Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Although I now need to replace my waterpump and fix some small issues that arose, I made it back in one piece!

The shimmed VLSD handled better than I expected. Next time I'll make sure to have some sort of camera mount set up in the car, but here's some footage I took while my friend was driving:

http://youtu.be/kqR_xD-CD04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Seems like the perfect track to go to if you don't care about your body panels / body / life

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I was going to say, I've never been at one of those events, but holy gently caress those cars were too close for my comfort. :eyepop:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

TheGoatTrick posted:

The dealer with the car I want says they will honor S-plan, so hopefully I can get a code while the car's available and all of my coupons still apply. :ohdear:
Update: :toot:

It was actually kind of complicated. The dealer that I had a deal with "sold" the car while I was waiting to get my X-plan/S-plan code. In reality, it ended up at the nearest dealer to me through a dealer trade. They wouldn't go for the S-plan at first, but after I mentioned that I already had another dealer ready, they phoned back. The sales guy explained that [bs]he bypassed his manager and spoke to the dealership owner, and the owner approved the deal since I've bought three cars from them previously[/bs].

S-plan saved about $1600 (on top of the current $500 rebate for current Mazda owners), so big thanks to Phone for bringing that up. Seriously, I will PayPal you some beer money if you PM me your email address. I still haven't heard from Ford shareholder relations about getting an X-plan through that route, but I found out that I also get it through work. If you Google "Ford X-plan [your company name]" there are lists that come up that show a ton of the eligible companies; the program is not actually advertised by my employer. Also, the SCCA route for Mazda S-plan is no longer good. I got an email from someone at SCCA saying that Mazda is putting together a new program and it will be announced in a few weeks.

Also, I'm debating removing that rear spoiler. I think it's only held on with adhesive or foam tape?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ceramic Metallic? Glad you were able to save some money.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Good color choice

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah get rid of the spoiler it looks dumb. Otherwise great buy, love the color.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Oh my. Don't you dare touch that spoiler.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
It turns out that the spoiler is bolted to the trunk lid, so that makes the decision to keep it much easier!

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I'm slowly making my way through this thread, and gradually becoming more and more convinced that IF I get a 2nd car, it will be a Miata. Only problem is I'm 6'3, and I've never sat in one. Normally I'd head over to a dealership or find a private seller and take one for a spin, but there are literally 3 for sale in VT, and they're all NC's for $7k+.
I know it's a loooong shot, but is there anyone here with an NA or NB in VT that'd let me sit in their car?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alright bandaid haters, I found a local tuner who does lots of ms stuff so the o2 modifier is out and a megasquirt will be going in over Christmas. Went with the ms3basic from mslabs. Also putting in different injectors since it sounds like the stock mazdaspeed guys are a bit small.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Surprise. Dropped the 1.6 off at the machine shop, and a 1999 1.8l BP4W with transmission, differential, drive shaft, and axles shows up for $1000.

Going to have to call them and tell them to not take apart the 1.6. Might get the heads worked on the BP4W since I'm trying to build a relationship with the shop. Maybe new piston rings.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

martinlutherbling posted:

I'm slowly making my way through this thread, and gradually becoming more and more convinced that IF I get a 2nd car, it will be a Miata. Only problem is I'm 6'3, and I've never sat in one. Normally I'd head over to a dealership or find a private seller and take one for a spin, but there are literally 3 for sale in VT, and they're all NC's for $7k+.
I know it's a loooong shot, but is there anyone here with an NA or NB in VT that'd let me sit in their car?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're probably not going to find any Miata comfortable. You're about 6" taller than me and I barely fit in my own NB. That being said, don't rule out an NC; they've been dropping in price and are good values since the ND came out. At the very least take one for a spin; you may actually like it, or at worst you'll just rule it out for good.

As far as finding a Vermont Miata goon with an NA/NB, well, you might have to consider traveling a bit; you might find a goon with one in NY, for example, but I haven't seen anyone here in VT. I'm in the Midwest, and my NB's in storage now, otherwise I'd be happy to help you out.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I think it really depends on the individual and how they sit in a car. I'm 6'2 and barely fit in my NB (but I do fit with a bit of slouching), Atomizer is ~5'9 and barely fits in his NB, and meanwhile Jeremy Clarkson is 6'5 and rode an NB around Iraq while wearing an army helmet so you'll definitely want to sit in one to see how it fits you.

Let me know if you find your way to Atlanta and want to sit in mine.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks guys, I'll just keep scouring Craigslist. It does seem like proportions are more important than height when it comes to fitting in a Miata, like you said. I'm nervous because I have a fairly tall torso, but we'll see. The car will likely only be driven with its top down, except in emergency situations. How much headroom would a foamectomy buy?
Also, early in the thread I saw people saying that interior space goes NC>NA>NB. Is that correct?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I live in Vt and I have a Miata. Nc though. And very dirty right now :goleft: it's probably not what you're looking for in a second car being newish and expensive and my daily driver tbh but I'd be happy to let you check it out. For size

As for Actually finding one here, it's almost impossible. I bought mine in Connecticut, in summer. I drove an NA beforehand and it was seriously small, and I am short. I don't think you're likely gonna fit in that one at all.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 3, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'm 6'1 and I fit in all four Miatas and my S2K. The tightest one IMO was the ND Miata, but when I drove the NC and NB I didn't feel like I was two inches away from being too big for them. A lot is gonna depend on how wide you are too

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I've got a fairly slim build and a giant beer gut so we'll see. The prospect of driving 3+ hours for a test drive that may end the second I sit in the car (or try to) is a drag, but what can you do?
I may need to start thinking of a backup plan. Fun, reliable, rwd, excellent handling and drop top is preferred. Oh, and must be bulletproof for under $5k. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything that would fit the bill quite like the Miata. I wonder, if I only ever drove it with the top down, would I be okay? Or would I just be staring at the top of a windshield?
There's also a shop called Mike's Miata that's apparently pretty well known, that offers a few mods for big dudes, on of which is 86'ing your seat back and throwing a cushion on the firewall. Looks ugly and sketchy as gently caress but would certainly open up the cabin.

e:Ethanol where are you in VT? I'm in Winooski, if you're not super far I might just take you up on that.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 3, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well then literally 3 minutes away in burlington, i'm busy today but if you want to look at it over the weekend just make a post and we can meet somewhere

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There's also a shop called Mike's Miata that's apparently pretty well known, that offers a few mods for big dudes, on of which is 86'ing your seat back and throwing a cushion on the firewall. Looks ugly and sketchy as gently caress but would certainly open up the cabin.

Do not do this. People make all these weird mods to fit but don't think about what happens in an accident. You're up against loving metal on your spine. That guy has a lot of helpful (but long winded, goddamn) videos and stuff but after watching that one I thought he was crazy. Besides the fact that he wears a loving crown in half the videos... Foamectomy gains an inch or two but it's not going to be enough for someone your size. It just takes you from sitting on top of the seat to down in it a bit.

I'm 6'1" (32" inseam) and cut the rear seat mounts off and bolted the seat directly to the floor of my old NA. I was basically sitting on the floor pan (thin aftermarket racing seat). It's not going to be comfortable for you to DD this way. You'll be able to see stop lights again this way, though (maybe). I was so low I couldn't see the hood hardly at all.

If you decide to pursue this anyway I'd remove the arm pulls on the doors and use webbing (or whatever fabric for them), put a spacer on the steering wheel to move it closer to you to give you more knee room, remove the dead pedal and maybe bend the pedals a bit to suit, and put in a different seat that you can mount lower. It ain't gonna be cheap, and it probably still won't be that comfortable.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 3, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What a loving idiot, he's opening himself up to getting sued when someone gets seriously hurt in an accident. That the dumbest loving poo poo I've ever heard that's been done to a Miata and I've seen some pretty dumb poo poo.

If you're too big for a Miata buy another car, Jesus.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Oh don't get me wrong, I would never do that as I'm not a moron. I couldn't imagine ANYONE seriously making that suggestion, let alone a business owner putting out a video of it with their name on it.
When it comes down to it I'll just have to find out on my own. If I feel like I'll be okay with a foamectomy and a steering wheel spacer I think I'll seriously consider it . Again, headroom isnt a big issue because this would be a fun car, not a daily.
Ethanol my weekend is wide open. How bout Saturday at noon at Winooski Bev? Whatever works for you is cool.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgD0wJGcR0

just have to bunch up your legs around the wheel, like this 250 gto

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Oh don't get me wrong, I would never do that as I'm not a moron. I couldn't imagine ANYONE seriously making that suggestion, let alone a business owner putting out a video of it with their name on it.
When it comes down to it I'll just have to find out on my own. If I feel like I'll be okay with a foamectomy and a steering wheel spacer I think I'll seriously consider it . Again, headroom isnt a big issue because this would be a fun car, not a daily.
Ethanol my weekend is wide open. How bout Saturday at noon at Winooski Bev? Whatever works for you is cool.

can you do sunday same time? I've got some plans on saturday

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Works for me, thanks dude!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Do not do this. People make all these weird mods to fit but don't think about what happens in an accident. You're up against loving metal on your spine. That guy has a lot of helpful (but long winded, goddamn) videos and stuff but after watching that one I thought he was crazy. Besides the fact that he wears a loving crown in half the videos... Foamectomy gains an inch or two but it's not going to be enough for someone your size. It just takes you from sitting on top of the seat to down in it a bit.

I'm 6'1" (32" inseam) and cut the rear seat mounts off and bolted the seat directly to the floor of my old NA. I was basically sitting on the floor pan (thin aftermarket racing seat). It's not going to be comfortable for you to DD this way. You'll be able to see stop lights again this way, though (maybe). I was so low I couldn't see the hood hardly at all.

If you decide to pursue this anyway I'd remove the arm pulls on the doors and use webbing (or whatever fabric for them), put a spacer on the steering wheel to move it closer to you to give you more knee room, remove the dead pedal and maybe bend the pedals a bit to suit, and put in a different seat that you can mount lower. It ain't gonna be cheap, and it probably still won't be that comfortable.

So I'm 5'9-10" (and ~165 lbs.) with the same [nominal] inseam :stare: and I can confirm that the legroom is the primary limiting factor when I refer to barely fitting in my Miata. I mean I could probably deal with an extra inch or two of height, but as it is my legs are almost at 90°. I used to sit a little closer forward, then moved back when I added that seat cooler. I like this new seating position better, but the seat is about as far back as it can go and I'm about even on the legroom (the space I gained is taken up by the cooler.) It's not an uncomfortable position to be in, but I'm acutely aware that I just don't have much more room to play in with the Miata (particularly when compared to my Winter car, the CR-V.) Someone taller could certainly make it fit, but it's going to largely depend on your body proportions rather than total height alone.

As far as headroom goes, I fit fine with the top down, although I touch it if I'm wearing a hat or have my hair spiked/messed up. This was less of an issue before that cooler, which is totally worth it but adds an inch to the seat height. Considering this car exists largely for driving topless, I think it's a moot point.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Wanted to thank Cliff (ethanol) again for letting me take a spin in his NC. I was pretty surprised at the leg room, I actually had the seat a notch or two from the rearmost position and was very comfy. Headroom is another story though, I had to slouch super hard with the top up. Top down was a lot better obviously, but the top bar of the windshield was right in my line of sight.
All in all I fit MUCH better than I expected. I'll still need to try out an NA to be sure, but I suspect I might be okay with a foamectomy and visor delete.
Oh, and driving it was great. Super fun car. Thanks Cliff!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yes, thank you for not murdering me and stealing my car. Always happy to help people discover firsthand that miatas are insanely good

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Scooting the seat forward and then reclining a bit can help with the headroom, and you'll be surprised how your legs adapt being a little bit closer. Also do note that while the NC has a tiltable steering wheel the NA doesn't. To see if you'll fit in an NA you really need to try an NA.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Reading all this "will I fit" talk makes me feel better about being a small person. Until I struggle to grab something from the top cabinet in the kitchen. Then I feel bad about it again (but not that much). My size in relation to the car is one of many reasons why I'll probably hold on to my NA for a while; it fits me like a dream.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Top down was a lot better obviously, but the top bar of the windshield was right in my line of sight.

I'm 5'6" and have a similar problem in an NB if I sit how I find comfortable (upright like an 80s trucks bench seat). Can't see traffic lights for poo poo without leaning forward. Sliding the seat forward and leaning back a bit fixes that problem. Steering wheel is just about in my nuts tho. I'd kill for a tilt wheel.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

As a fellow manlet (5'6) the only advantage is that at least I fit in cool cars.

Until I get fat. :smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Previa_fun posted:

As a fellow manlet (5'6) the only advantage is that at least I fit in cool cars.

Until I get fat. :smith:

I put a hitch and easy mount bike rack on the back of my Miata. The more I ride, the more I get to drive the Miata. Win/win!

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

Wanted to thank Cliff (ethanol) again for letting me take a spin in his NC. I was pretty surprised at the leg room, I actually had the seat a notch or two from the rearmost position and was very comfy. Headroom is another story though, I had to slouch super hard with the top up. Top down was a lot better obviously, but the top bar of the windshield was right in my line of sight.
All in all I fit MUCH better than I expected. I'll still need to try out an NA to be sure, but I suspect I might be okay with a foamectomy and visor delete.
Oh, and driving it was great. Super fun car. Thanks Cliff!

I'm in Southern New Hampshire with a foamectomied '90 you're welcome to sit in if you're ever passing through. Car is immobile and up on stands for the winter though, so you'll have to use your imagination somewhat.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Also remember that NC driver seats can be lowered with aftermarket brackets. It makes an even more dramatic difference on the NC1.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
What aftermarket tops do people recommend these days? My glass rear window separated from my top, so I need to replace it. Or is there a way to reattach the glass window (the previous owner seems to have used some kind of rubbery substance to repair it when it did this before, I guess). It's an NA Miata.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

UnkleBoB posted:

What aftermarket tops do people recommend these days? My glass rear window separated from my top, so I need to replace it. Or is there a way to reattach the glass window (the previous owner seems to have used some kind of rubbery substance to repair it when it did this before, I guess). It's an NA Miata.

My understanding is that Robbins is basically your best option, and now they make the OEM tops anyway. Also, you may be able to get your top repaired at an automobile upholstery shop rather than replacing the whole thing if it's otherwise in good condition.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

UnkleBoB posted:

Get a new top with a plastic window, unless you are going to convert to a NB top glass windows are a pain and tend to do exactly what yours is doing.

Get a robbins from topsonline.com.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What is it about the Miata that attracts taller people trying to shoehorn themselves into the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

What is it about the Miata that attracts taller people trying to shoehorn themselves into the car?

Tall people aren't happy with other people's approval, a greater chance of winning the presidency and vastly improved chances of overall financial and professional success. They also want to take away our tiny gay cars.