Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Holy poo poo, there's a Napalm Death/Melvins/Melt-Banana tour this spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Henchman of Santa posted:

Holy poo poo.

Edit: dates.

quote:

March 26 Phoenix, AZ The Marquee
March 28 Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theater
March 30 Dallas, TX Trees
March 31 Austin, TX The Mohawk
April 1 Houston, TX Fitzgerald’s
April 2 New Orleans, LA One Eyed Jacks
April 3 Birmingham, AL Iron City
April 4 Pensacola, FL Vinyl Music Hall
April 5 Tallahassee, FL Sidebar Theater
April 7 Ft. Lauderdale, FL The Culture Room
April 8 Orlando, FL The Plaza Live
April 9 Tampa, FL The Orpheum
April 10 Atlanta, GA The Masquerade
April 12 Washington, DC 930 Club
April 13 Philadelphia, PA Underground Arts
April 14 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
April 15 New York, NY Webster Hall
April 16 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
April 17 Montreal, QC Club Soda
April 19 Toronto, ON The Opera House
April 20 Detroit, MI Majestic Theatre
April 21 Cleveland, OH Agora Ballroom
April 22 Chicago, IL The Metro
April 23 Milwaukee, WI The Rave II (Downstairs)
April 24 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue
April 25 Omaha, NE The Waiting Room
April 27 Denver, CO Ogden Theatre
April 29 Salt Lake City, UT Urban Lounge
May 1 Seattle, WA The Showbox
May 2 Vancouver, BC The Venue
May 3 Portland, OR Roseland Theater
May 5 San Francisco, CA Slim’s
May 6 San Francisco, CA Slim’s
May 7 Los Angeles, CA The Troubadour
May 8 Los Angeles, CA The Troubadour

Dick Boat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 1, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're officially out there, but I'm phone posting. I'll be hitting up Metro in Chicago on April 22.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

A few pages late to the party, but thanks to everyone who recommended Visigoth, picked theeir album up with weekend and it's very killed. Just what I wanted.

On a similar but older theme, I also got Twisted Tower Dire's Crest of the Martyrs. I'm not sure if they've done anything good lately, but it's another good slab of American classic metal.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Buddy of mine mentioned this at work but left Melt-Banana out. This just got a shitload more interesting.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Gamma Nerd posted:

if you dig into the genre you'll find a few gems and a lot of things that aren't worth keeping.
This is true of literally every genre of music ever.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
I missed Napalm Death the last time they came to Vancouver, guess I gotta go to this one even though I'm not a big fan of The Melvins; I mean, I like some of their songs, but don't follow them religiously.

And I hadn't heard of Melt-Banana before, the music is OK but holy poo poo that singer is terrible.

It's an interesting line-up to say the least.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Well, yeah, but metal fans tend to think of metal as a subculture rather than just a musical genre, so there's a lot of entrenched loyalty there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Yes, but some have better ratios of good:bad than others. Obviously a lot of it's a matter of taste--some genre conventions are just easier on the ears for some people than others (which is part of why I like metal so much in general).

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah, for example, it's hard to make bad goregrind because sounding like absolute sloppy poo poo is most of the appeal of that genre

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Crazy Larry posted:

It would probably help if there were more than 5 bands that realized that 2005 was 10 years ago and they can try writing something new now.

By this you mean... power metallers should stop trying to be the followup to Nightwish's last album with Tarja? Although TBF that was/is probably the peak of operatic lady vocal metal. Or should they try writing something besides lyrics inspired by LOTR?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just put the power back to power metal, tia

I mean sure I enjoy the occasional pompous cheesecake, but I do wish more bands quit the orchestras and keyboard wankery and went back to doing more straightforward energetic poo poo like this

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

By this you mean... power metallers should stop trying to be the followup to Nightwish's last album with Tarja? Although TBF that was/is probably the peak of operatic lady vocal metal. Or should they try writing something besides lyrics inspired by LOTR?

I don't really worry about the whole operatic female vocalist side of the genre because it's just sort of a guilty pleasure that I'll consume voraciously for a week and then forget about entirely. It's more the whole Rhapsody worship, check out our awesome epic fantasy concept album complete with

Nordick posted:

I mean sure I enjoy the occasional pompous cheesecake, but I do wish more bands quit the orchestras and keyboard wankery

A lot of it isn't even really bad, it's just that I've heard it 500 times already and it just blurs together after a while.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

I mean sure I enjoy the occasional pompous cheesecake, but I do wish more bands quit the orchestras and keyboard wankery and went back to doing more straightforward energetic poo poo like this
Jesus, I had no idea how much Gamma Ray was aping Blind Guardian during their late-nineties era. (I was mostly familiar with their Motorhead/Priest worship early nineties stuff.)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

Jesus, I had no idea how much Gamma Ray was aping Blind Guardian during their late-nineties era. (I was mostly familiar with their Motorhead/Priest worship early nineties stuff.)
This is okay since I'm digging this song.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I still maintain that Iron Savior is the better version of Gamma Ray, with the caveat that I've not heard anything of theirs post-Unification.

But just listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ6uGxHnsKM

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Nordick posted:

Crazy Larry posted:

A lot of it isn't even really bad, it's just that I've heard it 500 times already and it just blurs together after a while.

Yeah, same. It does blur and it really sounds like trying to confuse people with so much poo poo at once to make them think it must be good. Hell even the older Nightwish stuff was pretty simple with the keyboards or maybe a solo violin or something doing what they use 300 cellos for nowadays.

I guess they're technically symphonic metal and have been for over a decade now but some power metal keeps trying to be that other subgenre for some reason. Fortunately guys like Sabaton and Gamma Ray keeping doing their thing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking of power metal, what do people like about Mathias Blad from Falconer? He sounds like the power metal Greg Graffin.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

kajeto posted:

I missed Napalm Death the last time they came to Vancouver, guess I gotta go to this one even though I'm not a big fan of The Melvins; I mean, I like some of their songs, but don't follow them religiously.

And I hadn't heard of Melt-Banana before, the music is OK but holy poo poo that singer is terrible.

It's an interesting line-up to say the least.

Melt Banana loving rule live. Out of everyone at MDF last year, their set was the most fun.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The Euro stuff can be hit or miss, but old American power metal totally rips.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Speaking of power metal, what do people like about Mathias Blad from Falconer? He sounds like the power metal Greg Graffin.

Ehhhh he's no less classically trained than Tarja. Maybe male operatic vocalists just aren't your cup of tea? I got to see Falconer live and he's great out of the studio too.

Either way it could be worse. He could be power metal Fat Mike. :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ehhhh he's no less classically trained than Tarja. Maybe male operatic vocalists just aren't your cup of tea? I got to see Falconer live and he's great out of the studio too.
I dig operatic vocalists, but in everything I've heard by them, he's got no power behind it and he's putting out volume like he's singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" on an album of Swedish Christmas carols while the rest of the band cranks to 11. Have I just heard the wrong stuff in their discography?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Hm... they had a replacement (terrible) vocalist in the middle of their career until they got Blad back, you might've heard some of his songs. I forget his name. Check out the songs from Black Moon Rising for what they're like most recently. An older song with Blad on it that's heavy and loud would be Heresy in Disguise from their first album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hm... they had a replacement (terrible) vocalist in the middle of their career until they got Blad back, you might've heard some of his songs. I forget his name. Check out the songs from Black Moon Rising for what they're like most recently. An older song with Blad on it that's heavy and loud would be Heresy in Disguise from their first album.
Yeah, I heard the title track from that album and he sounded like he was improvising, slightly out of time, singing lower than his vocal range really permits and not really caring about anything the rest of the band was doing. It's just such a far cry from singers like Timo Kotipelto on the old Stratovarius stuff where the singer is right out front and so completely into everything else that's going on. He's obviously really competent but just sounds weird and out of place with the band.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

MrBling posted:

I still maintain that Iron Savior is the better version of Gamma Ray, with the caveat that I've not heard anything of theirs post-Unification.

They're still very good. The vocals got angrier/more powerful sounding I think.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Cryptopsy - The Book of Suffering - Tome 1 rules

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

DeusExMachinima posted:

I liked the first Falconer album just because the guitarist ( Stefan Weinerhall ) was from the epic Mithotyn and I desperately wanted more of that guitar sound.

Mathias is OK but I agree that he never has any power behind his vocals, except for very rare moments in some songs on that album. Even if you take "Heresy in Disguise", most of the time, as with most of the songs, it's kind of like he's "sing talking" or to rephrase, that he's just kind of talking musically rather than actually singing. [edit] I get that that is kind of the point of Falconer, it's like a bard/minstrel telling a folk story, but it doesn't change how weak his vocals sound most of the time.

The bright side though is that I just remembered how much I loved Mithotyn and wish they hadn't dissolved in '99. For mid late 90's folk/black metal it really doesn't get any better than this ( although their latter 2 albums are the best, the first is kind of meh ).

King of the Distant Forest album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js6kDCE1r8A

Gathered Around the Oaken Table album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-a40HAK4_s

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 3, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Mithotyn owns

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
More metal drama around Immortal/Abbath. Sounds like sour grapes from Demonaz and Horgh to me - they're saying Abbath has a substance abuse problem/never attended rehearsals and THAT is why they split up and haven't released an album in years. :2bong: :beerpal:

Abbath wrote ALL the music - the other guys did gently caress all except for the lyrics ( lol ) and right now Abbath is the one who's already touring and releasing an album. The comments on this post on their facebook are pretty great. :munch:

https://www.facebook.com/immortalofficial/photos/a.442873947317.234252.7973092317/10153839881207318/?type=3

Immortal Facebook page posted:

After the IMMORTAL trademark case was closed by “PATENTSTYRET” (Norway’s Patent Office) in November 2015, Demonaz and Horgh can finally share their side of the story for the first time.

The conflict was not about anyone leaving the band as Abbath claimed. It was all about his personal problems. He had cancelled rehearsals and ruined the band’s progress for a very long time. We were forced to confront him about it.

Abbath recently told Australian website (TheMusic.com.au) that we wanted things solely on our own timetable and that we claimed he needed rehab.

The band had to reschedule rehearsals all the time because of him. Even then, he did not show up. He told the band, friends, and family that he needed to go to rehab again. He had got help from a clinic before. We offered to wait for him to recover this time also. Sadly he changed his decision.

Instead of trying to solve his problems, he went behind our back and secretly applied for a trademark ownership of the bands logo and name. It was hard to believe that his problems had led him to such a point.

When his attempt to get the rights was discovered by the band, he all of a sudden went solo. His accusations against the band in media changed from day to day. The fans started to question his version and wanted us to speak about what really happened. Unfortunately, we had to wait until the case was
all closed, to make a statement.

His trademark application was denied and the case closed by Patentstyret in November, 2015. One of the reasons was because he had only contributed as a co-writer of music in IMMORTAL. Nor did he contribute any lyrics or titles to the bands albums. The fact is that the music has always been a result from the band as a unit.

IMMORTAL will record the new and long awaited album in 2016, which will be released by Nuclear Blast Records.
We are well prepared and looking forward to present the new material to the fans. We did not want to rush things, but take the time to deliver another high quality IMMORTAL album.

More news is coming soon.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vulture Culture posted:

Jesus, I had no idea how much Gamma Ray was aping Blind Guardian during their late-nineties era.
Huh, I've been listening to both bands for close to 20 years now and I don't really hear any BG-aping in GR's music? They have different enough sounds to me.

MrBling posted:

I disagree about the "better" part, but I do concur that they are very good and a cool "sister band" for Gamma Ray. I haven't really listened to them a whole lot since Dark Assault, which was the one after Unification and also really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe7--OHTacM

Like Defiant Sally said, they're still pretty good. I grabbed Rise of the Hero from 2014 and I like it.

Vulture Culture posted:

I know he doesn't sound very powerful at all, but I don't think he's supposed to. I like him because his voice is very pleasant, and the contrast it creates with the crunchy guitars is cool and makes for a kinda unique sound. I understand why it wouldn't be everyone's thing, though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TollTheHounds posted:

More metal drama around Immortal/Abbath. Sounds like sour grapes from Demonaz and Horgh to me - they're saying Abbath has a substance abuse problem/never attended rehearsals and THAT is why they split up and haven't released an album in years. :2bong: :beerpal:

Abbath wrote ALL the music - the other guys did gently caress all except for the lyrics ( lol ) and right now Abbath is the one who's already touring and releasing an album. The comments on this post on their facebook are pretty great. :munch:

https://www.facebook.com/immortalofficial/photos/a.442873947317.234252.7973092317/10153839881207318/?type=3

I am so 100% team abbath it's not even funny. What a bunch of whiny children.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Nordick posted:

Huh, I've been listening to both bands for close to 20 years now and I don't really hear any BG-aping in GR's music? They have different enough sounds to me.

I disagree about the "better" part, but I do concur that they are very good and a cool "sister band" for Gamma Ray. I haven't really listened to them a whole lot since Dark Assault, which was the one after Unification and also really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe7--OHTacM

Sasha Paeth, who's the Scott Burns of German power metal, had a band in the late 80's early 90's and it's pretty kick rear end . Definitely worth adding to the Iron Savior, Gamma Ray and Primal Fear rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yrqdl-osc

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

saviro posted:

Sasha Paeth, who's the Scott Burns of German power metal, had a band in the late 80's early 90's and it's pretty kick rear end . Definitely worth adding to the Iron Savior, Gamma Ray and Primal Fear rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yrqdl-osc
I've heard the name of this band and I'm certain I've seen that cover art before (that loving dragon isn't exactly forgettable), but I don't think I've listened to them before. This is really, really good stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

Feb 8, 2008
Power metal chat:
Check out Merging Flare, they have one album out and it's total Gamma Ray/90's power metal worship of the best kind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTMnHkNf-Bk

Finally broke down and got the new Gloryhammer.
Being a big Alestorm fan I have no idea why it took me so long to get into these guys. Are they serious? Is it all a big joke? Who cares it's awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXzMD065HEk

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nordick posted:

I'm not accusing them of being a Blind Guardian cover band around that period or anything, but basically the entire track "Somewhere Out in Space" (and especially its arrangement) is ripped straight out of the Blind Guardian songbook. It's most obvious in the chorus, but the guitar leads are straight-on Olbrich in the first half of the song. At first I thought it was just the same producer as Imaginations but it turns out that Hansen and Schlachter self-produced that album. They've guested back and forth between each others' albums so it isn't even surprising at all, I just thought it was neat.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 4, 2015

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

TollTheHounds posted:

No offense, but you don't appear to have any clue over the history of the band. Demonaz may have only written the lyrics in latter days, but he was a full contributing member on early Immortal material. There's a massive difference in the guitars when you compare his playing with Abbath's - whether that's down to simply stylistic differences or Abbath not being able to play at the same speed Demonaz could (although still quick), makes it impossible to say who was the primary writer of leads on early material. But Demonaz is credited with songwriting on a few of the albums for sure.

As for touring - Demonaz has acute tendinitis. He won't be doing that soon with anyone, he can't even play on albums.

The whole situation is pathetic, Gorgoroth MkII but even worse.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

7734 posted:

Power metal chat:
Check out Merging Flare, they have one album out and it's total Gamma Ray/90's power metal worship of the best kind.

Hah no wonder they're Gamma Ray worship, it has (main?) people from Guardians of Mankind, a GR tribute band. Be adding to my to buy list.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

The Clit Avoider posted:

No offense, but you don't appear to have any clue over the history of the band. Demonaz may have only written the lyrics in latter days, but he was a full contributing member on early Immortal material. There's a massive difference in the guitars when you compare his playing with Abbath's - whether that's down to simply stylistic differences or Abbath not being able to play at the same speed Demonaz could (although still quick), makes it impossible to say who was the primary writer of leads on early material. But Demonaz is credited with songwriting on a few of the albums for sure.

As for touring - Demonaz has acute tendinitis. He won't be doing that soon with anyone, he can't even play on albums.

The whole situation is pathetic, Gorgoroth MkII but even worse.

No offense taken - You're right, I didn't bother to look at their first albums to confirm/deny song-writing contribution.

Regardless, for me, the pinnacle of Immortal was At the Heart of Winter and that is the first album post-Demonaz song-writing contribution so I never really associate Demonaz with doing anything other than the lyrics. Which is all he's ever been credited for on the albums from that point on. So no, Abbath didn't literally solo write every single Immortal song ever - just the ones from 1999 on which are the only ones I keep coming back to.

I'll amend my statement for posterity's sake:

TollTheHounds posted:

Abbath has written ALL the music since 1999 - the other guys have done gently caress all except for the lyrics ( lol ) and right now Abbath is the one who's already touring and releasing an album. The comments on this post on their facebook are pretty great. :munch:

I still maintain this is sour grapes, Demonaz & Horgh don't want their legacy erased even though they haven't really done much in terms of contributing to the Immortal "sound" since 1997, and I assume they don't want to lose the $0.01/month they might get on royalties or something.

Abbath wanted to keep going and since the other guys either couldn't, or wouldn't ( because of lack of time, they hate each other, or Abbath is always wasted ), and legally he can't take the Immortal name, he went solo.

Either way :sissies:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
this is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPaOhag5-r4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope they got the okay from their teacher to use that bunsen burner.