Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Shadow Over Innsmouth is an HP Lovecraft story about how the townsfolk in Innsmouth are actually worshipers/descendants of C'thulu and its spawn who are born as humans and transform into fish people when they get older.

I know. I mentioned that a while ago that the set name seemed like a reference to The Shadow Over Innsmouth. So again, totally in flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Madmarker posted:

No what you get is a bunch of cards with walls of incomprehensible text.
For example, Errant Ephemeron:

Great card, but when every card is this complicated, casual players get scared off. And by casual I do not mean kitchen table, I mean the type of player who has one deck, that is usually 5 colors with 19 lands and is mostly 7 drops.

It has two keywords, one of which is evergreen.

Angry Grimace posted:

\
I had a few casual players get upset in BFZ sealed due to random text everywhere, especially Devoid. They simply couldn't fathom why its important or whether they were supposed to keep track of it.

To be fair, the eldrazi faction keywording is pretty bad. Their two actual keywords don't do anything on their own, and their non-keyworded abilities (process/scion) take up five lines of text every time they appear.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Don't be disingenuous, Suspend is very unintuitive.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

:eng101: Dagon

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It also has seven lines of text.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dr. Stab posted:

It also has seven lines of text.

So did Innistrad's werewolves, and every Bestow creature.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Insane local magic drama: the local high level judge got To-catch-a-predator'd last night and relinquished his drat self to police custody today.

What this means for future GPT's is unclear!

I was going to make a second insensitive joke about all PPTQ's being cancelled because it doesn't stand for Pre-Teen qualifiers, but I'm not going to.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Not at common.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Not at common.

Yes?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Yes they did. Those cards were also complicated. The difference is that TSP was full of mechanics like that, while those sets really just had the one. That's really what NWO is all about. Players want cool new things, but there's a limit when learning new things stops being fun and starts being taxing.

e: also the asfan of werewolves was super low due to exactly one of the cards in the pack being a flip card.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 2, 2015

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Also according to people WotC actually asked the thing that suspend was actually doing didn't parse well when reading, while Bestow and Transform were very intuitive to people. It's why there's no Bestow creatures that give anything different from their own vanilla stats + abilities, so people could interpret as "I mash these two guys together". Also WotC was extremely hesitant about Transform at first as it was being designed until it was decided new players understood the idea of "person turns into a monster" well enough that it wasn't an issue.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The common Werewolves from Innistrad had three lines of text for the transform ability and another line for the couple that had evergreen abilities.

I'm willing to believe there were common Werewolves with seven lines of text, but I'm not seeing any.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

Not at common.

Werewolves and Bestow showed up at common.

The werewolf ability is wordy enough that it takes up seven lines of text on its own.

Eight lines of text for a common bestow creature with an evergreen keyword.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

The common Werewolves from Innistrad had three lines of text for the transform ability and another line for the couple that had evergreen abilities.

I'm willing to believe there were common Werewolves with seven lines of text, but I'm not seeing any.

3 + 4 = 7

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
What do you call someone who doesn't under how suspend works?

I really like the phrase marquers << temps >>

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You're only ever looking at one side at a time and the two sides are, fundamentally, the same ability. That's pretty different from seven lines of reminder text for a keyword.

I'll grant you that Bestow is pretty wordy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ultima66 posted:

Also according to people WotC actually asked the thing that suspend was actually doing didn't parse well when reading, while Bestow and Transform were very intuitive to people. It's why there's no Bestow creatures that give anything different from their own vanilla stats + abilities, so people could interpret as "I mash these two guys together". Also WotC was extremely hesitant about Transform at first as it was being designed until it was decided new players understood the idea of "person turns into a monster" well enough that it wasn't an issue.

I knew a big enough number of people who were really upset that bestow "broke the rules of the game" in regards to the bestow aura becoming a creature if the bestow target was killed in response to casting the aura. I will never understand their anger, most game mechanics bend the game rules.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

It was the best set ever to the kind of person who posts about Magic on the internet during their spare time. To someone who plays Magic casually, it didn't go over well.

In what way is a casual player -necessarily- someone who doesn't like reading cards?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 2, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If you can't understand why bestow and transform are easier for casual players to understand than suspend, maybe you are the dumb one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The best thing about Grizzled Outcasts is that it has more racial diversity on one card art than on the entire rest of Innistrad (Snapcaster is the only other card I can think of with a nonwhite-looking human).

Ultima66 posted:

Also WotC was extremely hesitant about Transform at first as it was being designed until it was decided new players understood the idea of "person turns into a monster" well enough that it wasn't an issue.

I would think that players could also understand "I cast a spell INTO THE FUTURE" well enough but evidently not.

Ironically it might have been more understandable if they could have just used a Legends-esque wording like "You may cast ~ for its suspend cost, but it takes four extra turns to resolve. Use counters." but due to the modern need for rules clarity, they have to specify what acts you take, when you remove the counters, etc.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 2, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zoness posted:

In what way is a casual player -necessarily- someone who doesn't like reading cards?

Reading cards is cool and fun, but if you have to stop to parse every single card in the pack, it becomes not fun. It's about balance.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Write the shortest reminder text for suspend that you can.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Reading cards is cool and fun, but if you have to stop to parse every single card in the pack, it becomes not fun. It's about balance.

Thing is, you ought to only have to fully parse Suspend once. That's the upside of a keyword, in theory.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Referring to Ob Nixilis as Bobby Nixon is a lot funnier than it has any right to be

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

JerryLee posted:

Thing is, you ought to only have to fully parse Suspend once. That's the upside of a keyword, in theory.

Yeah, that's fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with suspend. It could be a little bit simpler, but that's not the main issue. The real issue was to do with TSP as a whole, a problem to which mechanics like suspend contributed.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

JerryLee posted:

You only have to fully parse Suspend once, but there was a shitload else going on in TSP block as well. Take a look at the gatherer text for Riftmarked Knight, and that's an uncommon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Strictly better than Squire, which is on the timeshifted sheet.

Seems good!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah it's not painting a clear picture to say "you only have to parse X once" when, for example, I boosted up a character to max level in WoW and trying to learn what skills to use when took a decent amount of time and made me not want to play the character. Each individual button was pretty simple, but putting it all together is fairly overwhelming. And sometimes individual pieces of that are things a designer has to look at and ask "can we simplify this? Do we really need this?" Like, if you are invested enough into Magic to keep up with cards as they are spoiled, taking in mechanics a few at a time during spoiler season really helps your brain process it, as once you've internalized something your brain can shortcut it. Being told to take in a bunch of things at once can be really overwhelming, especially if you're new and only tentatively exploring a game, and it's a designer's job to help ease that process.

E: Also with Suspend whether or not the creature gets haste when it comes into play is pretty weird and not immediately obvious. That's definitely a sore spot of the mechanic.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Zoness posted:

Strictly better than Squire, which is on the timeshifted sheet.

Dies to Shatter.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

instantrunoffvote posted:

Dies to Shatter.

Don't you mean fury charm

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Invested/long term players also had the comprehension upside of being able to go "oh, this is that X card from ten years ago I used to play with" or "oh, this is a colourshift of that card from ten years ago" or "oh, this is that mechanic from ten years ago" or any one of a dozen other variations on that theme. There was absolutely complexity overload in the mechanics, and in the number of mechanics, and in the combinations of mechanics, but older players could devote more comprehension space to all that because their previous experience gave them a cheat sheet on a massive proportion of the block. Coming at it raw made everything several orders of magnitude harder. It's a factor I think it's very easy to underestimate, and very critical to the huge divide in the reception of Time Spiral.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If you want to talk about the complexity of poo poo in Time Spiral block why don't you actually post complex cards.

Or how about a Common with a non-evergreen combat-affecting ability that doesn't have Reminder text.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Are we being nerds about lines of texts now?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Stab posted:

This is the problem that entrenched players underestimate by far the most in my experience - you would not believe how much players learning the game hate having to read all the loving cards every single time to figure out what they do.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Cernunnos posted:

If you want to talk about the complexity of poo poo in Time Spiral block why don't you actually post complex cards.

Or how about a Common with a non-evergreen combat-affecting ability that doesn't have Reminder text.

Ichor Slick isn't actually that complex, either? Aside from the oddity of Madness exiling, Cycling and Madness interact exactly how you'd expect them to, and are actually a really cool combination of keywords.

Knight of Sursi is some bullshit, though.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

This is the problem that entrenched players underestimate by far the most in my experience - you would not believe how much players learning the game hate having to read all the loving cards every single time to figure out what they do.
Ichor slick is really complex though. It has 4 different costs depending on what you do with it. The possibility space is very complicated for a new player to figure out, and as a common it came up a lot. Ichor slick is one of my favorite cards but it's still inexcusably complex for a common, especially when so many cards in the set are like that. Even if time spiral didn't have the timeshifted sheet, it'd be the most complicated set (barring the other sets in the block). Adding over a hundred cards from the history of the game with unique keywords and abilities that are unlike any modern card turned it into a nightmare for the non-enfranchised player base.

Future sight took it a step further with multiple abilities that only occurred on 1-3 cards, and commons that were explicitly designed to be weird and unlike anything that had come before.
See flowstone embrace:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
to be fair knight of sursi is pretty simple because what else has flying and flanking anyway?

don't even need to bother doing the check case on flanking and you can effectively treat it as bushido 1 except it kills x/1's immediately.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

to be fair knight of sursi is pretty simple because what else has flying and flanking anyway?

don't even need to bother doing the check case on flanking and you can effectively treat it as bushido 1 except it kills x/1's immediately.
Except flanking interacts completely differently with multiblocks.
Having a common without reminder text is entirely bullshit to begin with, but people did and continue to screw up blocks when flanking is involved. Watching people who weren't familiar with the set try to draft it when it was the MTGO flashback reminded me of this- people were screwing up a lot, and this is when the game is enforcing perfect rules resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, that's fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with suspend. It could be a little bit simpler, but that's not the main issue. The real issue was to do with TSP as a whole, a problem to which mechanics like suspend contributed.

Dr. Stab posted:

Fair enough, I got confused and thought we were still focusing on suspend!

Re: Ichor Slick. I guess I don't see it as a problem that the card has several different options, any more than something like a Charm is a problem (I guess Charms usually aren't common but let's be real; if charms are a problem, it's a problem that's going to come up for a casual player trying to buy packs during RTR block or KTK).

Yeah, you might not see the synergy between Madness and Cycling, but that's not a problem either because the game doesn't try to divide by zero if the new player just plays it exactly like they would if it were Expunge. Someday, they'll notice the synergy (or have it pointed out to them) and they'll feel really cool, but it doesn't have to happen on the day they fan out their first booster pack.

• Locked thread