you grenades, the potato masher is a melee weapon.

I really hope the new sniper is in the same tier with the Nagant and R96. I don't need another worthless bolt-action light sniper.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Perfect Line seems of limited utility, but the general HP banking seems like it could be really great. A lot will depend on its specific balancing, though.

King Gonorrhea posted:

So what's the current best exp heist? Every time I get tired of strolling through the game and decide to infamy it's only fun till about level 70, then the grind begins.

Aftershock is surprisingly good, with 1.x million for 15 minutes on overkill. I advise using HoxBreak (which continues to be the best per heist value), election day stealth rush (which nets you 1.x million XP and a 20% stealth boost), and hoxbreak for excellent returns.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr Cheeto posted:

I really hope the new sniper is in the same tier with the Nagant and R96. I don't need another worthless bolt-action light sniper.

We'll see what kind of :overkill: they come up with, but based on what the preview said I think it's likely to be an R93/Nagant-alike. Unless they're jettisoning their entire rebalance already that's the only real tier it can fit into and still do what was claimed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Repeater is still pretty decent if you install the BLT mod that fixes its ironsights. Shame about the Lebensauger though, and the Rattlesnake is a joke even with its boosted damage.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dr Cheeto posted:

poo poo, I was thinking of the dynamite :downs:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Repeater is still pretty decent if you install the BLT mod that fixes its ironsights. Shame about the Lebensauger though, and the Rattlesnake is a joke even with its boosted damage.

Potentially controversial opinion, but the strength of the DMR weapons, particular the M308, makes sniper rifles a lot less appealing, IMO. I mean, sure, they can't penetrate shields, but they absolutely devastate every other enemy and have excellent fire rates.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Potentially controversial opinion, but the strength of the DMR weapons, particular the M308, makes sniper rifles a lot less appealing, IMO. I mean, sure, they can't penetrate shields, but they absolutely devastate every other enemy and have excellent fire rates.

This is true. I'd take the post-rebalance M308 over a 160-damage sniper any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I like Bodhi's mask but if it was a reagan mask with clown paint haphazardly slapped over it it would be the best mask in the entire game hands down