Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Anne Whateley posted:

It sounds more like she's bad at taking the pill daily but actually really good at prob & stat. There's no "maybe" about the need for condoms there. Something long-term definitely sounds better for her.

Yes, I would think depo or IUD would be way more reliable for someone who isn't good at remembering to take pills. (Though I don't think you have to be "superhuman" to remember to take a pill at roughly the same time every day, it's not everyone's best thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I love my copper IUD. Hormonal BC sucked for me, although I know it's amazing for a lot of people. Copper, on the other hand, has led to slightly heavier periods but less overall cramping, fewer horrible mood swings, and no worries about condoms or daily pills. Only once in 5 years have I been truly worried about pregnancy, and it was a false alarm. It's awesome. It helps that we're on a similar page about abortion, for sure. Have that discussion, because it should ideally inform your choice of birth control methods.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Faerunner posted:

I love my copper IUD. Hormonal BC sucked for me, although I know it's amazing for a lot of people. Copper, on the other hand, has led to slightly heavier periods but less overall cramping, fewer horrible mood swings, and no worries about condoms or daily pills. Only once in 5 years have I been truly worried about pregnancy, and it was a false alarm. It's awesome. It helps that we're on a similar page about abortion, for sure. Have that discussion, because it should ideally inform your choice of birth control methods.

How uncomfortable was it being placed? Are they different than other iud? I thought they were all made of plastics or something for flexibility.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Crazyeyes posted:

How uncomfortable was it being placed? Are they different than other iud? I thought they were all made of plastics or something for flexibility.
the plastic ones are saturated with hormones which are slowly released over the life of the device, while in the copper one it's the metal that does all the work and no hormones are involved
the copper one lasts longer but can lead to heavier periods, and is slightly less effective than the hormonal (although iirc still more effective than even getting your tubes tied)
the hormonal one can lighten or even eliminate periods entirely and is the 2nd most effective form of birth control after the implant (Nexplanon)
they're probably equally uncomfortable to get placed, which is extremely, but if you take a large dose of ibuprofen ~1 hour beforehand it helps a lot and the cramps should be gone entirely in a day or two

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

vaguely posted:

they're probably equally uncomfortable to get placed, which is extremely, but if you take a large dose of ibuprofen ~1 hour beforehand it helps a lot and the cramps should be gone entirely in a day or two

Well this disqualifies the IUD method, then. Gf all about avoiding discomfort.

Anyone have the implant that can talk more about that?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the implant is placed in the arm using a large needle, the area is numbed beforehand so it doesn't hurt at all and you just have to deal with a bruise for a couple days afterwards
the implant itself is about the size of a grain of rice and apparently you can feel it under the skin if you know where it is
it uses the same hormone as the IUD just in a different dose so it's extremely effective and has similar side effects, and it's very common to not have periods with that form of birth control also
it lasts for ~3 years, then they pull it out (again with a local anaesthetic) and you can get another one if you want
it's very popular in the birth control megathread, for good reason

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've had the implant for like 7? 8? years and I like it so much that I talk about it nonstop in the birth control megathread. A bunch of other people have gotten on board, too, which is awesome.

Vaguely gets it almost perfect but just a couple things: it's the size of a matchstick, and it has a different hormone (same type of hormone, though) than the IUD. It's true the procedure is super fast and painless! It's the most effective birth control of all, plus about 30% of women conveniently stop having a period by the end of the first year. You also can't gently caress it up at all -- nothing to do or not do, it's okay if you barf or take antibiotics or change time zones, all the stuff that people usually have to worry about.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's also the contraceptive injection. which is halfway between the pill and the implant in that you have to remember to take it but each injection lasts 3 months. At first you have to get it from the doctor but you can get cleared to get a stock and inject at home (this is in the UK btw). My GF used to have an implant but switched to injection as it totally got rid of her periods. No babies either yet :ohdear:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the main problem with the injection is that a looooooot of women have really bad side effects (mood problems are the big one there) and if you end up being one of them, you're stuck with them for the next 3 months no matter what, whereas with any of the other methods you can just stop taking them or have them removed and be basically fine

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

There's also a non-hormonal BC pill that you can take once a week, called centchroman (brand name Saheli). You have to special order it if you live in the US, but it's still dirt cheap compared to other contraceptive methods. I have been on it since 2007 and no babies yet. In fact, when I went off of it because my ex had a vasectomy, I found out the hard way that the Saheli was actually keeping my endometriosis under control. I switched to a hormonal BC pill and got so hosed up I needed a second surgery just to remove some new, rapidly-sprouting endo growths. Saheli has literally been a life saver for me and I'm probably going to be on it for the rest of my reproductive life.

But yeah, for someone who doesn't have complications from endometriosis the most common side effects of Saheli are bad cramps for your very first period on it, irregular/spotty periods, and increased acne/body hair. It is also -slightly- less effective than typical oral contraceptive pills, with a 1-2% failure rate. I'd highly recommend it for people who either can't remember to take their pills daily or can't handle the emotional/physical changes hormonal birth control pills can cause.

EDIT: The way it works is by basically loving with the female's cycle to make sure things don't line up right. Copy paste from a site:

-It increases the movement of the fertilized ovum through the fallopian tubes so that it reaches the uterus too early and the endometrium is not ready for implantation at that time.
-It increases the rate of maturation of the ovum so that it is hypermature when it reaches the endometrium and fails to implant in it.
-It slows down the growth and development of the endometrium so that it is not adequately prepared to receive the fertilized ovum when it reaches the uterus.

Wikipedia on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormeloxifene

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 3, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

There's also a non-hormonal BC pill that you can take once a week, called centchroman (brand name Saheli). You have to special order it if you live in the US, but it's still dirt cheap compared to other contraceptive methods.
I'm super glad it works so well for you. But it's not just that you have to special-order it, it's that it's not FDA-approved in the US, so afaik you have to illegally import it from India?

(And other contraceptives should all be free in the US now. Obamacare :911:)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crazyeyes posted:

Well this disqualifies the IUD method, then. Gf all about avoiding discomfort.

My wife has a Mirena (hormonal IUD,) she's the biggest baby on the planet and said it wasn't that big of a deal. During the insertion she said as soon as she wished I was there to hold her hand during it was over, and was back to normal with no more pain than what she usually experienced during a period within about 12 hours.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm super glad it works so well for you. But it's not just that you have to special-order it, it's that it's not FDA-approved in the US, so afaik you have to illegally import it from India?

(And other contraceptives should all be free in the US now. Obamacare :911:)

Yeah, you do. :( I've never had it shipped back or gotten in trouble though, have a feeling those rules are more for pillheads ordering oxys and stuff because I'm sure Customs has looked at my packages before. You also only have to order about 1 pack every 2 years.

EDIT doing some reading and it says "no law explicitly forbids importing prescription drugs from other countries, so long as they are not controlled substances and that the purchase is done with the knowledge and approval of a licensed physician." Maybe if someone wants to cover their rear end, they could explain this drug to their GYN and get written permission? All of my doctors already know about the pill.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

vaguely posted:

the implant itself is about the size of a grain of rice and apparently you can feel it under the skin if you know where it is

I just wanted to correct this: this implant is about the size of a match stick - not a grain of rice.

Anne Whateley's raves about it made me get one too.

You can see the implant under my skin in this image, as well as the small insertion scar just above it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cuckoo posted:

EDIT doing some reading and it says "no law explicitly forbids importing prescription drugs from other countries, so long as they are not controlled substances and that the purchase is done with the knowledge and approval of a licensed physician." Maybe if someone wants to cover their rear end, they could explain this drug to their GYN and get written permission? All of my doctors already know about the pill.

My wife was considering the same stuff from India before passage of the ACA (she's hypothyroid, before no insurance company would cover her) and I researched it, apparently worst case scenario is customs will intercept the package and send you a postcard stating they found contraband in your package and instructions for appealing the decision. The vice squad isn't going to kick your door down over non FDA approved oral contraception.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Geoj posted:

My wife was considering the same stuff from India before passage of the ACA (she's hypothyroid, before no insurance company would cover her) and I researched it, apparently worst case scenario is customs will intercept the package and send you a postcard stating they found contraband in your package and instructions for appealing the decision. The vice squad isn't going to kick your door down over non FDA approved oral contraception.

Thanks for the info. That does make me feel better v:shobon:v I'd appeal it all day, they'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers now after all of the help it's done honestly.

EDIT - On the same topic, one time I ordered it and it took a really long time to arrive. Like almost 2 months instead of the 3 weeks it took usually. I have a feeling it went to Customs and they said "ahh gently caress it".

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 3, 2015

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I just wanted to correct this: this implant is about the size of a match stick - not a grain of rice.
yeah sorry, i thought it was smaller than it is :shobon: still, not some massive chunk of plastic lol

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Reformed Tomboy posted:

You can see the implant under my skin in this image, as well as the small insertion scar just above it.

:aaa: that's definitely shallower than normal! I've never seen mine, and tbh I'd freak out if I did. Yours is neat to see, though. I'm on my third, and it's a little too deep, but in general you should only be able to even feel them if you go hunting.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Anne Whateley posted:

:aaa: that's definitely shallower than normal! I've never seen mine, and tbh I'd freak out if I did. Yours is neat to see, though. I'm on my third, and it's a little too deep, but in general you should only be able to even feel them if you go hunting.

I'm pulling my skin on the counter. You couldn't see it normally, but it was very easy to feel.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

There's also a non-hormonal BC pill that you can take once a week, called centchroman (brand name Saheli). You have to special order it if you live in the US, but it's still dirt cheap compared to other contraceptive methods. I have been on it since 2007 and no babies yet. In fact, when I went off of it because my ex had a vasectomy, I found out the hard way that the Saheli was actually keeping my endometriosis under control. I switched to a hormonal BC pill and got so hosed up I needed a second surgery just to remove some new, rapidly-sprouting endo growths. Saheli has literally been a life saver for me and I'm probably going to be on it for the rest of my reproductive life.

But yeah, for someone who doesn't have complications from endometriosis the most common side effects of Saheli are bad cramps for your very first period on it, irregular/spotty periods, and increased acne/body hair. It is also -slightly- less effective than typical oral contraceptive pills, with a 1-2% failure rate. I'd highly recommend it for people who either can't remember to take their pills daily or can't handle the emotional/physical changes hormonal birth control pills can cause.

EDIT: The way it works is by basically loving with the female's cycle to make sure things don't line up right. Copy paste from a site:

-It increases the movement of the fertilized ovum through the fallopian tubes so that it reaches the uterus too early and the endometrium is not ready for implantation at that time.
-It increases the rate of maturation of the ovum so that it is hypermature when it reaches the endometrium and fails to implant in it.
-It slows down the growth and development of the endometrium so that it is not adequately prepared to receive the fertilized ovum when it reaches the uterus.

Wikipedia on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormeloxifene

So it's primarily a contragestive? That's unusual.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Another convert thanks to Anne Whateley's raves in the BC megathread. I did switch to the copper IUD once my first implant was up, but that wasn't about how I felt about implanon and more that I needed a change to non-hormonal. Had the copper IUD for almost 2 years and it's freaking amazing. I do sometimes wish I was back on HBC because I liked the lightened period, but after a few months it evened out and it's back to pre-HBC levels. I will never use another method besides IUD or implant, has the lowest failure rate and it's idiot proof. And I'm an idiot.

Is yours in your wrist/forearm?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Geoj posted:

My wife has a Mirena (hormonal IUD,) she's the biggest baby on the planet and said it wasn't that big of a deal. During the insertion she said as soon as she wished I was there to hold her hand during it was over, and was back to normal with no more pain than what she usually experienced during a period within about 12 hours.
I have one as well, and I had nasty cramps and breast soreness for about a week that slowly dissipated over a month or two after the insertion. My experience was extra lovely, though, since I'm transgender and the pain plus knowledge that a thing was in my uterus really set off my body dysphoria. I think part of the reason it was particularly rough for me was that my body was adjusting to a lower hormone dose--I'd been on birth control pills, which have a higher dose than the Mirena, for years and years before that.

However, I haven't had a single period or any cramps or even spotting since then, it's totally undetectable, and I don't have to worry about pills or pregnancy, which makes it completely worth it for me.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wow, I'm pretty well-versed on contraception and have only just heard of this! It's a really interesting drug that I'll be keeping an ear out for more information about.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

ilysespieces posted:

Is yours in your wrist/forearm?

Haha, no. That's my elbow pit in the picture. It was on the very inside lower part of my upper right arm.

I loved how mindless it was, but I got it taken out a year early due to endless spotting.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

I had moderate-severe cramping in the first few hours after it was placed, mild cramping intermittently the next week or so afterward and my abdomen felt slightly tender. I took Ibuprofen beforehand as directed, and was offered more at the office when I got there to have it inserted. Otherwise, I have had no symptoms resulting from placement. We resumed having sex two or three days after placement; he said he could feel the strings (they're made of a stiff nylon that softens over time) but otherwise had no complaints. These days the strings have curled up around my cervix and are difficult to find/feel unless you're digging for them. As everyone else has already answered, the copper one is different because it has no hormones but it IS flexible plastic with copper inserted on the arms. They come in a little tube like an itty-bitty tampon, which the gynecologist will insert through the cervix, and then when she pulls the tube out the arms unfold to hold the thing in place in the uterus. Placement is quick and for me felt like a very sharp pinching feeling - uncomfortable but brief, not much worse than having a tissue sample collected for a pap test, if your gf has ever done that before.

While the Mirena hormonal IUD works similarly to the pill and other HBC methods, the copper IUD produces an environment that is literally toxic to developing embryos, therefore ensuring that if any fertilized egg makes it to the uterus it won't implant and the pregnancy will fail. It's pretty cool telling people I have a toxic womb. :awesome:

Edit: I hadn't heard of centchroman before but it looks interesting! Yay for science. And sex without babies!

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 3, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Faerunner posted:

We resumed having sex two or three days after placement; he said he could feel the strings (they're made of a stiff nylon that softens over time) but otherwise had no complaints.

My wife has had her IUD for about two and a half years now, I could initially feel the strings but they've since softened or curled and it's been a good 8 months since the last time I felt them.

Even when they were still poking me it wasn't any worse than having teeth lightly scraped across the head during a blowjob, although if you aren't into that I guess it could be unpleasant...

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I've found that for me at least, a guy whose penis doesn't reach past the opening of my cervix can feel the strings. My ex was way up there and had no problem, other guys since have mentioned it and I've noticed it's the shorter-dicked dudes.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Told my girlfriend about the copper out. Now she thinks her uterus will literally rot out of her abdomen if she gets it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No offense dude, but she sounds like a piece of work.

If I were you, I'd be pulling out the "You're going to pick one if you want to get laid" card. Because drat.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

KillHour posted:

No offense dude, but she sounds like a piece of work.

If I were you, I'd be pulling out the "You're going to pick one if you want to get laid" card. Because drat.

I agree; saying "this FDA-approved outpatient procedure that thousands get every year without incident will cause my uterus to necrotize" is not a rational response. You have to ask yourself why is she shooting down every alternative to condoms so strongly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just using your hand would be better than dealing with someone that neurotic.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My girlfriend has an IUD and I've only felt the strings, like, twice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KillHour posted:

Nulshit is a dude.
Marginally.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mad Hamish posted:

My girlfriend has an IUD and I've only felt the strings, like, twice.

Sorry to hear that bro

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I have a weird sex problem. During sex, if I'm thrusting hard or going for a long time, I find that my rear end gets really sweaty. I don't sweat that much overall but my rear end will just start dripping sweat. It's really gross and distracting. My gf hasn't said anything about it but I'm sure she's noticed. Anyone else had this problem? I don't know what to do about it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You get sweaty during sex, fact of life.

Alternatively you can have sex in a really cold room, in the shower, or stop and wipe it off with a towel if it really bothers you.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Or let her on top, less chance of sweat and if you do, it's not stopping in hers. Plus, you get to chill and enjoy while she expresses herself, which is fun in its own right.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

gentle pete posted:

So I have a weird sex problem. During sex, if I'm thrusting hard or going for a long time, I find that my rear end gets really sweaty. I don't sweat that much overall but my rear end will just start dripping sweat. It's really gross and distracting. My gf hasn't said anything about it but I'm sure she's noticed. Anyone else had this problem? I don't know what to do about it

Sounds like a really excellent natural lubricant, have you talked to your gf about pegging?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Or let her on top, less chance of sweat and if you do, it's not stopping in hers. Plus, you get to chill and enjoy while she expresses herself, which is fun in its own right.

This is actually the worst idea for a sweaty butt since he will just leave a huge soaking sweat skidmark on the bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Time to discover a fetish for goldbond.