Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I like how First Come First Serve sounds like it should be the easiest poo poo ever, but I started bordering Huron and Iroquois and they ganged up with all the OPMs to brutally murder me lol.

I feel like if you're starting with a colonist you can't be bordering more than 1 or 2 people at the start or you will get wrecked by their superior native buildings + force limits.

EDIT: Out of Arabia or Egypt, which has the better map color?

Uhhhhhhh

The Ottomans please check your ledger.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I like how First Come First Serve sounds like it should be the easiest poo poo ever, but I started bordering Huron and Iroquois and they ganged up with all the OPMs to brutally murder me lol.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I feel like if you're starting with a colonist you can't be bordering more than 1 or 2 people at the start or you will get wrecked by their superior native buildings + force limits.

EDIT: Out of Arabia or Egypt, which has the better map color?

Yeah you have to be a little careful at the very beginning, your mil tech 3 has the same tactics as their 1. Once you hit the tactics at 4, 6, and 7 you can increasingly just roll over natives. If you think about it, tech 7 is when Europeans would normally be running into natives anyway.

IMO the best New World start is right by the Aztec thunderdome blob. The mountain provinces in northern Mexico have a high chance of spawning gold and there are 5 gold provinces there by default so you can massively bootstrap your early economy to fuel colonization (watch inflation tho). There's a decent amount of land there you can conquer to supplement colonization. Very importantly you are in the North American continent but have relatively little distance to snake down the isthmus to South America. That way you can easily push into South America without sprouting colonial nations. edit: this means you can have all of North (including Caribbean) and South (excluding the couple tiny islands) America non-overseas and full benefit.

It's a very easy starting location, just remember until you hit mil tech 4 you're on fairly equal footing to the native armies. With all the cash from gold you can afford rapid colonization and enough heavies to tell the Euros to gently caress off whenever you want (always). It's pretty easy to see how America is the world's only superpower: decent size navy and you're the only real player in the New World so untouchable.

Also, I have yet to verify but it looks like you might be able to pass the Nahuatl reforms as a Western tech Nahuatl nation, without a Doom counter. I didn't bother trying to vassalize five of the Mesoamerican natives to test it, I'll vassalize some Euros and see what happens.

But man, the 10% morale, -2 RR from Nahuatl plus the reform bonuses of -0.05 monthly WE, 5% Discipline, +1 Colonist, +1 diplomatic relations, and -20% stab cost? :allears:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 3, 2015

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Did they change/make it impossible to cut off Africa/Asia as the ottomans? I'm trying to core the eastern province of tabarestan while having cut off Persia with a vassal Iraq up to the left province (Gilan) and I only get a "this is too far to core" message.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Castille and Aragon are marching around with 35-40k Exiled troops trying to fight the Ottomans, this is funny. At least they're draining everyone's manpower?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
By the way if you compare Gold to other trade goods, it effectively has a price of 40 ducats. One point of development (=0.2 goods produced) in a gold province is 0.66/mo income, modified by Goods Produced bonuses but not by Production.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

By the way if you compare Gold to other trade goods, it effectively has a price of 40 ducats. One point of development (=0.2 goods produced) in a gold province is 0.66/mo income, modified by Goods Produced bonuses but not by Production.

Not taking into account inflation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vicar posted:

Has anyone figured out a workaround to the bug where two armies bug out and keep walking in loops? My allies in a war just decided to do nothing but move their armies back and forth between two provinces and it's making this war kinda hard. I tried enabling "attach to this army" on one of my armies but it didn't help.

I had vassals doing it, and I just had to go into the subject military window and fiddle with their setting I think. Barring that, reload. I think they were both trying to attach to each other, but were getting locked into the movement into the province where the other one was, and so could never succeed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Pellisworth posted:

IMO the best New World start is right by the Aztec thunderdome blob.

Yeah this is where I started for my For Odin+First Come First Serve run and it's been an absolute cakewalk. Waited until I got tech 4 for the tactics advantage, picked off a nation that managed to lose the alliance musical chairs and were just by themselves, then picked apart the two major alliances that formed when they went to war with each other by backstabbing the stronger one and crippling them.

Looking forward to the Europeans making their way to South America so I can bully them with my navy and constantly steal all their colonial nations for free.

e: Also if you really want to cheese it then you can pick 5 provinces that aren't colonized yet to form your custom nation and just restart until you get a couple of gold ones. That'll give you enough money to just drown your neighbors in mercenaries.

VDay fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 3, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How do you use the achievement viewer? I can't find the button for it.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
It's in the top right next to the pause/speed buttons.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Drone posted:

So I kinda don't care for estates.

This is my initial impression and I hope it changes as I play the game longer. I absolutely loving loathe giving my provinces minimum local autonomy, even if the bonus from the estate makes up for it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Node posted:

This is my initial impression and I hope it changes as I play the game longer. I absolutely loving loathe giving my provinces minimum local autonomy, even if the bonus from the estate makes up for it.

I really like them. Being able to drain tons of monarch points and getting stuff like +1 papal influence is great.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

I really like them. Being able to drain tons of monarch points and getting stuff like +1 papal influence is great.

Yeah it took me a bit to figure out the system but it's not too bad. You have on-demand cash, monarch points, or other bonuses you just have to watch their Influence.

There are a lot of events that change influence and loyalty so I've mostly been playing the estates pretty conservatively. Don't really want to risk pushing Influence too high and getting lovely disasters.

Edit: keep Loyalty above 30 and Influence below 80 and you're golden.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Scrree posted:

I formed Russia as Muscovy and it un-ironmaned my save. First it said achievements disabled because "This save was meant to be playing Muscovy." and then after I reloaded it simply claimed I edited save or borrowed it from someone else.

If I use cloud saves will I be more reliably able to actually complete do Ironman runs, or is the game randomly locking you out of achievements just a thing to be dealt with?

Same thing happened to me and prevented me from getting the achievement for forming Germany. And I had been procrastinating my work specifically to get that achievement, so now I feel like I've doubly wasted time :smith:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Koramei posted:

And has anyone managed to complete a circumnavigation since the patch? I've tried it twice now and both times my ships get stuck off the coast of West Africa.

Yup, I somehow just got first circumnavigation as Japan.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hey, playing as a Jurchen isn't "hit unpause and despair at the other guy allying Oirat and Korea" anymore.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I've been messing around with observe mode. Why does the AI randomly disband 3/4 of their men every now and then? They are not disbanding mercs. I've tagged onto them to check. They are just dropping their men for what seems like no reason whatsoever and rebuilding new ones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Estates are great because if you don't want to deal with the headache you can just give them the bare minimum number of provinces they want and call it a day. But you can get some really nice bonuses for dealing with them.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I have a fantastic idea with estates that I can't wait to test out.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Is there a viable exodus strat for the Knights in the current cycle? I'm really feeling theocracies right now and looking for a real challenge.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Guildencrantz posted:

Is there a viable exodus strat for the Knights in the current cycle? I'm really feeling theocracies right now and looking for a real challenge.

Didn't they loosen the requirements on converting to a Theocracy so you can do it with any number of provinces?

Might be fun to try that

Edit: also the custom nation achievements are pretty cool and fun so you could do a custom Theocracy

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 3, 2015

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Uh, neat.

Like the ideas behind this expansion but they've clearly slipped back into some old release habits. AI seems to go dippy during wartime. Also a little unclear how to resolve estate influence issues when they start to become a problem. Remove territory from them seems to crater their loyalty for very little return in an influence drop.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tercio posted:

Uh, neat.

Like the ideas behind this expansion but they've clearly slipped back into some old release habits. AI seems to go dippy during wartime. Also a little unclear how to resolve estate influence issues when they start to become a problem. Remove territory from them seems to crater their loyalty for very little return in an influence drop.

All the big dlcs have had bugs after their release. It's not ideal but it's a little far to say that these are on par with Ye Olde Paradoxe.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Fuligin posted:

All the big dlcs have had bugs after their release. It's not ideal but it's a little far to say that these are on par with Ye Olde Paradoxe.

I said "some", I didn't say the world was on fire.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love the Threaten War function. No longer will I be denied by some piddling fool who allied one of my friends.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tercio posted:

I said "some", I didn't say the world was on fire.

I remember when India became unplayable in CK2 for a bit because of infinite rebels. :allears:

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Tercio posted:

Well removing some territory does remove specifically the influence that territory grants, which makes perfect sense, even though that's usually a small number. Also, estates getting uproariously pissed off if you take the slightest thing from them also makes perfect sense.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Tercio posted:

Uh, neat.

baden finally conquered tirol and are going so wild with that production development that their courtiers have started adding ducats to their name to flaunt that wealth

Also, yeah, not seeing any particularly clear ways to manage influence. Removing land only drops their influence by about 3%, even if that province was a very well developed one. Events can give you a chance to raise or lower it, but that is something beyond your control. I feel like there should be a way to spend a large amount of some form of currency (depending on the estate it could be money, legitimacy equivalent, a chunk of whatever your faith is based off of, manpower, etc.) as some sort of 'this event really screwed me' nuclear option. Like getting the clergy down as a Muslim might totally tank your piety back to 0%, or getting the nobles down might spend 30 legitimacy for enforcing tyrannical policy which limits their influence. It should be a very expensive transaction though, to encourage smart planning and stop the player from just abusing it to be always 60% loyalty and influence.

I am seeing way too many AI nations just covered in rebels because they are doing a poor job of managing influence. I'm used to seeing Timmy, Lithuania, or Hungary covered in rebels of all flavours. But France? Ottomans? Muscovy? In my observer game, I saw all three explode into noble or religious (outside of reformation times, and not Lollard) rebels because of their estates. It doesn't feel quite right currently. Portugal died because they got covered in Catholic rebs in something like 1480. Granada came back from the dead 2 times because Castile could not manage their estates and just kept blowing up into multiple rebels stacks which were all the size of their FL. These are nations that are supposed to have some clout. But they are repeatedly getting their face kicked in because they can't quite cope with the new mechanic right now.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 3, 2015

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Forts are nice and boogered up too when a bordering enemy fort prevents me from moving within my own state.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tercio posted:

Forts are nice and boogered up too when a bordering enemy fort prevents me from moving within my own state.

Reload. I've had that happen.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Reload. I've had that happen.

Just tried that. No dice.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tercio posted:

Just tried that. No dice.

:paradox:

Guess that's what we get for buying on launch day!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just had a 14 year regency, followed by a 13 year regency as soon as that king died.

Come the gently caress on. I would kill for a loving 1/1/1 or anything so I could go to war.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:paradox:

Guess that's what we get for buying on launch day!

Truly.

I'll keep doing it, because I can't think of a company that's earned my loyalty more than Paradox.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

I just had a 14 year regency, followed by a 13 year regency as soon as that king died.

Come the gently caress on. I would kill for a loving 1/1/1 or anything so I could go to war.

Kind of wish they'd get rid of that restriction. Make it so you take a stability hit for declaring war during a regency, but completely barring you from it for up to 15 years is ridiculous.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

One downside of nations now picking "appropriate" idea sets instead of having set historical ones is that now Aragon seems to join the Iberian colonialism party.

Goddamit.
Haven't had a chance to play since update, but isn't that a good thing (for Castille)? Subjects making colonies for you, and all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Epinephrine posted:

Haven't had a chance to play since update, but isn't that a good thing (for Castille)? Subjects making colonies for you, and all.

It might be a mixed bag for Castile since if Aragon grows by 10+ provinces from the start they're no longer able to be inherited by decision (to prevent abuse of feeding the lesser union then inheriting them for completely free).

I'm not sure if colonies count for that

Edit: actually you'd probably be just fine because Aragon should create their own subordinate CNs and it's unlikely they'd colonize 10 non-CN provinces. So as a player it's probably a net gain.

It's just mildly irritating as any non-Iberian colonizer because gently caress those guys.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 3, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Tercio posted:

1.14 changelog posted:

- Forts now have ZOC over any country's provinces (but only flip your own) meaning they can block enemy movement through friendly & neutral land. Movement through a country's own provinces cannot be blocked if a fort from that country is protecting those provinces.
Thats how its supposed to work now.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I built the great mountain chain of Level 8 forts two deep across the mountains of northern Italy--all garrisoned--and Austria and all its allies are walking across them like they're escalators with armies of any size they please.

This is putting a slight crimp in my war against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Does anyone have a good explanation of how Estate's function?

• Locked thread