Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Man I have to disagree, Hosho is probably my favorite carrier to play. You dont have to worry about AA and the plane loadout means you can get confederates pretty much on demand for those sweet sweet +xp flags. No one at tier 4 seems to know how to dodge torps, and with a 15+ point captain you can destroy Langley fighters (unless they're playing the same).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

PerniciousKnid posted:

But I like my T3 Russian DD a lot, it might be my favorite boat right now.
I like Derpski a lot. Yes your torpedoes have 3km range but things at your tier are usually not accurate and/or not fast enough to prevent you from closing the distance. When you close the distance your 10 torpedoes with 20 seconds reload time make everything die. It got best guns among its peers as well I think.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

ranbo das posted:

Man I have to disagree, Hosho is probably my favorite carrier to play. You dont have to worry about AA and the plane loadout means you can get confederates pretty much on demand for those sweet sweet +xp flags. No one at tier 4 seems to know how to dodge torps, and with a 15+ point captain you can destroy Langley fighters (unless they're playing the same).

With a 6 point captain, it's much rougher with air to air. Any advice on aiming torpedoes? I've watched a few videos, but it still seems like the red battleships turn between my spread most of the time.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

MREBoy posted:

Back in mid June, Wargaming teamed up with HumbleBundle.com and offered a code good for a Murmansk, 5 port slots, 1000 gold and a week of premium to go along with all the other crap in the E3 Digital Ticket Humble Bundle bundle. A rather large amount of people went and bought it because hey, WoWs Closed Beta access, a cool ship and some other stuff starting at $1.00, depending on how greedy/charitable you were feeling. Then The Mother Of All Fuckups™ happened - Wargaming initially said this stuff was permanent, but in actuality the Murmansk was supposed to be a limited lifetime/test drive thing (something like a week or so) then it would be auto-deleted... and let this messaging fuckup last an entire week. Cue MASSIVE INTERNET RAEG :argh: :supaburn:, threadnoughts on the forums, and a week of Internet lawyers threatening charge-backs & false advertising complaints and so on. Wargaming actually owned up and took the blame, did The Right Thing™ and let everyone keep the Murmansk.

Reading mats:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/34287-important-humble-bundle-e3-digital-ticket-information/

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/35557-humble-bundle-update/

So naturally while they were available, some people bought how many ever of these E3 Digital Ticket Humble Bundle bundles they could gin up email addresses for and started reselling them. Kinguin (never been there) is apparently some game code reselling site, and you might be able to get one of these codes there. Be aware the codes expire on Dec 31st 2015.

Huh. Alright, I bought. Kinguin DOES have the codes for sale at about eight bucks a pop (with all fees). That gets the Murmansk, a thousand dabloobs, and a week of premium time. Totally worth it, I'd say. We'll see if it's worth the hype.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

Huh. Alright, I bought. Kinguin DOES have the codes for sale at about eight bucks a pop (with all fees). That gets the Murmansk, a thousand dabloobs, and a week of premium time. Totally worth it, I'd say. We'll see if it's worth the hype.

Yeah that code is totally worth it. I don't play the Murmansk a ton, but when I do I usually stick a +20% credits flag on it you get from First Blood.

I was pleasantly surprised today to see x3 across the bottom of my screen again tonight.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Today I learned I can't use my Langley to sneak across the middle of the map and capture the enemy flag.

Edit: The people in game chat yelled at me. :(

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

This bote is ridonkulous:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Humbaba posted:

Any advice on aiming torpedoes? I've watched a few videos, but it still seems like the red battleships turn between my spread most of the time.

If you're not using manual drops, you need to be (press the alt key). Don't place the aiming reticle on the water until your planes are nearing the white-dotted 'point-of-no-return' line---this gives you the most amount of time to account for the ship's maneuvering before the aircraft have to commit to the drop. Try to anticipate any maneuvers the ship is doing---zooming in helps with this. For example, if you see an enemy battleship trying to turn into your bombers, fly them towards his stern and then adjust the angle of the drop so the torpedo fan-reticle will be at a 90-degree angle to where his ship will be in a few seconds. Finally, get a feel for how far your torpedoes have to travel before they arm, and try to have your torps hit the water right at the edge of that range.

Most of all though, getting your torpedoes to actually hit poo poo just involves some practice.

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 1, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cobbsprite posted:

Is this still a thing, for NA? I couldn't find anything WoWs related on Kinguin. Also, if it is a thing, you do get to keep the ship forever now right?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is this still a thing, for NA? I couldn't find anything WoWs related on Kinguin. Also, if it is a thing, you do get to keep the ship forever now right?

Don't use Kinguin's search engine, it's bad. I googled "Murmansk World of Warships code" and the Kinguin link came up. Or you could be a lazybones and just click here.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cobbsprite posted:

Don't use Kinguin's search engine, it's bad. I googled "Murmansk World of Warships code" and the Kinguin link came up. Or you could be a lazybones and just click here.

My laziest of bones thank you!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/project-r-announcement-restore-the-kamikaze/

SEA server gets an interesting event. Lets hope this comes to other servers as well.
I bet the event comes to all the servers except EU, because :wargaming:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Is this a typo? The new mission reward for sinking 25 ships is 15 flags? That seems a little light.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

jownzy posted:

Is this a typo? The new mission reward for sinking 25 ships is 15 flags? That seems a little light.

Well, sinking 25 ships is a really easy mission.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Cobbsprite posted:

Not really. It takes time. Probably 25+ matches for the average player. And you only have 3 days to do it. It's a crappy mission imho.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Cobbsprite posted:

Yes, sinking ships is easy, but I was hoping the mission rewards would be a little bit more substantive, like the previous 4.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

PirateBob posted:

Not really. It takes time. Probably 25+ matches for the average player. And you only have 3 days to do it. It's a crappy mission imho.

could be worse. they could be having you use a carrier to damage other carr--oh wait

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
also two of the reward flags are the good ones: the +50% exp flag and the +20% credits flag so it's a better reward than 3,000 free exp for completing an exercise in masochism

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I just spent 12,000 Free XP to push past my Langley and Drop myself into a Bogue. Sky Cancer or not, it's a hell of a lot of fun when you can lay the pain down on the enemy.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cobbsprite posted:

I just spent 12,000 Free XP to push past my Langley and Drop myself into a Bogue. Sky Cancer or not, it's a hell of a lot of fun when you can lay the pain down on the enemy.

I hope you have enough free xp to get to the next carrier, because the Bogue is prettier looking version of the langley and nothing more.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of carriers, I was just in a game with my Fletcher and managed to find the enemy Taiho sitting still on their side of the map, even after I've been spotting him for a while. 4 torps later he's sitting still at the bottom of the ocean and I'm thinking our Essex should clean up pretty easily with no fighter opposition.

Nope. He was fighter specced. Those two dive-bomber squadrons didn't do much and he just barely scored above a guy that died in the first 3 minutes.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Every time an Essex or Midway does NOT take its 2 TB squads, a tanks player starts playing boats. Think of the children!

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Was really happy to achieve rank 4 today.
Really happy to be back at rank 6 7.

The incentives for winning must not be high enough, because tards are giving away games on a platter, and I'm never on the receiving end.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 2, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I wish I could take the not-fighter-spec on my american carriers. Unfortunately it's like game theory with other carriers because you WILL get your poo poo shot down when pubbies take fighter spec vs. your 1-1-1 or w/e

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Was really happy to achieve rank 4 today.
Really happy to be back at rank 6 7.

The incentives for winning must not be high enough, because tards are giving away games on a platter, and I'm never on the receiving end.

You got to 4? Around how long was it taking to get a match at Rank 5 and lower?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I wish I could take the not-fighter-spec on my american carriers. Unfortunately it's like game theory with other carriers because you WILL get your poo poo shot down when pubbies take fighter spec vs. your 1-1-1 or w/e

Take some solace in the fact that it's like MAD and they're doing nothing except cancel you out.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

You got to 4? Around how long was it taking to get a match at Rank 5 and lower?

If you play after 2pm CST, it seems you can start to get some games... once you get games going they seem to continue going. The biggest battle is getting the first ones to start. No one joins and stays in the queue with 2 people.

But yeah, enough games to lose 10 games in a row.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
My best ever game. 222k damage in the Murmansk. 7 kills, seconds away from an 8th but time ran out.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

El Disco posted:

Take some solace in the fact that it's like MAD and they're doing nothing except cancel you out.

yea but thats no fun. honestly i wish the carrier v. carrier mechanics werent simply "more and/or higher tier fighters = win." you should be able to compete with the enemy carrier despite having less fighters.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So a thing happened

1) :stonklol:
2) i thought anime nerds in boats couldn't shut up about kancolle so why didn't they do kancolle

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

blowfish posted:

So a thing happened

2) i thought anime nerds in boats couldn't shut up about kancolle so why didn't they do kancolle

Kancolle is a game company, so it's a direct competitor.

EDIT: I should probably put "game" in quotes there, it's less of a game than Farmville.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Kancolle is a game company, so it's a direct competitor.

EDIT: I should probably put "game" in quotes there, it's less of a game than Farmville.

Ah ok.

Also, I finally got rank 10 but my first league flag is missing :argh:

The Aoba was the best ship to get up to rank 10 in my experience since it can take anything except a competent Cleveland 1v1 when team coordination breaks down near the end. The guns are adequate to kill destroyers eventually, any German and Japanese cruisers (and the Omaha) will reliably take citadel hits, and armor angling + a bit of maneuvering works well enough to just rush isolated BBs and torpedo them from up close unless they manage a plunging citadel hit at long range. Basically just point the Aoba straight at your target and keep firing till it dies, or turn at the last second to avoid a crash and dump some torpedos while you're at it.

I'm finally starting to get some reliably decent results with the Myoko in ranked battles as opposed to random battles, probably because I'm not getting shot at by two BBs from different sides of the map all the time.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I'm really enjoying the Nagato. As nice as it was to have a dozen guns on the Fuso, the 16" guns just feel so much more dangerous. Getting way more citadels.

Does anyone use the Secondary Upgrade on it? I'm thinking that will probably be worthwhile on the Izumo and Yamato since they have a longer base range.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

I'm really enjoying the Nagato. As nice as it was to have a dozen guns on the Fuso, the 16" guns just feel so much more dangerous. Getting way more citadels.

Does anyone use the Secondary Upgrade on it? I'm thinking that will probably be worthwhile on the Izumo and Yamato since they have a longer base range.
The secondaries are a nick gimmick, but ultimately its your primary armament that is going to be doing all the heavy lifting. I wouldn't recommend trying to go through the initial grind with the secondaries upgrade, do it after you've made elite on the ship and just play it for fun.

blowfish posted:

So a thing happened

pretty sure kancolle isn't doing a crossover cuz the people who make it really hate non-japanese people playing their game or something, :japan:

blowfish posted:

Ah ok.

Also, I finally got rank 10 but my first league flag is missing :argh:

The Aoba was the best ship to get up to rank 10 in my experience since it can take anything except a competent Cleveland 1v1 when team coordination breaks down near the end. The guns are adequate to kill destroyers eventually, any German and Japanese cruisers (and the Omaha) will reliably take citadel hits, and armor angling + a bit of maneuvering works well enough to just rush isolated BBs and torpedo them from up close unless they manage a plunging citadel hit at long range. Basically just point the Aoba straight at your target and keep firing till it dies, or turn at the last second to avoid a crash and dump some torpedos while you're at it.

I'm finally starting to get some reliably decent results with the Myoko in ranked battles as opposed to random battles, probably because I'm not getting shot at by two BBs from different sides of the map all the time.
Your flag changes every time you change leagues, and they aren't permanent, they disappear at the end of the season. You need to hit rank 1 to get a permanent flag, the jolly roger.
Unless you really dont have a better ship, I wouldn't take the Myoko out. It'll lose to an equally skilled New Orleans, still gets plastered by NCs and Amagis, doesn't provide the sheer volume of fire a Mogami can, nor has the repair party of the Atago. All you WILL do is just give your team a T7 to balance out the enemy team's Kiev.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

blowfish posted:

So a thing happened

anime belongs in the trash

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
the accumulated filth of all their waifus and anime will foam up around their sterns and all the BBs and CAs will look up and shout "Save Us!"
and I'll look down and whisper
"poi"

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Note to Self: The only people still playing at 1AM are ridiculously good and make me look like a scrub.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The secondaries are a nick gimmick, but ultimately its your primary armament that is going to be doing all the heavy lifting. I wouldn't recommend trying to go through the initial grind with the secondaries upgrade, do it after you've made elite on the ship and just play it for fun.

pretty sure kancolle isn't doing a crossover cuz the people who make it really hate non-japanese people playing their game or something, :japan:

Your flag changes every time you change leagues, and they aren't permanent, they disappear at the end of the season. You need to hit rank 1 to get a permanent flag, the jolly roger.
Unless you really dont have a better ship, I wouldn't take the Myoko out. It'll lose to an equally skilled New Orleans, still gets plastered by NCs and Amagis, doesn't provide the sheer volume of fire a Mogami can, nor has the repair party of the Atago. All you WILL do is just give your team a T7 to balance out the enemy team's Kiev.

I'm a scrub with no other high tier ships so :shrug:, though I might get the Atago at some point. I haven't gone down in rank so I definitely have the wrong flag.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

blowfish posted:

I'm a scrub with no other high tier ships so :shrug:, though I might get the Atago at some point. I haven't gone down in rank so I definitely have the wrong flag.

?
Rank 20+ is a 1 star flag, Rank 10+ is a 2 star flag, Rank 5+ is a red 3 star flag. Rank 10 is irrevocable anyways, and the Rank 5 flag is kept even if you fall back to 6, so I dunno. If you're running a 1 star flag at Rank 10 its probably a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

They're using Arpeggio because it has actual ships in it. If you're familiar with the TV show Andromeda then congratulations, you now have a fairly good idea as to what the "cute girls" in the series actually are. If not, the best way to say it is that they are hyper-advanced AIs, using "human" bodies made of nanomaterials, to interact with the world and gain a better understanding of humans, with female avatars initially being chosen due to most of the world referring to ships in the feminine sense. More specifically, when they initially appeared they crushed their opposition through sheer brute force, with tactics being basically unknown, and their leadership realized that if humans had technology of the same level, the Fleet would have lost easily. In the years since, the orders have basically gone down for all ships capable of generating one(heavy cruisers and above, along with at least some subs) to do so, and learn more about humans along with acting as such. Or that's the supposed reason, as there have been more than a few hints that whoever is ultimately in charge may have had other intentions. As at the present time, multiple factions have formed and some have even defected among what was at one time basically a homogenous, single-minded group.

As for the series itself, it is a rather good near-future sci-fi work. The fleet appeared in 2038 and very quickly flattened all of Earth's fleets, before stopping from going further for unknown reasons, and instituting what is effectively a global naval blockade - including aerial transport over said waters. While the world at large has only received brief mentions so far, what has been mentioned generally tracks with what would actually happen if virtually all non-landbound global trade was cut off. More specifically, the US is doing relatively fine, whereas Europe has fallen into another war. Island nations, with both the UK and Japan coming up, have unsurprisingly had the worst of it. Japan as a country has both fragmented into several governments, along with more than a little highly unethical poo poo being done to survive - and even then they're relying on occasional orbital transports from the US carrying relief supplies(The Fleet has demonstrated the ability to shoot stuff out of orbit, but they seem to generally let those through).