Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'm currently reading Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator by Ryan Holiday and it's all about generating fake outrage at something so blogs and other media pick it up and you get free publicity, I recommend it if you find this topic interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sout posted:

I love that PDF, it is terrible.
But I mean $1 million for the logo that will be used globally for Pepsi doesn't seem that ridiculous. Every other aspect is ridiculous, of course...

Yeah, people see that number and decide it's crazy without bothering to think through the math.

Assume:
-Pepsi ran focus groups in at least a few countries to detect differences in perceptions due to culture--eg the old accidentally racist problem.
-a number of designs, so all tests must be run multiple times
-All studies produce a of data, which must be checked for various trends, eg men like it more than women, whatever
-there is at least one high level managers involved, in the multi hundred k salary range

Pick any number of staff for each location, any reasonable pay range for a white collar worker with a few years experience, any project duration, and start multiplying. A million bucks is absolutely trivial for a logo redesign for a company that size.

And if any of you think any of the assumptions are unreasonable, I don't know what to tell you. We're not talking about a random billboard ad or TV commercial.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stick Insect posted:

I'm currently reading Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator by Ryan Holiday and it's all about generating fake outrage at something so blogs and other media pick it up and you get free publicity, I recommend it if you find this topic interesting.

I find it infuriating, but yeah I'm sure that happens all the time.

Clickbait buzzfeed headlines are everywhere and I hate that poo poo. Even Southpark is ripping on sponsored content right now.

This pretty much sums it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"You won't believe what happened next" in any sort of post, even if it leads to a heartwarming/funny video, just irritates me enough to not click on it. It's become such a ubiquitous phrase for lovely clickbait you'd think more writers would try to avoid it because of the connotations involved.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a lot of people just really can't believe what happens next

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its like "9 out of 10 doctors"

As if they just got this one stable of only 10 doctors with 9 yes men and 1 jerk and they just go to that same group of doctors every time. :v:

Or like every medication is approved by exactly 90% of the medical profession, no more, no less.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You won't believe what happened next!

PEPSI

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like "9 out of 10 doctors"

As if they just got this one stable of only 10 doctors with 9 yes men and 1 jerk and they just go to that same group of doctors every time. :v:

Or like every medication is approved by exactly 90% of the medical profession, no more, no less.

That's one of the oldest in the book. Just grab the company's cabinet of doctor and always have one say no. It's legal, it's not lying, yet portrays an effective but believable product. I've seen ads for cigarettes like that in books from the fifties that do the same thing.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, Lou Reed's never confirmed that the song is about OD'ing...

Five pages ago, sorry! but... whether or not Lou confirmed direct connotations for drug abuse or not, the song has a morose, sardonic downward turn to it that fits with the soporific pace of song, but not quite so much the inspiration of an Olympic athlete.
The darker lyrics were obviously and intentionally left off - "I thought I was someone else, someone good", "you're going to reap what you sow," these are elements that are an inseparable part of the overall quality of the song. So, directly stated or not, the song is definitely about a loser of some kind having a brief reprieve from their lovely life, and that reprieve is most likely a drug of some sort.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also, as far as Coke vs Pepsi marketing goes. Coke absolutely DOMINATES the third world. About a decade ago I did a road trip across South Africa, and every few miles was the same Coca-Cola designed billboard for "so and so's general store and fresh biltong."

Coke in the third world will happily market "so and so's corner shop" as long as they only sell Coca-Cola products.

Except in Laos where it's almost all Pepsi with Coke seldom being available (or at least that was the case last time I was there)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ramos posted:

That's one of the oldest in the book. Just grab the company's cabinet of doctor and always have one say no. It's legal, it's not lying, yet portrays an effective but believable product. I've seen ads for cigarettes like that in books from the fifties that do the same thing.

It feels like it should be illegal though. Same with actors claiming to be doctors for the purposes of ads. There's actually a big medical group about to go to task on congress to try to make medical advertisements illegal, which I am all for. That whole "talk to your doctor" thing is so stupid. He's a loving doctor. He knows more about medicine than you do.

Speaking of, all those made-up bogus professional sounding titles. Do those actually work on anybody anymore?

"our fitnessologists have determined that this workout machine burns 20% more fat than any other exercise!"

Hey, we made up the word 'fitnessologist' so there's no legal requirement!

Like I just heard a radio ad about electronic cigarettes, and it asked me to go speak with the "qualified nicologists" at the store about the product. "Nicologists" are you loving kidding me?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Just wanted to pop in and say that Coke and Pepsi taste the same.

Not trying to start anything here, since what I just said is categorically false in Australia - Coke tastes pretty good, Pepsi tastes like arse. Pepsi Max is okay, I guess, certainly better than Diet Coke, which is awful.

I'm just saying, when I visited the States earler this year I honestly could not tell the difference between regular coke and regular pepsi. They both taste like... well, kind of like a middle ground between the two, but leaning slightly towards a coke flavour.
For years I'd heard people say that coke and pepsi taste the same and thought they were nuts, coke and pepsi taste totally different, but nope.

In Vietnam had a coke, and it was unusually sweet there.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

princecoo posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that Coke and Pepsi taste the same.

Not trying to start anything here, since what I just said is categorically false in Australia - Coke tastes pretty good, Pepsi tastes like arse. Pepsi Max is okay, I guess, certainly better than Diet Coke, which is awful.

I'm just saying, when I visited the States earler this year I honestly could not tell the difference between regular coke and regular pepsi. They both taste like... well, kind of like a middle ground between the two, but leaning slightly towards a coke flavour.
For years I'd heard people say that coke and pepsi taste the same and thought they were nuts, coke and pepsi taste totally different, but nope.

In Vietnam had a coke, and it was unusually sweet there.

I've done a blind taste test before, and I could tell the difference just by the smell. Maybe it's more subtle if you're not used to the kind we have in the states, but they're far from the same.

e: the generic kind was pretty much the unanimous winner as far as taste went

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, I don't even like cola and I can tell the difference. Pepsi is sweeter, and Coke has more of that acidic bite to it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is Redbull cola available any more? I remember liking that a lot.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If you're young, your ability to tell that something is 'too sweet' might not be as well developed. When I was a kid I couldn't tell the difference, but as an adult I can definitely tell that Pepsi is a lot sweeter - I don't know how people drink that stuff.

Also, soda sales have been in decline for a while now. I think it peaked in '98, if memory serves.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As hard as it can be to believe sometimes, people are getting more health conscious (there's just sometimes confusion about what counts as "healthy") and Soda is like top of the list of the worst poo poo for you so that's not surprising.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

It's super interesting but I listened to the audiobook and he is as insufferable and unlikable as you'd imagine from someone who made a career out of doing that.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If you're young, your ability to tell that something is 'too sweet' might not be as well developed. When I was a kid I couldn't tell the difference, but as an adult I can definitely tell that Pepsi is a lot sweeter - I don't know how people drink that stuff.

Also, soda sales have been in decline for a while now. I think it peaked in '98, if memory serves.

I could tell there was a difference even when I was really little, but don't think I could articulate that it related to sweetness. Just a blatantly different taste, at least to me. Pepsi always has also tasted flatter somehow. Probably due to Coke's acidic taste Choco mentioned.

I loving love soda though and it's a miracle I never became (yet, I guess) one of those liter-a-day drinking people.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

When I was a little kid pepsi had a series of taste tests at the ball park my dad worked at. It's really easy to tell them apart, coke is way sweeter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ramos posted:

You don't even need to have your own doctors, just run a survey with the right questions worded the right way and you can basically generate the results you want.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zaphod42 posted:

People buy a whole drat lot of that sugar water though. Its a pretty good racket. But yeah health issues are getting people to slow down a bit.

Ads in videogames are a weird bunch. Most of the time its blatant and awful, but a few times it seems to make sense and even enhances the game. Jet Moto had Mountain Dew which was kinda cool and whatever, made enough sense.

The best was Crazy Taxi actually having like KFC restaurants and poo poo in the neighborhoods you drive around and drop people off at. Its like the perfect in-game ad, because it makes the game more realistic while also being an ad. Didn't feel intrusive at all.

I was playing Metal Gear Solid V and when characters put on sunglasses you are told the brand. I thought it was made up but, nope, real sunglasses for sale, from some company. It's not even Konami merch.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have heard that Coke from Mexico is better than Coke from the states because they use corn starch for the States Coke but cane sugar for the Coke from Mexico. I stopped drinking Coke ages ago so I can't really confirm.

As far as product placement, Skyfall, still has one of my favourite scenes of product placement. The entire scene is James Bond sitting upright in bed next to a naked sleeping woman. He is holding a bottle of Heineken with the label facing the camera. That is the entire scene.
There was another Heineken scene later on where they are MI-6 HQ looking at a giant screen and one of the employees there is drinking a Heineken while telling some exposition to Bond.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I have heard that Coke from Mexico is better than Coke from the states because they use corn starch for the States Coke but cane sugar for the Coke from Mexico. I stopped drinking Coke ages ago so I can't really confirm.

Sodas stopped using sugar in the US because import tariffs make sugar artificially expensive while at the same time subsidies make corn cheaper. But in other countries, like Mexico, they still use their sugar formula.

Not sure if HFCS is really any worse than regular sugar. It's not like it's helping Mexicans any since they consume more sugar than any country on the planet and actually rank even fatter than Americans. They could probably use some corn syrup down there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Not sure if HFCS is really any worse than regular sugar.

Regular sugar is a disaccharide, composed of 50% glucose and 50% fructose. When you eat it, enzymes split the disaccharide bond and convert it to just plain glucose and fructose.

HFCS used in soft drinks is water, glucose, and fructose. Not counting the water, it's 45% glucose and 55% fructose. There's not a big difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Madkal posted:

As far as product placement, Skyfall, still has one of my favourite scenes of product placement. The entire scene is James Bond sitting upright in bed next to a naked sleeping woman. He is holding a bottle of Heineken with the label facing the camera. That is the entire scene.
There was another Heineken scene later on where they are MI-6 HQ looking at a giant screen and one of the employees there is drinking a Heineken while telling some exposition to Bond.

Yeah I live in Texas and "Mexican Coke" is a big deal. They still come in glass bottles and they use cane suger which makes them taste sooooo much better. I'm not a big fan of normal coke but I'm definitely down for a mexican coke. Lots of stores in Texas will sell both, but like grocery stores not like at a restaurant.

They actually had the cool idea to sell Mountain Dew with cane sugar in it called Mountain Dew throwback, but I think they dropped it after awhile? And now there's ... "Dewshine". :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Ads in videogames are a weird bunch. Most of the time its blatant and awful, but a few times it seems to make sense and even enhances the game. Jet Moto had Mountain Dew which was kinda cool and whatever, made enough sense.

The best was Crazy Taxi actually having like KFC restaurants and poo poo in the neighborhoods you drive around and drop people off at. Its like the perfect in-game ad, because it makes the game more realistic while also being an ad. Didn't feel intrusive at all.
Saints Row 2 had this thing were they'd change the billboards around the city to advertise things. They had some kind of TV show on them or movie, but the one point people actually noticed was the Watchman and WWE ads.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

Regular sugar is a disaccharide, composed of 50% glucose and 50% fructose. When you eat it, enzymes split the disaccharide bond and convert it to just plain glucose and fructose.

HFCS used in soft drinks is water, glucose, and fructose. Not counting the water, it's 45% glucose and 55% fructose. There's not a big difference.

Pretty much. It's all right there in the name, it's just corn syrup with extra fructose in it. The reason it's bad isn't because it's worse for you than sugar, but because practically everything is loaded down with it these days.

e: to keep this post on topic, I've been seeing this commercial airing all the drat time lately. It took me a while to figure out what the game they're selling even is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnWADBx5uE

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Croccers posted:

Saints Row 2 had this thing were they'd change the billboards around the city to advertise things. They had some kind of TV show on them or movie, but the one point people actually noticed was the Watchman and WWE ads.

It was localized too. In Canada you'd instead see ads for Rogers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Rainbow 6 vegas did that too. Leading to me getting Canadian Forces recruitment ads.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's super interesting but I listened to the audiobook and he is as insufferable and unlikable as you'd imagine from someone who made a career out of doing that.

:agreed: I'm also listening to the audiobook version.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bunnyofdoom posted:

Rainbow 6 vegas did that too. Leading to me getting Canadian Forces recruitment ads.

I remember getting Always Sunny ads, so I was ok with this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Croccers posted:

There's a specific company that at least used to do this, I think. City of Heroes introduced it after a few years, with an option to turn it off, and apparently even the people who didn't touch that option never saw many of them.

A few years later they replaced them and a lot of the in-universe billboards with fake ads made by players. That's related to nothing, but I always thought it was neat.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It feels like it should be illegal though. Same with actors claiming to be doctors for the purposes of ads. There's actually a big medical group about to go to task on congress to try to make medical advertisements illegal, which I am all for. That whole "talk to your doctor" thing is so stupid. He's a loving doctor. He knows more about medicine than you do.
It's super weird you can advertise stuff that like in general. In Aus you'll see ads for low-level pain relief and basic allergy stuff but not for things like Willie's™ Butt Cancer Drug™! Better than other Butt Cancer Drugs™! Also try Willie's™ Internet Message Board Cancer Drug™!
Hell, at the moment one of the pain relief brands is getting taken to court because it's the same loving thing you can't charge an extra $5+ for the same thing in a different coloured packet.

Zaphod42 posted:

Like I just heard a radio ad about electronic cigarettes, and it asked me to go speak with the "qualified nicologists" at the store about the product. "Nicologists" are you loving kidding me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB-JO2j7MEQ

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

You don't even need to have your own doctors, just run a survey with the right questions worded the right way and you can basically generate the results you want.

You don't even necessarily need to go that far. For a lot of things you can slap a label of "health food" on it if you have "an expert" declare that it is, in fact, healthy. It doesn't even need to be a nutritionist, really. Plus you get garbage like a study comes out that says "people who eat oats have a slightly lower risk of heart disease" leads to cheerios saying "may reduce the risk of heart disease so eat up and live forever!"

Other than that health conscious people aren't always the best informed. Which is why you see "a naturally fat free food!" on bags of candy as if being zero fat but all sugar and nothing else somehow makes it healthy.

The rampant misinformation from the food industry doesn't make eating healthy easier.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You don't even necessarily need to go that far. For a lot of things you can slap a label of "health food" on it if you have "an expert" declare that it is, in fact, healthy. It doesn't even need to be a nutritionist, really.

About that...

quote:

A nutritionist is a non-accredited title that may apply to somebody who has done a short course in nutrition or who has given themselves this title. The term Nutritionist is not protected by law in almost all countries so people with different levels of and knowledge can call themselves a “Nutritionist”.

http://eatrightdc.org/dietitian-vs-nutritionist/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of advertising in video games, anyone remember Sneak King, that godawful MGS ripoff where you payed as the Burger King and snuck around various locations...to give unsuspecting people nightmares burgers?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of advertising in video games, anyone remember Sneak King, that godawful MGS ripoff where you payed as the Burger King and snuck around various locations...to give unsuspecting people nightmares burgers?

Is that why Kaz talking about burgers is a thing in MGSV? Because Snake sneaking around to give burgers doesn't sound out-of-place in a MG game tbh.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SavsJYXWgm8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I live in Texas and "Mexican Coke" is a big deal. They still come in glass bottles and they use cane suger which makes them taste sooooo much better. I'm not a big fan of normal coke but I'm definitely down for a mexican coke. Lots of stores in Texas will sell both, but like grocery stores not like at a restaurant.

They actually had the cool idea to sell Mountain Dew with cane sugar in it called Mountain Dew throwback, but I think they dropped it after awhile? And now there's ... "Dewshine". :v:

They still make Mountain Dew Throwback, Dewshine is actually what Mountain Dew was first introduced as, back when they marketed it as alcohol mixer. It doesn't really taste like Mountain Dew.

Pepsi has made some bone-headed marketing moves, but I kind of like how they're doubling down on sugar. Coke has stated they have no need to market sugar-Coke because people just import it from Mexico. But that means they're on the defensive when Pepsi makes a move like selling sodas with sugar or ditching aspartame - even if you can't taste a difference.