Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except dogpiling a non-violent suspect until he suffocates can not by any stretch of the imagination be called a necessary medical intervention. Was Freddie Gray suffering from an acute case of verticalitis?
I was responding to Falcon's general suggestion that police should have an affirmative legal duty to render medical assistance to suspects in custody. This came up earlier too, when someone was asking why the police don't perform first aid on the people they shoot. I'm not sure what the various state laws say about the matter, but I agree that police officers should have a duty to ensure that people in their custody receive adequate care. I just don't think it's necessarily wise to require the officers to provide that care themselves, for the reasons I outlined above. It might be possible to write some sort of Good Samaritan exception, but that requires accepting that police will be off the hook if they gently caress up treating the person they just shot.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Frabba posted:

What are the odds that this is legitimate?

There are scans of the documents included at the link, but I don't know how one would go about confirming they are legitimate. If this is true though, loving :smithicide:.

e. Looks like the link is dying from going viral. RIP, hopefully it will clear up quickly.

I found it through the Southern Poverty Law Center so I'm going to assume legit. They know their radicalized racists.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

OK, so let's say that, because he has the equivalent of a Boy Scout's first aid merit badge, the officer applies a bad tourniquet to the leg, and it ends up having to be amputated. Is the officer liable for that?

A lot of medical interventions carry risks for the patient.

Why would the officer (or anyone else) be liable for providing reasonable first aid? Especially first aid that they're trained to give?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

I was responding to Falcon's general suggestion that police should have an affirmative legal duty to render medical assistance to suspects in custody. This came up earlier too, when someone was asking why the police don't perform first aid on the people they shoot. I'm not sure what the various state laws say about the matter, but I agree that they should have a duty to ensure that suspects receive adequate care. I just don't think it's necessarily wise to require the officers to provide that care themselves, for the reasons I outlined above. It might be possible to write some sort of Good Samaritan exception, but that requires accepting that police will be off the hook if they gently caress up treating the person they just shot.

One thing that came out from a report following a grand jury investigation into the semi-recent death in custody of local Albany man Dontay Ivy is that quite a few police officers have had EMT training. But you don't even need that much to provide basic life support, and considering the circumstances police may be working under, perhaps EMT training should be added to their requirements.

ETA: Sorry, didn't see your edit. I don't think what you're saying is true, because I am pretty sure that if I committed a crime, someone got fatally hurt during its execution, and died in spite of me attempting to subsequently save their life, it would still be considered a homicide.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dead Reckoning posted:

I was responding to Falcon's general suggestion that police should have an affirmative legal duty to render medical assistance to suspects in custody. This came up earlier too, when someone was asking why the police don't perform first aid on the people they shoot. I'm not sure what the various state laws say about the matter, but I agree that police officers should have a duty to ensure that suspects receive adequate care. I just don't think it's necessarily wise to require the officers to provide that care themselves, for the reasons I outlined above. It might be possible to write some sort of Good Samaritan exception, but that requires accepting that police will be off the hook if they gently caress up treating the person they just shot.

They should at least have a duty to immediately call paramedics to the scene. Hell, they should probably call paramedics to any arrest that involves any sort of violence on the off chance that the police or the arrested person caused an injury that is more serious than it looks. This should be doubly true of any officer involved shooting.

It may also be worth it to have specialized units, similar to how firefighters have medical training/ambulances (I had an EKG from a firetruck once), as part of the police force that are trained to render immediate first aid and transfer injured people to hospitals.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

falcon2424 posted:

Why would the officer (or anyone else) be liable for providing reasonable first aid? Especially first aid that they're trained to give?
You really think no one ever tries to sue for medical mistakes?

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

People can sue for anything. I'm asking why you'd think the person would a good case.

If you press criminal charges, the "justification" defenses kicks in.

If you sue, you'll need to overcome Good Samaritan laws AND qualified immunity.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd personally favor just going ahead and making cops strictly liable for the physical health of anyone in their custody, with pre-existing conditions they couldn't have known about being an affirmative defense.

Abusable, but in ways that result in less dead citizens than the current arrangement.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

OK, so let's say that, because he has the equivalent of a Boy Scout's first aid merit badge, the officer applies a bad tourniquet to the leg, and it ends up having to be amputated. Is the officer liable for that?

A lot of medical interventions carry risks for the patient.

Most states have Good Samaritan laws that limit the liability, and BSA hasn't taught tourniquets in a long long time. And cops do let people bleed to death before getting them medical care, so I think it'd be worth it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Javid posted:

I'd personally favor just going ahead and making cops strictly liable for the physical health of anyone in their custody, with pre-existing conditions they couldn't have known about being an affirmative defense.

Abusable, but in ways that result in less dead citizens than the current arrangement.

Sounds good to me.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Most states have Good Samaritan laws that limit the liability, and BSA hasn't taught tourniquets in a long long time. And cops do let people bleed to death before getting them medical care, so I think it'd be worth it.
I think letting cops provide care under a good Samaritan-like immunity is a workable solution, I just assumed there would be more pushback against limiting officer liability, given how uncomfortable or outright hostile people were toward qualified immunity when it came up.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Someone is dying in front of you and you're scratching your chin going gee I don't know what's my liability?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Watermelon City posted:

Someone is dying in front of you and you're scratching your chin going gee I don't know what's my liability?

This is historically one of the reasons why duties to assist/rescue don't normally exist at common law, as well as the basis of a variety of other messy tort law concepts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Watermelon City posted:

Well yeah, if you save their life they can testify that they weren't doing whatever it is you decide to make up to justify shooting them.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Of course he did!

quote:

A white Cleveland patrolman who shot a 12-year-old black boy carrying a pellet gun told investigators that he and his partner continuously yelled "show me your hands" before he fired the fatal shots, according to the officer's statement released by prosecutors Tuesday.

The rookie officer said that Tamir Rice didn't obey his commands and that he saw the boy pulling a weapon out of his waist band.

"I knew it was a gun and I knew it was coming out," officer Timothy Loehmann said in the statement given to investigators.

It turned out Tamir was carrying a nonlethal, Airsoft-type gun that shoots plastic pellets when Loehmann shot him twice outside a recreation center on Nov. 22, 2014. He died a day later.

A grand jury will decide if Loehmann or his field training officer should be charged criminally for Tamir's death.

Prosecutors in recent weeks released a frame-by-frame analysis of the surveillance camera footage from the shooting, along with expert reports that called the shooting justified.

Attorneys for the Rice family have asked Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty to step aside and allow a special prosecutor to take over the case. They called the prosecutor's presentation to the grand jury "biased" and "improper" after releasing the reports that found no fault with the officers' actions.

They said Tuesday that allowing both officers to make unsworn statements that won't be subject to cross examination "further taints these proceedings."

The statements from Loehmann and patrolman Frank Garmback describe in detail action that the surveillance video shows took about two seconds.

They were responding after a 911 caller reported that a man was waving a gun and pointing it at people. The caller told the dispatcher that the gun might not be real. The call also said the man might be a juvenile, but that information wasn't passed on to the officers.

Loehmann said he and his partner thought Tamir was going to run as they drove up to him, but Tamir turned toward the cruiser.

"The suspect lifted his shirt, reached down into his waistband. We continued to yell 'show me your hands,'" Loehmann said in the statement. "I was focused on the suspect. Even when he was reaching into his waistband, I didn't fire. I still was yelling the command 'show me your hands.'"

The rookie officer said he was getting out of the cruiser when he saw a weapon in the boy's hand coming out his waistband. "The threat to my partner and myself was real and active," Loehmann said.

He said he fired two shots and heard his partner still yelling "show me your hands" after Tamir fell to the ground.

Garmback, who was driving the cruiser, said in his statement that he wanted to keep the boy away from the recreation center and that the patrol car slid when he hit the brakes. The car didn't stop where he intended, Garmback said.

He said he saw the gun Tamir was carrying when Loehmann opened his door. "I thought the gun was real," Garmback said.

Subodh Chandra, an attorney for Tamir's family, said Tuesday that the officers' statements were contradictory and did not make sense.

"Loehmann, for example, insists that he observed things and took action that would have been physically impossible for any human being to do in the under two seconds it took him to shoot a 12-year-old child," he said in a statement.

Chandra also noted that Loehmann said he issued at least three commands to "show me your hands," but that Garmback said he thought the cruiser's windows were rolled up as they drove toward Tamir.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Ah frame by frame analysis. loving up football games and loving up justice.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Remember, police are subject to the same legal system with the same resources as civilians. That's an assertion that was made in the last thread by a regular pro-cop poster.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Now it's been awhile since I watched the video of the incident, but isn't everything this dude is saying completely contradicted by the video that shows the cruiser pull up abs the kid shot in less than 5 seconds

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Now it's been awhile since I watched the video of the incident, but isn't everything this dude is saying completely contradicted by the video that shows the cruiser pull up abs the kid shot in less than 5 seconds

Nonsense. I can fit three "show me your hands" in two seconds without breaking a sweat. That's like seven or eight repetitions in five seconds.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

KomradeX posted:

It is, which is why the statements were not 'sworn' so they cant be used in court.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

Nonsense. I can fit three "show me your hands" in two seconds without breaking a sweat. That's like seven or eight repetitions in five seconds.

SHOMRANSOMEORANS *blam* *blam*

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dead Reckoning posted:

So rather than have to deal with the occasional litigation, you think it is preferable to let someone bleed to death. That's pretty lovely.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

ETA: Sorry, didn't see your edit. I don't think what you're saying is true, because I am pretty sure that if I committed a crime, someone got fatally hurt during its execution, and died in spite of me attempting to subsequently save their life, it would still be considered a homicide.
I'm thinking more of situations where the police were justified in their use of force, but the suspect/patient is hurt by a medical mistake during subsequent treatment, or alleges that their treatment was substandard.

Watermelon City posted:

What I personally might chose to do in a situation is different from what I think any person ought to be legally required to do in the same situation.

DrNutt posted:

So rather than have to deal with the occasional litigation, you think it is preferable to let someone bleed to death. That's pretty lovely.
No, I think letting the police treat people in their care under some sort of Good Samaritan-like immunity is perfectly workable, but I expect that there would be some pushback on that after the inevitable "suspect loses a limb due to substandard medical care but can't sue due to immunity" story, or allegations that police provided improper treatment to a shot suspect who dies after a questionable shoot so that he wouldn't live to tell his side of the story.

Like I said, it's workable, but it has the potential to create situations that I think people concerned about policing and justice would be unhappy with.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Uh if the police deliberately kill someone while pretending to treat them, I don't think that would fall under Good Samaritan immunity if proven.

For example Florida's statute: anyone who renders aid whether licensed or not yada yada "shall not be held liable for any civil damages as a result of such care or treatment or as a result of any act or failure to act in providing or arranging further medical treatment where the person acts as an ordinary reasonably prudent person would have acted under the same or similar circumstances."

I doubt deliberately murdering someone is how an ordinary reasonably prudent person would act (note: I am not a doctor I could be wrong) so I don't think we have to worry about accidentally legalizing cops executing someone and claiming it's medical care (I mean aside from the de facto legality of cops murdering people now by letting them bleed out so they can't contradict the cop's testimomy). I don't see any way something like that would give police immunity to allegations that they murdered someone on purpose.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 2, 2015

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Uh if the police deliberately kill someone while pretending to treat them, I don't think that would fall under Good Samaritan immunity if proven.

For example Florida's statute: anyone who renders aid whether licensed or not yada yada "shall not be held liable for any civil damages as a result of such care or treatment or as a result of any act or failure to act in providing or arranging further medical treatment where the person acts as an ordinary reasonably prudent person would have acted under the same or similar circumstances."

I doubt deliberately murdering someone is how an ordinary reasonably prudent person would act (note: I am not a doctor I could be wrong) so I don't think we have to worry about accidentally legalizing cops executing someone and claiming it's medical care (I mean aside from the de facto legality of cops murdering people now by letting them bleed out so they can't contradict the cop's testimomy)

I think the main issue is neither calling the paramedics nor allowing others at the scene to administer medical care for injuries caused by officers. There is a perverse incentive for officers who criminally critically injure suspects to deny them medical care so they die rather than live to testify or sue.

There should be a legal and/or procedural mechanism to avert this.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nothing I wrote had anything to do with the police knowingly and provably killing people unlawfully.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nothing I wrote had anything to do with the police knowingly and provably killing people unlawfully.

:confused:

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, I think letting the police treat people in their care under some sort of Good Samaritan-like immunity is perfectly workable, but I expect that there would be some pushback on that after the inevitable "suspect loses a limb due to substandard medical care but can't sue due to immunity" story, or allegations that police provided improper treatment to a shot suspect who dies after a questionable shoot so that he wouldn't live to tell his side of the story.

Like I said, it's workable, but it has the potential to create situations that I think people concerned about policing and justice would be unhappy with.

There's no Good Samaritan law where anyone would have immunity to those allegations

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dead Reckoning posted:

Which would still be a step up from current SOP which seems to be magdump, shout at the dead/dying person and treat them like they're dangerous for an additional 5 minutes or so, then get on the phone to the police union.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Which would still be a step up from current SOP which seems to be magdump, shout at the dead/dying person and treat them like they're dangerous for an additional 5 minutes or so, then get on the phone to the police union.

This is what literally happened when that NYPD officer shot that dude in NYCHA housing he called his partner than I actually think they're Union Rep, to figure this or while this dude bleed to death in a stairwell in November

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KomradeX posted:

This is what literally happened when that NYPD officer shot that dude in NYCHA housing he called his partner than I actually think they're Union Rep, to figure this or while this dude bleed to death in a stairwell in November

Yeah, that's what I was referencing. I think at the very least, with something like Tamir Rice, you could attempt to give some kind of aid rather than scream at the sister of the 12 year old kid you just blew away and prevent her from rendering aid or calling for help.

If the Tamir Rice case can't get a conviction for those murderers, we should just burn the loving country down and start over. Nothing at this point is apparently beyond the pale.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

There's no Good Samaritan law where anyone would have immunity to those allegations
Without a confession, it's going to be nearly impossible to prove that poor medical care was due to malice rather than incompetence (which is what Good Samaritan laws protect). I suppose you could require that every police officer hold an EMT-B cert, but good luck finding the money for that, especially in smaller departments.

KomradeX posted:

That particular detail was denied by both the prosecutor and the union.

quote:

Fliedner, the lead prosecutor in the case, did not mention the order in court Wednesday. He did say, however, that another report by the Daily News -- which claimed Liang texted his union representative right after the shooting -- was false.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Dead Reckoning posted:

That particular detail was denied by both the prosecutor and the union.

The union rep thing is incorrect, true. What actually happened is just as bad though. They did not report the incident, at all, to anyone, for almost 20 minutes after it happened.

First they spent two minutes arguing about which one of the two officers should call their supervisor to report the shot. These are quotes.

"You call."
"No, you call."

In their defense, at the time they were unaware anybody had been shot. In their not-defense, when they did finally walk down a flight and realized that a man had been shot, they just sorta... kept on walking down the stairs. Presumably while whistling a nonchalant tune. Eventually, after other police were already on scene responding to residents' 911 calls, they finally decided to radio in what had happened.

Source. The parts I mention are on page 7 and page 10.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Without a confession, it's going to be nearly impossible to prove that poor medical care was due to malice rather than incompetence (which is what Good Samaritan laws protect).

Oh well yes you're right about that, it's not easy to prove, but this is still an improvement over the status quo. At least it's notionally possible to prove that the care did not meet the reasonably prudent standard, whereas right now it's completely legal to let a guy just bleed out.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I suppose you could require that every police officer hold an EMT-B cert, but good luck finding the money for that, especially in smaller departments.

Federalize the police :twisted: Then their funding won't depend on how randomly poor their town is and we can have federal Law Enforcement Division that investigates police shootings and charges them so there's no conflict-of-interest with the cop's friends investigating him and his DA buddy bringing it to a grand jury. And hey, making cops EMTs would almost certainly save lives even apart from the duty it would impose on them not to deliberately kill people with incompetent care, right?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I just did some cursory poking around, and it appears to cost $600-900 to obtain an EMT basic certification. Could not quickly find an answer to how much it costs to recertify and maintain the license. Additional Googling suggests that state and local law enforcement agencies employ about 1,000,000 people full-time. Assuming (perhaps generously) that all of those million are patrol officers, and that EMT licenses must be re-obtained at full cost every year, that's an annual expenditure of just under $1B to get every officer in the US EMT-certified. (Really, the annual cost will probably be substantially lower, since many full-time law enforcement personnel aren't patrol officers, and I am pretty sure EMT certs last for more than a year and don't need to be reobtained from scratch.) How much do we spend at a federal level on grants for former military equipment? Is it about that much, significantly more, or significantly less?

Set aside the political feasibility for the moment; I was just curious about the economics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grundulum posted:

I just did some cursory poking around, and it appears to cost $600-900 to obtain an EMT basic certification. Could not quickly find an answer to how much it costs to recertify and maintain the license. Additional Googling suggests that state and local law enforcement agencies employ about 1,000,000 people full-time. Assuming (perhaps generously) that all of those million are patrol officers, and that EMT licenses must be re-obtained at full cost every year, that's an annual expenditure of just under $1B to get every officer in the US EMT-certified. (Really, the annual cost will probably be substantially lower, since many full-time law enforcement personnel aren't patrol officers, and I am pretty sure EMT certs last for more than a year and don't need to be reobtained from scratch.) How much do we spend at a federal level on grants for former military equipment? Is it about that much, significantly more, or significantly less?

Set aside the political feasibility for the moment; I was just curious about the economics.

Where does the $600-900 go? Is it entirely to cover costs?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
All of the above is why I favor strict liability unless it can be conclusively proven they could not have prevented whatever injury or death is at issue. No more benefit of the doubt. Burden of proof on the person with an entire union behind them is still pretty fair.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Also where are you finding $600 EMT-B courses, because it's like two grand minimum around here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VitalSigns posted:

Federalize the police :twisted: Then their funding won't depend on how randomly poor their town is and we can have federal Law Enforcement Division that investigates police shootings and charges them so there's no conflict-of-interest with the cop's friends investigating him and his DA buddy bringing it to a grand jury. And hey, making cops EMTs would almost certainly save lives even apart from the duty it would impose on them not to deliberately kill people with incompetent care, right?

This would require a constitutional amendment and also be a very bad idea. Imagine a federalized police under the Trump administration- or Paul, or Nixon. Police powers is frustrating, but it's there for a good reason. Also, given congressional funding of federal agencies, the training still wouldn't happen, even if other regulatory and conflict of interest elements would be improved.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah it was a joke, hence the devil smiley, I know it's unconstitutional currently.

Although really I don't see how it could be any worse than police under various lovely governors and/or the local racist mayor. At least federal agencies are accountable to national politics.

And anyway, President Nixon wasn't even able to stop the FBI investigation of himself, four or eight years just isn't long enough to build up enough cronies to completely ruin institutions, it'd have to be GOP dominance for a long long time before all the federal police agencies are their private stasi or whatever it is you're worried about.

E: But I also think states' rights are poo poo. Sorry the south ruined it by being terrible in every way with every chance the constitution gave them, gently caress federalism let's have a real nation-state.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it was a joke, hence the devil smiley, I know it's unconstitutional currently.

Although really I don't see how it could be any worse than police under various lovely governors and/or the local racist mayor. At least federal agencies are accountable to national politics.

And anyway, President Nixon wasn't even able to stop the FBI investigation of himself, four or eight years just isn't long enough to build up enough cronies to completely ruin institutions, it'd have to be GOP dominance for a long long time before all the federal police agencies are their private stasi or whatever it is you're worried about.

My objection to this would actually be the opposite of DV's: I would point out that incestuous local relations between police forces, municipal governments, and the judiciary are not uncommon in countries with strictly nationwide forces. At least in the US the levels of local, State, and National mean that you have a few forces independent of each other where the higher levels are less likely to be embroiled in lower-level corruption simply because they have limited authority in that area unless things go south.

quote:

E: But I also think states' rights are poo poo. Sorry the south ruined it by being terrible in every way with every chance the constitution gave them, gently caress federalism let's have a real nation-state.

If anything international trends are towards more federalism and devolved legislation, not centralization. Just look at places like the UK or Spain, and there are many struggles over this in terms of how the EU is supposed to run as a whole. The US is singular in having tackled head-on many of these issues in the past, and while the way things are done here is not perfect, I am not sure that further centralization is the solution, especially with how gridlocked the central institutions are.

• Locked thread