Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
On my re-read I made it to Bonehunters before I had to skip ahead some of opening chapter poetry and the philosophical ramblings of some characters.

Really interested in how Toll the Hounds goes, especially after reading Forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Man do I love the malazanempire forums :)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hand Row posted:

On my re-read I made it to Bonehunters before I had to skip ahead some of opening chapter poetry and the philosophical ramblings of some characters.

Really interested in how Toll the Hounds goes, especially after reading Forge.

Yeah that's about when it gets obnoxious, although it is interesting when you notice the opening poetry is by a character introduced later.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, Pearl was great. It was nice to see a stylish bad guy - or someone genuinely likeable who just happens to be on the "wrong" side. His parts were some of my favorite bits in DH/HoC/BH.
You generally don't expect assassins to be funny but really grew on me, to the point where I was genuinely sorry for him by the end of his arc.

I liked the other Pearl better.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
"Do you see the one in the back with the sword? You send me to my death. Do you pity me?"

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 1, 2015

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Clinton1011 posted:

"Do you see the on in the back with the sword? You send me to my death. Do you pity me?"

I kinda felt bad for Pearl. That demon was cool. All the demons were really.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
That scene with the demon was pretty awesome. Even he knew he was hosed.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
That scene sort of solidified how terrifying Rake can be for some reason.

I might go so far as to say that after several failed starts on Malazan, whole sequence with QB/Kalam and that finale had me going "OK, this book just got awesome. Now I've gotta read it all."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

transworld posted:

It was once a land ravaged by war, minor city states, baronies and principates fight for supremacy, and then the rival cities of Tali and Quon formed an alliance and so Quon Tali came into being.

However that was generations ago, that dynasty has collapsed and the regional powers are now clawing at each others throats once more. But at the heart of Quon Tali lies the powerful city state of Li Heng which has for centuries enjoyed relative stability under the guidance of the powerful sorceress known as the “Protectress”. She is not someone likely to tolerate the arrival of two particular young men into her domain: one is determined to prove he is the most skilled assassin of his age; the other is his quarry - a Dal Hon mage who is proving annoyingly difficult to kill. The sorceress and her cabal of five mage servants were enough to repel the Quon Tali Iron Legions, so how could two such trouble-makers upset her iron-fisted rule?

And now, under a new and ambitious king, the forces of Itko Kan are marching on Li Heng from the south. His own assassins, the Nightblades, have been sent ahead into the city, and rumours abound that he has inhuman, nightmarish forces at his command. So as shadows and mistrust swirl and monstrous beasts that people say appear from nowhere, run rampage through Li Heng's streets, it seems chaos is come - but in chaos, as a certain young Dal Hon mage would say, there is opportunity . . .

That blurb could have used a bit of copy editing imo. e: drops in Feb.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Christ, I had hoped he stopped.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I Own Soulz posted:

I kinda felt bad for Pearl. That demon was cool. All the demons were really.

Isn't Pearl the one with Trull?

Yeah, demons are probably one of those things I wish Erikson would write more about.
But it also feels like more generic fantasy, and maybe that is why they don't show up a lot.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Eh, I liked Assail enough to give this one a go. Plus, there will be no Kyle.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Why is it Dancer's Lament if the main blurb is about Kalam and Quick Ben (and Ben's extra 6 souls) pre-Bridgeburner adventures?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Eh? It's about Dancer and Kellanved.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Cardiac posted:

Isn't Pearl the one with Trull?

Just finished my reread of MT; the one with Trull is Lilac.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

rejutka posted:

Eh? It's about Dancer and Kellanved.
Spooky how similar it is to Kalam/QB then.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Very likely a nod to the series' RPG origins.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

anilEhilated posted:

Christ, I had hoped he stopped.

:laffo:

Concurred posted:

Trull and his demon was a missed buddy story opportunity imho. It was too short.

Infinite Karma posted:

Spooky how similar it is to Kalam/QB then.

... yeah. The blurb is saying Dancer is an up and coming assassin and has been hunting Kellanved. I remember that part of Kalam/QB's history. The part that's similar is it's a mage and an assassin.

anilEhilated posted:

Very likely a nod to the series' RPG origins.

If this turns out like Feist's Jimmy the Hand books, which read like actual logs from a D&D game... I'll proably still get it. Even if it's B-grade author I'm curious enough about how Dancer/Kellanved fell in love. I thought the thing was the two started out of a tavern in Malaz city, but I'm thinking book this predates that.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Tommofork posted:

how Dancer/Kellanved fell in love.

Wait, what? Did I somehow miss some gay subtext

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I meant platonic love bud. Unless I also missed some subtext.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm fine with Esslemont writing the prequel Empire books, it frees up Erikson to write stories in more interesting eras. ICE's series is sort of a gap-filler for the series, he's been getting better at capturing the Malazan vibe of late. I thought BnB was great for what it was, Assail was a letdown mostly just because of how much the main series had hyped it up.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Assail is also the book that most reads like a straight-forward transcription of a campaign.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, demons are probably one of those things I wish Erikson would write more about.
But it also feels like more generic fantasy, and maybe that is why they don't show up a lot.

Demons in this setting aren't evil outsiders trying to steal your soul, so no they aren't very generic. Literally they're beings from another planet, or plane, or warren or whatever. It's a very generic term in the setting, which is why they're so cool, because they deliberately upset the expectations of the reader when they hear 'demon.'

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah, the big scary demons standing well above man height carrying huge axes being the equivalent of poor fisher folk conscripted into war was great.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Greyfrog was cool too.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Baudin posted:

Demons in this setting aren't evil outsiders trying to steal your soul, so no they aren't very generic. Literally they're beings from another planet, or plane, or warren or whatever. It's a very generic term in the setting, which is why they're so cool, because they deliberately upset the expectations of the reader when they hear 'demon.'

Personally I love the Kenryll'ah demon lords (or wherever the apostrophe is) in MT and RG.
As in generic, I am talking about how they are described in GotM, DG and MT (first part at least), where you get the feeling that they are just big classic demons and then MT turns it all around.

Concurred posted:

Thanks, had forgotten that.
I really liked the Trull - Lilac pairing in MT and is one of many many great parts of MT.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tommofork posted:

:laffo:

Trull and his demon was a missed buddy story opportunity imho. It was too short.

... yeah. The blurb is saying Dancer is an up and coming assassin and has been hunting Kellanved. I remember that part of Kalam/QB's history. The part that's similar is it's a mage and an assassin.

If this turns out like Feist's Jimmy the Hand books, which read like actual logs from a D&D game... I'll proably still get it. Even if it's B-grade author I'm curious enough about how Dancer/Kellanved fell in love. I thought the thing was the two started out of a tavern in Malaz city, but I'm thinking book this predates that.

Poor Feist. The first four books were pretty good, even with the obvious nods to a Certain Author. Prince of the Blood was so-so, but an enjoyable read. After that it was just :stare:

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Poor Feist. The first four books were pretty good, even with the obvious nods to a Certain Author. Prince of the Blood was so-so, but an enjoyable read. After that it was just :stare:

I really enjoyed the 3 Serpentwar books, he totally destroyed another city, how can you not like that! The Empire trilogy was very good also.

Regarding Esslemont, its really not a good sign that I grimaced a little on seeing that he has another on the way. His last couple of books were bloody awful and I really could do without any more of his particular brand of fan-fic.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

bucketybuck posted:

Regarding Esslemont, its really not a good sign that I grimaced a little on seeing that he has another on the way. His last couple of books were bloody awful and I really could do without any more of his particular brand of fan-fic.

Don't read his books then? Clearly the people who like his books form a fairly small niche of Erikson fans. Sadly I'm one of them :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't really call it fan-fic when he's one of the people who invented the bloody thing. Still, a man who managed to make Jacuruku and Assail boring probably deserves a stab at Kellanved, if only as a challenge.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
He gets better each book and, in the new one, gets to write his own character, Dr Wu Kellanved. I'm looking forward to that.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

rejutka posted:

He gets better each book and, in the new one, gets to write his own character, Dr Wu Kellanved. I'm looking forward to that.

I know you've gone on the record as having enjoyed Assail, but it was a serious step back from Blood & Bone in my eyes. Hopefully the Kellanved stuff will be tolerable, cause lord knows I won't be able to resist reading it.

E: I guess since it's called "Path to Ascendancy" series, ICE won't be able to keep himself from delving into more detail about what it means to ascend and how to do it. I hope he doesn't ruin the mystique behind ascendants.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 4, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Same.

We know already it will be a trilogy covering from where this book starts presumably till night of knives.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Oh neat we might get to see young Daseem Ultor, Nok, etc.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

apophenium posted:

I know you've gone on the record as having enjoyed Assail, but it was a series step back from Blood & Bone in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, there's a bunch of stuff I don't like about Assail, too - the blatant campaignitis, the heavy fluctuations of the Crimson Guard's basic power levels, that town people keep stopping in with the mist and doofy henchguys to name a few. On the other hand, I dug the rag bag armada on the Dread Sea. The Sea of Dread. I dug Kyle keeping his sword out of other people's hands because they kept lopping bits of themselves with it and the bit at the end with JESUS loving CHRIST DO NOT WAKE UP THE ASSAIL!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

apophenium posted:

I know you've gone on the record as having enjoyed Assail, but it was a series step back from Blood & Bone in my eyes. Hopefully the Kellanved stuff will be tolerable, cause lord knows I won't be able to resist reading it.

E: I guess since it's called "Path to Ascendancy" series, ICE won't be able to keep himself from delving into more detail about what it means to ascend and how to do it. I hope he doesn't ruin the mystique behind ascendants.
Ascendants will explicitly be RPG prestige classes by the time he's done w/ them

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Started House of Chains. God drat are the Teblor a bunch of savages.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
hm finally finished tcg. wasnt a huge fan of the last 3 books. also tcg ending was pretty anticlimactic. i was hoping the grander scheme wouldve been explained. a lot of sideplots were completed by just killing the characters off. the 2nd one is probably the best on in the series.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I just finished House of Chains.

So, this Karsa Orlong guy.... he's going places, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Damo posted:

I just finished House of Chains.

So, this Karsa Orlong guy.... he's going places, isn't he?

You might say that. He gets even better.