Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senf
Nov 12, 2006

zoux posted:

If this in fact doesn't have anything to do with his religion, a clear narrative is the last thing we're gonna have. What we're going to have is a brutal debate over whether Islam is inherently violent and are all Muslims dangerous.

Yep. Even if authorities find no evidence that shows his religion had something to do with the shooting, media outlets will still spew a bunch of poo poo about how "Islam is inherently violent, so because he followed it, it was the cause" blah blah blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Epic High Five posted:

#PrayerShaming lmao

Was Daily News the one that ran a picture of the reporter being shot from the shooter's point of view?

James 2:17 & James 4:17

assholes should know their own gospel before complaining about "prayer shaming" here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The NAACP has filed suit against Alabama's voter ID law.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bullfrog posted:

So how do you guys deal with Islamophobic friends, acquaintances (or even worse) family? I feel like we need to start pushing back HARD on people like that, even on the internet.

The accomplices are easily the most confusing part about this. Maybe there's some personal vendetta which includes family? The fact that they were so well-armed is strange too, or maybe not since this is America.

Depends how you push back. a decent amount of people victim blamed charlie hebdo when the shooting happend, which did the left no favors.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grouchio posted:

If these shooters worked for ISIS, would this doom the Democrats election?

I'd say it might paradoxically help them. Assuming Trump gets a boost from this and becomes the nominee, Democrats should have an easier time beating him than his counterparts.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Well there's some good news, I guess

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey guys, Fox News found a Southern California law enforcement pro to comment on this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Necc0 posted:

Well there's some good news, I guess

If they win.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Hey guys, Fox News found a Southern California law enforcement pro to comment on this.

What the gently caress?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

This probably isn't the place to ask, but was there any discussion of that piece in The Atlantic on ISIS that claimed that their interpretation of Islam isn't objectively heretical, it's just that the sane Muslims have accepted that they don't live 1400 years ago in the same way Christians generally don't take the sillier parts of the Bible all that seriously? Since we're sort of on to Islamophobia it seems quasi-relevant, and I imagine some of you have opinions and sources I could follow up with.

Or just tell me where to ask about it if this is too far afield.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

What the gently caress?

If there's one guy who knows how badly basic human decency like 'don't be a racist' can gently caress up a case it's him!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

are you like, praying that this isn't islamic terror?

Well I was mostly referring to this http://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/9822452/muslim-islamophobia-trump

JT Jag posted:

How do you plan to do this? More people on the Internet are probably Islamophobic than not.

Not sure. But a big part of changing people's behavior is to make them feel like they're acting outside of social norms. On the internet, the norm is racism. Maybe more liberals need to touch the poop?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Senf posted:

Yep. Even if authorities find no evidence that shows his religion had something to do with the shooting, media outlets will still spew a bunch of poo poo about how "Islam is inherently violent, so because he followed it, it was the cause" blah blah blah.

Why'd this terrorist shoot up a christmas party, if religion had no connection?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

There's no way the way they've been loving with DMV/ID locations will stand up to the smallest amount of scrutiny in a federal court. They didn't even try to be subtle about it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Joementum posted:

Was Zimmerman too busy? Or do they limit his commentary to #BLM events?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The crisis actors are among us.

:doh:

There's no such thing as reality with these people.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

WOW

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

EvanSchenck posted:

If it was a terrorist action, why did he choose to attack his own office party full of San Bernardino County bureaucrats? They could have gotten in the car and been at any of a dozen LA-area tourist spots in under two hours. Disneyland, for example. Had they done this last Friday at almost any mall, they would have killed scores more people and put the whole USA in a panic for a month. Conversely, if it was just a workplace thing, how did he get accomplices to join in?

I doubt this will make any more sense tomorrow, but I'm hoping for at least a minimally coherent narrative.

It could be a workplace shooting inspired by radicalism like Nidal Hasan. The accomplices are what make it weird but I guess they were just down with whatever so long as they got to kill people.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Well that police execution video is one way to learn you haven't be desensitized to violence. What a fun day this has been.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OAquinas posted:

Was Zimmerman too busy? Or do they limit his commentary to #BLM events?

Like if you're compiling a list of worst possible people to comment on this, Furhman has to be at the top, right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Joementum posted:

who is Fuhrman?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The CAIR presser is live, god help us.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
CAIR conference is starting, for real now.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who is Fuhrman?

Racist OJ Murder Trial cop

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SpecialK2 posted:

Racist OJ Murder Trial cop

oh jesus. Fox has to dig the bottom of barrel.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

site posted:

I guess this is a good time to ask: just a day or two ago yall were talking about a book about workplace violence that had "postal"in the title. Anyone remember what it was and who the author is?

Going Postal by Mark Ames

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why'd this terrorist shoot up a christmas party, if religion had no connection?

Are you even a real person

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

This appears to be just a collection of muslim community leaders speaking in no uncertain terms that they condemn these shootings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It sucks CAIR has to do this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Senf posted:

thankfully he is not

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Senf posted:

no. stop replying. it's not difficult.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

is the brother in law wearing Kojima glasses?

zoux posted:

It sucks CAIR has to do this.

indeed.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Republicans posted:

It could be a workplace shooting inspired by radicalism like Nidal Hasan. The accomplices are what make it weird but I guess they were just down with whatever so long as they got to kill people.

Haha what, this is the worst thing to compare this to.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Come on, USPol, cheer up, you guys were so much more positive and snarky when you thought it was white right wing guys.

Well yeah, because right wing guys never suffer any consequences from being linked ideologically to mass murderers.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

They're just loving grilling his brother. They don't give a gently caress if he knows nothing or not.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

On Terra Firma posted:

They're just loving grilling his brother. They don't give a gently caress if he knows nothing or not.
Brother in law, but yeah

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

That can't possibly be the Furhman I think it is.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

On Terra Firma posted:

vultures

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Reverend Doctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That can't possibly be the Furhman I think it is.

yep it is.

• Locked thread