Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In general, Abbott and his chief of staff, Peta Credlin, left Turnbull alone to conduct his portfolio. There were, however, some differences of opinion.

For instance, Abbott wanted to crack down on copyright piracy by individuals, so-called "bedroom downloaders".

At the moment if a movie studio wants to take action against someone downloading a pirated movie to watch at home, it can take her to a civil court and ask a judge to award damages.

But Abbott, at the urging of the movie industry, wanted to make it an offence punishable by a fine. He likened it to a parking ticket, with a fine of perhaps $20 or $30 for repeat offenders. It would make it faster and easier for the movie and music industries to act against ordinary people.

The proposal went to the communications minister. Turnbull thought it would be politically explosive. He resisted and the idea quietly died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sounds like Tony had a lot of lobbyists.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Fix the revenue problem by taking back the youth allowance money $20-30 at a time. Genius

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

iajanus posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a particularly good compromise.

We don't entirely know how the compromise went. Sure, it's not the compromise we'd want, it's probably not the compromise they wanted either. But it's the best they could get, and it's better than nothing.

I don't want them to slide to the right either, but I don't think this is that. I think this is just them trying to get lovely people to pass non-lovely legislation.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Well this is interesting. AFR:

quote:

At least two more federal Liberal MPs are considering following former Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane and defect to the Nationals.

The Nationals will be holding a party room meeting at 3.30pm Thursday to accept Mr Macfarlane and sources have told The Australian Financial Review two more have made contact and are seriously contemplating joining him. They have until the meeting to make up their minds.

One is understood to be Queenslander Scott Buchholz who lost his job as party Whip when Tony Abbott was rolled. The other MP is understood to be from outside Queensland. Speculation surrounds Northern Territory Country Liberal MP Natasha Griggs.

Earlier today, Mr Macfarlane defected to the Nationals in a shock move which could see him return to the ministry and even take a leadership position in his new party.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Bowen and Leigh said the deal will "help Australia's richest companies keep their tax dealings secret"

which is wrong, just fuckin lol

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Les Affaires posted:

Well this is interesting. AFR:

what happened to change from within?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

All three divisions defecting are rural, so if this is just a further defining of the role both parties play in parliament then so be it. It will only really matter if the two parties start disagreeing on major policies to the point that the coalition becomes unworkable, then poo poo will really start flying.

Also this ultimately gives the leader of the nats more negotiation power when amending policy proposals.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Queenslanders are dumb
Hurf durf let's join Katters Australia party

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The KAP have been semi interesting in QLD parliament. They really want more ethanol fuel.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Anidav posted:

Malcolm Turnbull is the Nintendo Wii U of Prime Ministers. Yells innovation from the mountaintops while mostly being the same as his predecessor on the inside.

ftfy

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Just a reminder that when the Nats in WA pressed the coalition they got the Royalties for Regions programme, which syphons out 25% of all royalties towards funding services and infrastructure in regional WA.

If the feds wanted to, they could do something similar just by threatening to break up the band.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

Just a reminder that when the Nats in WA pressed the coalition they got the Royalties for Regions programme, which syphons out 25% of all royalties towards funding services and infrastructure in regional WA.

If the feds wanted to, they could do something similar just by threatening to break up the band.

Which has been thoroughly rorted by the Libs. RforR is supposed to be for stuff above and beyond normal government spending on its citizens. Now, poo poo that should come out of general revenue like hospitals and parks gets paid for by RforR, and its trumpeted as a great bonus for the recipient. Also, I have driven past buildings in the outer suburbs of Perth that was funded by it as well.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah I've spoken to a few public servants who describe some of the huge white elephants being built out in the regions, buildings that are brand new that go unused because the community has little need for them.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The federal national party has a formal coalition arrangement which WA doesn't, so Brendan Grylls could threaten to support Labor and give them government in the hung parliament. He had all of the leverage. Also, WA actually had royalty income at that point. The federal government doesn't get minerals royalties so it would just be ringfencing some other source of funds, which everyone hates.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Defections hardly matter really, they're still part of the same lovely government. Until the Mats actually start doing something other than being self-serving yes-men, nothing of any real consequence will change.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The Romans had a similar programme called Loyalties for Legions...

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah I've spoken to a few public servants who describe some of the huge white elephants being built out in the regions, buildings that are brand new that go unused because the community has little need for them.

Who would have thought that taking money out of consolidated revenue where it is allocated through the normal budget process according to need, and giving it to projects without regard to merit simply because it's a regional project is a bad idea??

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

Which has been thoroughly rorted by the Libs. RforR is supposed to be for stuff above and beyond normal government spending on its citizens. Now, poo poo that should come out of general revenue like hospitals and parks gets paid for by RforR, and its trumpeted as a great bonus for the recipient.

Not too smart are you

*takes a huge slice of the pie*

*Is confused when his share of the remaining pie ends up being less*

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cleretic posted:

We don't entirely know how the compromise went. Sure, it's not the compromise we'd want, it's probably not the compromise they wanted either. But it's the best they could get, and it's better than nothing.

I don't want them to slide to the right either, but I don't think this is that. I think this is just them trying to get lovely people to pass non-lovely legislation.

Having had more of a chance to read the information, I agree. I would like more info about the whole situation, though, to get a more rounded picture.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Some hot out, b'ys.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Wii U is Shorten. An obvious failure to anyone but the most die hard of Nintendo fans.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Since the removal of Tony Abbott it is the National Party with their 10 point agreement with Turnbull who now run the country.

It is not unreasonable to speculate and hope that a re-elected Turnbull to govern will have to have a similar agreement and hand the levers of power to the Nationals - without the Nationals the Liberal Party would become Labor in Point Piper drag.

Mr Macfarlane a gifted and capable politician may now become a beacon for many Liberals for whom the National Party is emerging as the conservatives natural home.

The Liberals by moving to the left have in effect become Australia's social democratic party and taken from the voters a choice they have had at the ballot box since the formation of the Liberal party.

Mr Macfarlane now has the opportunity to assist the Nationals and strengthen their resolve to consolidate their pivotal role in future governments.

It maybe that the Nationals attract more senior members of the Liberal Party well before the next election and in the process transform the Nationals into a truly national party and custodian of the Menzies ethos.

If this is the outcome the country will benefit, with perhaps voters having two new major parties: a Turnbull style Liberal Party, and a Menzies style National Party, with the Labor Party sidelined.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Since the removal of Tony Abbott it is the National Party with their 10 point agreement with Turnbull who now run the country.

It is not unreasonable to speculate and hope that a re-elected Turnbull to govern will have to have a similar agreement and hand the levers of power to the Nationals - without the Nationals the Liberal Party would become Labor in Point Piper drag.

Mr Macfarlane a gifted and capable politician may now become a beacon for many Liberals for whom the National Party is emerging as the conservatives natural home.

The Liberals by moving to the left have in effect become Australia's social democratic party and taken from the voters a choice they have had at the ballot box since the formation of the Liberal party.

Mr Macfarlane now has the opportunity to assist the Nationals and strengthen their resolve to consolidate their pivotal role in future governments.

It maybe that the Nationals attract more senior members of the Liberal Party well before the next election and in the process transform the Nationals into a truly national party and custodian of the Menzies ethos.

If this is the outcome the country will benefit, with perhaps voters having two new major parties: a Turnbull style Liberal Party, and a Menzies style National Party, with the Labor Party sidelined.

yeah okay who's this

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jumpingmanjim posted:

L O L

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 3, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah nah i already know from this very thread the nationals are dying because country people in their hearts want to vote for the greens

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Les Affaires posted:

yeah okay who's this

Macfarlane's mum

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Macfarlane's mum

Can't be. She calls him Chainsaw.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Sucking Mangs Hole posted:

Queen snubs Tony Abbott

After losing the prime ministership, Tony Abbott sought an audience with the Queen during his trip to London last month, but the request was declined.

Mr Abbott, Australia's most famous monarchist and a former executive director of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy, was told that the Queen's schedule would not permit a meeting although she was in London at the time.

Mr Abbott's unsuccessful bid is revealed in part 5 of Fairfax Media's Shirtfronted series on the life of the Abbott government.

It also reveals that, on his last day in power, three of Mr Abbott's cabinet ministers discussed going to see him together to tell him his time was up.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

Yeah nah i already know from this very thread the nationals are dying because country people in their hearts want to vote for the greens

Pretty sure every time this has ever been brought up itt everyone's acknowledged the huge inertia of generational rusted-on-ness of Nationals voters, but hoped that university educated young farmers might start to switch over due to the policies of the Greens actually being in their best interest. Not really the most ridiculous position.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Birb Katter posted:

Queen snubs Tony Abbott

Guess handing out that knighthood to her husband didn't buy him as many favours as he thought it would.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

What's this about?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Guess handing out that knighthood to her husband didn't buy him as many favours as he thought it would.

I read somewhere that tones actually wanted to make the Queen a Dame but was rejected by the royal palace and they suggested that he give a knighthood to philip. I can't remember if this was on the shovel or actually a thing.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Kevin Andrews, our not long gone defence minister has belched out some garbage on The Spectator.

In particular he makes praise of the novel Le Camp des Saints, a story of immigrants coming to Europe and destroying western civilization. And what sort of tone does this book have?

Wikipedia posted:

In 2001 the Southern Poverty Law Center described it as "widely revered by American white supremacists and is a sort of anti-immigration analog to The Turner Diaries,"

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/12/the-camp-of-the-saints-part-ii/

quote:

Forty years ago, the French author, Jean Raspail, wrote a confronting novel about a third world invasion of Europe.

His chilling book, Le Camp des Saints (The Camp of the Saints), tells the story of a motley armada of clapped-out vessels transporting hundreds of thousands of people from the Ganges, via the African Cape, eventually landing in Southern France. Their journey presages the overturn of western civilization.

Dismissed as bizarre, far-fetched and racist by the political, media and academic elite that Raspail criticised, his novel was consigned to the dustbin of eccentric curiosities by the literary establishment.

How could Europe be invaded: we, with our superior technology and advanced way of life?

Fast-forward four decades and Europe has been invaded. By unarmed thousands, sailing by boat, and then trekking across borders. Raspail’s title could well describe the settlements that have sprung up across the continent.

The Camp of the Saints can be read as an allegory about Europe. Although the details differ, Raspail’s story sounds more like a parable now than the fictional tale by which it was dismissed.

Today the West is at war. The war has been declared many times: in New York, Madrid, London, Bali, and Paris, as well as in Sydney and Melbourne and numerous other places around the world. It is not a traditional war, but a war it is.

Some of the most ferocious and barbarous of the attacks have been on the home of liberté, égalité, fraternité.

Claim your gift
This is a direct assault on the culture of the West – its character, its values and its beliefs.

Words of obfuscation and appeasement are hollow. Politicians who continue to mouth platitudes while appearing to wring their hands are unworthy of the trust placed in them.

Yet many of the European elite subscribe to a caricature of their civilization – a multicultural, borderless world, welcoming of everyone, for whom any residual problems can be treated by a sanctimonious dose of post-Christian kumbuya.

The answer in Brussels to any problem is to prescribe more rules, more regulation and more process. None of this has prevented the Belgian capital becoming the breeding ground of terrorism in Europe.

Meanwhile, the foundations of Europe are cracking.

The birthrate in much of Europe has fallen to dangerously low levels. Without immigration, countries like Italy, Spain and Portugal will see their population halve each generation.

These low levels are almost impossible to recover. They have a significantly adverse impact on economic growth. And they create a demographic vacuum that others will seek to fill.

Europe is even losing the willingness to acknowledge its own history and culture.

A decade ago, the European nations could not agree to the recognition of their Christian heritage in a proposed constitution.

Most European nations could not defend themselves without considerable assistance from others. Even the once mighty United Kingdom struggles to expend 2 per cent of GDP on defence.

Is it any wonder that the nation that produced Michel Foucault, Jacques Derrida and the other deconstructionists, for whom shared meaning is an anathema, is now in the firing line from sections of an immigrant population that has a clear and contrary ideology?

While the final coup de grâce of a civilisation is delivered by external forces, it is the internal corrosion that makes it possible.

Unless Europe recovers a belief in the foundations of its own culture, a preparedness to articulate it, and a willingness to defend it, militarily when necessary, it is doomed to a gradual but inevitable decline.

Je suis Charlie? Je suis mort.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

fuckpot posted:

What's this about?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/30262639/kids-in-detention-sit-in-at-dutton-office/

quote:

Peaceful protesters say they won't move from outside Immigration Minister Peter Dutton's Brisbane office until the government releases all children from detention.
Multi-denominational Christian group Love Makes a Way is calling on the government to adopt Senate amendments to free all children from Australian detention centres.
"Minister Dutton can decide today to release all 112 children, including babies, currently in Australian detention centres and the 95 held on Nauru," Anglican priest Fr Nicholas Whereat said.
"Imagine what a Christmas present that would be."

It was disappointing the government had refused to openly communicate about the issue, forcing groups to adopt such protest measures, Anglican Dean of Brisbane Peter Catt said.
The group - which includes Anglican, Baptist, Catholic and Quaker members - wants mandatory reporting for abuse and broader media access to detention centres.
Greater protection for whistleblowers reporting abuse is also a priority.

Protesters on Thursday gathered outside Mr Dutton's Strathpine office brandishing signs reading "Jesus was an asylum seeker" and attacking Australia's "callous" policies.
It comes after six members were forcibly removed after camping out at Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's Edgecliff office.
The group intends to remain at the Immigration Minister's office, or outside, until children are released from detention.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pred1ct posted:

Kevin Andrews, our not long gone defence minister has belched out some garbage on The Spectator.

In particular he makes praise of the novel Le Camp des Saints, a story of immigrants coming to Europe and destroying western civilization. And what sort of tone does this book have?
He's not the only Australian conservative who likes the book (and again).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol. Lit a torch to try and flag passing vessels = deliberately burnt their own vessel

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pred1ct posted:

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/12/the-camp-of-the-saints-part-ii/

quote:

e birthrate in much of Europe has fallen to dangerously low levels. Without immigration, countries like Italy, Spain and Portugal will see their population halve each generation.

These low levels are almost impossible to recover. They have a significantly adverse impact on economic growth. And they create a demographic vacuum that others will seek to fill.

Holy poo poo this guy was our defence minister. This is insane. :psyduck:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Leader of the ACT Sex Party in a Facebook Post posted:

What a disgraceful last day for the Parliament of Australia.

The Greens bent over for the Libs which resulted in 600 companies, with revenue of between a $100 million and a $200 million, having their tax contributions hidden from public view. So much for transparency - they might as well join the coalition.

The Libs are protecting the minister responsible for governmental probity, the dishonourable Mal Brough, who has mislead and lied to the Parliament.

And Labor’s year of “big ideas” has ended with sweet FA except for a 40-buck pack of smokes.

The only significant achievement of this year’s parliament has been the removal of Australia’s worst Prime Minister… thus far.

A disgraceful day indicative of a decade wasted. Sweet FA. I’m going to the pub.

Points at a hill "why come they didn't stand and die there!", ignoring Di Natale spiking a football on the mountain behind him

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

who you should fight: Australian Prime Ministers edition

• Barton: You could fight Barton. He was pissed all the time anyway. Plus he was first so people will know who you’re talking about, but none of them will know enough to get angry at you for it.

• Deakin: He’ll come back like three times. You will get to walk past everything named after him like “Ha, kicked the poo poo out of him” though.

• Watson: He was PM for four months, why would you bother

• Reid: You could just roll him over, but be warned: he’ll have a Cutting Remark about it.

• Cook: I don’t know poo poo about Cook and neither do you.

• Fisher: See Deakin, but without the name recognition.

• Hughes: DO IT. FIGHT HUGHES. He’s evil, tiny, and the whole ALP will help you.

• Bruce: Just look at that smug little union-busting prick. You can take him.

• Scullin: Dude had two splits in his party at once in two different directions. Why would you make his life worse?

• Lyons: Don’t fight Lyons. He might die, and then Sir Earle Page and Dame Enid would kick your rear end.

• Page: Yeah, fight Page, I don’t think he’ll mind, just leave Lyons alone and it’ll be cool.

• Curtin: Beloved national hero who led this nation through World War Two while struggling with alcoholism before dying in office. Do you want the whole country to hate you?

• Forde: 8 days. Why?

• Chifley: Dude made a referendum in Australia pass. Don’t mess with him.

• Menzies: The entire Liberal party will come after you. Don’t.

• Holt: Have fun fighting underwater.

• McEwen: DO NOT FIGHT MCEWEN. Don’t be fooled by his being interim PM for like a month. He single-handedly stopped Holt’s obvious successor succeeding him. He created the protectionist policies for rural Australia for decades through sheer force of personality. DON’T FIGHT MCEWEN.

• Gorton: He survived crashing his jet, having his face torn to shreds and being left for dead in the middle of the Pacific. He’s a tenacious bugger. But just put Fraser in the room and he’ll be too consumed with rage to even notice you.

• McMahon: You could take McMahon. Anyone could take McMahon. You won’t be proving anything.

• Whitlam: Too bloody tall, also the entire Australian left will come after you in revenge.

• Fraser: He might not look tough and have that snooty voice, but dude was like 6′4″ and destroyed two Prime Ministers. Don’t take the risk.

• Hawke: You could fight Hawke. I mean you’d lose, but he’d definitely buy you a beer afterward. You’d also lose the subsequent drinking contest though.

• Keating: DON’T FIGHT KEATING. DO NOT FIGHT KEATING. I don’t care how skinny he is, he will play dirty, destroy you will psychological warfare, ‘do you slowly’ and probably come up with some insult people will still be quoting three decades later.

• Howard: Do it. Fight Howard. Tiny, evil, whole left will help (also Peter Costello).

• Rudd: Seems like an easy win until he devotes the rest of his life to destroying yours. Don’t fight Rudd.

• Gillard: Woman is tough. Best avoided.

• Abbott: Like, I wanna see Abbott get punched as much as anyone, but he was a prize-winning boxer. Let the Liberal caucus do it instead.

• Turnbull: Give it a go. Fucker’s gotta be bad at something, right?

• Locked thread