Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Unzip and Attack posted:

LOL you're actually glad the suspects are Muslim, aren't you? You're a really terrible person.

Not at all. It's terrible in both it confirms the worst fears that islamaphobes have and that it is apparently a devout Muslim who who is confirming those fears and that Muslims will feel the effects of his actions.

I am entertained by the the flood of goonthink after the shooting that happily went along with blaming rightwing aspects and shaming goons for even entertaining the thought of ISIS inspired terrorism suddenly turn face and ignore their own rush to judgement. Even now after the fact there is a rush to judgement about a Muslim cleansing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

So who else wants to join me in drinking till we pass out? You never know, the world might not suck this much when we wake up! :smithicide:

This is what we have to look forward to now.

Shooting after shooting, over and over, watched breathlessly, reported on 24/7, then chopped up and appropriated into whatever agenda it can serve. The news will no longer be about anything other than mass shootings and their fallout.

Imagine a reporter, shoving pictures of corpses into a family member's face, over and over, forever

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

There's no 'S' in 'Trump'

They're gonna be called the Trump Towers and he'll only accept people over 6'4".

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm in a real bad and worried mood so I gotta ask. What would a Trump presidency look like exactly? What is the extent of what he could do with the power that comes with being the PoTUS? How much damage could he theoretically do? What checks and balances could there be to stop him from being a total monster? I'm asking this as a serious question, so please don't post one of the trillion jokes about a Trump America. I've read and laughed at them all.

He could sign all the dumb poo poo the GOP Congress puts in front of him and nominate 2-4 Justices during his term(s). Basically worse than Reagan.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm in a real bad and worried mood so I gotta ask. What would a Trump presidency look like exactly? What is the extent of what he could do with the power that comes with being the PoTUS? How much damage could he theoretically do? What checks and balances could there be to stop him from being a total monster? I'm asking this as a serious question, so please don't post one of the trillion jokes about a Trump America. I've read and laughed at them all.
It's not Trump that's the problem, it's that Republicans would control every branch of government unchecked

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I replied to your pm Fried Chicken, then checked it out. It works. :ninja:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Report first, even if it's wrong, lest ye be scooped.

This is the mindset of too many in the media, even when it comes to local news. Hear it on a scanner? Post to Twitter right away, just preface it with "Sources:"!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

JT Jag posted:

I can't watch this anymore, gently caress

Watch MSNBC.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Of course. Its a gem.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We'd be bombing the poo poo outta ISIL; millions of good paying public-sector jobs with multi-trillion in stimulus spending; single-payer healthcare; and an end to looking weak internationally.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Unzip and Attack posted:

He could sign all the dumb poo poo the GOP Congress puts in front of him and nominate 2-4 Justices during his term(s). Basically worse than Reagan.

And one of those Justices will almost certainly replace RBG, guaranteeing a 6-3 conservative court which will lock in conservative gains for decades to come.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Trump actually won the Presidency he would get less done than the typical GOP candidate. Congress wouldn't put up with his poo poo. Likely he'd not pass much GOP legislation, but would escalate things in the middle east and nominate some judges. If Bush or Rubio get elected then the senate will remove the filibuster and ram down as much legislation as they can in 2 years.

Trump won't win the nomination let alone the Presidency though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kafka Esq. posted:

First rule of damage control is to make sure that nobody blames his family for this by getting their position out first on his own terms. He's a loving hero for putting himself through that.

Yeah, but you could do a short prepared statement from the relative and a community leader or two and avoid the whole circus of reporters bring out photos of dead people to pass around.

Silver Nitrate posted:

Do they usually do a press conference after stuff like this and it's just not covered?

Yes. Well covered, but only in very brief. A line or two in the main article, maybe a paragraph in a side article looking into the shooters family.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

We'd be bombing the poo poo outta ISIL; millions of good paying public-sector jobs with multi-trillion in stimulus spending; single-payer healthcare; and an end to looking weak internationally.

Yo, MIGF, I know you've been trolling a long, long time, but you can't just give away the game that easily!

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You worry about this too much considering the primaries haven't even started. However to humor you probably no worse than 01-06. The rhetoric is more inflammatory but very little else that they want is new, just different starting and end points since society has changed a little bit in the last 10 years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

All the mechanisms the US government has to stop a Presidential action require the cooperation of Congress or the Supreme Court. If all 3 of them are in agreement there's not a whole lot to be done about it (without a revolution, at least).

He's not going to be President, though, even after this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

If Trump actually won the Presidency

... we would legitimately have no idea what the political landscape looks like.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

the_paradigm_shift posted:

You worry about this too much considering the primaries haven't even started. However to humor you probably no worse than 01-06. The rhetoric is more inflammatory but very little else that they want is new, just different starting and end points since society has changed a little bit in the last 10 years.

At least Bush W outright said that we were not at war with Islam after 9/11. It was just talk but christ it was something. That's more than Trump would do.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Republicans posted:

It could be a workplace shooting inspired by radicalism like Nidal Hasan. The accomplices are what make it weird but I guess they were just down with whatever so long as they got to kill people.

Sure, but Nidal Hasan's workplace was a US military base full of US military personnel. It wasn't much of a leap for Hasan to see his victims as soldiers engaged in a war against his religion. These people were, what, clerks and health inspectors? I'm probably just giving Farook too much credit. Maybe he convinced himself that shooting local government officials in the armpit of California was a powerful blow for Islam.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And one of those Justices will almost certainly replace RBG, guaranteeing a 6-3 conservative court which will lock in conservative gains for decades to come.
Is this sarcasm? I doubt this would occur.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We know literally nothing about this and we're pretending it's rolling the red carpet for the GOP less than a year from now, ok.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

... we would legitimately have no idea what the political landscape looks like.

And isn't that just so exciting?

I know what the political landscape would look like with a Trump presidency.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

We know literally nothing about this and we're pretending it's rolling the red carpet for the GOP less than a year from now, ok.

A religious muslim carried out the worst attack since Sandy Hook. What else do we need to know?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

then you are deluded.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Are people right to be so confident that Hilary would run circles around Trump in a 1 on 1 debate and out-campaign him at every level?

Here's the thing, I don't drink so I got nothing to escape to right now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

im arzying at top velocity, op.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are people right to be so confident that Hilary would run circles around Trump in a 1 on 1 debate and out-campaign him at every level?

No.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Notorious RBG will literally command her heart to pump long after her biological death if there's a republican president

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If it was Trump Vs Clinton election, I would say Trump wins.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

RBG is 82 and is the oldest justice on the court. If anyone resigns or dies next, it's probably her, especially given her previous health issues. And if President Trump is in office, well...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No, they're not. Hillary is limited by things called "facts" and her "record"

Trump is an outsider who doesn't let these concepts bog down his politics.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

RBG is 82 and is the oldest justice on the court. If anyone resigns or dies next, it's almost certainly her. And if President Trump is in office, well...

...he'd most likely appoint some Democrat from New York.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ballz posted:

This is the mindset of too many in the media, even when it comes to local news. Hear it on a scanner? Post to Twitter right away, just preface it with "Sources:"!

Source: some poo poo I heard over the radio

It's no different than playing telephone. I was listening to the scanner during the Boston bomber chase and they tagged the suspect as Sunil Tripathi, the same poor dead bastard that Reddit triumphantly fingered as the bomber.

Scanner traffic is utterly worthless as a source.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are people right to be so confident that Hilary would run circles around Trump

It's delusional, and further attacks on innocent people will propel Trump's arguments that Democrats have allowed certain populations to act with impunity, regardless of who is actually doing the shooting.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You'll note only the obvious trolls think trump has a chance, so I think it's pretty clear.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Oh, there was another mass shooting in GA today. I didn't hear about that one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-other-mass-shooting-that-happened-today-in-the-united-states/

quote:

Here’s news you probably missed: A gunman in Savannah, Ga., shot four people early Wednesday, killing a woman and injuring three men. Police haven’t arrested a suspect, said Eunicia Baker, spokesperson for the Savannah Chatham Police Department. They also haven’t released the names of the victims. The local media barely acknowledged the murder: One local television station covered it in three paragraphs.

And the world spun on.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

You'll note only the obvious trolls think trump has a chance, so I think it's pretty clear.

And everyone laughed at the concept of Trump being the front runner. No one is laughing anymore, because its legit scary a man like him could run this country.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yeah, this is the right way to look at it. You just gotta hope that the only increase is in hateful rhetoric and nothing more.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I could honestly see a lot of civil unrest. How do you win the presidency with the poo poo he says and then not attempt to live up to them in some form or another? The question is, what group would cause more unrest, the minority population upset by his outlandish claims or the white base who would feel betrayed if he didn't try to live up to his promises?

And as for the CBS News I posted earlier about the second suspect, I totally eat poo poo on that one.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

People don't even have to vote for Trump. They can just vote against Hillary.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

People said he was just the temporary front-runner and he would be out of the race in favor of an establishment figure by the fall. Well, it's nearly 6 months later and the only time he wasn't leading the polls was for about two weeks when Carson was leading instead. Trump clearly has a non-zero, almost-certainly-double-digit chance of the nomination at this point. And if he has the nomination, that could give him as much as 47% of the vote to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
An all islamic lineup of perpetrators plays right into the NRA narrative of more guns for more people all day every day. There's not even a way to wedge an argument in about a need for gun restraint. Just loving loose the kraken and give everybody a gun at birth.

• Locked thread