Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An ISIS attack in the US is probably among the worst things that can conceivably happen right now and I'm deathly afraid of what would result, which is probably why I'm emotionally inclined to be skeptical of reports calling it Islamic terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

RusteJuxx posted:

What could Obama do, even in a legally grey area way, to in someway address gun control? Is there anything he can do via executive order that might help even a little?

Drone strike the NRA, extraordinary rendition for half of K street, a series of "accidents" for the Kochs and their friends.

That's about it.

Sandy Hook was the watershed moment here, once society decided it was more ok with 20 dead kindergarteners than with any sort of gun control the debate was over

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 2, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RusteJuxx posted:

What could Obama do, even in a legally grey area way, to in someway address gun control? Is there anything he can do via executive order that might help even a little?

It would require he use the military to execute his will, because red states are controlled by forces that are driving us towards civil war on the issue.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RusteJuxx posted:

Hypothetically I think he could nationalize all guns stores and manufacturers and shut them down but lol at that ever happening.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The San Bernadino police chief says he doesn't know if this was an act of "traditional terrorism." It could be "domestic terrorism." As we all know, if it's a legitimate form of terrorism, etc etc

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

An ISIS attack in the US is probably among the worst things that can conceivably happen right now and I'm deathly afraid of what would result, which is probably why I'm emotionally inclined to be skeptical of reports calling it Islamic terror.

Where are you seeing this? All I've seen has been 1-3 white males in "military-style" gear, which doesn't sound like an ISIS attack.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it would be great if ISIS attacked the us because then finally republicans would be in favor of background checks and close the straw purchase loophole

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

What gun control legislation are you guys even thinking about? This happened in California, the state with the toughest gun laws. What else would be effective, and more than just a gesture to score points?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it would be great if ISIS attacked the us

to NSA: Get him boys!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Luigi Thirty posted:

The San Bernadino police chief says he doesn't know if this was an act of "traditional terrorism." It could be "domestic terrorism." As we all know, if it's a legitimate form of terrorism, etc etc

It's true, we can't be sure if the Irish are behind this, best to hedge our bets

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it would be great if ISIS attacked the us because then finally republicans would be in favor of background checks and close the straw purchase loophole
lol but criminals can get guns so there's no point to try.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

Where are you seeing this? All I've seen has been 1-3 white males in "military-style" gear, which doesn't sound like an ISIS attack.

Why, this very thread my friend. But it's super not them.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

What gun control legislation are you guys even thinking about? This happened in California, the state with the toughest gun laws. What else would be effective, and more than just a gesture to score points?

A way for you not to drive over 200 miles and pick them up very legally. Or gun shows.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Look up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's not really anywhere except a random hearsay eyewitness report of a middle eastern man with a long beard which is most likely not true. It just triggered "what if" scenarios.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Take them away, and so as to not violate the constitution put them all int the CMP program as the only way you can get a gun going forward.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The north hollywood shootout was also in CA. It's easy as poo poo to get guns into CA when AZ is right loving next door dipshit.

e: especially if your white since none of the AZ -> CA stops every have ever stopped me or my family after going to the river for almost 30 years

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
At this point it is all speculation until we learn more about the group that was hit or catch the shooter(s)

Go get a beer folks

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RusteJuxx posted:

Maybe this time he can try reverse psychology and issue an executive order to suspend all Federal gun control and permit civilians to buy military arms at cost.

It'd put the Republicans in a position where they'd have to sue to stop him.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hate that they can't just call it straight-up terrorism like it really is. But white people can't be terrorists.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hypothetically I think he could nationalize all guns stores and manufacturers and shut them down but lol at that ever happening.

Hypothetically, Obama could turn into the four-armed Hindu god Vishnu and use his newfound omnipotence to reverse McDonald v. City of Chicago and make the words "A well-regulated militia" appear in 36-pt bold font in the original copy of the constitution but lol at that ever happening

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Witness on CBS News just said there were three men in all black with bulletproof vests and assault rifles. She saw them open the door to the conference room and open fire.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the shadow toker posted:

Hypothetically, Obama could turn into four-armed Hindu god Vishnu and use his newfound omnipotence to reverse McDonald v. City of Chicago and make the words "A well-regulated" militia appear in 36-pt bold text in the original copy of the constitution but lol at that every happening

Yeah but there's already a constitutional path for nationalization, is Vishnu in the constitution? checkmate hinduailres

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Witness on CBS News just said there were three men in all black with bulletproof vests and assault rifles. She saw them open the door to the conference room and open fire.

She just said they looked white, but was kind of far away

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Banning the manufacture and sale of guns in the United States of America.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

Why, this very thread my friend. But it's super not them.

Oh, one unconfirmed rumor in this thread, okay

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I wish California's gun laws were as strict as out of state gun nuts think they are.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lotka Volterra posted:

fox news is on the case

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
D&D posters have been so mentally scarred and disaffected by past incidents that they can't help but be concerned about the worst possible situation.

We're Wounded Worriers, you could say.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Melting all the guns in the country and turning them into sweet cream butter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

Yeah I was just broadly talking about why I was snapping on people speculating if it was ISIS.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

I dont blame you at all and I agree. It will be a horrifying shitshow if these dudes end up being ISIS nuts. who knows who it could be. untill they are caught or more likely killed we probably wont know.

what makes me think its not your average mass shooter, is the number of people and the fact that the made a so far clean break. most american mass shooters just kill until the cops show up then top themselves.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 2, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah but there's already a constitutional path for nationalization, is Vishnu in the constitution? checkmate hinduailres

Can Vishnu produce a birth certificate?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BonoMan posted:

It's not really anywhere except a random hearsay eyewitness report of a middle eastern man with a long beard which is most likely not true. It just triggered "what if" scenarios.
And even this wasn't related to the shooting at the IRC event but rather the unrelated shooting at the mall, and the description was a Middle-Eastern male with a beard and headphones, 'possibly' armed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OB_Juan posted:

Can Vishnu produce a birth certificate?

he probably has several.lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/12/us/gun-traffickers-smuggling-state-gun-laws.html?_r=0

quote:

Law enforcement officials express frequent frustration that they are not able to track every gun that crosses state lines, which means the estimates here are conservative. When the police do recover a gun tied to criminal activity, typically after an arrest, they can trace the gun to where it was last sold through a federally licensed dealer.

Chicago offers perhaps the starkest example of trafficking. There are no retail gun dealers within city limits, because Chicago has some of the tightest municipal gun regulations. Yet bringing a gun into Chicago can be as simple as driving less than an hour to a gun show in Indiana, where private sales are not recorded and do not require a background check.

“If you’re in the city of Chicago on the South Side, you may be closer to Indiana than you are to the Magnificent Mile,” said Roseanna Ander, executive director of the University of Chicago Crime Lab, referring to a well-known part of Chicago’s downtown.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

As a staunch textualist, I find that the right to bear four arms is incorporated by the due process clause of the 14th amendment.

Signed,
Antonin "Constructionist in the streets, functionalist in the sheets" Scalia, Esq.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

quote:

We have no information at this point to indicated that this is terrorism … in the traditional sense”, he says. But since investigations “can turn into a potential federal prosecution type thing,” he says the county asked for federal assistance immediately.

“At minimum we have a domestic terrorist type situation that occurred.”

What is the traditional sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont blame you at all and I agree. It will be a horrifying shitshow if these dudes end up being ISIS nuts. who knows who it could be. untill they are caught or more likely killed we probably wont know.

It's a loving nightmare scenario. Like man, I've got a horrible feeling that an attack is inevitable and we're just counting down the days before we shut out the refugees and throw all our Muslims (and probably sihks) into internment camps.

It loving sucks being too young to get booze.

• Locked thread