Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
This thread in Ask/Tell is BWM: I need some legal advice, because my roommate is a paranoid imbecile!

quote:

I've recently moved to a new city (in Oregon) with an idiot. I didn't really know they were an idiot until I moved in with them, but that's besides the point.

When we initially moved in to the place, she opted to cover me for the first month's rent plus half the deposit, totaling approximately $1,000. Which she said was generous, and I'd be inclined to agree if she didn't immediately start hounding me about when I would pay her back, and how much money I was spending (not very much, and certainly not $1,000) on move in necessities, like basic furnishings, etc.

I've yet to find work, and she knows this. I have no income as of now, but no matter how much I explain that to her, she seems to insist that I can somehow fabricate the money, or possibly that I'm holding out on her. She is not in any kind of dire situation. She's sitting on a few thousand, so I know this isn't some pressing need of hers, beyond her need to be in control.

Yesterday, at about 3:00am, she sent me a "threatening" text about rent money, which is the only money I have, and which I've told her numerous times is going to the landlady as agreed in the lease, and that there's no risk of me not paying. I then awoke to find that she had taped a hand-written contract to my door. I haven't read it, and refuse to, because at this point, I'm tired of her petty belligerence, and paranoid accusations. She's responded by threatening legal action. She claims that she's willing to go to court over this.

Now, as far as I'm aware, I actually have no obligation to pay her a dime. We made no written agreement about the initial move-in fees that she opted to cover, and at best, out of a sense of friendly co-operation, I might have told her I'd pay her back when I can. Which is certainly not now, as she should know. It doesn't seem to click. Beyond that, I don't believe she has a case. She can't prove that I've said anything, and in all our written communications, I can't find a single reference to debts owed or payments agreed to.

So what I'd like to know is, what should I be doing? I mean, I don't think this threat is serious. She'll take me to court, I'm sure, but I don't think she has a case of any kind. Does that seem right? Should I be looking into some sort of defense? Any advice is appreciated.

Edit: The landlady was present when my roommate paid the rent/deposit, and I can't remember if I said anything at that point about paying her back. I definitely don't think the landlady is going to want to be dragged to court over something this stupid, to testify that I made some kind of verbal agreement.

Edit 2: Someone told me that I should tell my roommate that I will neither read or sign the contract without having a lawyer review it first, and that she would be responsible for the lawyer's bill. I don't know these things, is that normal? Is that even a real thing? Because it'd be great if it was.

Also, leaving up your Christmas lights from the day after Thanksgiving-mid January is BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

lambeth posted:

This thread in Ask/Tell is BWM: I need some legal advice, because my roommate is a paranoid imbecile!

Also, leaving up your Christmas lights from the day after Thanksgiving-mid January is BWM.

False, leaving them up is FWM (fine with money). Turning them on all the drat time: BWM.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

lambeth posted:

The few bucks of electricity it costs to run them is far, far offset by the general good feeling they tend to give. Especially when it's dark by like 3PM.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

This poo poo is hilarious. He spent his share of first month's rent and deposit on "move in necessities" with no prospect of paying his new roommate back, and is appalled that she's getting increasingly demanding about it. The OP's description reads like a fanfic sequel to A Confederacy of Dunces wherein Ignatius and Myra move in together in New York.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

mastershakeman posted:

You'd have to turn it over in discovery, assuming the other side isn't incompetent.

Not in a criminal case. If you are the defendant and have video of the incident, and you aren't planning on using it at trial, the only way for the prosecution to obtain it would be via warrant or consent. The defense absolutely does not have to hand over incriminating evidence to the prosecution, unless they are planning on using it at trial.

Subjunctive posted:

Turning over existing evidence isn't the same as giving testimony, and it's the latter that's covered by the Fifth.

Nah, the defendant is protected against self-incrimination, period. Drug dealers and people who text while they're driving don't need to turn over their cell phones (though they often give consent to turn them over to police because they are stupid), drunk drivers don't need to take breath tests (though refusal often means your license gets taken away as part of the implied consent stuff when you get a license), and hackers don't need to give over their computers. The state either needs consent to go through that stuff, or they need to obtain a warrant.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 2, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Easychair Bootson posted:

The OP's description reads like a fanfic sequel to A Confederacy of Dunces wherein Ignatius and Myra move in together in New York.

lmao perfect

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dillbag posted:

I've has a dash cam for over a year and have never recorded anything remotely interesting other than some scary rain storms, but I know that if it ever captures an accident I'm involved in there's a 50/50 chance it will either exonerate me or convict me.
You can just make like the police and destroy the tape if it would convict you. Sorry, camera malfunction. :welp:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

This poo poo is hilarious. He spent his share of first month's rent and deposit on "move in necessities" with no prospect of paying his new roommate back, and is appalled that she's getting increasingly demanding about it. The OP's description reads like a fanfic sequel to A Confederacy of Dunces wherein Ignatius and Myra move in together in New York.

Look she's sitting on a few thousand, so what's the matter if she loses $1000?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ohgodwhat posted:

Look she's sitting on a few thousand, so what's the matter if she loses $1000?

#ThousandaireProblems

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

il serpente cosmico posted:

Not in a criminal case. If you are the defendant and have video of the incident, and you aren't planning on using it at trial, the only way for the prosecution to obtain it would be via warrant or consent.

Right, my point is that the court can compel you to hand over the evidence (via a warrant), but has no way to compel you to testify against yourself. If the Fifth covered evidence possessed by the defendant -- if surrendering that evidence was considered self-incrimination -- nobody would ever try to destroy evidence, they'd just keep it in their possession.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Can't decide who is more dumb, OP or the roommate who let some dummy with no job and no money move in to leech off her.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Can't decide who is more dumb, OP or the roommate who let some dummy with no job and no money move in to leech off her.

When she herself is jobless, too. It boggles the mind.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Right, my point is that the court can compel you to hand over the evidence (via a warrant), but has no way to compel you to testify against yourself. If the Fifth covered evidence possessed by the defendant -- if surrendering that evidence was considered self-incrimination -- nobody would ever try to destroy evidence, they'd just keep it in their possession.

Ah, got it, I was confused by what you'd said because other posters had implied that defendants have to hand over inculpatory evidence as part of the discovery process.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

NancyPants posted:

When she herself is jobless, too. It boggles the mind.

In that case, the landlord is the dumbest one.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

effervescible posted:

In that case, the landlord is the dumbest one.

Tenant got off good. He got to move in with zero down. He'll crash two months then move on to his next squat.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

NancyPants posted:

Christmas is BWM. Have budgeted comfortably for it but I still don't want to spend the drat money.
I know this makes me sound like The Grinch, but years and years of receiving all sorts of odd, thoughtless gifts has led me to the same conclusion. Everyone ends up buying others gifts that the receiver probably doesn't want, or need. And it's not like we're all breaking even at the end of it all- I'd be cool with it, if we were. But usually everyone's worse off money-wise. Because I really didn't need a breakfast-in-bed stool. Or a corn-cob holder. Can't we all just get together, eat turkey and decadent food, and just call it a night without a bunch of BWM gift-giving? :(

Oh, and about all of this dashcam talk: +1 to dashcams. My wife and I both have one, and they've already saved our asses less than a year after buying them. Highly recommended. In my wife's case, a speeding texter caused a three vehicle collision, then tried to accuse my wife of "driving like she's crazy". The dashcam footage proved otherwise.

il serpente cosmico posted:

drunk drivers don't need to take breath tests (though refusal often means your license gets taken away as part of the implied consent stuff when you get a license),
I'd be careful with this advice, because it all depends on your jurisdiction. Here in Canada, you are absolutely required to provide a breathalyzer sample if requested by a police officer.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 2, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

melon cat posted:

I know this makes me sound like The Grinch, but years and years of receiving all sorts of odd, thoughtless gifts has led me to the same conclusion. Everyone ends up buying others gifts that the receiver probably doesn't want, or need. And it's not like we're all breaking even at the end of it all- I'd be cool with it, if we were. But usually everyone's worse off money-wise. Because I really didn't need a breakfast-in-bed stool. Or a corn-cob holder. Can't we all just get together, eat turkey and decadent food, and just call it a night without a bunch of BWM gift-giving? :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/12/25/an-economists-guide-to-gift-giving/
You're not wrong. The moral of the story is that gift giving should only be done for people you know very well

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
Shamelessly stolen from the Games chat thread. Piracy is surprisingly BWM.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753916&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post453392375

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

melon cat posted:

I'd be careful with this advice, because it all depends on your jurisdiction. Here in Canada, you are absolutely required to provide a breathalyzer sample if requested by a police officer.

Sorry, I thought the discussion about the US bill of rights made it clear that I was talking about the United States.

I should also add that my only experience is with Oregon.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

It's evidence that he had enough to buy the game but he pirated it anyway. Effectively buying a pirated copy for $1700+ is stupid and BWM.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Bitcoin is the real BWM in that thread

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 3, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wow. Talk about instant karma.

Generally by the time you start making enough money to invest in pretty much anything you should have stopped pirating because you actually have assets to pursue.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Bitcoin is the real BWM in that thread
huh? sounds like someone made at least ~$1700 using bitcoin, sounds good with money to me

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

huh? sounds like someone made at least ~$1700 using bitcoin, sounds good with money to me

You can't say if he bought $1,000 or $2,000 worth.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Inverse Icarus posted:

You can't say if he bought $1,000 or $2,000 worth.

The thief made $1700, tard.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

The thief made $1700, tard.

He only got a little under 5 internet dollars, he still has to find a way to exchange them without getting stabbed or molested first! :v:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, he can turn them into gift cards really easily. Oh wait

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

He only got a little under 5 internet dollars, he still has to find a way to exchange them without getting stabbed or molested first! :v:

The theft is irrelevant, owning 5 bitcoins is BWM, you either spent real money to get them or spent more than they were worth in real money on mining hardware and electricity

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Not a Children posted:

Wow. Talk about instant karma.

Generally by the time you start making enough money to invest in pretty much anything you should have stopped pirating because you actually have assets to pursue.

I think the thing here is not that he paid 4 BTC for the torrent, but rather that he downloaded a pirated copy of Fallout that contained code that found his wallet and cleaned him out.

Guys its serious, that 4 bitcoins was his retirement savings

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nah, I get it, my point was that pirating in general opens you up to a large amount of liability for relatively little gain, even if bitcoin theft isn't the usual form of restitution. Kids generally do it because they don't have money, but adults with money to spend who do it are just taking an unnecessary risk.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Nah, I get it, my point was that pirating in general opens you up to a large amount of liability for relatively little gain, even if bitcoin theft isn't the usual form of restitution. Kids generally do it because they don't have money, but adults with money to spend who do it are just taking an unnecessary risk.

There's some argument for things that are impossible to buy. For example, I love masterchef uk. I would buy a subscription service or dvd if it was available. As far as I know there is no legal way to watch it in the us. There's plenty of other abandoned content. Old Nintendo roms? They could easily sell those for pc but they don't. New games and movies though? I thought everyone knew that was stupid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Leviathan Song posted:

Old Nintendo roms? They could easily sell those for pc but they don't.
There's a legal avenue for those, it's called buying one of Nintendo's systems and buying them off the virtual console or whatever it's called now. You might not like it, but it's a legal avenue for the content and buying their hardware is part of the asking price.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I can support the concept of pirating to hopefully push a right's owner into expanding their formats or options. I downloaded poo poo from Napster because there wasn't another option to buy individual tracks of songs I wanted. The moment iTunes came around I purchased everything I listened to. Likewise with Photoshop. I can't afford a $600 program that I have to upgrade every 2 or 3 years. $10 a month though, that I'll do.

Nintendo games are trickier because Nintendo is a hardware company. Without the money from console and handheld sales there is no new content. Maybe they could make up that revenue by expanding their market share for software, but it's a pretty big risk

And Fallout...WTF. It's on 3 or 4 different formats with digital and physical media and if that's not enough you can just rent it.

That was one expensive Fallout game he downloaded that he still technically doesn't own.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Stop trying to justify copyright infringement. You didn't want to pay the money for whatever it is you downloaded and that's the end of it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
But... but isn't getting everything you want for free and getting away with it GWM??

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

overdesigned posted:

Don't worry, he can turn them into gift cards really easily. Oh wait

Gift cards (notoriously difficult to buy at discount) sold for 80% off even though the going rate for gift cards on secondary markets is about 50 cents on the dollar?? sounds legit, I'll take $30k worth

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Likewise with Photoshop. I can't afford a $600 program that I have to upgrade every 2 or 3 years. $10 a month though, that I'll do.

You're saying that like it's a massive difference but $600 every three years is about $16 per month.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Haha, I've mentioned this before, truly we have come full circle:

froglet posted:

Somebody told me I was bad with money for still buying CD's when I can just torrent it or get a streaming subscription. On the one hand, I do listen to a lot of music and paying for a streaming service might be a net saving on the entertainment item on my budget. On the other, I still use CD's in my car and my mobile phone bill would probably end up more expensive just from the increased data usage. I think it's one of those things that's really context dependent.

And I won't even touch the torrenting thing, it's one of those discussions that pretty much always ends in a massive argument.

I read a book a few years ago about this - called Freeloading: How our insatiable appetite for free content starves creativity. In fact, it (and the rest of the publishers catalogue) is on sale this week for USD$1! While I don't agree wholesale with everything he has to say, it is very interesting.

A few years back there was a Video Game Tycoon type game where if you pirated the game you weren't able to win... because people kept pirating your games in the game itself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pirating software is the problem - that guy got hosed up because he ran some random executable. Pirating songs doesn't have the same effect and, in fact, it's good. Actually downloading them is kinda silly though when you can stream them any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

uninverted posted:

You're saying that like it's a massive difference but $600 every three years is about $16 per month.

It's still significantly cheaper because every time a new version comes out you have to pay the upgrade price. So $16 every month + $200 every 2 or 3 years. And you get Lightroom with it.

Maybe this had nothing to do with the millions of people who pirated Photoshop. But it looks like Adobe found a way to get a steady income stream while also reducing piracy and expanding their market share. Which also allows them to add cloud-based copy protection without getting their end users upset, further reducing piracy. Apparently like 2/3rds of all their revenue comes from subscriptions now.

• Locked thread