Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Is there any point to all the (D) ships sold on the market? Does anyone ever buy those?

It'd be nice if you could do something with them, like scrap two (D) ships of the same type to make a normal one.

Yeah I hope some feature of hull upkeep/upgrading is added in the official Industry update, whenever it comes. We've got examples of Degraded, Normal, and Advanced hulls now. It fits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Is there any point to all the (D) ships sold on the market? Does anyone ever buy those?

It'd be nice if you could do something with them, like scrap two (D) ships of the same type to make a normal one.

They might be theoretically useful for hauling cargo in a pinch or acting as a decoy. But no I've not bought one.

e: ^^^ yeah that's it, all part of the bigger puzzle.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

.7.1 is supposed to make them flood the markets less. I wish you could get a fully functional version of that Mule with the medium universal turret.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
If you're not actually going to use them in combat, Cerberus (D)'s are a solid light freighter - good cargo bay, cheap, fast, highly available. Of course, the fixpatch making (D) hulls into giant sensor blips will probably make that less attractive.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Pavlov posted:

They exist so pirates, the low-level generic enemy, will be flying inferior ships. Theoretically, a new player will be more able to find a fight that he can win if any "even" fight is against a slightly inferior foe. More experienced players who already have good skill can start a new game and fight huge battles and go up several levels at a time. This lets them skip the early game if they find that boring.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

You can rid up an SO Sunder that can fire a plasma cannon for all 150 seconds of peak performance and then some. It's glorious.

The more I play lately the more I realize I just want to get in knife fight range with some kinetic machine guns and as many annihilators as I can cram on a hull. It's just so satisfying.
Oh man I have to try this when I get home.

Only ship I've used with SO so far is my medusa, combined with augmented engines so it can hunt down that 200k bounty retreating in some piece of poo poo frigate.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I would really like to see (D) ships just get moved to easy difficulty, so that they can have some degree of an affect on the world beyond player fodder. They can't even threaten merchant fleets because those fleets are at least faster and are almost always better equipped.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only problem is that the AI cannot comprehend the majesty of the dickship and refuses to use the plasma cannon if you give it any other weapons. Even point defenses will cause it to hang back forever away from everything if there is so much as a single missile on screen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

You are mixing up BRDY and Shadowyards. And shame on the rest of you for not noticing.

Ahh I was wondering why some of the ships didn't seem to match the colour scheme. I'm used to playing them in SS+ with both installed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gobblecoque posted:

I would really like to see (D) ships just get moved to easy difficulty, so that they can have some degree of an affect on the world beyond player fodder. They can't even threaten merchant fleets because those fleets are at least faster and are almost always better equipped.

I really don't like the idea of (D) ships anyway. I'd much rather see them get rid of the junk class and instead make things about tradeoffs. For example there could be a (P) which would be a pirate version which has bigger engines but is really easy to detect on sensors.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Making Pirates faster is absolutely the wrong thing to do. The early game is hard enough, especially for newcomers. If pirates were not only not slower, but actually faster than everyone you can kiss everyone who's not a tactical combat master goodbye, because they'll have to be to survive anything at the start.

Imagine if the basic enemies in Mount and Blade were cavalry instead of peasants - it'd be like that.

Edit: Not there isn't room for a couple of special Pirate-brand pursuit ships, but there would have be safeguards in place to make sure every pirate fleet contains at least 1 D ship to slow the fleet down on the strategic map.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 3, 2015

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I really don't like the idea of (D) ships anyway. I'd much rather see them get rid of the junk class and instead make things about tradeoffs. For example there could be a (P) which would be a pirate version which has bigger engines but is really easy to detect on sensors.

It is likely that there will be some integration with hull types and industry, so when that rolls around the D-type hulls might make more sense. But right now the straight downgrade is extremely unappealing and I basically never utilize a D-type hull. Maybe if he made them consume significantly less supplies or deployment points they would be worth it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DatonKallandor posted:

Making Pirates faster is absolutely the wrong thing to do. The early game is hard enough, especially for newcomers. If pirates were not only not slower, but actually faster than everyone you can kiss everyone who's not a tactical combat master goodbye, because they'll have to be to survive anything at the start.

Imagine if the basic enemies in Mount and Blade were cavalry instead of peasants - it'd be like that.

So, starting with the Khergits or Sarranids, then.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I think you guys are missing the point of the D class ships. The in game blurb literally states that these are ships that would be completely written off in normal times, and only the truly mad or desperate would consider taking one into combat. The player should be avoiding them unless they fit those criteria. With that in mind they are perfectly fine as an enemy class of ship that give new characters an enemy to bully. Pirates do get the short end of the stick in game but the only viable way to help them I could think of that wouldn't also shaft the player would be to lower the number of military patrols in game but then the game world starts to feel empty.

Anyways, anyone else notice with new update that a pretty large area of north and west hyperspace is partitioned out similar to the traversable areas in the south and east? I'm curious if its extra space for modders or maybe perhaps Alex leaving himself room to add more factions down the line? There's enough room for at least 2 more major factions up there without feeling cramped and I don't feel like it would be more of the same since the Hegemony is supposed to be one of if not the largest faction and they are already pretty well penned in to the south-east.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think I've made a huge mistake trying to play for the first time in two major versions with the Interstellar Imperium mod. My biggest problem is less finding weapons for them (though that's also an issue, since I get real spergy with faction mods and try to play almost exclusively with faction ships+faction weapons when I can) and more finding duplicates of those weapons. Babylon, the so called "Interstellar Bazaar" only has about one gun of each type, and it's the only military market that they have. I briefly installed another mod--Diable Avionics--and had no issues finding their poo poo, even in the civilian and black markets. How do shops get more weapon stock, exactly? The last time I played it usually came from giant supply fleets spawning in system, but that obviously doesn't fly anymore.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The problem people have with (D) hulls is mostly how much the black markets are flooded with them instead of useful hardware, which is supposed to be changing for .7.1

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

AtillatheBum posted:

I think you guys are missing the point of the D class ships. The in game blurb literally states that these are ships that would be completely written off in normal times, and only the truly mad or desperate would consider taking one into combat. The player should be avoiding them unless they fit those criteria. With that in mind they are perfectly fine as an enemy class of ship that give new characters an enemy to bully. Pirates do get the short end of the stick in game but the only viable way to help them I could think of that wouldn't also shaft the player would be to lower the number of military patrols in game but then the game world starts to feel empty.

Run down pirates using them make sense. The original question was about why there were so many available to the player though. There just never seems to be a good reason to buy them (besides the odd mentioned cargo hauler). They seem almost more like a liability than an asset. It would be interesting if there was a reason to run fleets of cheap, disposable D ships, but that doesn't ever seem to be a good idea.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Run down pirates using them make sense. The original question was about why there were so many available to the player though. There just never seems to be a good reason to buy them (besides the odd mentioned cargo hauler). They seem almost more like a liability than an asset. It would be interesting if there was a reason to run fleets of cheap, disposable D ships, but that doesn't ever seem to be a good idea.

See the 0.7.1 patch notes, it is unintended that so many (D) hulls are showing up in the markets.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I did once buy a D class ship to give myself that little extra bit of cargo space to haul a huge procurement contract, then immediately sold the ship when I got to my destination.

Did I save money by buying/selling the ship even while using more fuel to get to my destination? Did it work out over the extra supplies I would have burned by being over my cargo limit? (until I consumed enough supplies to get under it on the way..) I have no idea! :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's the luddic path variant. It's ridiculously deadly.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That's the luddic path variant. It's ridiculously deadly.
Yeah no kidding. Those jerks really caught me off-guard in my latest play through. I was steam rolling through poo poo in my wolf and suddenly these assholes burn in and gently caress up my poo poo before I even have a chance to do anything.

Can't wait to see less (D) class in the markets though. The assholes that try to sell that poo poo should be shot. There's just no reason to ever want to buy them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Kenshin posted:

See the 0.7.1 patch notes, it is unintended that so many (D) hulls are showing up in the markets.

I've heard. That just changes the problem from "they're useless, why sell so many" to "they're useless, why sell any at all".

Making due with busted up junkers is pretty thematic for the game, so I'd rather see them present and with a purpose than ignored and marginalized.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

AtillatheBum posted:

Anyways, anyone else notice with new update that a pretty large area of north and west hyperspace is partitioned out similar to the traversable areas in the south and east? I'm curious if its extra space for modders or maybe perhaps Alex leaving himself room to add more factions down the line?

Pretty sure it's explicitly room for modders to add systems. Somebody complained about mods not having space for their own systems without jamming them uncomfortably close to already-existing systems and Alex or the art guy, don't remember which, said, "good point, here's a new galaxy map 150% larger with lots of space for mod systems".

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

McGiggins posted:

Some mod or another does (did?) offer the ability to refit them to full performance for a price.

Maybe the Tiandong mod?

Yep, it is Tiandong indeed and I will be updating it right after SS 0.7.1a drops.

Though to be more specific, it converts the ship into their modified version and this works on (D) and standard hulls.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hope .7.1 comes out soon because I haven't played SS since just before Thanksgiving week and now I'm wanting to play again but not before .7.1 drops.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Would it be possible to add the (D) to Normal conversion option as well, as a basic refit and repair service?

Thematically, it'd be a huge economical service to offer (and help explain how Tiandong keeps economically powerful), and for the player, it would give a purpose to all the (D) ships.

They're not trash, they're fixer uppers! :D

I don't know the difficulty involved, merely my uninformed submission.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

McGiggins posted:

Would it be possible to add the (D) to Normal conversion option as well, as a basic refit and repair service?

I'd like to see this as a use for low levels of the industral skill branch, especially if another one increases the chance of getting salvagable/boardable craft.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, I think I have asked that before. :psyduck:

If so, ignore the suggestion.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Nexerilin

I finally get to see some sort of meat to the campaign and see huge empires try to take plane- oh wait nevermind the invasion fleet's gone off chasing a pirate contact consisting of a single shuttle.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

McGiggins posted:

Thematically, it'd be a huge economical service to offer (and help explain how Tiandong keeps economically powerful), and for the player, it would give a purpose to all the (D) ships.

They're not trash, they're fixer uppers! :D

I don't know the difficulty involved, merely my uninformed submission.

The only way to allow conversion to the standard model and not THI ones would be to just add an entirely different submarket. Due to how this rig works, you can have more than one ship convert into something, but the end result can only be a single type of vessel.

CONVERSION_TABLE.put("conquest", "tiandong_xu_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("atlas", "tiandong_xiakou_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("ii_eagle_i", "tiandong_shouren_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("eagle", "tiandong_shouren_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("venture", "tiandong_dingjun_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("gemini", "tiandong_tianshui_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("ssp_bull", "tiandong_chengdu_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("buffalo2", "tiandong_chengdu_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("buffalo", "tiandong_chengdu_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("ii_hammerhead_i", "tiandong_hujing_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("hammerhead", "tiandong_hujing_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("enforcer", "tiandong_hanzhong_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("roidertarsus", "tiandong_tuolu_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("tarsus", "tiandong_tuolu_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("ssp_camel", "tiandong_guan_du_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("mule", "tiandong_guan_du_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("vigilance", "tiandong_wujun_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("brawler", "tiandong_nanzhong_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("ssp_venom", "tiandong_luo_yang_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("hound", "tiandong_luo_yang_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("lasher", "tiandong_lao_hu_Hull");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("warthog_wing", "tiandong_hefei_wing");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("mining_drone_wing", "tiandong_armoredminingdrone_wing");
CONVERSION_TABLE.put("talon_wing", "tiandong_yiling_wing");

The issue is the station that offers this service already has the max number of markets, and honestly I would rather not have the faction offer the option to fix (D) ships in any manner besides conversion to their own model as it would water down one of the purposes of the mod. Already being able to repair (D) ships / convert normal ones to their version is incredibly powerful, and in the end it would not be terribly hard to create an alternate version of this retrofitting submarket rig for a different station that works in a different manner though I will not be doing this.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
A separate mod that adds a repair shop to the abandoned station (or replaces it with an abandoned Shipyard or something) would probably be incredibly popular.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

A separate mod that adds a repair shop to the abandoned station (or replaces it with an abandoned Shipyard or something) would probably be incredibly popular.

The scripting's just java right? I'm kind of tempted to do this. Meso do you know if the (D) attribute for ships is stored uniformly, or would this take manual conversion tables too?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
If you haven't tried it, assembling a large fleet of the first and cheapest ships you can find and going after big bounties ASAP is loads of fun. My lovely flagship was an Enforcer(D) with an assault chaingun, autocannon, three thumpers, and four rocket launchers. With safety overrides in place, it could keep shooting every barrel for all 200ish seconds of its operational life, and with frequent burn drives it could keep up with my lovely frigate fleet. That rusty bullet bucket claimed at least twenty times its value in bounties before being lost to a pirate Eagle(D)'s dying explosion.

When you pick up a steady pile of lovely cheap frigates, you have a lot of casualties, and a fair amount of logistical overhead, so it's very much worth getting some Leadership & CrewXP skills, so that your Green-padded rosters get competent. Going full murder-hobo with a third-hand black-market crapfleet is maybe more entertaining than having to fret about every lost Wolf, and I would be sad to see shitps go.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting constant null crashes :negative:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StringOfLetters posted:

If you haven't tried it, assembling a large fleet of the first and cheapest ships you can find and going after big bounties ASAP is loads of fun. My lovely flagship was an Enforcer(D) with an assault chaingun, autocannon, three thumpers, and four rocket launchers. With safety overrides in place, it could keep shooting every barrel for all 200ish seconds of its operational life, and with frequent burn drives it could keep up with my lovely frigate fleet. That rusty bullet bucket claimed at least twenty times its value in bounties before being lost to a pirate Eagle(D)'s dying explosion.

When you pick up a steady pile of lovely cheap frigates, you have a lot of casualties, and a fair amount of logistical overhead, so it's very much worth getting some Leadership & CrewXP skills, so that your Green-padded rosters get competent. Going full murder-hobo with a third-hand black-market crapfleet is maybe more entertaining than having to fret about every lost Wolf, and I would be sad to see shitps go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKKOPIvXEHU but a little shittier

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Annihilator Rockets are the loving best, especially on Enforcers where you get four of them at once.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

I'm getting constant null crashes :negative:

I assume you play with mods and one of them have a misspelled reference somewhere. Sometimes mod authors miss these things since they need to be triggered by player interaction/world generation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Patch is out http://fractalsoftworks.com/2015/12/04/starsector-0-7-1a-release/

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Now we just need BRDY ASAP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I played the campaign for the first time, after a maybe 2 hours of missions to figure out the controls and it was just as difficult as I'd expect. After losing my starter ship several times, I ended up successfully trading hundreds of units of heavy machinery for huge profits, and ended up buying a fast carrier with 3 fighter wings. I easily destroyed a bunch of wimpy fleets in hyperspace only to jump to a system with no market or fuel and starving to death. 5/5