Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So virtually bobbing for REAL apples. This is definitely something Star Citizen should add in one of their next stretch goals.

Yup bona fide fuckin apples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

The room is 64bit, the tank is 32bit and the bowl is the ship grid.

What bowl?
Don't confuse matters man

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Loiosh posted:

So, global positional space, all ships and players that are not inside of other objects, are 64-bit precision. All local spaces, which are the interiors of ships and stations, are 32-bit precision. Space around stations and ships, is 64-bit precision, according to that video.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how graphics rendering works.

Objects (spaceships) are made up polygons, where each corner (vertex) is a set of points (co-ordinates). To determine the value of each point in a 3D space, you need a point of reference. The point of reference in a video game is the player camera. That means the distance between the camera and polygonal model has to be a 32-bit number, to ensure that the corners of polygons remain 32-bit values, and that calculations performed on those polygons are 32-bit.

So if you see a ship at a 64-bit distance, then it is made up of 64-bit points and any calculation needs to be done as 64-bits, and you will kill your graphics performance.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EDIT: Or is the idea that there is a 32 bit bubble around the player and anything outside that bubble is positioned with 64 bit so that it stays still?

There will not be anything 3D being rendered outside that bubble. For example: you can use the 64-bit co-ordinate of a ship outside the bubble to determine the direction of the ship relative to you and place the HUD marker correctly, but you won't see the ship (hopefully because it is too far away and shouldn't be rendered anyway).

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 3, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The toilet is 62 bit, the turd is 32 bit, and the piece of corn is an object.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also :lol: at you software nerds with your crappy 32bit and 64bit nonsense. HDL for life.

wtf is HDL?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

What bowl?
Don't confuse matters man

Did you ever have a mega drive? They were 16bit but the 32x was released and shook it all up. Star Citizen is a bit like that.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Did you ever have a mega drive? They were 16bit but the 32x was released and shook it all up. Star Citizen is a bit like that.

Except the 32x was and IS still a thing. it actually exists AND works.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

grimcreaper posted:

wtf is HDL?

Hardware Description Language. It's basically like programming at the lowest bit level. It's extremely tedious and annoying but you can make words whatever size you want. Of course this has almost nothing to do with Star Citizen, unless they decided to make custom hardware boards or something.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

I liked it better when we were posting things measured in bites rather than bits.

Ben Lesnick calculates everything in 1 bite

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Objects (spaceships) are made up polygons, where each corner (vertex) is a set of points (co-ordinates). To determine the value of each point in a 3D space, you need a point of reference. The point of reference in a video game is the player camera. That means the distance between the camera and polygonal model has to be a 32-bit number, to ensure that the corners of polygons remain 32-bit values, and that calculations performed on those polygons are 32-bit.

So if you see a ship at a 64-bit distance, then it is made up of 64-bit points and any calculation needs to be done as 64-bits, and you will kill your graphics performance.

There will not be anything 3D being rendered outside that bubble. For example: you can use the 64-bit co-ordinate of a ship outside the bubble to determine the direction of the ship relative to you and place the HUD marker correctly, but you won't see the ship.

I believe they specifically addressed that point awhile back during one of their presentations. The renderer is handed translated 32-bit positions local to the camera position. I'm sure others know more about this, though.

They had a bug that was caused by this very issue, where a 64-bit value was not being translated correctly, which caused the LOD system to not render a particle glow because it assumed the ship was too far to be seen. This video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIXl4Ug3-s

Also, bed time for me, so good night all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

I did!
I remember Virtua Racing being better on the 32x
Thank you this all makes sense now, finally someone with real technical know how weighs in and clears it all up

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I did!
Thank you this all makes sense now, finally someone with real technical know how weighs in and clears it all up

It's fine, my uncle works at Nintendo so I get that alot.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

I did!

Virtua Racing was the best game. I was so jealous of my friend who had the full Genesis setup.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got a Retron 5 recently and will get Virtua racing for it soon because I am a complete loving idiot

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Tokamak posted:

There will not be anything 3D being rendered outside that bubble. For example: you can use the 64-bit c-ordinate of a ship outside the bubble to determine the direction of the ship relative to you and place the HUD marker correctly, but you won't see the ship (hopefully because it is too far away and shouldn't be rendered anyway).

You can, actually, render further objects--but they have to be brought into the 32-bit space first. The crudest method is to simply scale them down to give a false perspective and move them closer to the camera. I don't think CIG will actually do this, because they're desperate to reduce their number of draw calls already and will be culling at every opportunity, but it's not like it isn't an option if they really wanted to do it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Loiosh posted:

I believe they specifically addressed that point awhile back during one of their presentations. The renderer is handed translated 32-bit positions local to the camera position. I'm sure others know more about this, though.

So for all practical purposes its 32-bit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

It's fine, my uncle works at Nintendo so I get that alot.

Can you give us any inside info on Nintendos next console?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I was playing mechwarrior all night, are we still arguing about numbers of bits or whatever?

Also, has anybody actually tried flying across space to see if it's seamless?

Eh whatever, it doesn't really matter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Can you give us any inside info on Nintendos next console?

It's called the Revolution-X and has a new peripheral where you throw discs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Octopode posted:

You can, actually, render further objects--but they have to be brought into the 32-bit space first. The crudest method is to simply scale them down to give a false perspective and move them closer to the camera. I don't think CIG will actually do this, because they're desperate to reduce their number of draw calls already and will be culling at every opportunity, but it's not like it isn't an option if they really wanted to do it.

You're right that they wouldn't do this, and just do things that are more economical for performance. For example sticking to 32-bit for 99.999% of calculations. Even switching between 32-bit and 64-bit representations is dumb, when you can keep everything internally at 32-bit and surface 64-bit representations for the fringe cases that need them.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 3, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kingcom posted:

Its actually just 64 bits of poop though

The toilet is 64 bit. The turds floating around in it are 32 bit. And the corn in the poop are the people, and if you have a multi crew ship you can take some corn out of one poop and put them in another poop. And CIG is the toilet manufacturer, and Cokie Croberts is the head toilet designer.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
This god drat floating point poo poo has me PISSED.

Loiosh, why the gently caress are you continuing to post about 32/64 bit like you know something, if you can't wrap your head around the cliff's notes in other posts? This is clearly a SC mission trip to SA forums. You sound like a flunked-out CIG mentat trying to convert us into space dream revenue, and I, for one, hope you accidentally ploink your gom jabbar into the tip of your dick while fapping to ship jpegs. But we need you so this place doesn't become a joyless echo chamber.

Octopode.. Jesus dude. Don't you have a database migration to watch the logs during?

I'm loving SALTY boys.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tokamak posted:

So for all practical purposes its 32-bit.

There are quite a few games with double precision positioning around.

Yeah, the renderer uses float to draw poo poo around you, but you don't really care if something 20km away from you is glitching the gently caress out by several meters every frame. Even that kind of major glitching can't be observed from so far away.

Why double precision matters is speed. Unlike graphics, physics have to be smooth so you don't fly next to a station and suddenly explode because you moved into it due to a floating point error.

Truga fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 3, 2015

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

FrankieGoes posted:

The toilet is 64 bit. The turds floating around in it are 32 bit. And the corn in the poop are the people, and if you have a multi crew ship you can take some corn out of one poop and put them in another poop. And CIG is the toilet manufacturer, and Cokie Croberts is the head toilet designer.

The toilet is 64 bit, the water is 32 bit. The poop is the ships and the corn in the poop is the players and if you have a mutli crew ship you can take some corn out of one poop and put them in another poop. CIG is the butt making all the poop and CRoberts is the the guy doing lines off the top of the cistern telling the butt what the poop should look like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

I'm loving SALTY boys.

Sixty-Four bits precision Spinach Dip
Servings: 4
Prep. time: 5 min
Cook time: 20 min

Ingredients:
•8 Ounce of cream cheese (room temp)
•1 Teaspoon of garlic powder
•1/3 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
•2 Tablespoon freshly grated Romano cheese
•2 Tablespoon very finely chopped red bell pepper
•2 green onion (scallion) white and green finely chopped
•1 Cup of wilted fresh baby spinach, squeezed dry and chopped (or frozen and thawed)
•1/2 Cup grated medium Cheddar cheese
• a pinch of cayenne and paprika

Cooking instructions:
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.Mix cream cheese, garlic powder, parmesan, romano, cayenne and paprika with hand or stand mixer on medium until softened and well mixed.
3.Add the red peppers and the scallions and mix on med-low until just incorporated.
4.Add spinach and mix on low until just incorporated.
5.Transfer mixture to a small ovenproof dish and top with cheddar. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until bubbling around the edges.
6.Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 - 7 minutes before serving. Serve with fried or baked pita wedges and tortilla chips (nachos).

The salt is in the chips (if you choose that)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben Lesnick calculates everything in 1 bite
Calculating Bens is properly done in chomps rather than bites. You can fake chomps for comparison by approximating 4.5 bites to the average human but there's an accumulating risk of glycemic crash to the entire system the more of these calculations you need to make.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

Calculating Bens is properly done in chomps rather than bites. You can fake chomps for comparison by approximating 4.5 bites to the average human but there's an accumulating risk of glycemic crash to the entire system the more of these calculations you need to make.

But how precise are the chomps vis-a-vis bites? I need to know this before I change my global position on this and go to my local grocer to get testing material.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Has Karl finally hosed himself?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Truga posted:

There are quite a few games with double precision positioning around.

Yeah, the renderer uses float to draw poo poo around you, but you don't really care if something 20km away from you is glitching the gently caress out by several meters every frame. Even that kind of major glitching can't be observed from so far away.

You are right that there are uses for it, but that is not how it has been sold to the citizens. The idea is that its all 64-bit and not hacked together for a handful of use cases. It can't be a ground breaking innovation if other people are doing it. For an openly transparent game, they don't like to go into a lot of detail and leave a lot of it up to the citizen's imagination.

Truga posted:

Why double precision matters is speed. Unlike graphics, physics have to be smooth so you don't fly next to a station and suddenly explode because you moved into it due to a floating point error.

That would be a good argument in SC's favour if the ships didn't randomly clip through stuff, explode, and the player falls through the world.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, certainly. I'm not saying star citizen is something new or bug free, just that it's possible and quite a few people are doing it :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But how precise are the chomps vis-a-vis bites? I need to know this before I change my global position on this and go to my local grocer to get testing material.
Calculating one chomp is done at double-bite precision, but because you need to use aeroplane-spoon arithmetic the chomps->bites conversion gets steadily less precise the more chomps that are involved.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing around a bit now, and unfortunately the shortest distance between two stations I found is 60Mm and some change. I don't have the faith that this game will not crash while trying to go there without warp so I'm not bothering until it's a bit more stable.

What is impressive though, is that this ship is moving at 700m/s and I'm walking around it with zero issues. Unfortunately, the flight chair is bugged and I can't get back into it :v:

e: It's probably worth noting that the distance to my destination is counting down at the correct pace for my speed, so I am apparently making good progress even after >1000km. I think a system actually is one contiguous space.

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 3, 2015

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
Why do developers put in velocity caps in space games that aren't the speed of light?

That sucks you can't just accelerate upto a cruising speed and travel around a solar system or something.

Just another God drat :gary:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ahh Yes posted:

Why do developers put in velocity caps in space games that aren't the speed of light?

That sucks you can't just accelerate upto a cruising speed and travel around a solar system or something.

Just another God drat :gary:

They did for a while, a lot of games which came out in the past 10 years have it.

It's terrible and ruins the combat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

Calculating one chomp is done at double-bite precision, but because you need to use aeroplane-spoon arithmetic the chomps->bites conversion gets steadily less precise the more chomps that are involved.

You can't swap aeroplane for choo-choo-spoon arithmetic? It's a bigger, more capable and stable engine. The only thing aeroplane-spoon does better is speed and dynamic feeding solutions. With train-spoon, you're always on track and they are always on time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Space Skeleton posted:

It's terrible and ruins the combat.

Sounds like something the SC spergs whales would want then! :v:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ghostlight posted:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
hot off the presses yo

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's called the Revolution-X and has a new peripheral where you throw discs

Yeah... I don't know how many people will get that reference. But holy poo poo that game... nostalgiad hard on that one. I always shot the good guys on accident :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah... I don't know how many people will get that reference. But holy poo poo that game... nostalgiad hard on that one. I always shot the good guys on accident :(

I wish there was a sequel where the plot point was that there were no good guys.

Mind blown :aaaaa:

• Locked thread