Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I feel like im in that thread on that bodybuilding forum where the guys argue over whether a week has 6 or 7 days in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

I feel like im in that thread on that bodybuilding forum where the guys argue over whether a week has 6 or 7 days in it

what. That happened?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

what. That happened?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751 the greatest thread of all time

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Meh. Okay. I've had a lot of homemade wine and no days off in two months, so I'll give you that one, I misread.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Oh hey a bunch of posts there must be some great discussion going--:stare:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Should I be using powdered sugar for simple? This syrup just turned into sludge and the sugar never completely dissolved.
Powdered sugar typically has a declumping agent mixed in. If you want a sugar that dissolves more easily, use baker's sugar, which is just plain sugar with super fine grains, and which dissolves so easily that you can just add it to the shaker with proportionate water directly rather than pre-mixing a bunch.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, okay. Didn't know that about powdered sugar. I guess baker's was what I was thinking of. If people are doing it with turbinado, though, that's not the problem.

Is the water supposed to come before the sugar in the ratio? Should I have put it 1:2 instead of 2:1?

I'm considering trying again over the weekend just to make myself feel better. I wouldn't really have much practical use for it, though.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

This is beautiful. :allears:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

goferchan posted:

Also honestly I think only a man would be capable of mucking up a simple syrup and I have too much respect for women to believe that one could

My female friend I am teaching cocktails to hosed it up. Trust me, they can and do.

(She put sugar in water. Didn't stir, didn't heat. Just sugar in water. Then complained her dacquiri was gritty)

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

That made me dumber.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it weird to use orange blossom water in a margarita? I like to reinforce the orange flavor by using some Triple Sec, orange bitters, and homemade orange peel syrup. I find Angostura Orange Bitters has more pure orange flavor than Regan's. So the former for margs, the latter for other stuff.

I realize the blossom water is kind of a different flavor, I happened to buy some and I haven't been using a lot of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My favourite thing I ever saw on that bodybuilding forum was the guy who said he only gets drunk on vodka and diet Pepsi because it has no calories.

I put blackcurrant jam in my last batch of grenadine, so put that in your syrup and shake it.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

My favourite thing I ever saw on that bodybuilding forum was the guy who said he only gets drunk on vodka and diet Pepsi because it has no calories.

I put blackcurrant jam in my last batch of grenadine, so put that in your syrup and shake it.

If it can be used to start a fire, chances are it has a pretty dense caloric value.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it weird to use orange blossom water in a margarita? I like to reinforce the orange flavor by using some Triple Sec, orange bitters, and homemade orange peel syrup. I find Angostura Orange Bitters has more pure orange flavor than Regan's. So the former for margs, the latter for other stuff.

I realize the blossom water is kind of a different flavor, I happened to buy some and I haven't been using a lot of it.

Wow, you really like oranges, eh?

Use OBW sparingly, it really overwhelms other flavors. You can do whatever you want, but neither OBW or bitters is standard in margaritas. Maybe try a different orange liqueur, what sort of triple sec are you using? Generic Triple sec tends to be cheap and not very flavorful, maybe try Merlet or Pierre Ferand Dry Curaçao.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Archenteron posted:

Read this too late to hit the liquor store, but was able to still act on this. We were almost out of cognac, but enough to make a 2-person batch of this. Oleo-saccharum was made, the lemon was on the sweet side, only had Meyers, but figured that Bermuda rum kick was still worth something. Beverage ended up smooth and delicious, though I'm ture the extra tartness and heavier funk would have truly completed it. Thanks Punchwizard.

Always happy to do my civic duty.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Does nobody else use a blender for simple syrup? 1:1 ratio, hit mix for 30 seconds, then pour it into a glass bottle for use. Super easy. I think Dave Arnold said he uses a blender and I tried it once and never looked back.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Don't really have a blender. I do it old fashioned style. Pot on stove and all.

Also, trying to figure out a good holiday drink for me and my friend getting together for our annual watching of the Star Wars Holiday Special. Needless to say, we need to be pretty drunk. Also, she hates thick drinks so eggnog and rum is straight out.

EDIT: Kenning, is there a two person punch?

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You could make mulled wine. And it should be pretty easy to make a bowl of punch with enough drinks for two people.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Mulled wine is generally excellent and really easy to make.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ralith posted:

Mulled wine is generally excellent and really easy to make.

Yeah, it's really great and everyone should really just make it more often.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mulled wine is a very good choice, but remember you can scale any punch recipe using the following formula:

<# people> × <drink per person> × 0.6 ÷ (ABV ÷ 100)

That will yield the amount of spirit to use. So for example, say you want to make a batch of Glasgow Punch for 2, and you're using Smith and Cross. I assume 3 drinks per person for people who drink with any regularity and who have nothing to do later. 2 drinks per person is better for a mixed group at, say, a work party. Therefore,

2 × 3 × 0.6 ÷ (57.5 ÷ 100)
2 × 3 × 0.6 ÷ 0.575
6 × 0.6 ÷ 0.575
3.6 ÷ .575
~6.25

This formula is in ounces, btw. Since a basic batch of Glasgow Punch calls for 10 oz. spirit, this is easy enough to scale. Just multiply all the other measurements by .625 (i.e. 62.5% of a regular batch). That leaves you with

6.25 oz. rum
2.5 oz. lemon juice
3.75 oz. sugar
1 lime (or so)
3.75 oz water to melt the sugar, and 10 oz. to finish the punch

And there you have it, perfectly scaled. If you're making a punch that uses wine or beer or whatever it can get more complicated, but honestly just rounding down a bit will usually make up for the extra alcohol from those components. I don't recommend trying to scale down punches that use multiple different spirits or several small ingredients (such as Boston Club, for example), since that's just effort wasted.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 13, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a name for a Moscow Mule that uses tequila instead?

Because if not, may I submit to ya'll the name 'Politburro'? :haw:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Mexican mule.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Mister Macys posted:

Secret Spoon posted:

Mexican mule.

What he said. The mule part refers to the ginger beer, you could have things like, say, an Edinburgh Mule for scotch and ginger beer, or a Tennessee/Kentucky Mule with bourbon. You'll also see the term buck used, as in a rum buck.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So mulled wine. Red wine in slow cooker add orange sliced cinnamon stick cloves and maybe a star anise or two? Run it on low for 4 hours?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That's the general idea. Goes well with a splash of amaretto in your cup, too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bit of raw sugar wouldn't be terrible either. You could also add in some brandy and flame it briefly to make it more fun. Mulled wine gets you sleepy as gently caress though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah I find Mulled Wine really needs something sweet thrown into it to make it great. On its own it's just 'fine'

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mister Macys posted:

Tijuana Mule Show :v:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Tijuana Mule Show :v:

Technically that's a double followed by shot of your choice of anejo.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

I don't care if it's correct I'm gonna steal that name at some point

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone have any suggestions for a good tin on tin boston shaker? I’ve just been using a standard glass with tin shaker, and the discussion last page about tin on tin makes me want a set like that.

Content: I’ve had a taste for absinthe, and am looking for more cocktails that use it. Lately I’ve tried out this recipe I found (somewhere? i forget) for a drink called the Sherman, which is basically a manhattan with orange bitters and a few dashes absinthe. The recipe calls to stir 2oz rye or bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 3 dashes absinthe, dash aromatic bitters and a dash of orange bitters, strain into cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist. I’ve been using bourbon since i haven’t got rye at the moment, and I found I actually enjoy upping it to a full 1/4 oz absinthe, since i just love the taste.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 1, 2015

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a good tin on tin boston shaker? I’ve just been using a standard glass with tin shaker, and the discussion last page about tin on tin makes me want a set like that.

The Cocktail Kingdom Koriko set is the standard best recommendation. There are definitely cheaper options, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Koriko stuff.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I continue my ill-advised forays into locally produced West African liquors:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I continue my ill-advised forays into locally produced West African liquors:

You do realize that most liquor made in west africa is flavored+colored gain alcohol right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

You do realize that most liquor made in west africa is flavored+colored gain alcohol right?

Look up his post history in this thread and you will learn he is probably well aware of the dubiousness of west african liquor. But u gotta take what u can get

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

Look up his post history in this thread and you will learn he is probably well aware of the dubiousness of west african liquor. But u gotta take what u can get

It took me a lot longer than 3 months of drinking it before I learned it was just artificially flavored grain alchohol. Maybe Liberia's liquors are different (Liberia and Sierra Leone in general are very different), but I doubt it :shrug:

Tap take some advice from someone who spent 3 years in WA: You really shouldn't drink the liquors they make there regularly. By all means, try them all and post the ones you do because it's fun, but they come from some nasty, shady places.
The bitters you mentioned from Ghana are generally fine and kind of neat from a history of liquor standpoint, and the beer is eh... beer. Learn to love it.

Edit: There is some stuff called "Cafe Rhum Whisky" which is pretty much Kahlua that is extremely palatable though, if you see it (it's made in india, as are most of the sachet-based liquors) apparently it is from Hong Kong and imported via india?.

Plus the logo, lmao:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 3, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lmao that rules

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Oh yeah, this "rhum" I bought yesterday (I assume "RCI" means "République de Côte d'Ivoire") full on appears to be grain alcohol with caramel coloring and pretty much tutti-frutti flavoring, basically tasting like bubblegum.

I've pretty much given up any expectation of WA liquor being properly drinkable, so I'm mostly buying these for like a buck a pop just to try out for the experience. One of my coworkers has been buying WA vodka from the corner shop on a more regular basis and hasn't gone blind yet, but then again she used to routinely buy local liquor in Sierra Leone (one of the few places in the world less developed than Liberia, which is saying something), and there they just sell grain alcohol in little sealed plastic baggies as though it were Canadian milk.

On the other hand, every Indian liquor I've tried here has been pretty drinkable; the bottle of $7 Napoleon brandy was serviceable. But yeah, now that we're actually generating some cashflow here, now that I'm back in town visiting I really want to get a bottle of proper Martinique rhum agricole from one of the top-end grocery stores here. I've been up in the bush the last month, and the bosses were kind enough to send me a small bottle of Johnny Walker, but other than that I've just been drinking palm wine (same stuff the Indians call "palm toddy", basically fermented tree juice). I've had professional/commercial/bottled palm wine before and it was quite good, the amateur/bush stuff is a little more hit-or-miss with some of it being a little off-tasting or sulfurous. You also have to gauge the strength by how sweet or dry it is (how much of its sugars have converted), so getting a really dry batch can get you stumbling far faster than expected.

quote:

someone who spent 3 years in WA

My condolences! I've been here not quite half a year, and while it's certainly been educational and I've had some good times, I've been pretty clear to my bosses that I will happily bounce to Southern Africa, South Asia, Oceania, or South America, wherever they feel like branching out to next, since I have no intent to spend more than a year in West Africa. Which is probably "famous last words"...

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 3, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fart Car '97 posted:

when you describe it like that it sounds WAY better than I was imagining tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Oh yeah, this "rhum" I bought yesterday (I assume "RCI" means "République de Côte d'Ivoire") full on appears to be grain alcohol with caramel coloring and pretty much tutti-frutti flavoring, basically tasting like bubblegum.

I've pretty much given up any expectation of WA liquor being properly drinkable, so I'm mostly buying these for like a buck a pop just to try out for the experience. One of my coworkers has been buying WA vodka from the corner shop on a more regular basis and hasn't gone blind yet, but then again she used to routinely buy local liquor in Sierra Leone (one of the few places in the world less developed than Liberia, which is saying something), and there they just sell grain alcohol in little sealed plastic baggies as though it were Canadian milk.

On the other hand, every Indian liquor I've tried here has been pretty drinkable; the bottle of $7 Napoleon brandy was serviceable. But yeah, now that we're actually generating some cashflow here, now that I'm back in town visiting I really want to get a bottle of proper Martinique rhum agricole from one of the top-end grocery stores here. I've been up in the bush the last month, and the bosses were kind enough to send me a small bottle of Johnny Walker, but other than that I've just been drinking palm wine (same stuff the Indians call "palm toddy", basically fermented tree juice). I've had professional/commercial/bottled palm wine before and it was quite good, the amateur/bush stuff is a little more hit-or-miss with some of it being a little off-tasting or sulfurous. You also have to gauge the strength by how sweet or dry it is (how much of its sugars have converted), so getting a really dry batch can get you stumbling far faster than expected.

My condolences! I've been here not quite half a year, and while it's certainly been educational and I've had some good times, I've been pretty clear to my bosses that I will happily bounce to Southern Africa, South Asia, Oceania, or South America, wherever they feel like branching out to next, since I have no intent to spend more than a year in West Africa. Which is probably "famous last words"...

I would (and did) drink lots of bush booze in my time there, and it's probably a lot safer than the liquor is.

As for condolences? No. WA is amazing, just not Liberia or Guinea. If possible, move to any other country there (Ghana preferably, if you want to drink well) and you'll have a much, much better time. I will live there again.