Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

myron cope posted:

The help desk at my job irritates me. They will gladly open 10 tickets for the same issue instead of using even 1 brain cell to think "huh this seems familiar did I already open 6 of these tickets? Well better keep opening them"

It helps their numbers I guess but it really bothers me. Obviously why caring about raw ticket numbers over actually helping people is a problem. When performance reviews (and bonus/raises/etc) depend on numbers, give them numbers I guess.

Another funny thing is nobody here gives a gently caress about ticket times, they only care if a ticket escalates. They only escalate if you don't respond in a certain amount of time. In theory there's an sla for closing times, but for whatever reason nobody cares about it at all.

I got in a bunch of trouble at my last job that did tickets because my numbers were noticeably lower. The problem was I was tier 3 and took issues that weren't just "needed to add license for device" and were instead "our network drops packets and needs to be analyzed". We had guys that would open a ticket to issue a license for our software to an iPhone, and would end up with 200 tickets a week, where as I had maybe 10. My boss ranted at me about it, and told me I was full of poo poo when I explained that we needed to review the contents of my tickets.

"You spend all day reading linux blogs like 'Hacker Life'". I tried explaining that I was typically trying to figure out how to solve a scripting problem or something weird with FFMPEG but instead he told me that I was this close to being fired.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

myron cope posted:

The help desk at my job irritates me. They will gladly open 10 tickets for the same issue instead of using even 1 brain cell to think "huh this seems familiar did I already open 6 of these tickets? Well better keep opening them"

It helps their numbers I guess but it really bothers me. Obviously why caring about raw ticket numbers over actually helping people is a problem. When performance reviews (and bonus/raises/etc) depend on numbers, give them numbers I guess.

Another funny thing is nobody here gives a gently caress about ticket times, they only care if a ticket escalates. They only escalate if you don't respond in a certain amount of time. In theory there's an sla for closing times, but for whatever reason nobody cares about it at all.

Sounds familiar, except for the caring about escalations part.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I got in a bunch of trouble at my last job that did tickets because my numbers were noticeably lower. The problem was I was tier 3 and took issues that weren't just "needed to add license for device" and were instead "our network drops packets and needs to be analyzed". We had guys that would open a ticket to issue a license for our software to an iPhone, and would end up with 200 tickets a week, where as I had maybe 10. My boss ranted at me about it, and told me I was full of poo poo when I explained that we needed to review the contents of my tickets.

"You spend all day reading linux blogs like 'Hacker Life'". I tried explaining that I was typically trying to figure out how to solve a scripting problem or something weird with FFMPEG but instead he told me that I was this close to being fired.

Ugh.

Why have tier 3 if you expect them to handle as many tickets as tier 1?

If tier 3 is closing 200 tickets a week there's a huge loving problem

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Why have tier 3 if you expect them to handle as many tickets as tier 1?

If tier 3 is closing 200 tickets a week there's a huge loving problem

I've told the story before, but he was fired the next day and I was offered his job.

It was a strange situation. I was brought in to help teach the team networking and linux, but they were completely resistant to the idea of a new senior guy coming in and teaching them, and they weren't easy to work with.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Eikre posted:

Not that I'm saying anything can be done about it, but

Actually this doesn't mean anything for DT. Once mail has been "Delivered" out of the USPS's hands, it's no longer their responsibility. Once it's in the mailroom, it's the responsibility of the company to get it delivered.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This lady just called me up to bitch me out about our business calling her number multiple times today. Someone updated their number incorrectly in the directory and the employee and other person just happen to have the same name. She let out the most bitchy condescending rant I've ever heard condensed into 2 minutes. After I was stunned into silence I finally managed to ask what her number was noticed the discrepancy and updated our directory to fix it. Holy poo poo though the amount of hatred she just unleashed was amazing. I wish I had that skill to go from 0 to crazy foaming at the mouth on the phone, she probably gets poo poo done way fast.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Good news: Our 25 year old company finally has a ticketing system!

Bad news: The company is too cheap to pay for a ticketing system and our CIO has an inexplicable deep mistrust of Spiceworks, so we're using some open source ticketing system I'd never heard of before. Users can't submit tickets and out of our 3 person department, I've closed out >75% of all tickets

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No he's pretty much right. As much as these forums tote suing the pants off your boss as option #1 for any workplace conflict, it will happen maybe 1 out of 10,000 times. And that one time will be settled out of court for way less than anybody expects.

Also, nothing has actually happened to him besides petty manchild bullshit. This happens daily to millions of office workers, and there is no defeating them beyond not letting it affect you.

I meant just be rude back, not sue. Of course that doesn't work.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Actually this doesn't mean anything for DT. Once mail has been "Delivered" out of the USPS's hands, it's no longer their responsibility. Once it's in the mailroom, it's the responsibility of the company to get it delivered.
It's academic at this point because he's already said he's not bothering with it but that's not exactly true. The statute still applies just as it would if we were talking about delivery to a home mailbox.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

beepsandboops posted:

Bad news: The company is too cheap to pay for a ticketing system and our CIO has an inexplicable deep mistrust of Spiceworks, so we're using some open source ticketing system I'd never heard of before. Users can't submit tickets and out of our 3 person department, I've closed out >75% of all tickets

Eh just do it in filemaker.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

Is it basically just a large Google Sheet?

Worst ticketing system I ever had the misfortune of dealing with was a spreadsheet log that got emailed to a boss at the end of the day who then combined it manually to make one "master" sheet which then got emailed back out to all the techs. What a cluster gently caress.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

beepsandboops posted:

What could he possibly have against spiceworks?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Too spicy.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

DigitalMocking posted:

What could he possibly have against spiceworks?
He thinks it's insecure and phones home. I've tried explaining otherwise and I know that Spiceworks has a page explaining its security, but once he's made up his mind that's it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It works.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

beepsandboops posted:

He thinks it's insecure and phones home. I've tried explaining otherwise and I know that Spiceworks has a page explaining its security, but once he's made up his mind that's it.

You could set it up on a network that doesn't have external access at all.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

beepsandboops posted:

so we're using some open source ticketing system I'd never heard of before.
RT?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I honestly don't even know who to be pissed at for this particular issue...

I may have talked about this job before. I am a developer for a fast growing insurance company. A year ago the company switched over from their old mainframe-based system to a new web app that was purchased because higher ups got a very fancy presentation and didn't bother to consult IT about it. The software may be OK for a new insurance company with no old data and who can build their process around it, but really is horrible for a company with years of existing data, but I won't go into all the problems that causes because that isn't my current headache.

Accounting doesn't entirely trust the new system(with good reason somewhat), so all our reporting for auditing purposes is done from our old mainframe system, and all activity has to be moved from the new system to the mainframe system. Even beyond the nightmare of that particular process, whose code I am more or less in charge of fixing bugs in now, is the problem that the old mainframe system was completely transactional: every step of everything that happened was listed as a transaction, with a particular transaction code, etc. The new system is not. So code was written to create a sort of virtual "ledger" database table where we make transaction lines for everything that happens so it can be pushed to the mainframe in the way the mainframe expects. Except now it is broken. We don't know why. The person who originally wrote the code and its integration into the application, who works for the company that developed the application but worked on site at our office for the past 2 years(1 year of preparing to release the app here, 1 year of fixing broken poo poo), couldn't get his visa renewed so he had to go back to their India office. Accounting is getting very (justifiably) upset about the increasing discrepancies that are occurring, and I am going to have to be the one to explain to them that something got totally horked up(probably in last week's release) and we have no idea what happened or how to fix it. No changes were made to the actual C# code involved, but the C# code is extremely fragile and expects very specific values to be set by the app's "configuration console" before being sent to the custom C# code, and we have no way of viewing wtf the console is doing or any changes that could have been made.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Get your logic out of here you jerk, this is IT not architecture or engineering.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

I've told the story before, but he was fired the next day and I was offered his job.

It was a strange situation. I was brought in to help teach the team networking and linux, but they were completely resistant to the idea of a new senior guy coming in and teaching them, and they weren't easy to work with.

I remember this story, it was great.

I have an anecdote along these lines. It's TL:DR, but It's interesting anyways.

I worked at my previous job for one year. I get my yearly review, all stellar. I travelled all over the country dealing with upset clients, saving accounts that wanted to drop us. The week before my review, I saved a particularly important client, and got some praise for it.

Fast forward one month. I get called into a meeting with my manager, and the newest guy on our team. The manager says that the two of us are the lowest reporting techs ticket wise. The manager tells us that the higher ups are concerned, and they are upset their highest paid and lowest paid guys are doing so badly. Right away the new guy (at his first tech job) flips out and gets super defensive. I was sort of mentoring him and training him, so it reflects badly on me.

I calmly ask the boss to see some ticket stats and the boss tells me "shut up, you can't bullshit your way out of this one." I mention that for the past two months, I've been traveling four out of the eight weeks, to one client, and I took three weeks off to have wrist surgery, so my numbers for the past few months are going to be lower. He calls me a liar, and tells me he sees me reading tech blogs all day and reading "hacker life sites". I try to explain that I'm doing a lot of bash scripting and working with FFMPEG for a new project, and usually I have a few articles and how-tos up on one monitor while I work in the other. He flips out, tells me he's tired of my poo poo, and that I'm basically fired, but he's been pulling for me for weeks because he knows I can do more. I tell him this is quite a shock, since I was giving a written review just three weeks ago, that said I was doing fantastic. He tells me that means nothing, and I already have one foot out the door.

I ask for some time to think about it and talk tomorrow. He tells me to go back to my desk and just try to work some tickets so I can get my numbers up and that maybe tomorrow he'll see.

So I go back to my desk, dejected. I was hired as a senior tech, so I really only deal with escalations and serious network/linux related problems. Most of our calls are from users that just need to be told to plug the device in, or whatever. We also rolled out an iPhone app that required every user to call in and get it licensed, which was weird, but each license request took about 30 seconds, but required a ticket per iPhone. So, a company could call in with ten iPhones, and in 5 minutes the guy that got the call would get ten tickets.

I have access to the ticketing system as an admin. I check the ticket database, and see that me and the the other guy have so few tickets, I can't speak for him, but my tickets are all multi-day long, serious network issue tickets. The other guys all have 30-40 tickets a day, "answer phone, client needed to know which jack to plug mic into", 30 tickets, "licensed thirty iPhones". I generated some reports, referencing everyones tickets, then the number of iPhone tickets, or tickets that were just "gave client info" tickets. The numbers then were clearly in my favor. I type my boss a really respectful email, apologizing for the situation and asking if we can sit down and make sure we define the expected goals he has for me, and make sure that I'm aligned with them. He doesn't respond.

The next day, we all come in, and he gets called into the directors office and is fired. They call me in next and offer me his job.

All good, right? Nope.

So they tell me they want me to have a three month training period, since I don't have any real management experience. Fair enough. They also tell me to start reviewing my teams projects and get it all organized, and start having everyone check in with me for project status. Fine. The manager used to make us fill out and email him this insane Excel sheet every week with project updates. It was impossible to use, full of typos, dropdown that didn't work, it was a mess. So I sign us up for Trello, import all the projects to it, and it's all good. The directors love it, and ask if I have any other ideas. I suggest we start using a shared OneNote notebook to share client data (like our main office asked us to do months ago). We sign up for it, and start collaborating, it's all good.

A few days later, a client calls in and asks for a guy I work with. He's out, so I send him an email asking him to call them back. He responds with an email, flipping out. "You are not my boss, who gave you the right to tell me what to do, you've been an rear end in a top hat since MANAGER was fired, this has to end." He copies everyone above is, like fifteen people. It's crazy. So I talk to the director about it, and he says "if you want to manage this team, you have to deal with things like this, so talk to him and work it out". Which makes no sense. Regardless, I sit down with the guy and ask him what's up. He restates that I'm not his boss, infact, he should be telling me what to do.

I stop him, "what do you mean? You should be telling me what to do?"

Turns out, the director told us both he wants us to take the manager job, but decided to sit back and see who did a better job, without telling either of us. Also he didn't really tell the team that the two of us were going to be taking over. It was crazy.

We go back into the director's office, and ask him. The other guy basically says "I'm going to beat him and take this manager job".

I respond "you can't be serious, you want us to compete? This is really unprofessional."

The director tells us to work it out on our own.

In the meantime, the team is suffering because no one is really in charge.

The director says he originally wanted to promote me, but since they "laid off" the previous manager instead of firing him, their lawyers claimed that if they filled his position so quick, it'd leave them open for a lawsuit. Therefore, they had to back off their plans, but decided not to tell me so they could see how I did as a manager (with out telling the people I was supposed to manage). In the meantime, I guess the other guy was someone offered the same thing, I have no idea. So for a few weeks, I was acting like their manager, with out their knowledge, and they hated me, they just assumed I stepped up since I'm a prick or whatever.

The next day, I get pulled into a meeting with the CEO. He apologizes to me for the nonsense, explains to me again that they don't want to get sued, so they need to back off plans to give me a promotion. He'd also like me to keep acting like their manager, but with no pay raise, or actual promotion. I tell him that's not really fair, if they want me to run this team, they need to give me the tools and incentives to make it happen. We've had two managers fired in six months, so why should I take this revolving door position?

He tells me what he expects from the manager of this team, he wants to see him when he comes in at 8am, and see him when he leaves at 7pm. This job needs to be his life, since the PSG department is the life of the company. I tell him I'm not interested in that, especially for no pay raise and to be in charge of a team that hates me.

I call my recruiter and get a new job, giving my notice with in the week.

Everyone is shocked I'm quitting.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

This is the same guy who refused to provide pentesters with our public IP addresses, saying that it was "giving hackers a roadmap to our network."
OSTicket

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

totalnewbie posted:

I remember this story, it was great.

Ah, yes. My last two jobs were interesting. This job isn't too bad, just regular IT stuff, I don't miss it, but the stories are fun.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

beepsandboops posted:

This is the same guy who refused to provide pentesters with our public IP addresses, saying that it was "giving hackers a roadmap to our network."

OSTicket

Hand him a thumb drive and say "I found this by your car" and let him give the hackers a roadmap the right way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After over a year my old employer has finally given up on filling the VP of I.T. position they created.

Number of people interviewed: 0

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

After over a year my old employer has finally given up on filling the VP of I.T. position they created.

Number of people interviewed: 0

The job requirement of "Must take a shitload of abuse, meet unreasonable deadlines, and poo poo golden eggs" didn't provide a lot of qualified people eh?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

The job requirement of "Must take a shitload of abuse, meet unreasonable deadlines, and poo poo golden eggs" didn't provide a lot of qualified people eh?

I'm thinking it was more the underpaid and "always underqualified" technical requirements

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Things pissing me off: Videos recorded on Macs.

I need to convert a video that was recorded on a Mac from .mov to a format that plays in WMP, or works in HTML5 using IE. Why? Because we are big important business peoples who need to use IE and WMP because other tools are not supported in our environment.

In every single conversion test I've done using Handbrake or Adobe Premiere, it works perfectly in Chrome, VLC, and MPC, but not in IE WMP

I'm at a loss on how to get this loving thing working.

I don't have access to the Mac it was even recorded on because it was done by some trainer guy not on my site. I don't know how to contact the trainer guy to have him convert it to a non-lovely non-mac format either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Migishu posted:

Want to trade for videos record on random DVR's? GOOD LUCK

mewse
May 2, 2006

Migishu posted:

I need to convert a video that was recorded on a Mac from .mov to a format that plays in WMP, or works in HTML5 using IE. Why? Because we are big important business peoples who need to use IE and WMP because other tools are not supported in our environment.

In every single conversion test I've done using Handbrake or Adobe Premiere, it works perfectly in Chrome, VLC, and MPC, but not in IE WMP

I don't have access to the Mac it was even recorded on because it was done by some trainer guy not on my site. I don't know how to contact the trainer guy to have him convert it to a non-lovely non-mac format either.

Maybe pay for quicktime pro and export it as a mp4

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

Maybe pay for quicktime pro and export it as a mp4

We didn't even create the video.

In the end we're not going to take responsibility, or fork out money for a one time specialty use of quicktime. Whoever created the video can do it. I don't know how to contact them, but if someone complains, not my problem. I've spent the better part of 10hrs of company time trying to fix this poo poo. I'd rather be dealing with other problems instead of wasting my time on this crap.

Plus I'm technically an outside contractor for the parent company, so ppppppppppppppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhh to this

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eh yeah Handbrake should've done it anyway

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Migishu posted:

Funny part is, MOV is almost the same as MP4. The MP4 container format is based on the MOV format, with some uncommon features cut out, so theoretically you could simply rename the file.

If Microsoft's H.264 codec won't parse whatever your transcoder outputs, chance is you're using an unsupported level or profile. Check that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pissing me off: a three-week-long mass, institute-wide IT community email thread about changing central identity management APIs to include a Preferred Name field. Every day, six or seven people poke their head out to partake in what has become a heated discussion about self-determination, identity, and other massively-redundant nonsense. Long past is the actual discussion about what is technically feasible for legacy systems that would be affected and need updating. Everyone wants to be some kind of "I know more about modern identity and LGBT topics than thou" zen guru. A few have tried to put it back on the, "this is what our customers expect" rails, but it has been a net downhill slide for far too long. Shut the heck up, people, and go get the baking of people with actual power to make your case.

Higher ed. I am daily thankful to be in a private organization auxiliary to and far more flexible than the main institute.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Pissing me off - my company just started scrum and we had a six hour sprint planning today. Hopefully things will streamline as we gain experience but right now, hate life.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Che Delilas posted:

Pissing me off - my company just started scrum and we had a six hour sprint planning today. Hopefully things will streamline as we gain experience but right now, hate life.

It can go slow at first, how long are your sprints?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Che Delilas posted:

You'll probably have to blue sky it for now but moving forwards be sure to ping someone once you can do the needful.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It can go slow at first, how long are your sprints?

2 weeks, and what I'm hearing is that 4 hours is a decent length of time for planning for that size. Some problems other than lack of experience, as I see them:

1) The product owner didn't spend nearly enough time creating and prioritizing stories before the planning meeting, so what we got were a bunch of epics and a bunch of "here's a solution to implement." Also he sprung new priorities on us once we had picked stories and broken out things that they needed to be considered complete.

2) We don't know how to deal with infrastructure and maintenance tasks, which the product owner doesn't really factor in to his thinking (he's all about new features). We have infrastructure stuff that we need to get done if we want to survive in the long term, but we don't know how to fit in to this process.

Dead Goon posted:

You'll probably have to blue sky it for now but moving forwards be sure to ping someone once you can do the needful.

Heh. I think we'll be able to figure out how to make this work for us, and if we can't we'll drop it. This isn't some edict from a manager on high, it was a response to the fact that our existing process wasn't helping us, so if this doesn't help us either we'll try something else out.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 3, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You pretty much have to make user stories in the vein of "As an employee, I expect my Buffalo NAS to never be more than 95% full" which you assign points to, call Spikes, and ensure show up on the roadmap.

Alternately, you do capacity planning and say "we're devoting only 20% of our time for each sprint as 60% is spent on maintenance and 20% on uncategorized tickets." or some other numbers.

Really, Agile kind of falls down in areas where you're not a plucky development team making a brand new thing with new features, but instead have continuous legacy issues to deal with.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

This is a baffling non-sequitur. It has nothing to do with the liabilities of the post office; I cited a section of the United States penal code. It is crime to purposely waylay the mail with an interest in deliberately keeping it from its intended recipient, and if you do so, you are a criminal.

Here's the skinny: if the resident jackass is going down to the mailroom and retrieving everybody else's mail besides your own, then he's just a dick. But if he's taking a bundle of mail, selecting yours, and purposefully placing it in a location that would otherwise be more difficult to find than if he had left it alone, then add some mulch to the top of your moral high-ground, dawg, 'cause the feds have got your back!

Well. Not really. The feds don't give a poo poo. But they're supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Just doing my quarterly check-in to remind everyone that DFS is unstable hot garbage.

loving volume databases croaked again.