Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Hope you don't enjoy eating fresh produce.

Vegetables are for nerds, Iceland has a big gym culture so if you aren't pumping iron and eating whole reindeer then you're probably playing EvE in which case you're lost already

Edit - also you can admire cool volcanoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Am I the only calm fucker left here tonight?

im keeping it 300 like the romans, myself

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Some of you guys are acting like a Trump nomination won't bring out extra people that will vote for Not Trump, too. It goes both ways.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
http://abcnews.go.com/Live

Police conference just started testing mics.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grouchio posted:

Am I the only calm fucker left here tonight?

I was angry and then I retreated back into the zone of nihilism, the only way to deal with the political reality.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lemming posted:

10% less than someone who lost in what is widely considered to be pretty much a landslide is not really a strong argument in Trump's favor.

Except that Romney was polling about as well as Trump (44% instead of 43%) this far out from 2012.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senf posted:

Some of you guys are acting like a Trump nomination won't bring out extra people that will vote for Not Trump, too. It goes both ways.

This won't happen due to liberal apathy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump will outperform Reagan's '84 results.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Head to head polls are total bullshit during primaries.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Trump will not be president, azry.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Guys you need to calm the gently caress down worrying about Trump.

Election aren't about loving winning debates they are about loving winning states.

Romney wasn't more likeable than Obama? Obama was poison in his second campaign. He had loving right wing media attacking him nonstop and Obamacare was a poison pill.

Trump has one base and demographic and one base and demographic only. White males. He can do fine with them but you underestimate how the game is played and outrage news cycles.

Clinton can totally lose a debate and win a election. She can even be behind in the national polls and win a election.

Trump is pure bluster. Clinton should probably seem week against him, let him feel high and mighty, and let him say some really sexist poo poo. That will get big play in the media and in general elections that stuff matters.

Clinton automatically has a in with ladies but outrage drives votes and Trump's biggest strength amongst the GOP base is also his biggest weakness. His bluster makes him poisonous to all minority groups. Even republican Hispanics will have a hard time voting for him. I know my hardcore republican hispanic regularly calls the man satan and will refuse to vote for him - and would probably even vote for Hillary if it came down to the two.

Clinton has African Americans, Hispanics, and White Women in her pocket.

The major swing states are Virginia, Florida, Ohio, and Colorado

Demographics will firmly lock Florida for her if she plays her cards right.

I do not see Colorado or Ohio being stronghold for trumps base. I would expect Hillary to perform better there than Trump would.

I'm not as worried as you are. I realize a muslim attack makes you think everyones going to blame democrats but we have had muslim attacks in the past and no one remembers the fort hood shooting or the boston bombings. They aren' brough up in the debates. This is not going to be brought up in debates 6 months from now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dude, find some other data to freak out about. A year out those polls mean almost nothing, and if they did, they would say Trump is screwed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Black Baby Goku posted:

If he is the only choice they have, they will vote for him

Nah, most of them will stay home. That's why the sane people on the right are doing everything they can to keep him from winning, he'll ruin the entire down ticket in almost every state.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Republicans posted:

Nah, most of them will stay home. That's why the sane people on the right are doing everything they can to keep him from winning, he'll ruin the entire down ticket in almost every state.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
trump either will or wont be the nominee and then will either win or lose the general — further updates as events warrant

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

What just happened at the police presser? Everyone started laughing and jumped out of their seats while looking down at the ground.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Black Baby Goku posted:

You have no idea what you are talking about.
Signed, expert political analyst Black Baby Goku

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Senf posted:

What just happened at the police presser? Everyone started laughing and jumped out of their seats while looking down at the ground.

Making room for another camera.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

JT Jag posted:

Signed, expert political analyst Black Baby Goku

Dude just because he's a baby doesn't mean he isn't knowledgeable

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a poli sci major, you can trust me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Love the cursing on the hot mics

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lessail posted:

Dude just because he's a baby doesn't mean he isn't knowledgeable

i dont think hes actually a baby, and im starting to wonder about the goku thing too

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Republicans posted:

Weren't there some post-2012 studies that "showed" this happened to Romney?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Senf posted:

They were laughing and joking around during the last presser. It was pretty jarring. It is almost like they don't know the cameras are on them, and it is a horrible optic. The officer for public relations was laughing her rear end off as was the ATF agent, then when the presser started they all lined up and looked solemn. I'm wondering if they are going to be called out on this behavior over the next few days.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

CalmDownMate posted:

I'm not as worried as you are. I realize a muslim attack makes you think everyones going to blame democrats but we have had muslim attacks in the past and no one remembers the fort hood shooting or the boston bombings. They aren' brough up in the debates. This is not going to be brought up in debates 6 months from now.

It's somehow sad that a tragedy like this will be 'forgotten' 6 months on.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Pohl posted:

TI'm wondering if [the police] are going to be called out on [their] behavior over the next few days.

ahahahhahahahaahhahahahah

no.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

It's hard to believe that anyone besides Hilary is even a real candidate. Her only weakness is her inevitability, everyone else has like no chance.

Torlo Hans
Apr 23, 2005

La familia es todo.
Dinosaur Gum

Pohl posted:

They were laughing and joking around during the last presser. It was pretty jarring. It is almost like they don't know the cameras are on them, and it is a horrible optic. The officer for public relations was laughing her rear end off as was the ATF agent, then when the presser started they all lined up and looked solemn. I'm wondering if they are going to be called out on this behavior over the next few days.

Yeah, it looks like they're all having a jolly ol' time. Conference is starting.

http://abcnews.go.com/Live

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lemming posted:

Dude, find some other data to freak out about. A year out those polls mean almost nothing, and if they did, they would say Trump is screwed.

I'm not trying to say that the poll means that Trump WILL behave like Romney. But rather that Trump performing as well as Romney belies the claim that Trump cannot compete against Hillary. If Romney can come from a meaningless 44% to take 47% in a general, it is entirely possible for Trump to do likewise. If Trump were really a hopeless cause and likely to keep Republicans home, it seems to me that that would bear out in a weaker-than-normal head-to-head poll. But he's doing about as well as Romney and clearly picks up a sizable portion of Republicans to his credit who otherwise aren't favoring him in the primary polling.

Now there are plenty of other reasons to believe he couldn't (big money might stay home, because they may not like what Trump means for their chances to control public discourse and public policy) but all things considered the same, there is absolutely a path for Trump to be competitive if Republicans behave the way they have in the past (i.e. getting behind their candidate despite his credentials). But then again, we've never seen the non-establishment wing win a nomination since Goldwater.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 3, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Trump will outperform Reagan's '84 results.

I would not discount this possibility.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

PhazonLink posted:

Weren't there some post-2012 studies that "showed" this happened to Romney?

Nope, turn-out among self-described conservatives was as high as it ever was. It's that liberal turn-out also remained high and moderates favored Obama.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

toanoradian posted:

Better than becoming like Benghazi.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

gently caress. Here we go.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Whats with the local pity party?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pohl posted:

They're ecstatic because not only do they all get to keep their jobs, they'll get a pay raise as the front line soldiers in the new U.S. war against Islamic Domestic Terrorism. They get new guns, new equipment, more of that old military equipment we wanted them to loose, more funding, more police officers. This poo poo is a huge win for our Militarized police and the U.S. For Profit Prison Industry. It's bigger than the Boston Bombing ever could have been.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pohl posted:

They shouldn't be, if they are

Most people there have either been in a high stress panic state all day and need to laugh or they'll snap, or are conditioned to this kind of thing and able to compartmentalize to a degree that tends to disturb people unaccustomed to being around sickness and death constantly

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

toanoradian posted:

There will be at least five more national tragedies between then and now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

They'll get increased federal aid to combat terror.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
at this far out only indicator of how the head to head will go will be overall economy. So watch to see if Yellen heeds the banks calls and raises rates. If so it has strong possibility to derail what little growth and recovery we have had, and really hurt Clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Crowsbeak posted:

It turns out that Islamic terrorism can melt the steel beams holding up the Democratic Party's big tent.

• Locked thread