Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Speaking of obsidian games, I've been playing Pillars of Eternity.

I'm pretty sure when people asked them to bring back the classic gameplay they'd have been fine if they left out the traps on random chests and in the middle of random hallways, or at least made it so your dudes avoided them when you'd already detected them. I guess you just have to stealthscout everywhere or go gently caress yourself.

I don't think there's been an obsidian game without annoying traps, actually. At least in New Vegas they weren't invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
This werewolf fight in The Witcher 3 can gently caress right off. As if being very strong and extremely fast weren't enough, it starts regenerating its health very quickly once it gets halfway down. Then a goddamn cutscene happens right before I kill it, so already I've lost gameplay flow, and when the fight resumes, the werewolf gets free hits. By the time I've got my bearings (and reset the camera lock broken by the cutscene), the werewolf's at half health and rising, except now I've got none of my potions because I've used them all during the first phase.

Anyone who thinks that boss regen is a good mechanic needs to get pushed out a window.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inco posted:

This werewolf fight in The Witcher 3 can gently caress right off. As if being very strong and extremely fast weren't enough, it starts regenerating its health very quickly once it gets halfway down. Then a goddamn cutscene happens right before I kill it, so already I've lost gameplay flow, and when the fight resumes, the werewolf gets free hits. By the time I've got my bearings (and reset the camera lock broken by the cutscene), the werewolf's at half health and rising, except now I've got none of my potions because I've used them all during the first phase.

Anyone who thinks that boss regen is a good mechanic needs to get pushed out a window.

I thought that fight was a pain in the rear end for the other reasons you mentioned, but if you read the bestiary entry on werewolves it will tell you to poison them to stop their regen, iirc. Not that much help if you're doing a no alchemy playthrough, I guess.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Trick Question posted:

I'm pretty sure when people asked them to bring back the classic gameplay they'd have been fine if they left out the traps on random chests and in the middle of random hallways, or at least made it so your dudes avoided them when you'd already detected them. I guess you just have to stealthscout everywhere or go gently caress yourself.

I don't think there's been an obsidian game without annoying traps, actually. At least in New Vegas they weren't invisible.

This was really annoying in the Baldurs Gate series until I realised you can set a thief's behaviour to always detect traps in their scripts. Maybe you can do something similar in Pillars of Eternity?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inco posted:

If it were just the werewolf you were fighting it wouldn't be so bad, but there are like 3 or 4 wolves in that lair that can distract you while fighting the big guy. I had to bait some near the entrance without aggroing the werewolf.

Also gently caress any contract involving foglets.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Trick Question posted:

Placing landmines under corpses, like they did in New Vegas, was basically the same thing as invisible traps. That was really lame. No chance of turning it off after hearing the beeps with a corpse in the way. You basically have to die to it once then reload and drag the corpse off it. Or meticulously and pointlessly drag every preplaced corpse you ever see around to be sure there's no mine under it.

Taeke posted:

This was really annoying in the Baldurs Gate series until I realised you can set a thief's behaviour to always detect traps in their scripts.

It was still super annoying since they only search once every 6 seconds and only at about half their view distance which means even in search mode you cant move at a normal speed without setting off traps.

Playing a dungeon you're not familiar with in the BG games is: move 3 steps, stand around for 6 seconds, move 3 steps, stand around for 6 seconds, over and over. My biggest hope when they announced the EE was that they'd overhaul the trap finding mechanic. Sadly it was not to be. Most people just advise you run through them and reload to learn their positions. Which is practical but super lame. Game mechanics should try to avoid encouraging savescumming.

It wouldn't even be that hard to fix. Just increase the search radius to the sight radius and increase the search frequency to once every half second or so. Bonus points if you make it so a thief can find and disable traps without breaking stealth. Thieves shouldn't need someone to cast invisibility on them to scout ahead and disable traps. That's like 80% of the point of having a thief they should be able to do it with just their class skills.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Spek posted:

Placing landmines under corpses, like they did in New Vegas, was basically the same thing as invisible traps. That was really lame. No chance of turning it off after hearing the beeps with a corpse in the way. You basically have to die to it once then reload and drag the corpse off it. Or meticulously and pointlessly drag every preplaced corpse you ever see around to be sure there's no mine under it.

Or just not loot corpses you disgusting vulture!!!!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Spek posted:

That really only happens in one place where it is specifically a crater-marked no-mans-land between camps where the Legion is specifically mocking the NCR by making retrieving fallen comrades - something the NCR values and the Legion does not give a poo poo about - a task that creates more fallen comrades.

Or maybe it's that ranger station south of Novac, which is once again the Legion specifically mocking the NCR.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Spek posted:

You can run away from mines when you hear the beeping instead of trying to defuse them. It's harder before fallout 4 since there's no sprint button but still possible to survive.

Action Tortoise posted:

Also gently caress any contract involving foglets.

Use aard and laugh as the game lets you trivially instakill them, even the unique contract one with a boss health bar. I was getting horrible performance on that fight on PS4 (like less than 10 FPS) that it was almost unplayable, then I realized the game didn't give it any special protection from the aard instakill :haw:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You can run away from mines when you hear the beeping instead of trying to defuse them. It's harder before fallout 4 since there's no sprint button but still possible to survive.

Going by how many streamers I've seen get obliterated by mines while looting so far I'd say it's still really hard.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That really only happens in one place where it is specifically a crater-marked no-mans-land between camps where the Legion is specifically mocking the NCR by making retrieving fallen comrades - something the NCR values and the Legion does not give a poo poo about - a task that creates more fallen comrades.

Or maybe it's that ranger station south of Novac, which is once again the Legion specifically mocking the NCR.

It happens in that city the legion sacks between Primm and Novac, can't remember its name but you go there pretty early on, so I was paranoid from then until I got the perk that made it so you don't trigger landmines. It's just such a dick move. Maybe if the corpse absorbed some of the blast or something it wouldn't have bugged me as much.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah sometimes. Obsidian really likes their cramped unnavigable interiors though and Bethesda's engine likes to get you caught on every tiny piece of inconsequential scenery and clutter so there's a good chance running away from the beeping will just get you stuck on the edge of a chair or the like and get blown up anyway.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Trick Question posted:

That, and a bug where a certain dot spell would never stop when cast on your guys (so you all slowly die without being able to stop it) is the biggest problems in that game. You'd spend all this time trying to find all these traps and such and then Jimbob the farmhand and Dora the Inuit Explorer would run straight into it and kill everyone because they noticed a bad guy 3 rooms over.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Silver Shroud doesn't have a scarf over his face, making the whole point of the disguise pointless and dumb and making me wonder if whoever made that part at Bethesda even knew what The Shadow was about. :(

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also in the Nipton town hall, unless that is said pocked no-man's-land. Still the Legion, in fact, and still a guaranteed leg amputation first time through.

If you ask me, the satchel charges in that stretch of Lonesome Road are worse than either.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Here's some good news for ya: the Lonesome Road DLC has a bunch of mines all out in the open. Go get em :shepface:

Edit: gah!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lonesome Road was really bad and it was such a disappointment :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Spek posted:

They did this for a cool bit of visual story telling though. They put a battlefield in between Camp Forlorn Hope(occupied by the NCR) and Nelson(occupied by The Legion). The battlefield is littered with NCR soldiers with arms and legs cut off, barely alive. If you try to move or touch them in any way, they explode with the mine that The Legion rigged underneath them.

It was patched out of the game after a while due to console memory reasons IIRC, but there's a mod out there that patches it back in along with other cut stuff.

edit: dang, someone beat me to it.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Dec 2, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

They did this for a cool bit of visual story telling though. They put a battlefield in between Camp Forlorn Hope(occupied by the NCR) and Nelson(occupied by The Legion). The battlefield is littered with NCR soldiers with arms and legs cut off, barely alive. If you try to move or touch them in any way, they explode with the mine that The Legion rigged underneath them.

It was patched out of the game after a while due to memory reasons IIRC, but there's a mod out there that patches it back in along with other cut stuff.

edit: dang, someone beat me to it.

Wow, I've played through the game 3 times without knowing this was a thing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Silver Shroud doesn't have a scarf over his face, making the whole point of the disguise pointless and dumb and making me wonder if whoever made that part at Bethesda even knew what The Shadow was about. :(

It really should be a part of the armour, but you can improvise by wearing a bandana over your face. To "speak as the shroud" you need to be wearing the armour and (I presume) the hat, but it doesnt care if you have stuff equipped in the face slots The skull bandana is the right colour scheme, and the shroud looks way better with the bandana over his mouth. Well, he does when I remember to take off the fashionable glasses as well.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Xoidanor posted:

Wow, I've played through the game 3 times without knowing this was a thing.

Yeah if you've got all the DLC the wounded/disfigured soldiers all pretty much disappear.

As mentioned, there's a cut content mod that brings them back (though not without the occasional hiccup; sometimes they'll be standing upright.)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
In Fallout 4, I like to keep a suit of charisma gear on underneath my power armor since most mods don't stack; whenever I get into a town/talk I pop out of the suit with max CHR ready to go.

The annoying thing is it takes 5 full seconds to get into, and out of, a power armor suit, and this can add up to nuisance levels pretty quick. Especially (and this is the core of my whine) since if you're in combat, you can pop into and out of your suit much, much faster- nearly instantly out, maybe two seconds in. If there's a way to force the quick animations I'd love to hear about it (even if I have to get a mod or something). Grr.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

In Fallout 4, I like to keep a suit of charisma gear on underneath my power armor since most mods don't stack; whenever I get into a town/talk I pop out of the suit with max CHR ready to go.

The annoying thing is it takes 5 full seconds to get into, and out of, a power armor suit, and this can add up to nuisance levels pretty quick. Especially (and this is the core of my whine) since if you're in combat, you can pop into and out of your suit much, much faster- nearly instantly out, maybe two seconds in. If there's a way to force the quick animations I'd love to hear about it (even if I have to get a mod or something). Grr.

There is, it's called Fast Power Armor Exit or something like that.

Fakeedit: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/586/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They probably didn't. But it's not like you're confronting people that know you especially well; a hat, suit and voice would probably do just fine at making Hancock not draw the connection that you're the guy that was getting hustled for insurance money a few days ago.

My problem with the Silver Shroud is that it's just a poorly-designed mission for what it is. Go around being a knockoff version of the Shadow? Sure, that's fantastic. Fight increasingly-larger teams of raiders as they become aware of your deeds? That's just fine. But what's not fine is putting those two things together, forcing you to fight ever-stronger groups of raiders in no armor and possibly with a gun that you can't use. They built the game so heavily around weapon and equipment mods, but that mission gives you a kit that you can't personalize. I know you don't necessarily have to wear the Shroud's armor or use the submachine gun--I know I wasn't using it by the end--but if you really want to go along with the mission you're going to be right hosed if you haven't built specifically to be the Silver Shroud in the first place. It shouldn't be an actually difficult mission for anybody, because the selling point is being a pulp-y superhero.

But at least the Silver Shroud in the radio show is an Oblivion guard.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
You don't have to use the Shroud weapon and the costume only needs to be on for the dialogue checks I believe. I ran through the last part with my normal gear on, then switched to the shroud outfit when I had to go down the elevator to confront the final group of raiders.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I said it before, but honestly that's kind of the biggest problem with fallout 4 I think over all. They had a bunch of good ideas but no substance to it. They couldn't seem to come up with any quests that didn't just go "okay we got a neat set-up, now we'll have them shoot a bunch of guys!" Which I guess is cool if it's a quest where you have to go kill a camp of super mutants but they ruin so many of their own ideas by just turning everything into a gauntlet. Like in the area where you recruit Cait, why does everyone instantly go hostile? No one knows who the gently caress you are. Why not let you join the pit fights or bet on them. But no, instead everyone just instantly goes hostile even if you stealth in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish I was told before buying it that You Must Build A Boat isn't just a match game, it's a match game where you better be on some sort of intense stimulant while playing, because gently caress trying to figure out patterns under time pressure.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I'm going around Velen in The Witcher 3, not far from the Inn at the Crossroads (a place you reach shortly after entering Velen, I was there at about level 3 or 4 the first time; I'm level 6 now), and I run into a combined group of level 7 slavers and level 16 Nilfgaardian deserters. I have no idea why they put such a mixed group together on a major road to my next objective (the Bog witches). These fuckers are almost 3 times my level! I can't go through them, because the archers kill me in two shots, and there are two of them, and apparently all their archers are deadeye shots: in 4 attempts to drive through them, I've been picked off each time.

This game is loving ridiculous.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Inco posted:

I'm going around Velen in The Witcher 3, not far from the Inn at the Crossroads (a place you reach shortly after entering Velen, I was there at about level 3 or 4 the first time; I'm level 6 now), and I run into a combined group of level 7 slavers and level 16 Nilfgaardian deserters. I have no idea why they put such a mixed group together on a major road to my next objective (the Bog witches). These fuckers are almost 3 times my level! I can't go through them, because the archers kill me in two shots, and there are two of them, and apparently all their archers are deadeye shots: in 4 attempts to drive through them, I've been picked off each time.

This game is loving ridiculous.

Best way to kill that group is just to deflect arrows back at them until you've killed all but a lone archer. Arrow deflects seem to be a one-hit kill at any level.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Was ready to come in here and whine about MGSV's base building time (game time, that is, and it's a fresh hot take I know) but that reminded me of another issue so I did a bit of searching around trying to get an Anesthesia Specialist as a silenced tranq sniper rifle and unlimited suppressor for your tranq pistol require it. I've been relying on Quiet heavily since I can't do any long range tranq-ing, and you know what?

You get the specialist in Mission 10, waaaay before you need them. Not to mention they have lovely stats so they automatically get fired and are gone if you get better staff, which you're always trying to do. Then 20 hours of game time later you find out you need that specialist and I forgot they even existed.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Was ready to come in here and whine about MGSV's base building time (game time, that is, and it's a fresh hot take I know) but that reminded me of another issue so I did a bit of searching around trying to get an Anesthesia Specialist as a silenced tranq sniper rifle and unlimited suppressor for your tranq pistol require it. I've been relying on Quiet heavily since I can't do any long range tranq-ing, and you know what?

You get the specialist in Mission 10, waaaay before you need them. Not to mention they have lovely stats so they automatically get fired and are gone if you get better staff, which you're always trying to do. Then 20 hours of game time later you find out you need that specialist and I forgot they even existed.

those missions that guarantee you a specialist never really upgrade their stats on repeated playthroughs. the bionic specialist is always around the A-B+ range.

malik is kinda weird, though. if you replay that mission and sit through the final conversation between him and his driver, then listen to him as you're carrying him, he'll adopt a diamond dogs codename and i think his stats get marginally better than if you just rush the mission.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This whole bit about MGSV was really poorly thought out. Once you max out your base the game refuses to put people in the waiting room anymore and just starts replacing people willy-nilly. Go out on a mission and get a bunch of E-ranked assholes? Well there go a bunch of your A-ranked soldiers. What's that, all your departments just went down several levels? gently caress you, the game doesn't give a poo poo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure they auto kick all the lowest rank people, counting people you just recruited. I Fulton LITERALLY EVERYONE and my level just keeps going up up up.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

those missions that guarantee you a specialist never really upgrade their stats on repeated playthroughs. the bionic specialist is always around the A-B+ range.

malik is kinda weird, though. if you replay that mission and sit through the final conversation between him and his driver, then listen to him as you're carrying him, he'll adopt a diamond dogs codename and i think his stats get marginally better than if you just rush the mission.

Ooh, I'll have to do that when I go back and get him.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I'm pretty sure they auto kick all the lowest rank people, counting people you just recruited. I Fulton LITERALLY EVERYONE and my level just keeps going up up up.
It's meant to, before the first patch it did but some people thought that got broke after the first patch. I just kinda stopped playing after the patch that put a gently caress-ton of your poo poo into 'Online storage', including your money, where you couldn't sell it. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

I still wind up with a lot of low ranks and my ranks go down. Did you fully upgrade your FOB?

Croccers posted:

It's meant to, before the first patch it did but some people thought that got broke after the first patch. I just kinda stopped playing after the patch that put a gently caress-ton of your poo poo into 'Online storage', including your money, where you couldn't sell it. :shrug:

They have online upgrades now. Mega expensive things you research while you're not playing :thumbsup: This is all for single player by the way, the one you can beat with the basic loadout for the most part if you really care to. PC still doesn't have MGO.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Nuebot posted:

I still wind up with a lot of low ranks and my ranks go down. Did you fully upgrade your FOB?

The problem seems to be that a fully staffed, fully upgraded FOB is at the population max. So it you extract a bunch of S rank researchers or whatever, it'll put them in the brig (which counts against your staff) and then see that you've got too many guys at your base. The game will get rid of your lowest ranked researchers, dropping the R&D team's level until all the new guys leave the brig.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Ooh, I'll have to do that when I go back and get him.

Be careful. Some missions where you have to listen for dialogue can bug out if you interfere with anything. You might have to let the other hostages get executed. Get DHorse or DWalker and just drive out to the barracks once the mission starts

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Why is friendly fire enabled in Dead Rising 2? It makes it difficult to go help my partner if he gets grabbed, and the Survivors can do damage to Chuck too. And Survivors go insane and start chasing zombies if I give them anything that resembles a weapon. I saw one throw the bag of chips I gave him at a zombie. :mad:

At least the AI can navigate somewhat okay. I still have bad flashbacks to The Impassable Ledge from DR1.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

QuietLion posted:

I saw one throw the bag of chips I gave him at a zombie. :mad:

This could be a viable attack in Fallout 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Aleph Null posted:

This could be a viable attack in Fallout 4.
I'm not sure which thread in PYF I saw it in, but there's a FO4 gif somewhere in which someone shot a human skull from a gun in VATS and exploded a Super Mutant's head. :stare: