Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Delivery McGee posted:

Not sure which thread I should post it in, but I came across this just now and had to share. Decided on this one because while the idea seems solid, the guy seems a bit unhinged. Dude wants to make a turbine/electric-powered LLV replacement. Because a jet will run on anything, so it solves our reliance on oil/is better for the environment!

I'm pretty sure he's missed a few reasons why turbine-powered cars and alternative fuels never really took off. As far as I know, the failure of the former wasn't because of torque issues (that's why he thinks turbine cars failed, and his is better because it's a turboshaft turning a generator to run electric motors, I'm pretty sure there's a reason that's not common outside emergency backup generators either -- didn't they try it on locomotives once?).

Way to bury the lead guy

quote:

The Green Long Life Vehicle will look like the LLV or KubVan. It will be a small low floor step van the size of a KubVan or a little larger than the LLV. The same platform can be used to make SUV models in 4x4 and 6x6 that can be unsinkable and amphibious

A turbine electric amphibious mail truck is my new brown diesel station wagon, FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Delivery McGee posted:

Apparently they use J57s in backup gensets for exactly the opposite reason, amusingly -- diesel gensets take a good ten minutes to warm up before you can load them, a jet is at 90-something % throttle and ready for more the instant it fires. (Source: that jet mechanic on youtube, I forget which video.)

I've worked in plenty of places with diesel gensets, if they're in good shape they're generally online in less than 15 seconds (this is assuming a reasonably large 3 phase unit). If they have to crank a few times, maybe 30-45 seconds. And that's if you've really neglected them; even ancient ones are supposed to self-test (which causes them to start up and run for at least 5-10 minutes) a few times a month. Yeah, running up to full speed immediately after starting isn't GOOD for an engine, but it's the norm for a generator. And let's face it, how much use is a backup generator going to see outside of built-in testing? In an area with decent power, it might be needed a couple of times a year, and usually for maybe an hour or three at a time.

I know drat well that the last grocery store I worked in never did anything related to maintenance on their Kohler set (roof mount), and it always had the most basic lights on (plus the automatic doors working, exit signs lit up, and very basic refrigeration going) within 15 seconds. It would run for a few minutes after the power came back on to cool off, I assume. The control panel was tucked away in a corner, with a constant beeping coming from it, but management didn't care enough to bother maintaining it (plus, well, the whole "it's on the drat roof" part).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 26, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The gensets for our data center (we have two, both able to handle about 2x the max load the data center can draw, plus the emergency stuff for the rest of the building) go from off & cold to 100% output in about 15 seconds, or so I'm told. The UPS systems in the data center can run the data center at full output for about 18 minutes.

In the 5 years I've been at this building, I'm only aware of 3 times they've come on outside of testing, and one of those was when some idiot crashed into a pole and the power companies systems failed to reset and re-route the power properly after the circuit breakers tripped from the downed lines.

Also, I always knew we had a lot of fiber coming into the building, but I found out a while back that each client actually brings their own redundant fiber into the building, in addition to our own main company redundant fiber links for our internal networks, and connections upstream to our vendors. So apparently we have over 140 (or more) separate fiber connections into the building from each side (physically redundant links so that a cut theoretically doesn't take out anything). Would suck a lot to be a contractor that dug across our parking lot and took out one of those sets of conduits.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Ultimately you're taking an engine that is designed to be run for tens of thousands of hours and running it for maybe a thousand over it's lifetime. I doubt the extra wear matters.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, we've got six 2MW diesel generators at work. They're ready for full load in about 15 seconds from a "cold" start - not that it's ever truly cold in AZ, but they still have heaters to keep the coolant warmish even in the winter. They fire up quickly every time, though it's been extremely rare that we've ever needed them outside of maintenance and testing.

Unlike the rooftop unit STR dealt with, though, these things get maintained on an extremely regular basis. They actually make it a competition to see who gets their generator the cleanest.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I would guess the reason the military uses J57 powered generators is they have an utter fuckton of the drat things and I seem to recall they like to use jet fuel to power everything because its simple from a logistics standpoint.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Way to bury the lead guy

"Lede" :eng101:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geoj posted:

I would guess the reason the military uses J57 powered generators is they have an utter fuckton of the drat things and I seem to recall they like to use jet fuel to power everything because its simple from a logistics standpoint.

Personally have repaired a fuel pressure regulator on one of those with a bic pen spring. gently caress those generators.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh man, AGE gensets are the worst. They all leak, are absolute garbage, and the motors are in an extremely poor state.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unlike the rooftop unit STR dealt with, though, these things get maintained on an extremely regular basis. They actually make it a competition to see who gets their generator the cleanest.

To be fair, that was a grocery store genset. Nothing in a grocery store gets maintained until it breaks.

The Locator posted:

Also, I always knew we had a lot of fiber coming into the building, but I found out a while back that each client actually brings their own redundant fiber into the building, in addition to our own main company redundant fiber links for our internal networks, and connections upstream to our vendors. So apparently we have over 140 (or more) separate fiber connections into the building from each side (physically redundant links so that a cut theoretically doesn't take out anything). Would suck a lot to be a contractor that dug across our parking lot and took out one of those sets of conduits.

Sounds a lot like the Infomart, aside from one power cut being able to take out the power.

quote:

The building's hospital-grade electrical power is supplied by 4 independent electric feeds and six in-building transformer substations, providing a very reliable source. More than 16 fiber providers have a physical presence at the Infomart, allowing 8,700 strands of fiber into the building with bandwidth capacity near 26 trillion bytes per second. :stonk:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 27, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's a hell of a lot of fiber and bandwidth. Of course that building houses 110 companies/datacenters, whereas we are just a single small 2-story building and a single company (and not the giant HQ which is back east).

With the UPS's and gen-sets, it really doesn't make economical sense for our company to pay for that sort of a power feed either, given that the power here is extremely reliable, and everything we have in our data center is also fully mirrored at the HQ (all of our stuff is hot/hot on both coasts, and hot/hot redundant within each data center as well), with a third 'disaster recovery' data center in another state that is on warm backup.

Also, I have no idea what this has to do with terrible car stuff anymore, I thought this was the general chat thread. Oops.

Edit: Terrible car stuff - I saw a Honda Civic on the way home tonight (too dark to get a picture, even if I was silly enough to try that while driving down I-10) with the most amazing giant fender flares on the front. I think the entirety of the front tires were actually inside the flares, outside of the car's original fenders. It was.. something.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 27, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Should be on this:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I get a lot of emails from distributors about news and new products and sales and whatever. Today's weekly update from one made me laugh

Also I saw this the other day

bigtorius62 is a real master of graphic design.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jamal posted:

bigtorius62 is a real master of graphic design.

You might say that if graphic design were acting, he'd be Paul Walker.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Paul Walker's dad suing Porsche for his son putting old tires and mods on his Porsche and getting himself killed: terrible car stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Isn't his daughter also suing? Mum next? Second cousin? Neighbour's puppy?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

Paul Walker's dad suing Porsche for his son putting old tires and mods on his Porsche and getting himself killed: terrible car stuff.

Frivolous lawsuits need to die already - deal with the fact your family member did something dumb and reckless and paid the price. Porsche didn't put a loving gun to his head, force him to mod his car, and tell him to break the law and crash. Then again, sounds like daddy cares more about money and attention than anything, says all people need to know about him really.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

CommieGIR posted:

What? It wasnt his car and he wasnt driving.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

He is suing Porsche though, for not having sufficient safety equipment:
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/paul-walkers-father-files-wrongful-death-suit-against-porsche-over-n470381

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

What? It wasnt his car and he wasnt driving.

Again: Why sue Porsche over that?

So what? The car was modified, and had the incorrect tired for the speeds they were going, and the tires were old, making them excessively unsafe.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

They were also driving recklessly on public roads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

The suit says Porsche failed to install an electronic stability control system, which is meant to "protect against" the swerving actions in hypersensitive vehicles, and the vehicle was built with side-door reinforcements "weaker in strength."

The suit also alleges that the car has a defective seat belt design.

Walker's father's lawyers add that the car lacked a breakaway fuel line that would have automatically shut down the fuel flow — and presumably prevented the fire.

I get the feeling that a breakaway fuel line and/or upgraded side intrusion beams wouldn't have helped a lot here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah well if they can argue it "might" have helped it could get them some money. Nothing like turning your dead loved ones into a source of income!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Yeah well if they can argue it "might" have helped it could get them some money. Nothing like turning your dead loved ones into a source of income!

The suit has been thrown out before. It'll likely be thrown out again.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

http://imgur.com/gallery/NwLgc

Car "tips" from imgur. And the followup:

http://imgur.com/gallery/2zQgL

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Been here, done this, got it to work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

What's that the grille to?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CharlesM posted:

What's that the grille to?
Mid 90s oldsmobile cutlass ciera.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cage posted:

Mid 90s oldsmobile cutlass ciera.

I haven't seen a Ciera that pristine in about 20 years.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

stump posted:

Should be on this:

You'll actually find that this car is awesome car stuff.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Seat Safety Switch posted:

...because Audi owners are irredeemable douchebags.

FEELINGS HURTER! :(

Moss chat? I present pnw.jpg:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is that a Celebrity? I figured those were all in junkyards by now. You don't see many 80s cars in the rust belt.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

`Nemesis posted:

Is that a Celebrity? I figured those were all in junkyards by now. You don't see many 80s cars in the rust belt.

It is, well er, was. I took the picture over a year ago so it could be in a junkyard now. Then again, if it survived CFC it may still be on the road and maybe our sapling is on it's way to becoming a tree :3:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Don't gaze too long into the abyss of PO fuckery.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

xzzy posted:

Maybe two months ago(?) when Paul's daughter filed suit, Matt Farah (of Drive / The Smoking Tire) had a few things to say on his podcast. It turns out the lawyer handling the suit had contacted him just after the accident trying to get him to be a witness saying Porsche was negligent. Which he declined, more than once. His impression was that this is a really tragic case of a lawyer exploiting a grieving family.

Porsche didn't really do themselves any favors settling with family of the guys killed at Cal Club / Fontana.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Some days I weep for humanity, other days I laugh at it. This one could go either way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Locator posted:

Some days I weep for humanity, other days I laugh at it. This one could go either way.

I laughed so hard I cried.

It's both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

That's some Project Mayhem level misinformation there.