Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

onemillionzombies posted:

When you're losing the battle for public perception to a far right wing racist lunatic who is a borderline pedophile you probably need to do some self-reflection.

Not to mention, though I do love him so, East Side Dave - who literally ate his own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Nearly spit up my food when Vos said "Look where Otto is NOW!".

:laugh:+:rip:

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Paul Kersey posted:

The thing that blew my mind was when Opie said he was pissed that Jim didn't speak up and defend him more when he cried on the air that one time. He is completely delusional and narcissistic.

I just got to this part and holy crap. Like what's a guy supposed to do in a situation like that. And Jim's trying to explain his thoughts and what he was trying to do and Opie's not even listening.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

onemillionzombies posted:

When you're losing the battle for public perception to a far right wing racist lunatic who is a borderline pedophile you probably need to do some self-reflection.

This is the most succinct way of describing this whole situation. All Opie had to do was say 'listen, this came at the right time, because I'm going to do an easy show and Ant was doing a lot of racist poo poo in lieu of good bits, so I'm out.' He would have gotten poo poo, but at least he could have gone on with his show with some degree of dignity. Eventually everything would have died down and that would have been that.

Instead, Opie is brutally insane, paranoid, and insecure. I hope Jimmy gets his own show because this thing they have simply will never work.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I want Jim back with Ant. They need each other.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
So Anthony has made amends with Joe DeRosa AND Danny now?

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I skipped through the Anthony clip, and had to laugh at how Vos thought he was making headway on getting them together, and then Ant introduced his shirts lol

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I understand that Opie's crazy, but I can also understand the feeling that the show you had created was no longer the show that was happening. Like you can recognize that the show that's happening is fun and popular and still be sad feeling that it could do the same thing without you being there. I think Jimmy really tried to acknowledge how important it was for him to "steer the ship" and to give him and and Ant a platform for riffing, but Opie didn't want to hear it.

Also, Ant's points aside- I don't think that being upset that someone you've worked closely with for 20 years didn't give you a wedding present or see your first-born child is necessarily "bitch poo poo."

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Modern Leper posted:

Also, Ant's points aside- I don't think that being upset that someone you've worked closely with for 20 years didn't give you a wedding present or see your first-born child is necessarily "bitch poo poo."
Probably not. But seething with wounded rage for years and passive aggressively taking it out on them rather than having a conversation about it like well adjusted humans is some bitch poo poo.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Opie for sure sounds crazy in the clip, but Jim also comes off pretty wormy in that he doesn't want to be perceived as picking a side and risking either his Sirius paycheck or whatever fan backlash Ant's fan base could muster.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Well, the divorced parents thing is a really good analogy. I mean I listened to Jim today and really felt bad for the dude. When my parents split my dad was pulling alot of these same tactics of "you never support me, everybody hates me why is it always on me?" bullshit of trying to force somebody to their side of things. And deliberately dismissing any of Jim's points to get back on the poor Opie train. It's a bullshit thing to do somebody who obviously cares about all parties involved very deeply. Jim has his own responsibilities as a grown adult and I think he handled pretty well considering all the passive aggresive threats Opie was making about ending the show.

Edit: this whole little thing was purely about Opie letting everyone know who runs poo poo and they'd all be hosed without him.

Tr33 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 2, 2015

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Lady Di's phoner earlier was weird. She totally has dementia, is in some kind of facility, and thinks she's back in the Navy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ochowie posted:

Opie for sure sounds crazy in the clip, but Jim also comes off pretty wormy in that he doesn't want to be perceived as picking a side and risking either his Sirius paycheck or whatever fan backlash Ant's fan base could muster.

I don't know. He straight up says if Opie wants him gone earlier he'll leave. It more sounds like he's really tired of having to play both sides.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I don't know. He straight up says if Opie wants him gone earlier he'll leave. It more sounds like he's really tired of having to play both sides.

Opie's a piece of poo poo. He's doing this benevolent ruler bullshit of "hey I don't want you here but I'm not gonna fire you so I don't have to be the badguy! Please like me!" It's really loving gross and I hope Jimmy knows he needs to get out of there before Opie's toxicity really starts messing with his psyche. But not before he gets every penny he's owed for getting a few laughs out of this poo poo show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tr33 posted:

Opie's a piece of poo poo. He's doing this benevolent ruler bullshit of "hey I don't want you here but I'm not gonna fire you so I don't have to be the badguy! Please like me!" It's really loving gross and I hope Jimmy knows he needs to get out of there before Opie's toxicity really starts messing with his psyche. But not before he gets every penny he's owed for getting a few laughs out of this poo poo show.

I haven't listened to the newer stuff, I mainly listen to O&A stuff from the past on Youtube in the background, but what's with Opie and the Uncle Paul character? I always thought it got a little lame at times, but is Opie like angry about it now or something?

Opie really seems to have turned into what he always screamed about, he's an aging shock jock dude who desperately wants to move in a safer direction.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

OldTennisCourt posted:

I haven't listened to the newer stuff, I mainly listen to O&A stuff from the past on Youtube in the background, but what's with Opie and the Uncle Paul character? I always thought it got a little lame at times, but is Opie like angry about it now or something?

Opie has kids. He's a father now. He has two kids. It hits a little too close to home ~sniff~

Tr33
May 26, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Opie really seems to have turned into what he always screamed about, he's an aging shock jock dude who desperately wants to move in a safer direction.

Outside of it just being kinda gross and being a dad, I dunno. But really if it wasn't UP it woulda been another thing. He's just looking for excuses to get rid of Jimmy without taking any blame or looking bad.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I loved Opie's reason for why he doesn't find Uncle Paul funny: "it's creepy and weird". Well................ yes. The rest of us don't think it's wholesome and normal.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I catch less than 10 minutes of the show on the way home and I hear Opie go "do you think Aziz recognized me???"

So needy

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Call Me Charlie posted:

Opie has kids. He's a father now. He has two kids. It hits a little too close to home ~sniff~

Which is EXACTLY what Opie yelled at Maxwell for when he cried about Louis CK making that joke about Eric Clapton's kid.

I will give Opie one thing, he was amazing for taking Bobo's calls at the perfect time to absolute enrage Jimmy. Jimmy's absolute hatred and rage at Bobo was hysterical.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 3, 2015

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
The Lady Di call was disturbing. I thought maybe it was a bit at first, but you can even tell by the tone of her voice that she's completely gone. I wonder if drinking all day, every day for 30 years had something to do with it?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

ozza posted:

I loved Opie's reason for why he doesn't find Uncle Paul funny: "it's creepy and weird". Well................ yes. The rest of us don't think it's wholesome and normal.
Meanwhile Opie thinks Harry Hater is great

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Cromulent posted:

The Lady Di call was disturbing. I thought maybe it was a bit at first, but you can even tell by the tone of her voice that she's completely gone. I wonder if drinking all day, every day for 30 years had something to do with it?

"What? No. Everyone forgets stuff all the time!"

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

He does say that. But I guess he's not fed up enough to leave. Not sure I would either leave on my own either, but that would be the principled thing to do. None of this is a defense of Opie, I just thought they both came off pretty badly in this exchange (Opie much worse).

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Cromulent posted:

I'm guessing she's in some type of home? You could hear several people in the background like she's in a recreational area or something. She thought Ronald Reagan was president ffs. I'd hope that she's lying to save face but drat.

She put so much torque on her body through the years it was bound to break at some point. During her internship she admitted she didn't eat much at all and most likely 90% of her daily calorie intake was from beer.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 3, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ochowie posted:

He does say that. But I guess he's not fed up enough to leave. Not sure I would either leave on my own either, but that would be the principled thing to do. None of this is a defense of Opie, I just thought they both came off pretty badly in this exchange (Opie much worse).

I understand principles, but he also made it clear he and Ant are cool and Anthony even went on his show and said "Jimmy's in a poo poo situation, I don't blame him at all for trying to make some more money".

Jimmy also doesn't seem to HATE Opie, he's just getting loving tired of dealing with his poo poo. Opie really wants to turn the show into a very safe show and Jimmy has no place in that.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I understand principles, but he also made it clear he and Ant are cool and Anthony even went on his show and said "Jimmy's in a poo poo situation, I don't blame him at all for trying to make some more money".

Jimmy also doesn't seem to HATE Opie, he's just getting loving tired of dealing with his poo poo. Opie really wants to turn the show into a very safe show and Jimmy has no place in that.

Yeah I just don't buy the premise that Jimmy is in a poo poo situation by riding out the rest of a seven figure contract while having unlimited time to pursue his side projects. Does it suck that two of his longtime friends are fighting? Yes. Is it a situation akin to being a child caught in the middle of a divorce? I personally don't think so.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Ochowie posted:

Yeah I just don't buy the premise that Jimmy is in a poo poo situation by riding out the rest of a seven figure contract while having unlimited time to pursue his side projects. Does it suck that two of his longtime friends are fighting? Yes. Is it a situation akin to being a child caught in the middle of a divorce? I personally don't think so.

I personally do think so. Mommy Opie definitely thinks Daddy Anthony is filling baby Jimmy's head with mean thoughts about Opie. Opie got to keep the house and custody in the divorce and is still full of resentment for Anthony, while Anthony's been forced to move on and rebuild.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

livingfruitvirus posted:

I personally do think so. Mommy Opie definitely thinks Daddy Anthony is filling baby Jimmy's head with mean thoughts about Opie. Opie got to keep the house and custody in the divorce and is still full of resentment for Anthony, while Anthony's been forced to move on and rebuild.

Yeah this isn't just two buddies fighting. It's two buddies, one of whom is basically your boss who you work with every day and who thinks the other friend has turned you into a snitch for him. How the gently caress are you supposed to chill out and be funny when you have to deal with a paranoid dude who is constantly talking about vague backstabbing and blah blah blah.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

livingfruitvirus posted:

It doesn't sound like anything was stopping little Jimmy from moving on with Daddy Anthony. He chose the security of the money by continuing with toxic Mommy Opie so again it's tough for me to feel too badly for him.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah this isn't just two buddies fighting. It's two buddies, one of whom is basically your boss who you work with every day and who thinks the other friend has turned you into a snitch for him. How the gently caress are you supposed to chill out and be funny when you have to deal with a paranoid dude who is constantly talking about vague backstabbing and blah blah blah.

By being a professional and tuning it out. I've worked for bosses I've hated before for much less pay than Jimmy receives and I'm sure most people have as well. Again, it's not a great situation but Jimmy is an adult who can choose to remove himself from it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I get your point and I semi-agree, but this isn't working an office or whatever. We've heard enough Jocktobers to see how one dude can tank a show and Opie's really not going for the type of stuff Jimmy finds funny anymore. When your entire job is basically to make each other and the audience laugh, it's hard to do when your partner's a guy like latter day Opie.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I get your point and I semi-agree, but this isn't working an office or whatever. We've heard enough Jocktobers to see how one dude can tank a show and Opie's really not going for the type of stuff Jimmy finds funny anymore. When your entire job is basically to make each other and the audience laugh, it's hard to do when your partner's a guy like latter day Opie.

I totally agree that being funny with Opie is really tough. Also, I've noticed the quality of the comedian guests has dipped (maybe it's just my personal dislike for Vic Henley). But it seems like Jimmy always has the option to move on but doesn't because of the paycheck he receives from the show. Also, I would hope that Jimmy has saved up enough money where he's not relying on this money and if he hasn't that leaves me with even less sympathy for him.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ochowie posted:

It doesn't sound like anything was stopping little Jimmy from moving on with Daddy Anthony. He chose the security of the money by continuing with toxic Mommy Opie so again it's tough for me to feel too badly for him.

Jimmy should have pulled a Bill Burr in 2008 but he decided to stay loyal to the show. Now it's the only thing he has left since his career has lost all momentum. I don't blame him for continuing to take the easy paychecks instead of taking a giant paycut to work with Anthony and doubling his standup gigs to stay afloat.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Jimmy should have pulled a Bill Burr in 2008 but he decided to stay loyal to the show. Now it's the only thing he has left since his career has lost all momentum. I don't blame him for continuing to take the easy paychecks instead of taking a giant paycut to work with Anthony and doubling his standup gigs to stay afloat.

I don't blame him but I also don't have much sympathy for him either.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

"We're not that close"

Why would anyone then after hearing that give a gently caress about your personal problems, or how you think they hadn't supported you enough?

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Ochowie posted:

I don't blame him but I also don't have much sympathy for him either.

What's it like being a robot?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Tr33 posted:

What's it like being a robot?

I am not a robot. Jimmy made a decision to stay in a toxic situation because the money was too good and I'm supposed to feel bad for him? Even now after this rediculous outburst from Opie he still won't make the decision to walk away, instead he prefers to let the October contract deadline make the decision for him.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Ochowie posted:

I am not a robot. Jimmy made a decision to stay in a toxic situation because the money was too good and I'm supposed to feel bad for him? Even now after this rediculous outburst from Opie he still won't make the decision to walk away, instead he prefers to let the October contract deadline make the decision for him.

Yeah look, it's really easy to see it when you're peering in on what someone else going through. Jimmy needs to get out, but I'm sure there's a huge piece of him who wants to believe Opie isn't this much of a manipulative piece of poo poo. Like, I'm sure it has more to do with just the money at this point.

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
gently caress Opie for his embarrassing passive aggressive rant about Pepper Hicks breaking his chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Tr33 posted:

Yeah look, it's really easy to see it when you're peering in on what someone else going through. Jimmy needs to get out, but I'm sure there's a huge piece of him who wants to believe Opie isn't this much of a manipulative piece of poo poo. Like, I'm sure it has more to do with just the money at this point.

Yeah I agree with you. In my first post I said that I would probably have a tough time walking away too. It is interesting that they just signed a new contract a little more than a month ago.

• Locked thread