Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I keep thinking of fat damon and some sort of small-town bourne movie. Also I have an ex who used to talk all the time about actualizing and she was kinda crazy and had to try and make everything an adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Unzip and Attack posted:

Really mixed on this episode. I liked the suspense and the way Peggy was spiraling into crazy but having Hanzee, who has likely spent his whole life dealing with racism, suddenly break at the exact moment he's about to rescue Dodd just seemed really contrived. I mean the dude was forced to be a tunnel rat probably because his racist NCOs didn't give a poo poo if he made it out alive but a couple racists at a bar make him go full murder spree? And how many times is Peggy going to somehow physically overcome professional murderers? I know it's supposed to be a dark comedy but this episode really just seemed a bit too corny and slapstick. The Blumqists have bungled their way out of hopeless situations just one too many times for my tastes.

Peggy can overcome professional murderers because she is insane. Dont underestimate crazy people imo

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
shes actualizing

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
She also didn't "physically overcome" anyone. She surprised Dodd twice, once when he dropped his taser like a dumbass in her hoarder basement and once when he was stringing up Fat Damon and she saw an opening to nail his foot to the floor.

You make it sound like she challenged him to a fight and knocked him out with a haymaker.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Illinois Smith posted:

She also didn't "physically overcome" anyone. She surprised Dodd twice, once when he dropped his taser like a dumbass in her hoarder basement and once when he was stringing up Fat Damon and she saw an opening to nail his foot to the floor.

You make it sound like she challenged him to a fight and knocked him out with a haymaker.

this is the silliest semantics

"durr she used a tool to knock a guy out DOESNT COUNT"

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

What an awesome episode. Holy poo poo.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Whaaaat? Oh come on, a toddler could kill Mike Tyson with a, "tool,"* and if he did, it'd be ridiculous to call that, "physically overpowering!" This isn't silly semantics. It's pointing out that the other guy's complaint was hyperbole.

* This toddler right here in particular:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's no dumber than the exaggerations it is responding to. She surprised a cocky dude who underestimated her, it's not that far fetched.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Illinois Smith posted:

She surprised Dodd twice, once when he dropped his taser like a dumbass in her hoarder basement and once when he was stringing up Fat Damon and she saw an opening to nail his foot to the floor.

Nah. That second one is all on Dodd. He straight up turns to her, goes "Yep, she's awake. drat ladyfolk", then turns back to Ed to deliver more monologue. It's when he ignores her again that she fucks him up good. Exact same mistake he made with his daughter, it just bit everyone else in the rear end rather than him.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2015

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Accretionist posted:

It's pointing out that the other guy's complaint was hyperbole.

No, it's really not. Yes, the situations were contrived enough to make her physically overpowering Dodd plausible but in the end a hair stylist has incapacitated a mob enforcer twice. Ed having James Bond combat reflexes when a gunman tries to kill him is also silly, but taken all together I just think it merits an eye roll. You're free to disagree you know.

What I liked about the movie vs. the show is that Jerry is just as inept a criminal as he is a car salesman. He doesn't gain plot armor and insane luck by embracing evil. Watching Lester and now the Blumquists get the drop on everyone and moonwalk their way around legitimately dangerous people just isn't as interesting as watching someone like Jerry have his plans completely spiral out of control.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 2, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the car conversation between Ed and Peggy where they both happily come to the conclusion that they're finally in full and joyful agreement on a subject.... but neither one has been listening to a word the other has said until it sounded like something that agreed with what they themselves were saying :allears:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Unzip and Attack posted:

No, it's really not. Yes, the situations were contrived enough to make her physically overpowering Dodd plausible but in the end a hair stylist has incapacitated a mob enforcer twice. Ed having James Bond combat reflexes when a gunman tries to kill him is also silly, but taken all together I just think it merits an eye roll. You're free to disagree you know.

What I liked about the movie vs. the show is that Jerry is just as inept a criminal as he is a car salesman. He doesn't gain plot armor and insane luck by embracing evil. Watching Lester and now the Blumquists get the drop on everyone and moonwalk their way around legitimately dangerous people just isn't as interesting as watching someone like Jerry have his plans completely spiral out of control.

Wait I thought that Ed had um, done this kind of stuff before

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I'm actually confused about that plot point, does Ed have a shady past or not?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
No. He was referring to murdering Rye, I think.

I wouldn't say he's moonwalking though, the butcher shop fire was a clusterfuck all around, Rye was 3/4 dead already, and he only survived Dodd because Dodd underestimated his wife repeatedly, which was kind of built up the whole season via Dodd's mother and daughter.

e: And Hanzee ran out of bullets.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

No it was just Dodd's invention to instigate the war. Ed has always just been a regular butcher.

Unzip and Attack posted:

You're free to disagree you know.

That's exactly what is happening. Sorry you're not enjoying it, but "physically overpowering" is a really weird and exaggerated way to describe what happens in those scenes. It evokes images of wrestling someone to the ground, not hitting them from behind with a weapon.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

I tend to think not. He didn't go to Vietnam, he's presumably lived in the same house his whole life, and the local crime bosses don't know who he is so all signs point to no.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Unzip and Attack posted:

I tend to think not. He didn't go to Vietnam, he's presumably lived in the same house his whole life, and the local crime bosses don't know who he is so all signs point to no.

Oh, I was thrown off when he told mike that he was the butcher of leverne and mike said that he liked his style or something

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh, I was thrown off when he told mike that he was the butcher of leverne and mike said that he liked his style or something

That was all just a last-minute story change by Dodd to make Ed seem like he was this bigshot hitman out of KC when in reality he's just a local butcher who got in over his head.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

MrBuddyLee posted:

They spent three minutes in the opening scene of this season showing a couple of rich, out-of-touch white guys jerking around a Native American actor from New Jersey. On a historical site where a bunch of white guys shot 300 Native Americans for absolutely no reason and got medals for it.

I guess Hanzee decided it was time to fully actualize.

He...wounded their knees.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

It's also not unreasonable to assume that Simone passed along Dodd's story to Mike, so Mike *has* heard of "the Butcher of Luverne" who killed Rye and shrugged off an assassination attempt and he knows he isn't KC muscle but probably don't know how much of the rest of the story was bullshit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Electromax posted:

e: And Hanzee ran out of bullets.

Had the racists from the bar not followed Hanzee out to his truck, Ed would be dead now. So thank you, racism!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I wonder what happened to Dodd to make him such an rear end in a top hat to women. Or maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat idk

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

I wonder what happened to Dodd to make him such an rear end in a top hat to women. Or maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat idk

His dad had him murder a dude when he was like 7 years old. Didn't have much of a chance I'd say.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I couldn't help but think back to that scene in the barn where Dodd's telling the guy he is torturing (unknowingly already dead!) that he shouldn't be upset because it isn't as bad as what his father (or was it his granddad?) faced in the war. Then he gets tied up and poked a couple of times with a knife by Peggy and immediately capitulates and is meek and polite to her and follows her orders :allears:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

I couldn't help but think back to that scene in the barn where Dodd's telling the guy he is torturing (unknowingly already dead!) that he shouldn't be upset because it isn't as bad as what his father (or was it his granddad?) faced in the war. Then he gets tied up and poked a couple of times with a knife by Peggy and immediately capitulates and is meek and polite to her and follows her orders :allears:

She clearly punctured a lung, Dodd had it tough too J-ru! :colbert:

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Thats why it was so funny seeing Ed in that phone booth every day trying and failing to be the caricature that Dodd created for him. He bumbles about having done this before and being "the butcher" - Dodd's mythical Kansas City contract killer, not a guy who knows the difference between a flank steak and a skirt steak.

Hanzee is the real butcher. After playing pretend with Dodd for so long, I guess he grew weary of cleaning up after a man he knows is inadequate.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Was it ever explained in the show how Ed new about his new nickname of "the Butcher of Luverne"? I can't imagine Dodd would bother telling him about this alias and I don't remember if he found out any other way.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm fairly sure Hanzee or someone else came looking for them earlier in the season and said something about being a butcher. I could be wrong though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So i'm REALLY far bheind, i'm an idiot and didn't realize this started back in October so I just watched episode 1.

At the end when Brad Garrett was talking, there was a guy next to the projector in the shadows talking to him. I was trying to place the voice and for some reason I thought John Malkovich. Am I just super wrong and crazy or was that actually who that was?

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Thumbtacks posted:

So i'm REALLY far bheind, i'm an idiot and didn't realize this started back in October so I just watched episode 1.

At the end when Brad Garrett was talking, there was a guy next to the projector in the shadows talking to him. I was trying to place the voice and for some reason I thought John Malkovich. Am I just super wrong and crazy or was that actually who that was?

You're super wrong

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I hope everyone is John Malkovich in episode 10

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just watched the last episode. Good for Hanzee. Don't take any of that poo poo for one more second buddy.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mustached5thGrader posted:

You're super wrong

oh alright. i've always been terrible at picking up actors by voice.

on episode 3 now. god this show is so loving good. it's a testament to Jesse Plemons that his character in Breaking Bad was so good because I really want to like him and feel bad for him but part of me still hates him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Thumbtacks posted:

on episode 3 now. god this show is so loving good. it's a testament to Jesse Plemons that his character in Breaking Bad was so good because I really want to like him and feel bad for him but part of me still hates him.

I think it's also a testament to how good Jesse Plemons is that despite absolutely hating his character in Breaking Bad I can look past it and root for him in this role.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I hated Todd in Breaking Bad but I gotta say I don't even see a glimpse of the psycho dead doll eyes Jesse Plemons was infamous for in this character at all, which is amazing to me.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

speshl guy posted:

I hated Todd in Breaking Bad but I gotta say I don't even see a glimpse of the psycho dead doll eyes Jesse Plemons was infamous for in this character at all, which is amazing to me.

He hasn't even offered Dodd any Americone dream.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Speaking of actors that I'm very impressed with, Brad Garrett is pretty drat good here too. Granted I've only seen him in Everybody Loves Raymond so I've never seen him actually acting, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
I never understood the hate for Todd on BB. He was a really interesting type of character that I've never seen before: a totally selfless psychopath. He just wanted to be helpful.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I was also not expecting to immediately hate Kirsten Dunst and yet here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Ave Azaria posted:

I never understood the hate for Todd on BB. He was a really interesting type of character that I've never seen before: a totally selfless psychopath. He just wanted to be helpful.

For some reason people got really upset when he murdered a little boy and orphaned another in cold blood, on a whim.

• Locked thread