Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

redreader posted:

What's a normal timeframe for a bay area company to get back to you after an interview? It's been exactly two days since I walked out of their office after (I think) giving a good interview, so I'm thinking I probably didn't get that job... ?

The interviewers might not have even met for a debrief yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If I got told by an (internal) recruiter that I was the best candidate so far and did really well, but that the company wants to interview other people in line first and would get back to me in two weeks, should I be worried?

One of the people in the company is supposed to be on holiday until then too, I don't think that that's the major concern though. Fwiw the job has been first posted on various jobsites about 2 months ago, and they seemed to interview people quickly. It's bit of a niche thing (medical device software). They did tell me to get in touch with them if I absolutely need an answer sooner.

I have other options but I would much prefer this one. This is in UK if it matters.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

If I got told by an (internal) recruiter that I was the best candidate so far and did really well, but that the company wants to interview other people in line first and would get back to me in two weeks, should I be worried?

One of the people in the company is supposed to be on holiday until then too, I don't think that that's the major concern though. Fwiw the job has been first posted on various jobsites about 2 months ago, and they seemed to interview people quickly. It's bit of a niche thing (medical device software). They did tell me to get in touch with them if I absolutely need an answer sooner.

I have other options but I would much prefer this one. This is in UK if it matters.

It means exactly what it sounds like:
"You were the best so far, but [we] think one of these people might be better."

There's no hidden code.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Anyone here have any luck with Indeed Prime, or heard about it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Cryolite posted:

Anyone here have any luck with Indeed Prime, or heard about it?

quote:

How it works

Join Indeed Prime in 3 minutes

Once approved, we share your profile with our vetted employer network

Meet companies in one week

Interested employers will reach out with salary, position, and equity upfront

Get hired!

Land your next dream job on Indeed Prime and receive a $5,000 signing bonus from Indeed
http://www.indeed.com/prime

This sounds more or less identical to Hired.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Yeah, looks like they're trying to clone hired.com's model. I'm curious to hear from someone who's tried it.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If it operates like Hired does, then it's probably relatively unfriendly to newbies. In my experience, Hired doesn't approve candidates it deems unlikely to be successfully placed (i.e. fresh grads with little-to-no experience).
That said, I know a guy who got a job through Hired with just one internship under his belt, so ymmv.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone actually give a poo poo about MOOC certificates?

I've been doing some occasionally here and there and noticed that they started charging for the certificates at some point. Some places let you attach various diplomas and other papers to your application so that could be a place to stick them.

I occasionally interviewed/hired people but this never came up. I guess I'd give it a slight plus that they have some sort of general knowledge of the subject matter?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just got back from interviewing with AT&T, feel pretty good about it. Format was pretty standard to what I've seen - some easy behavioral stuff I've answered a hundred times before and then a technical session that asked me to talk about a project on my resume, about OOP principles (I talked mostly about encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance), and asked me to design and pseudocode a simple Elevator system. Should hear back in a couple of weeks, and if I get the offer, they have training programs that start in either late January or in July, either of which works for me.

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster
I'm working on securing a $5,000 loan ($4,995 tax included) for Skilled Trades tickets in welding which I will invest in my information system business corporation.
It is a 20 years old company dealing with general AI , theoretical analysis and practical information systems including robotics.
That is also good for projects to mine in space with drones...

The income from the work would generate an average of $21 per hours.

I can then become member of a union and also work 600 hours to complete a first year apprentice training as part of another skilled trades system.

I could apply for more employment contracts without business contracts in information systems about codes that I never learned.
I may not be able to put in any practice if I would to continuously learn new skills to get contracts.
(This is partly explained due to NDA, encryption need for security and related causes.)

My business investment in this field allowed me to bypass discrimination, and keep intellectual property for myself to put in practice for business.

(There are other benefits, but I have 30 seconds left until I log back in elsewhere.)

Edit:
I could get a degree in psychology and get a license in psychiatry which combined with computer science allows to work in the field of cybernetics.
(It is otherwise illegal to do it without the authorized professional at this time to prevent potential health problems.)
Edit 2:
+ Police training requires to pass medical assessments and other requirements.
End of Edit 2.

I currently have ongoing litigation (as most tech cie do) which is not surprising given the amount of calling people foolish.

I studied a lot of information related to physics and science and I learned that it would lead to litigation to do so.
This also undermines and slows down the benefits of potential discovery from work and risk increased problems for control of intellectual property.
I also found better ways to protect my (IP) works.

Swit fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 2, 2015

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Swit posted:

I'm working on securing a $5,000 loan ($4,995 tax included) for Skilled Trades tickets in welding which I will invest in my information system business corporation.
It is a 20 years old company dealing with general AI , theoretical analysis and practical information systems including robotics.
That is also good for projects to mine in space with drones...

The income from the work would generate an average of $21 per hours.

I can then become member of a union and also work 600 hours to complete a first year apprentice training as part of another skilled trades system.

I could apply for more employment contracts without business contracts in information systems about codes that I never learned.
I may not be able to put in any practice if I would to continuously learn new skills to get contracts.

My business investment in this field allowed me to bypass discrimination, and keep intellectual property for myself to put in practice for business.

(There are other benefits, but I have 30 seconds left until I log back in elsewhere.)

buddy, your posts make no sense!! nobody understands what you're talking about or why you're posting here. either your english is terrible or you may be schizophrenic.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Stop responding to him, please.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA
I don't understand why Expedia, Amazon, and Microsoft will only hire junior developers to do Java. Is it because they don't trust us or because they don't like us? Is there some mom's weird trick I can use to apply to a team that's not locked into Java forever?

I once made the mistake of asking a seemingly technical HR person if it would be ok if I wrote all my code in Clojure and compiled it to Java, or if that was something they were looking into doing, and they looked at me with equal parts confusion and contempt.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

my effigy burns posted:

I don't understand why Expedia, Amazon, and Microsoft will only hire junior developers to do Java.

My best guess is that it's because their software is written in Java.

my effigy burns posted:

I once made the mistake of asking a seemingly technical HR person if it would be ok if I wrote all my code in Clojure and compiled it to Java, or if that was something they were looking into doing, and they looked at me with equal parts confusion and contempt.

Understandably.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

sarehu posted:

My best guess is that it's because their software is written in Java.

Yes, every time I make a purchase on Amazon or book a flight through Expedia, I once again am reminded that their entire front-end is nothing but Java Applets. Definitely these companies have no need for front-end people, no specialized JavaScript knowledge, no use for CSS, no interest in responsive design, no "web services" with a non-java backend, and no plan to every use any other language ever.

All Hail Java, Java yesterday, Java today, Java forever!

my effigy burns fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 2, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Being a junior developer, you aren't good at any of that stuff. But you might be good for working on their Java stuff. If you want to work on a front-end, I recommend looking at businesses where the stakes are lower.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
But can't you see! Waiting for a response for my credit card data on the same socket that I POSTed on is inefficient. By decoupling them with a modern web-socket, something totally disconnected from the heavy lifting the platform is actually doing to provide value, the UX of the whole flow is improved!

my effigy burns posted:

no plan to every use any other language ever.
Step 1 of any plan to do an entire rewrite onto a new platform: Post job adverts to hire junior developers in that language.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

JawnV6 posted:

But can't you see! Waiting for a response for my credit card data on the same socket that I POSTed on is inefficient. By decoupling them with a modern web-socket, something totally disconnected from the heavy lifting the platform is actually doing to provide value, the UX of the whole flow is improved!

Step 1 of any plan to do an entire rewrite onto a new platform: Post job adverts to hire junior developers in that language.

Clearly a better Step 1 is to only hire senior devs with at least 7-10 years of experience with ES6, React, Socket.io, and Node. When that mysteriously fails, switch back to Java or php and then complain about the critical web developer shortage.

I think there's a reasonable argument for both sides, but why would a company be willing to hire someone who doesn't really know or like java when there are a bazillion experienced java programmers out there, but be totally disinterested in hiring that same person as a junior dev onto a team that uses contemporary technology?

my effigy burns fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 2, 2015

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

my effigy burns posted:

Clearly a better Step 1 is to only hire senior devs with at least 7-10 years of experience with ES6, React, Socket.io, and Node. When that mysteriously fails, switch back to Java or php and then complain about the critical web developer shortage.

I think there's a reasonable argument for both sides, but why would a company be willing to hire someone who doesn't really know or like java when there are a bazillion experienced java programmers out there, but be totally disinterested in hiring that same person as a junior dev onto a team that uses contemporary technology?

Dude, you're trying to work for the wrong companies - you want to work for a startup/small company. Big hosed-up companies want to outsource the front end work and aren't interested in hiring juniors for it, they just have to advertise for the position because of their H1B stuff.

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster
My original professional Errors and Omissions liability insurance was $2,000 a year and covered 1 million in 1992.

Now it's approximately the same price but covers up to 5 million for business (without additional insurances).

(That does not include commercial real estate insurance for a business office.)

I just got a work related right hand soft tissue injury form filled out by a doctor yesterday otherwise I wouldn't have the time to be posting.
The employer is supposed to allow me back to work but made the mistake to send me home.

I am going back to the emergency to get additional strength testing on my right hand.
Those medical test will be to further prove me ability to work and that there is no risk of aggravated injury.

Btw, my sister is a medical doctor for 20 years and has over 3 million liquid in asset.
This will help for business, among other things.
+ Her ROI is lower than she can achieve.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

my effigy burns posted:

I skimmed your previous posts- it seems like you've defined "smaller" companies as having fewer than 20k employees, when you should really be considering "small" to be ~50, maybe less. If you're a bootcamp grad with no other CS experience, you should be aiming for a startup that uses the stack you learned, with the expectation that you'll need to keep teaching yourself after they hire you. (Even if you have no idea how the startup is supposed to make money, and even if you secretly loathe startup culture, the startup bubble is largely what led to bootcamps, so you're in a position to take advantage of it for what it is.)

I found a job at a large company after doing a JavaScript bootcamp (did you do Code Fellows?), and it is an actual JS-focused entry-level software engineering position, but it's a fairly small niche within the company, and I did already have most of a CS degree. I suspect a lot of the people coming out of your course and getting jobs at larger companies are in the same boat RE: having had at least some prior experience.

(Having said that, there are so many entry-level java jobs because nobody wants to do java, and most of the 'entry-level' people who ostensibly know java, write terrible code, so if you can learn java and your code is actually good, that's a viable option)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

my effigy burns posted:

Is it because they don't trust us or because they don't like us?
They don't trust you.

my effigy burns posted:

Is there some mom's weird trick I can use to apply to a team that's not locked into Java forever?
Sure, take whatever position you can get, gain some experience, then apply for the job you want. It's OK to switch technology stacks. It does take time and effort, though.

my effigy burns posted:

That's about right. I'd expect the same response from a Senior Engineer too.

my effigy burns posted:

Definitely these companies have no need for front-end people, no specialized JavaScript knowledge, no use for CSS, no interest in responsive design, no "web services"
They do have an interest in these things, but that might not be what their current hiring needs are. Or maybe they prefer to recruit internally when working with newer technologies because they're riskier.

my effigy burns posted:

with a non-java backend, and no plan to every use any other language ever.
So Amazon, Expedia, and Microsoft are all companies who have had a web presence for (nearly) 20 years. Node has been usable for, what, four years? They're not rewriting their backends that often, and there's really no reason for them to either. In these contexts Java (or C#) is king and appropriately so.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 2, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thank loving god they're not all jumping on the responsive bandwagon too, because that mostly seems to be an excuse to replace the desktop interface with a scaled up mobile design, completely ruining usability in the process.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So Amazon, Expedia, and Microsoft are all companies who have had a web presence for (nearly) 20 years. Node has been usable for, what, four years?

I'd like to think I didn't have so much naked contempt for established companies not interrupting their established value prop for a flavor of the month when I was younger. But really, everyone should hope to make something as durable as the Space Jam website.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
That's kind of a strange tweet, since the Space Jam website was released before anything that Google ever put out (Search was 1997, Space Jam site was 1996). As long as the Space Jam website stays up, it will have "outlasted" everything by Google, which doesn't really say much about the durability of their products.

edit: unless they're specifically referring to the style

Bognar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 2, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Bothering to consider whether what you're saying makes any sense is beneath some people.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I had an interview at Roku last week on Monday and they haven't got back to me. I'm starting to think that I need to do the unthinkable: start applying to jobs in actual san francisco (I live in san jose). The commute (caltrain probably) would kill me but it seems that's where all the jobs are these days. I have another interview for a south bay company tomorrow but my heart isn't in it, I'm getting a bit despondent. I have a friend who did a bootcamp for like, one month, and he has a job offer. I have a cs degree, lots of experience, I am able to do stuff, like actual work that works, and nothing for me yet. What the hell. I think the job market has slowed down a lot (also I needed to up my interview game, which has slowly been happening over the last few months), but yeah, ugh.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Does anyone have any experience with sales engineering? I've been in consulting since I graduated 3.5 years ago and from my very limited knowledge seems like something that would be more up my alley. Asking because an old classmate just hit me up today wondering if I'd be interested.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Necc0 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with sales engineering? I've been in consulting since I graduated 3.5 years ago and from my very limited knowledge seems like something that would be more up my alley. Asking because an old classmate just hit me up today wondering if I'd be interested.

I have a friend who works in sales engineering. He is pretty junior (like 3-5 years experience) and he earns poo poo tons of money (140k + commission, at some company I've never heard of before). I did some research, and the salary bracket for sales engineering is higher than the average dev/qa for the same company. Yes I am sure google/facebook devs get more money than 140k but it seems like within the same company, sales engineering will get more than dev/qa dev.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

redreader posted:

I have a friend who works in sales engineering. He is pretty junior (like 3-5 years experience) and he earns poo poo tons of money (140k + commission, at some company I've never heard of before). I did some research, and the salary bracket for sales engineering is higher than the average dev/qa for the same company. Yes I am sure google/facebook devs get more money than 140k but it seems like within the same company, sales engineering will get more than dev/qa dev.

Sales engineering often comes with the requirement of travel, so salaries are higher to compensate.

Also human interaction.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Bognar posted:

Sales engineering often comes with the requirement of travel, so salaries are higher to compensate.

Also human interaction.

Yeah he definitely travels, I should have mentioned that. He's a fast talker (literally) but not actually good with people. He was a virgin until 30. His tech skills are pretty minimal. He's pushy though... maybe that makes up for the lack of personal skills.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

my effigy burns posted:

Yes, every time I make a purchase on Amazon or book a flight through Expedia, I once again am reminded that their entire front-end is nothing but Java Applets.

It's not a java applet, its html (and maybe css and js) that is rendered by a java application. a lot of browsers disable java applets because it was/is a huge exploit vector.

quote:

Definitely these companies have no need for front-end people

http://www.amazon.jobs/results?teamIds[]=80901&jobCategoryIds[]=70 ? There is a great need for people with strong frontend experience, and entire teams are devoted to making a better, faster, and more efficient experience.

quote:

no specialized JavaScript knowledge, no use for CSS,

i'm not sure what this means

quote:

no interest in responsive design,

this is more a function of having to support legacy browsers (because they make money) plus the cost/benefit of migrating entire frontends.

quote:

no "web services" with a non-java backend, and no plan to every use any other language ever.

At Amazon I've used Scala, Java, Javascript, C++, Ruby, Python, and sadly Perl in various capacities. I know of a few teams using golang and clojure, but that's because what they work on requires them to use those languages.

the reason so much of amazon used java (and other jvm languages) is because the tooling and automation surrounding it for new services is amazing. in about a day i can spin up a new service with a continuous deployment pipeline that does

* automated log scans, metrics, and alarms
* service fuzzing
* load testing
* tiered rollout with monitors for automated rollback
* authentication, authorization, and accounting

and vend multi-language, backwards compatible clients in a safe and sane way.

quote:

All Hail Java, Java yesterday, Java today, Java forever!

yeah, basically

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Bognar posted:

Also human interaction.

I have a broken brain and have the perfect trifecta of being technical, enjoying business travel, and being good with people. Might give this a shot because yeah, apparently the money is pretty drat good.

I've also been told I should consider a management track due to my tech/people skills but I hate the idea of being a boss. This seems like it'd be much more my thing.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

my effigy burns posted:

no "web services" with a non-java backend

Non-java backends that aren't written in C++ are essentially an incorrect choice for any company even remotely close to Amazon's scale.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

I have a broken brain and have the perfect trifecta of being technical, enjoying business travel, and being good with people. Might give this a shot because yeah, apparently the money is pretty drat good.

I've also been told I should consider a management track due to my tech/people skills but I hate the idea of being a boss. This seems like it'd be much more my thing.

Have you actually traveled for business on a regular basis? It's fun at first but starts being awful pretty fast. I'm in Pittsburgh this week, Ottawa next week, then dallas and maybe Boston the two weeks after that.

The only good part is getting all of the sweet sweet frequent flyer miles. For trips you'll never take because the last loving thing you want to do with your time off is travel more.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ithaqua posted:

Have you actually traveled for business on a regular basis? It's fun at first but starts being awful pretty fast. I'm in Pittsburgh this week, Ottawa next week, then dallas and maybe Boston the two weeks after that.

The only good part is getting all of the sweet sweet frequent flyer miles. For trips you'll never take because the last loving thing you want to do with your time off is travel more.

I have. It becomes a drag if it's unending but I don't seem to be affected by it nearly as badly as others are.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ithaqua posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh this week, Ottawa next week, then dallas and maybe Boston the two weeks after that.

Tell me when you're in Boston, I'll buy you a drink. :guinness:

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

b0lt posted:

Non-java backends that aren't written in C++ are essentially an incorrect choice for any company even remotely close to Amazon's scale.

Where did you get that impression? If you make scalable architectural choices and throw enough hosts behind a properly configured load balancer, it really doesn't matter what language you use.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

b0lt posted:

This isn't even remotely true. A lot of the performance critical pieces for large systems are written in Erlang and Facebook is mostly php. Language choice isn't that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

This isn't even remotely true.

I'm pretty sure he was joking.