Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is the first time I've ever seen Dragon's Dogma running at above 20-ish fps and it looks great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

paco650 posted:

I don't know, but hopefully it's as easy as sticking Arisen.sav into a different folder.

The save files on Console are all in plain text. I'd imagine it'd be just as easy and then some.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Lunethex posted:

The save files on Console are all in plain text. I'd imagine it'd be just as easy and then some.

If that's still true in the PC release then downloaded pawns are going to get really interesting.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

If that's still true in the PC release then downloaded pawns are going to get really interesting.

Yeah you can mod any pawn, but it will only be for your instance of that pawn, it won't change it for the owner.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 29, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Some minor failsafes were eventually added on consoles. Things like hybrid classes, which could crash other people's games, would be 'barred' from upload to the nexus (I think it would upload, but would never actually disseminate to other players). Maybe some for stat modifications, like pawns with 5000 base strength, but you'll still probably find things like pawns with 1000 base in every stat.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I think pawn fuckery was one of the earliest excuses they gave for not going on PC, fear that players would break or exploit the system in various ways, but really who cares.

E - I guess if you had PC folks doing that and mingling with console folks on a big new release it'd be a thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'd imagine the pawn system will be gloriously messed up. Sure, custom skins wouldn't work but you could probably adjust things for ridiculous values and create nightmare companions. Regardless, it's pretty awesome that PC-only people will finally find out that wolves hunt in packs!

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I'm going to buy this game regardless of whether I play it, simply for the fact that I want another Dragon's Dogma and not just a freemium "Deep Down". Also, I do not know why Capcom continues to keep MonHun from PS3/PS4/PC. They could be making so much money.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

lmao

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

To be honest though, the early Deep Down gameplay stuff looked really interesting, and would probably make a good game if there was no cash shop/addons available, and the content was varied enough. It was similar in tone and gameplay to King's Field, but multiplayer. Between pachinko, early access alphas/betas, DLCs, and freemium cash shops, video games don't stand a chance.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 2, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A would pay a stupid amount of dollars for monster hunter on PC or PS4.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Good news, monster hunter frontier is (kind of) free

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

CountingWizard posted:

Also, I do not know why Capcom continues to keep MonHun from PS3/PS4/PC. They could be making so much money.
They are updating a PS2 game and it sells 4 million copies. They are already making so much money.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I would pay a stupid amount of dollars for a new King's Field game.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:gonk:

It looks...wrong with a good framerate somehow. I don't know exactly what it is but stuff like the running animation looks hella off, almost like the entire game is just played in fast motion slightly.

Like I know yeah that's the point it's at a higher fps and I don't know why I didn't expect this but I've been trying to get the last few trophies I needed for platinum recently and this video is so loving jarring it hurts.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

CountingWizard posted:

I'm going to buy this game regardless of whether I play it, simply for the fact that I want another Dragon's Dogma and not just a freemium "Deep Down". Also, I do not know why Capcom continues to keep MonHun from PS3/PS4/PC. They could be making so much money.

Nintendo gives them a a lot of money for it.

And they don't actually need to generate assets much more complex than they had when they were making em for 360/pc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm so hyped for this, even though I played the PS3 version to death. This game is just pure, distilled fun.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

It looks...wrong with a good framerate somehow. I don't know exactly what it is but stuff like the running animation looks hella off, almost like the entire game is just played in fast motion slightly.

Like I know yeah that's the point it's at a higher fps and I don't know why I didn't expect this but I've been trying to get the last few trophies I needed for platinum recently and this video is so loving jarring it hurts.
The term you're looking for is 'cinematic'! The original looked more 'cinematic'. :v:
But really, it's because you're so used to seeing DD at low framerates that your mind is already accustomed to 'filling in the blanks'. Another way to think of it is that after XXX hours, your brain is so acclimated to visual updates at 1/30th of a second, that when it starts getting updates at 1/60th, the perceived effect is things running in fast motion. Actually playing the game should moderate this, since your input through the controller will still occurring at expected time frames.

If you're a passive observer the effect can persist for a long time, but when you actually start playing the game it should clear up in a matter of minutes. At least as far as the 'fast motion' thing is concerned. You will probably still have the 'soap opera' effect for a good while.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 3, 2015

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Kiggles posted:

The term you're looking for is 'cinematic'! The original looked more 'cinematic'. :v:
But really, it's because you're so used to seeing DD at low framerates that your mind is already accustomed to 'filling in the blanks'. Another way to think of it is that after XXX hours, your brain is so acclimated to visual updates at 1/30th of a second, that when it starts getting updates at 1/60th, the perceived effect is things running in fast motion. Actually playing the game should moderate this, since your input through the controller will still occurring at expected time frames.

If you're a passive observer the effect can persist for a long time, but when you actually start playing the game it should clear up in a matter of minutes. At least as far as the 'fast motion' thing is concerned. You will probably still have the 'soap opera' effect for a good while.

The human brain is so weird

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have nothing of worth to add except that I will be getting this day one , preorder etc. Also hoping for a mod that'll make it utterly difficult

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

I have nothing of worth to add except that I will be getting this day one , preorder etc. Also hoping for a mod that'll make it utterly difficult

Maybe they'll rebalance hard mode to not be bad.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wrist Watch posted:

After hrs in the game you get used to when poo poo's going to slow down, you acclimate & learn to enjoy how the world just freezes a few moments before your sorcerer summons those asteroids, or the warrior before a huge attack. Everything stuttering & slowing down before epic poo poo went down, somehow added to the ungainly charm (for me). This game running smooth in heavy combat will be an adjustment.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

After hrs in the game you get used to when poo poo's going to slow down, you acclimate & learn to enjoy how the world just freezes a few moments before your sorcerer summons those asteroids, or the warrior before a huge attack. Everything stuttering & slowing down before epic poo poo went down, somehow added to the ungainly charm (for me). This game running smooth in heavy combat will be an adjustment.

Mystic Knight full moon slashing three great cannons.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mad Dragon posted:

Mystic Knight full moon slashing three great cannons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgp-eaUH28

Yeaaaaah Bout a minute 10 or so in

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dexo posted:

... Bout a minute 10 or so in
And this reminds me why I am excited to give MK another shot on PC. gently caress their self buffs. Just going to cheat engine the duration to effectively make them toggles.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dexo posted:

It's going to be amazing to see poo poo like this at a framerate above 2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

It's going to be suck to see poo poo like this at a framerate above 2.

ftfy

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

1:00 to 1:40 gently caress ur Exequy death boy.

Will this feel as good at so many more fps :ohdear:

Who cares, at least the IP has a life line now.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
loving hell, that framerate. Just linked a friend of mine who loves the game as much as me that youtube but only has an assy old Mac. An hour later he told me told me he's finally getting that PC he's been considering for a while.

The one mod I'm really hoping for is that someone puts the propper menu music back in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5UI912U5A

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder how well optimized the game. Considering it's a last-gen game and the visuals seem to be the same aside from some higher res textures, I hope I'll be able to hit 720p60 on my decent-ish laptop.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A preview with in game footage. To bad it's in moonspeak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_5APdUy7_8

Options are looking good.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Thankfully it's in Krautian.

Good assortment of settings. Not hugely exhaustive, but there's even a field of view option on there. It doesn't really list what the view angle is. Looks like it will only add about 15 degrees (not even a big deal, being a 3rd person game) but still very nice for a console port.

Guessing only FXAA, rather than multisampling, but these days, I'm gonna go ahead and say... meh. Anyone with power to spare for AA can just as soon enable DSR to supersample, and anyone who can't, often have trouble with even shader based AA anyway. Which really only leaves the absolute bleeding edge of stacked high resolutions with multi-sampling. SMAA would have been nice, but at least there are some scaled FXAA options in there, instead of the "AA = on" option that we see a lot.

Given the options, it may even facilitate playing on the weakest of potatoes, and still optionally let people who would have been happy to sacrifice the PS360 visual quality for better framerate.

Shadow/Object/NPC/Grass stepping. Even dof toggle.

All in all, that's better than I was expecting from an otherwise niche game that everyone thought was dead in the water. Not bad at all, and a solid option set for modern PC game generally. The AA options are probably the only negative.

All assuming things like the quality steppings mentioned are worth a drat. If we're talking console draw distance as the max for those settings... well. The video does explicitly demonstrate some pop-in, even at max settings. Particularly with trees. Some of it seems farther than console, but probably better reigning expectations. So all in all a "Good PC Port", rather than "Three Year Late Definitive Edition". Pretty much best case the lot of us were hoping for. So good news.

Oh, and menus can be navigated with mouse, so it doesn't have the MGSV-itis.

I think that covers it for everyone who is reading internet forums but can't watch videos because they're supposed to be working.

vv Finish the cycle of the eternal return.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 3, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I would like a console port of this pc port tia capcom

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Maybe they'll rebalance hard mode to not be bad.

Wouldn't that be nice?

I'd also like a true NG+ mode. While you can obviously restart with the same character on hard mode and keep going, it doesn't really do much to up the difficulty to match your power level at that point. I mean, poo poo, the max level is 200, and by the time you're 100+ even hard mode Bitterblack Isle can't really stand up to you anymore. I'd love an NG+ mode that just starts out balanced around a level 125/150 character and goes up from there. I'm the sort of nerd who'll probably intentionally level up in all the right classes to have good stats for Mystic Knight/Magick Archer by the end and I'd really like to have something to actually do with that character once I get there.

Obviously the sane thing to do is "don't do that," but it's fun to do that so hey. I get to play as every class I want to as I go :v:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Whatever stuff people want that doesn't come with the port will probably end up modded in eventually.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A really nice mod would be one which changes the encounters for the entire world once you break it, rather than just the road to Gran Soren and the surrounding area. I want endgame hell encounters everywhere!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Mods for hordes of enemies in their respective areas is what I need most.

And then, most definitely, a mod to add a second skill menu to the Warrior like the Sorcerer & Mage have, so the class can front 6 skills and be viable in more encounters.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Texture replacements and putting "Flying Into Free" back in doesn't sound too hard, though I don't really know how you could use something like hex editing to change enemy encounters.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 3, 2015

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Destructoid has a small preview covering the performance of the game. It supposedly runs really bloody well. Also of not is the fact that it has a photo mode that sounds simmilar to the ones in Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor. poo poo is gonna own.
http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-s-dogma-runs-wonderfully-on-pc-323834.phtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

A shame, really. I sincerely hope that something is possible because the #1 thing I want to see is changes to encounters. Randomized encounters first off, but also things like 10x goblin spawns would be perfect. I want to cut through armies of the little fuckers at glorious 60fps

• Locked thread